Start by marking “Padma River Boatman” as Want to Read:
Padma River Boatman

Padma River Boatman

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  938 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Fishing life along the coastline of the Padma and its bitsy melancholic account of intense physical, helpless yet illusory tale. Kuber's struggles, Kapila's voluptuous youth like the rainfilled Padma and the presence of a mysterious man, Hasan Mia, make and break the narrative with tweaks that are deep, covert and sudden like hidden currents.
Published 1973 by University of Queensland Press (first published July 12th 1936)

To ask other readers questions about Padma River Boatman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Padma River Boatman

Soumyabrata Sarkar
A visceral and enchanting saga into the lives of the fishermen of the river Padma. Padma is their lifeline, their mother and father. Their protector and destroyer, she offers plenty and also snatches away in the same manner. You are sucked into this world populated with lush scenery and the mighty river like goddess who is always in the background, controlling the lives of her dependents.

The author is successful in bringing life into the mere characters and their livelihood. Forming a close-knit
Nawshin
I used to absolutely HATE this book! >_<
Mahmud
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
There are apparently two English translations of Manik Bandopadhyay's Padma Nodir Majhi, this one was translated by Barbara Painter and Yann Lovelock, published in 1973 by the University of Queensland Press, as an item in the Unesco Collection of Representative Works. There was an earlier translation by Hirendranath Mukherjee published from Kutub Publishers from Bombay in 1948.
Maruf Hossain
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
পাঠয বই হিসেবে পড়তে হয়েছে বলে অনেকটাই মনে আছে। পাঠয বই হিসেবে পড়তে হয়েছে বলে হয়ত মুগধতা অলপ; এক চিমটি পরিমাণ কমেও গেছে। ...more
Shahidul Nahid
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
পরকীয়া শিখাইছে... যদিও জীবনের অনয একটা দিক দেখিয়েছিল :) পাঠযবই হিসেবে না থাকলে আরো মজা লাগতো... ...more
Md.  Nymoom
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
লাকিলি পাঠয হিসেবে পাই নাই। আমাদের পূরবের বযাচ পরযনত ছিল, তাই হয়তো মনোযোগ সহকারে পড়তে পেরেছিলাম! বইটা আমাকে জীবনে পরথম পরকিয়া পজেটিভ ধারণা দেয় :) ...more
Suddhasattwa Das
পরথমত, গলপটি নদীজীবী মানুষদের জীবনযাপনের একটি চিরনতন কাহন, তাদের পরানতিক অসতিতব, পরকৃতি আর সমাজের সাথে নিতয সংগরাম, পরসপরের মধযে সৌহারদয এবং রেষারেষি, জীবনের থেকে তাদের পরতযাশা, এই সব কিছুরই একটি পূরণাবয়ব ছবি পাওয়া যায় কুবের মাঝির আর তার মাঝি-পাড়ার পরতিবেশীদের জীবনের এই বাসতবধরমী আখযান থেকে। ১৯৩৬ সালে লেখা যেই অজানা , অখযাত শরেণী-র মানুষদের কাহিনী আমরা এতে পাই, লেখকের নৈপুণযে আমরা পাঠক-রা সহজেই তাদের জগৎ-এ পরবেশ করে যাই।

কিনতু উপনযাসটি-তে বিবরণ আর বৃততানত ছাড়াও আরো অনেক গভীর সতর আছে। মানুষের ইচছা
Arvind Radhakrishnan
This book took me by surprise.I was expecting a pretty standard fare of litany and woe,given the setting of the plot (the lives of boatmen).However many of the passages were extraordinarily beautiful,so evocative and haunting.After a while even the river Padma assumes a life of its own,becoming an all pervading presence.A very real entity yet at the same time one that exudes a metaphysical influence on the protagonists.I really liked the way Manik Bandopadhyay writes about the attitude of the co ...more
Mehnaz
May 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Rural-Contemporary-Lovers
Recommended to Mehnaz by: My school
Shelves: bangla
Read this for Bengali 1st Paper in high-school. Feels like ages ago. It's a classic, I believe, and portrays the life of a poor fisherman. There is an interesting love triangle involved in the story as well.
I cannot say I enjoyed the book very much, probably because it was school text and our teachers were kind of forcing us to read this one, but I do wish to read it some other time and rate it again!
I recommend it to all who love to read Bengali rural contemporaries.
Sankhadeep Ghosh
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its always a plessure to read Manik Bandopadhay.Padma Nodir Majhi is one of the masterpieces of him. A novel of a ethno-social group is not easy to write.... but it had possible because of Manik Bandopadhay himself. Nowadays Writer may right but it had no objectives. but Manik Bandopadhay had a mind of communist , obviously had a class orientation. Which is really missing in many of todays writer.
SMR
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
The forward places this novella (I'm told by my Bengali friend that this translation, though better than most, does condense the original)within the "social realism" fiction that was frowned upon at the time of it's publication. If you are a fan of Sinclair or Zola, or if you liked the film Beasts of the Southern Wild, this trip to a village in East Bengal is enlightening and thoroughly engaging.
Souvik Khamrui
Padma Nadir Majhi ( The Boatman of Padma River) is a novella illustrating the utterly dismal socio-economic conditions and interesting social behaviours of the fishing communities of Padma River. Classic work by Manik Bandopadhyay.
Aurin Shaila Nusrat Sheyck
I read it years ago when I was in college and don't quite remember whether I liked it or not. This delineates rustic life of rural Bangladesh through the people's sorrows, despairs, laughter and loves.
Chinmoy De
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to reed this book
Ariful
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is written about the fisherman. who lived edge of the padma river fo Bangladesh. how did they deprived from their basic rights. there were poverty, love and hope.
Minhaj Abedin
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
বাংলা সাহিতয এ মারকসবাদ আর ফরয়েডীয় তততব দুইটার সমনবয়ে গঠিত উপনযাস দুরলভ নয়, তবে এই বইয়ের মতো সাধারণের চোখে মারকসবাদ -আবেগ -ভালোবাসা -দরশন উপলবধি করে তাকে লিপিবদধ করা বড়ই দুরলভ। ...more
Samim Aktar
Muhammad Rasel Parvej
বাংলার নিমনবিতত সমাজের এক অংশের জীবনধারা ও তাদের চিনতাবোধ-মানসিকতা আর বাসতবতা খুব সুনদরভাবে ফুটিয়ে তোলা হয়েছে বলতেই হয়। ...more
Pandit
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
bombshell
Esha
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with this country all over again!! What a book! His writing skill is fabulous. Beautiful description of day2day life
Atanu
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read on Higher Secondary as a textbook but own it as a book written based on the lower class people of Bangladesh(Fishermen).
A classic book by a classic writer.
নাফিস অলি
হা হা হা ইহা আমার পাঠযপুসতক। না পড়ে উপায় আছে কি? আমি জঞান করি, এটা অনযতম সরবাধিক পড়া বই। নিশচয় আপনারও না পড়া নয়। ...more
Shahriar Rana
  • টেনিদা সমগ্র
  • কবি
  • Mother of 1084
1199103
Manik Bandopadhyay (Bengali: মানিক বনদযোপাধযায) was an Indian Bengali novelist and is considered one of the leading lights of modern Bangla fiction. During a short lifespan of forty-eight years, plagued simultaneously by illness and financial crisis, he produced 36 novels and 177 short-stories. His important works include Padma Nadir Majhi (The Boatman on The River Padma, 1936) and Putul Nacher It ...more
More about Manik Bandopadhyay...

Fiction Deals

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Ireland
    $10.49 $2.99
“অন্ধকারে যে বাস করে মৃদু আলোতে তাহার চোখ ঝলসাইয়া যায়।” 37 likes
“কী ক্ষতি মুসলমানের রান্না খাইলে? ডাঙার গ্রামে যারা মাটি ছানিয়া জীবিকা অর্জন করে তাহাদের ধর্মের পার্থক্য থাকে, পদ্মানদীর মাঝিরা সকলে একধর্মী।” 14 likes