Start by marking “Rachel's Legacy (Horowitz Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rachel's Legacy (Horowitz Chronicles, #2)

Rachel's Legacy

(Horowitz Chronicles #2)

When Dr Kobi Voight is given a set of old letters by his mother he has no inkling that they will lead him around the world and deep into the tragic past of his family.
Within the letters - written in Hebrew and filled with delicate illustrations - lie the reflections of a young Jewish woman, forced to give up her baby daughter while fighting with the Resistance in Berlin.
Wh
Paperback, First, 312 pages
Published March 1st 2016 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Rachel's Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rachel's Legacy

Jan Carpenter
Entertaining but not compelling.......

Interesting story with this book being almost a series of short stories, via the chapters, but it jumps from one era to another and from one character to another quickly; the flow is sometimes confusing. As I read more of the book I questioned the sequence of these individual stories. It's often difficult to remember which character is from which era. This " compilation" of events centers around one particular character who is central to all other characters
Arty Mist
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The sequel to The keeper of secrets, this book continues the story of the Horowitz family saga from war torn Berlin to present day America and Australia. Another book I couldn't put down, I thoroughly recommend it but only after you have read the first book.
Marcus Hobson
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-zealand
This is an excellent read and has achieved something special by being even better than Julie Thomas' first novel in the series, The Keeper of Secrets.

We are still following the Horowitz family and whereas previously we focused on the priceless violin they lost to the Nazis, saw it looted by the Russians and then find its way back into the hands of a young Horowitz, this time we are following a priceless artwork, a painting by the German master Albrecht Durer.
Rachel's real legacy, however, was a
Mary Beth
Mar 15, 2016 rated it liked it
In my experience the second book in a series never lives up to the first, and this is no exception. It is the sequel to The Keeper of Secrets. I just didn't relate to the new characters. Kobi Voight is an Australian Professor who goes to Germany to study art, in particular the artist Durer, and ends up finding out about his own family's past. Some of the same characters from the previous book are important to this story, too, and their stories are the best parts. Kobi's endless visits to museum ...more
Eugenea Pollock
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well, I am now totally sucked into the Horowitz family saga. Period. I like them all, even the occasional pain-in-the-posterior. Every family has one or two, and so do they. Their past is a story of triumph in adversity, and their present is one of promise fulfilled. I look forward to the 3rd novel (in progress). I am definitely on board for the duration! Really satisfying read that is very hard to put down. Second time through, same conclusion. Now (2018) the third book is out, and I’m anxious ...more
Toni
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, harp
This is the sequel to The Secret Keeper. If you loved that you will LOVE this one. Its the story of Rachel who was a Jew in Germany during the second world war. She became a resistance worker and gave up her child in order to keep her child safe. Letters Rachel had written to daughter and given to a friend for safekeeping came into the hands of Kobi who just had to solve the mystery of what had happened to all the people that Rachel had written about. Keep some tissues handy.
Pauleen
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-ebooks
I'm not sure it would be accurate to say I enjoyed this book but it certainly kept me engaged. While some of the story is familiar from the broader brush of history, events are always more poignant at an individual level. Once again it raises the issues of inherited memories, family secrets and the power of life as we know it.

There were quite a few twists in the tale, though some misused, or misreported, the technology of DNA testing. I will be looking out for the third in the series.
Maria
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent read! Kobi's journey that leads him into his past is fascinating and so believable. The action and reactions of the characters and family and the feelings you get as you read the letters along with Kobi are excellent. It's filled with little twists and turns that take you on an amazing journey.
Bianca
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romans
Wat een machtig indrukwekkende roman. Eén die me nog lang bij zal blijven. Prachtig beschreven rijgt het verhaal zich pagina na pagina aaneen. Ik heb zelden zo'n mooie roman over de tweede wereldoorlog gelezen.
Sharon
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-2016
I so enjoyed this book as a follow up to "The Keeper of Secrets". The story gives you more information as to what happens to the rest of the family members and it is so well done!
Angelique Simonsen
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
great read can't wait for number three.
Anne Barwell
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
Loved, and was reaching for tissues in the last few chapters. Even better than the first book in the series which I enjoyed too. Looking forward to book 3.
Riana Davis
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great historical content. Sry interesting and personable. I want to read the keepers secret and Levi's war.
Bettyanne Taylor
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read

If you have an interest in historical fiction, this is a must read. Wonderful and sad at the same time.
Nicole Hagenaars
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wederom een meeslepend mooi verhaal
Ella
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Rachels geschiedenis was wel interessant maar de manier waarop het verhaal is verteld is nogal simpel. Geen mooie stijl en ook niet foutloos.
Carla
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, fiction, dutch
I give this book 3.5 . I really like the base story line, just didn't like some coincidences and the quickness of the elder brothers accept Kobi's story (especially with his obvious interest in the painting).

2018 Books #32
Anna
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This isn't the sort of book I would normally read but I've really enjoyed it.
I didn't realise it was the second in a series until I was nearly finished. I think that explains why I felt there should have been more suspense than there was.
I'm looking forward to the third book but I'll have to read the first one and reread this one before then. I suspect it will read quite differently with added knowledge from the first book.
Rosemary Dreyer
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 Stars: I just read The Keeper of Secrets, the book previous to this one by the same author. Her writing is not brilliant, but she tells an interesting story. Since this book came out of the other, I was more engaged because I knew the characters. The stories of the Holocaust survivors needs to be shared over and over and over again. The horrors should not dwindle with time. I applaud this writer for keeping alive the spirit of those who survived.
Trish Gribben
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Julie Thomas has a gift for a psychological narrative immersed in history that makes for a compelling read. Rachel's legacy is a sequel to The Keeper of Secrets, a novel that tells the heart-breaking story of the Horowitz family and an heirloom violin, through the Nazi nightmare to Australia. Julie's research is detailed but she writes it lightly into the text. Perfect holiday reading.
Ella
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, 5-stars
ONE OF MY FAV BOOKS OF 2016. I was so blown away by this novel and can't properly put into words how freaking AMAZING it actually was. Read it! Read it! Read it!!
Jane
Sep 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Good but not brilliant. I enjoyed keeper of secrets much more than this. In saying that I'll still look forward to the third one in 2017.
Hilary Browning
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
The much anticipated sequel to The Keeper of Secrets, following the fortunes of the Horowitz family from pre-war Berlin to the present.
Kizzy Haentjens
Jun 05, 2016
Sharon
Oct 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Mijn vader is een vliegtuig
  • De poppendokter
  • Enter (Rebound, #1)
  • Broertje
  • Portret van een man
  • Bestemd voor mij
  • Vallen
  • Schaduwkinderen (Cirkel van het Kwaad, #1)
  • Leven zonder filter
  • Hoe alles moest beginnen
  • La Mémoire des murs
  • Later als ik dood ben
  • Helemaal het einde
  • Dijk
  • Walking Into the Night
  • Joodse buren
  • Eindspel (De Noordzeemoorden, #4)
  • Molly's Game
Julie started writing at the age of eight, stories about pre-revolutionary Russian princesses who rode troikas through the snow. She has worked in the media for over 25 years, radio, TV and film. She has written three novels and seven feature film scripts. In 2011 she sold her house in Auckland and moved two hours south to Cambridge, a glorious English style village, not unlike St Mary Mede. She s ...more

Horowitz Chronicles (3 books)
  • The Keeper of Secrets (Horowitz Chronicles, #1)
  • Levi's War (Horowitz Chronicles, #3)