Start by marking “Rebooting India: Realizing a Billion Aspirations” as Want to Read:
Rebooting India: Realizing a Billion Aspirations

Rebooting India: Realizing a Billion Aspirations

India is sitting on a demographic dividend, expected to become the world’s youngest country by 2020 with 64 per cent of its population, roughly 800 million people, of working age. But our country cannot become a global powerhouse unless we resolve the contradictions and bridge the gaps that distort our society. The challenge before us is to enable every one of India’s 1.2 ...more
Published November 3rd 2015 by Allen Lane (first published May 26th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Rebooting India, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rebooting India

Kushal
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book should have been called "Hold my Beer while I fix this country".
Nandan proposed some great technology based ideas to fix a bunch of stuff that's broken in India in his last book Imagining India (2009). He then quit Infosys to go build on those ideas and convert them from dreams to reality. Today we have Aadhar, UPI, GSTN(coming coon), electronic toll collection and bunch of other stuff which is in the works.
This book is a compilation of these technology based solutions to India's pro
Harshit Khare
Definitely recommend this to anyone who's ever had an idea to make India function better by streamlining processes using technology.

Given how inaccessible the government is when it comes to sharing details about their schemes and programs, this book is a welcome source of information about how technology has been used over the last few years and what lies ahead. While coming up with innovative ideas is one thing, getting them implemented by working with the government is a different beast altog
Dakshin
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With Aadhaar Card gaining ubiquity and its fair amount of acceptance as well as criticism, there can be no better time to read "Rebooting India: Realizing a Billion Aspirations".

I particularly enjoyed reading how Nandan Nilekani and Viral Shah explain to us their grand idea of instituting a special start up team to address 10 grand challenges. Moreover, the experience episodes on the stumbling blocks their team needed to encounter on the way to realizing the billion aspirations of India has bee
Arun Narasimhan
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Every solution to India's biggest problems that is outlined in this book encourages some form of greater understanding and adoption of technology to reduce and eliminate voter fraud,increase the quality of primary education, allow undocumented citizens(people without any identification) to secure the subsidies of which they are deserving...and so on.

The problem lies in fact that not a single solution has been written in enough detail to fit any real world scenario. A lot of difficult words and a
Upadhi Kabra
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: gov
For the size of the book, it covers a lot. If you have been out of India for a while - living outside, missed the growth in country, and the changes that are expected to get us on track to being a big successful thriving economy - i would recommend the book. I also enjoyed the idea of bureaucrats and successful private leaders coming together to correct the causes. the book recommends a 10 person A team to solve each problem in the country with support from the one and only PM.

Digitization can
Aditya Kulkarni
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book that presents a roadmap as to how technology can bring about a change across multiple systems such as political, education, judicial, medical, and among other things using technology as the primary tool.
Saket Suman
Nov 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Many experts have argued that technological advancement can pave the way for a developed India. We are sitting on a demographic dividend, expected to become the world’s youngest country by 2020 with 64 per cent of its population, roughly 800 million people, of working age. But our country cannot become a global powerhouse unless we resolve the contradictions and bridge the gaps that distort our society. Fancy this: “What if a million banking correspondents equipped with smart phones and biometr ...more
Divakar
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you reflect on all the good that has happened in India – you will realize that it is not politicians but it is mostly the bureaucrats and technocrats and public-minded citizens. The illustrious list is endless…from JJ Bhabha, Vishweshwarayya, Swaminathan, Kurien, Sam Pitroda, Sridharan….India was lucky to be blessed with such individuals of sterling qualities ( Selfless service being the most important of them all)…who laid the foundation for a modern India and helped us tackle the problemati ...more
Ayaan

Chapter 10: A New Era in Pol
Lokesh Gurram
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
+++
Explains behind the scenes actions that went into building UIDAI(Aadhar) and nuances of a bureaucracy one need to be aware of. Proposes interesting technical solutions to India's most pressing issues.
---
Quite slow in some parts
Unnecessary references to other book(s) by Nandan Nilekani
Prakrut Chauhan
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
What makes this book a must-read is that it not only identifies the key problems in all the sectors but also gives technological solutions to them. The initial chapters also have the story of how Aadhar was built from scratch.
Abhimanyu
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: india
As someone aptly posted in the reviews,the book should be renamed - "Hold my Beer while I fix this country".
animesh jain
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book presents a framework of how the use of technology in governance is changing the landscape of India stressing mainly on Aadhaar based solutions.
Soumit Mishra
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have been working with the Government for a year and a half now and everything that Nilekani and Shah tell is so relatable.
Srivardhan
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I felt this book was like "I had told this then. It was my idea." by Nandan and Viral for all the projects current govt of India is implementing.
Ankit Anand
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Presenting the government as a platform to realize a billion dreams, the ideas cover the major persistent problems plaguing India. The book gives us valuable insights how technology can be leveraged to solve many pressing concerns across fields and also how a start up like ecosystem inside a government can help solve problems at scale. A good read to develop a perspective that the draconian problems we see all around us can really be solved with innovation by technology and determination and gri ...more
Kaustubh Kirti
The book is a simple read talking about the story about Aadhar, the setting up of UIDAI, how Nandan Nilekani came to a part of it and how the project took off. The authors have tried to weave a picture of the Aadhar Story with some of the current problems facing India and tried to tell why technology today is paramount for growth and development.

The book however clearly falls short of Imagining India. That book was actually about India - talking about multiples issues plaguing India including s
Cristian
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Este es el tipo de libro que te ayuda a entender a India desde un punto de vista socio cultural. Con un componente enorme de tecnología, el libro crea una agenda para empujar al país hacia el desarrollo apoyándose en la tecnología, a fin de transformar la vida de los ciudadanos con procesos transparente, ágiles, conectados y eficientes.
Rebooting India es asertivo y mejor aún, esta escrito por los líderes que crearon el programa Aadhar (el sistema de identificación en India) y que están revolucio
Arun Mahendrakar
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The book begins by discussing the development and complexities involved in creating the Aadhar platform. The extensive research done in this regard has been detailed very well. The single purpose of Aadhar - identity verification - is the core of its elegance.

This is followed by sections that discuss its implementation, security and its 'ubiquitous' (so to speak) applicability. Aadhar's multi-factor authentication aligns with the current industry standard of verifying at least two pieces of info
Deepak Venkateswaran
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
A brilliant , pragmatic and futuristic book by Nandan Nilekani as a sequel to Imagining India.
Nandan has given a holistic picture of his stint as UIDAI chief including the challenges a technocrat faces in delivering inside the system. Practical solutions to which foundations have been laid constitute the book. The book makes the reader realize that the potential of Adhaar is extremely H-U-G-E.
The book is written in a simple way with infographics and mind maps which keeps the reader engrossed t
Rajshekhar Chatterjee
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
a clear roadmap for us to move ahead. planning has never been a problem but how do you implement that plan? Instead of just reiterating the already problems, this book gives a clear cut pathway to achieve those goals clearly defining the role of the govt in the process. it's easy to blame the govt for everything but yet with the mindset of implementing things can be achieved. SMART goals at its best. readon if the current state of affairs bothers you and are looking for the answers. The solution ...more
Sagar
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great book and great presentation! But there is a underlying assumption that Aadhaar is the panacea for all ills in governance. The title of the book should have included the word Aadhaar in it. It is a bit misguiding as I thought it would give Mr. Nilekani's take on how governance can be improved with technology. Rather the book delves into the journey of Aadhaar and how it has been a success story and about its future benefits.
Naushadali Rangoonwala
Overall an insightful read. The author introduces us to how government departments are designed to function and how we can make the best of it with a balanced approach. He exemplifies it with his own story of Aadhaar. On the negative side, the book makes use of far too many diagrams which add little value to the book and it's contents. This book is recommended to anyone looking at reading about innovative solutions to our country's problems.
Vinayan
Jun 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Great view on how private minds can work in Govt setting and make lasting impact on Nations progress. Book dwells well into the making of Aadhaar, insightful on the process of building it up.

Well laid out map on how JAM can make meaningful impact on other govt touchpoints of road, Judiciary, Agri, etc....however the overdependence on Aadhaar as the mother of all solutions makes it an overkill.
Shine Ali
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An amazing read for anyone who wants to be a part of nation building. The book outlines 12 key ideas that can change the way things are done in our country. It draws attention to the need to exploit the power of the internet to assist in various arduous tasks like judiciary, provision of subsidies etc. This book provides a plethora of ideas for aspiring entrepreneurs who would like to contribute to the future of our nation.
Rudra
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book to get a perspective on the problems plaguing India and his attempts are being made to address those. The book could also have been called Aadhar and how it is changing India as the author harps on endlessly about it. A good book to read, and the take away is that a good database has to be designed with all authorities on board.
Harsh Agarwal
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
A perfect read to get the insight of what is the current mindset of Indian government, where are we heading ahead in future including technology as a part and parcel of our life. Addressing the major challenges along with the plausible solutions give a winning prospect to the book. Repetitive references of Nandan's "Imagining India" might be annoying, but overall, worth the time.
Imad Ali
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-of-2016
I thought it was a great look at the positive side of Indian bureaucracy. Authors do a good job at really selling ADHAAR by listing its potential uses in banking, electoral rolls, ration etc.

Favorite thought from the book - if government services really are to excel, the teams themselves must behave like lean, agile startups.
Debaprabho Bhattacharya
the ideas curated in this book are not a new set; we have been hearing about them for sometime now... however, it is good to have a "central repository" where we can read up how technology integration into the government's way of working can vastly make the system / country efficient.
also, the initial chapters on executing / implementing Aadhar was a nice read, though a bit superficial.
Harsh Tibarewala
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
brilliant book with lots of ideas. nandan is truly inspirational and he has shown his creditability via aadhar. if we can get 10 nandan in india then we can actually get the distant dreams mentioned in his book as ideas into reality. I am an optimistic and believe in such powerful thoughts. one has to think to be able to do. he has thought. someone can execute.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Looking Away: Inequality, Prejudice and Indifference in New India
  • A Wish a Day for a Week
  • We, the Nation: the Lost Decades
  • INDIA’S TRYST WITH DESTINY - DEBUNKING MYTHS THAT UNDERMINE PROGRESS AND ADDRESSING NEW CHALLENGES
  • India: The Emerging Giant
  • A Dose Of Laughter
  • Burden Of Democracy
  • The Elephant Paradigm: India Wrestles With Change
  • Ambedkar: Towards an Enlightened India
  • Our Constitution: An Introduction To India's Constitution And Constitutional Law
  • Lucknow Boy: A Memoir