Start by marking “Write What Matters For Yourself, For Others” as Want to Read:
Write What Matters For Yourself, For Others

Write What Matters For Yourself, For Others

Many want to write. But sometimes they lose heart. They are cowed in the face of so many fine writers of fiction, memoir, poetry, columns, and creative nonfiction. Their confidence wanes. If you want to write, but are hesitant, let Tom Romano lift your confidence. In Write What Matters you will find discussions of writing processes that make sense, demonstrations of effect ...more
Published October 24th 2015 by Zigzag Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Write What Matters For Yourself, For Others, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Write What Matters For Yourself, For Others

Beth
Long-time teacher and writer Tom Romano's seventh book is just as inspiring as all of his others. This book has a somewhat different feel to it though. Write What Matters has more of an imperative tone than his previous books, but it's done in a kindly, inspiring way, not a condescending way like The Elements of Style is, for example. Romano comes across as the wise sage, ready to take on his young charge, not unlike say a Mr. Miyagi or an Obi-Wan Kenobi.

I love Romano's use of short chapters, m
Paul  Hankins
Love this one by Tom Romano. He is a "distant teacher" of mine. Mentor text. I've read this one over and over since its release. I want to put it your reading radar. The shorter elements of the text with a focus on one element of writing makes the book very useful by way of pulling out sections to share with students. Lots of wisdom here like "trust the gush" and "writing is finding faith in the fragments."
Melissa
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
A teacher who cares! Tom Romano brings the reader into the everyday writing life of someone passionate at what they do. He leads the reader into word connections he has made throughout his life, whether it be a friend's short phrase or a lengthy text; he uses these connections to drive writing. He asks the reader to do the same. Use writing to think about, to reflect on, and to develop the person you want to be.

As any good writer will tell you - just write - Romano guides the reader by naming wr
Shana Karnes
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent book I read almost back-to-back with Mary Oliver's A Poetry Handbook. Similar to Mary, who was a poet writing about how to read and write poems, Tom is a writer who is writing about how read and write whatever matters to you. His wordsmithing is evident in his descriptions, and I loved the many short anecdotes scattered throughout the book.

I found this book probably most valuable for the work Tom has done in providing examples of mentor texts and craft study activities that
Matt
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
This book will sit alongside my other treasured writing references, including Bird by Bird by Anne LaMott and On Writing by Stephen King. Romano offers practical strategies for anyone looking to improve their professional writing skills. He also peppers the text with personal anecdotes that dovetail nicely with his lessons, combining learning with life. If you are looking for an excellent gift for the writer in your life, look no further than Tom Romano's Write What Matters.
Trina
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book reminded me a lot of Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird and of Georgia Heard's Writing Towards Home. It includes short vignettes about writing. It suggests writing exercises, and I tried many of them as I was reading this book. I enjoyed many of Romano's metaphors about writing, especially when he writes about revision. I am sure that I will refer back to this book many times as I continue to work on my own writing.
Haylee Frohlich
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was hoping for a lot more from this book. I love Tom Romano in person (I've been to a few workshops), and I used "Blending Genre, Altering Style" when I was teaching, but this book was a little lackluster. Perhaps this was because I wasn't looking at it through my teacher's lens, but the book wasn't really about teaching writing, anyway.
Shari
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm feeling like a writer these days. This book spoke to me. Tom gets it. His stories, advice, and examples were spot on and exactly what I needed to hear.
Gigi