Start by marking “No Ordinary Star (No Ordinary Star, #1)” as Want to Read:
No Ordinary Star (No Ordinary Star, #1)

No Ordinary Star

(No Ordinary Star #1)

A soldier is summoned to the North Pole, days before the year changes, told to fix the great Clock for a celebration. He has no idea what to do.
A girl, hunted for the crime of being born, almost dies out on the ice. She is rescued by the last polar bear left alive.
A library waits for them both, a library built over a span of a hundred years, forgotten in the basement of
Published November 25th 2015 by Createspace (first published 2015)

To ask other readers questions about No Ordinary Star, please sign up.
M.C.
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Chelsea Humphrey
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-publisher
Let’s all just pause in a moment of silence for how breathtaking that cover is. ❤ I’m always thrilled when I find a book that has the trifecta: gorgeous cover art, a plot that holds my interest from the first chapter, and characters that I forge an early connection with. No Ordinary Star held all three of these fine aspects for me, which is why a 5 star rating was a no brainer upon finishing the first part in the series. For those new to these books, this is a trilogy yet in a much better format ...more
Sophie's Reading Corner
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, dystopia
4 "The Tin Soldier & The Match Girl" stars

It's year 2525. The world has changed. Women and men don't live together. People get to live longer and they get fed with pills. Everything is different. So when a soldier goes to the North Pole, he saves a girl and they both try to survive under difficult circumstances. They make together some discoveries and it seems that these are about to change their world forever.

I haven't read a dystopian book in a very long time and even though I'm not used
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
I started this book, because I saw the positive ratings and the story sounded good.
But this is a confusing, strange story I can’t really comprehend. So I dnf‘d it.
Maybe it’s not nice to dnf a book, especially if it’s so short, but I didn’t like it even after reading a quarter of it.
And I want to read good, enjoyable books in my free time. So I’m not even sorry. 🤷🏻♀
Darque  Dreamer
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
No Ordinary Star is an immersive, fast paced story that reads like a dream. It is elegantly emotional and captivating. Prepare yourself for an astronomical amount of imagery!

The Plot: In a futuristic world where hunger, sickness, and human emotions are things of the past, a soldier and an unusual girl cross paths in the North Pole. He is summoned to fix the great Clock responsible for bringing in the new year, 2525. She is a criminal on the run having come close to death in the icy wilderness. T
M.C.
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hello, everyone! Just wanted to let you know that the first six chapters of No Ordinary Star have been posted for free here if you're interested in reading a free sample. Enjoy!

Sheila Goicea
I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. Thanks!

This full review can be viewed on my blog along with others at: shesgoingbookcrazy.com

People are intentionally created, instead of just happening to be born. Imperfections are almost eliminated--the Elimination System was created for just this purpose. And it's worked wonders both in the Planet and the Colonies. To think, people didn't used to live more than eighty, perhaps a hundred years.

When I first re
☆Stephanie☆
Title: No Ordinary Star (No Ordinary Star #1)
Author: M.C. Frank
Publisher: Createspace, 2015 (Nov 25)
Genre: YA Dystopia, YA Science Fiction

**I received a copy of this book free from the author in exchange for an honest review**

This review can be found on my Blog, TeacherofYA’s Tumblr, or my Goodreads page

My Review

I included this one with the other review not because it was bad, but because it was a shorter book than I’m used to. Actually, this book was quite good! And I mean, look at the cover!

I
Yesha- Books Teacup and Reviews
(Note: I received review copy of this book from the author, in exchange for an honest review. I am glad I got a chance to read this book. I’m grateful to be part of NOS street team.)

I loved that cover of the book and futuristic world drew me to this book.

How will it feel when there’s no emotions left in human? Men and women are separated? Humans can live for 300 years with no disease, no illness, no need to sleep? No festival, Christmas is forgotten and there are no books. Yeah you heard right.
Rebecca
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebooks
In a world where there is no Christmas; men and women are separated; and no one needs to eat or sleep or become ill....Felix and Astra are just trying to survive. They are throw together in a strange twist of fate and are put on a mission, to fix a clock before the year turns to 2525.

When you begin this book, you are completely throw into a future world with no guide, no explanations, and no idea where you are or what is going on. I'll be honest, I had to re-read the first couple of chapters a f
Luana
Genre: Young Adult, Science-Fiction, Dystopian

I was sent a copy by the wonderful M.c Frank herself for an honest review.

The story follows the journey of Felix and Astra in the year 2524, a journey of discovery about the real world they live in. Everything might appear to be working smoothly in this new world: children are bred in laboratories, food and sleep have become obsolete and innovative pills have taken their place. People practically forget what suffering is, but they have also lost the
Mads
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
First and foremost, I would like to thank the author for sending me a ebook copy of this book to read and give an honest review.
I was super excited to read this book simply because I haven't read that many YA sci-fi books and I really want to read some more. I adored the concept of this book and I found it very interesting and intriguing which left me curious to read the second book. However, the reason why I gave it 3 stars was due to the fact that I thought the storyline was a little confusin
Izabella (Pages Full of Stars)
I decided to re-read the first two books in the No Ordinary Star trilogy, before picking up the final installment and I'm really enjoing it! This was the book that brought back my lost interest in YA dystopia genre, I really loved how fresh and creative is the plot. The first book may read as a more of an introduction to the story and the world created by M.C. Frank but it's still full of suspense, engaging and beautifully written. The futuristic vision of the world is at the same time interesti ...more
Alaina
This cover is beautiful. I've also heard some pretty great things about this book and series - so I wanted to take some time to read it for myself.

No Ordinary Star was a pretty interesting read. I went into with no expectations - mostly due to the mixed reviews on it. Yes, I did look at those before I dove into but that's only to see other opinions on it. The only opinion that matters to me about a book is my own - I don't care if everyone hated a book I loved or if I hated a book that everyone
filming.pages
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-of-2019
Actual rating: 2.5/5 stars

I cannot tell you how much I wanted to like this book more than I did! For the first 10 chapters or so, I loooved it, I was reading it consistently and I was very eager to know what would happen next! After the tenth chapter though, I just couldn't bring myself to finishing it... And it's such a shame, because it's a really short book, I should have finished it in a matter of hours!

Tbh, sci-fi isn't my preferred genre, I don't really enjoy it, but I thought I'd give it
Kalli
Aug 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
*takes deep breath, clears throat* Oh where to begin with this book? I did not like this book AT ALL. It was terribly confusing, the characters were flat and uninteresting, and the dialogue was dull at best and ridiculously irritating at worst. I picked this book up because I have always been a fan of YA dystopian novels and after seeing such great reviews for it, I figured, why not pick it up. It had the extra bonus of being less than 200 pages so I thought I'd fly through it. Boy was I WRONG! ...more
Maren
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-copy
What initially drew me to this series was the gorgeous covers, but what I really loved about this book was that the beauty was more than skin deep. The author paints such a vivid picture of what this world looks like that I had no trouble visualizing this entire first part. I am so completely fascinated by this futuristic world in which people don't need to eat food, or sleep; where men are raised by android's they call "mothers" to become the ultimate soldiers and the women and girls are kept c ...more
Farah
*The author of this book sent me this paperback copy in exchange for an honest review, so don’t expect anything less than that. I will always give an honest review, be it a positive one or a negative one.*

I feel like this entire book was just an intro for the rest of the series. A super. Long. Dragged out. Intro. The conflict was introduced but nothing ever really happened with it.

I wanted to like this book.... actually I wanted to love it, but I didn't. I had a very hard time getting through th
Annie Woods
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this fast paced, magic story of how two unlikely people change the world, and each other. I absolutely adored both of the main characters and each of their unique personalities.

This book is the first in the futuristic YA trilogy taking place in the year 2524, when the world is a cold place in all its meaning: There’s no emotions left in human, men and women are separated, there are no families, food does no longer exists but are replaced by pills, everything is controlled. Humans can li
Emilie Haney
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
An icy tale of romance and the discovery of new ideas.

I was intrigued first and foremost by this books cover--it's stunning! But then I discovered it was a sci-fi and knew I had to read it. I also took note that it was inspired by Ray Bradbury's short stories and was even more intrigued.

It's been a while since I've read Bradbury, but I did get the hint of his stories with this novel, as well as M.C.'s classic style.

The story itself has a very simple cast of characters. The soldier, the girl, and
Ari
I am not sure how to review this book.
It's not a matter of liking or not liking it, it's just the fact that it feels more like 1/3 of a story, rather than a first book in a series. And how can I judge a story by only a fraction of it? (Even my top favourite book would lack a bit if judged only by those first 100 pages of pure, undiluted confusion *hint* jellicoe *hint*)

This being said, the cover is stunning and it's the main reason why I picked up this book. Also the first half of the book is f
 Amelia
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, mystery, dystopia
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

*by now I've read all 3 "books" and can say that the whole thing is pretty bad, but this first part was actually decent so yeah...that's why this review is still "positive" XD*

When I read the summary I was very intrigued, and the whole thing sounded like it would be a sci-fi/fantasy/magical realism mixed all together. And it truly was - it was mysterious and not many answers were given, but considering this is actually just the "first part" of a "full book" and has only 1
Alex Rowe ----Captain Valour
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopian, 5-star
Ok, I honestly don't know what took me so long to read this book, but when I finally did, I could not put it down! I mean, I finished it in a couple of days. And that doesn't get to happen for me too often anymore. If you're a fan of The Giver, then you will definitely enjoy this book because there were quite a few things that definitely made me think of that story while still keeping to its own story. But I also like how this book tied in a retelling of an old child classic within it's midst: T ...more
Ria
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ll be honest - I’m not the biggest sci-fi/dystopian fan and actively try to avoid them as far as possible. What so drew me into No Ordinary Star that I didn’t dnf it (which is what I generally do to most sci-fi books) are the characters. NOS follows Felix and Astra - two of the more complex characters I have read in YA, I’m glad to say. He is responsible for turning the clock to bring in the new year 2525 and she’s a criminal on the run.

Further, I’m very intrigued by the world created here - a
Naty
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was so beautiful and poetic and quiet and gorgeous. I didn't know what to expect of the story but now I'm very happy I picked this up. Thanks again to Darque Dreamer for recommending it! I think it's specially delightful to read around Christmas!
Alexandra
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
OHH This little gem is hiding! Why hasn't anyone given this beauty more attention!
Olivia (thebeautyofreading)
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I just got like so absorbed into this story! It didn't take me long at all to read. It technically took a day and a half but if I wasn't busy yesterday afternoon-night I would have read it real quick 😋😁 the story is a little different than some sci-fi but I really enjoyed it and I really like it when stories are different. I seriously NEED to know Felix and Astra's backstory!!
Nada Hosny
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-challenge
5 BIG, SHINY STARS

"At the end of the year 2524, where there's no hunger, no illness, no feelings and also no families, everything is controlled, monitored, planned and created; men and women are separated; everything is just that perfect after the second enlightenment.

Felix was the most obedient, intelligent soldier in Baghdad training military school, until he received a mysterious message that turned his world upside down, and puts him on a journey where he meets Astra, a natural rebel, and a
Kimzey
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
First off, I am going to thank M.C. Frank for sending this to me, once again. I truly appreciate it. Now on to the book review.

I have to be entirely honest, when I started reading this book I had also started another book that was very descriptive so I had to pull myself out of that world to entire this one, and being in 3rd person it was a little difficult, but I did it and I really like this book. I also like how it switches perspectives between Felix and Astra.

No Ordinary Star is really good.
Alina
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's the end of the year 2524. The world is free of hunger, illness, but also love... Every contact between men and women is forbidden, and yet the boy and the girl meet, in an ice shack on the North Pole.

'Tin soldier', Felix, is one of the best soldiers of his generation. Strong, obedient, always following ordrers. Until he finds himself in a completely new situation, after receiving an unexpected message.

'Match girl', Astra, is a girl wanted for her father's crimes. When her life gets saved by
Mridu  aka Storypals
Feb 01, 2016 rated it liked it
I received the copy of this book through Goodreads giveaways and I am glad I came across this wonderful novel, So thank you M.C. Frank for sending this book to me.

This is story is set in future where human beings are not known of hunger, sickness, pain and all those things which makes us human. they are living off of chemicals and machines.
A soldier is abandoned in the north pole who meets a girl who was been looked for.
They discover a library hidden under a shack and from there they go on to
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Felix, Net i Nika oraz Pułapka Nieśmiertelności (Felix, Net i Nika, #4)
  • Darcy's Christmas Wish: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • If This Were a Story
  • Dysphoria and Grace (The Night Blind Saga #1)
  • Eden's Promise
  • Disowned  (Allegiance #1)
  • Retaliation (The Assassins #1)
  • Kill School: Slice
  • Wiedźma opiekunka, Część 2 (Wolha Redna, #4)
  • Act of Defiance (Defiance Gray, #1)
  • Marked
  • Pusta noc (Żniwiarz, #1)
  • Untitled Beauty (Somewhere-in-Between #1)
  • Smolder Road (Scorch #6)
  • Alone (Flamestone Trilogy, #1)
  • Uncharted Redemption (Uncharted, #2)
  • Henge (Le Fay #1)
  • Torn: True Love (Torn Love, #1)
Welcome to the engrossing world of M.C. FRANK's books, where characters aren't going to have an easy time of it: They will find themselves in icy-cold dystopian worlds where kissing is forbidden (among other things), or in green forests ruled by evil Sheriffs. If they're in Jane Austen's England, they have to be running away from a traumatic childhood, or if they are in our contemporary world, th ...more

No Ordinary Star (3 books)
  • No Plain Rebel (No Ordinary Star, #2)
  • No Vain Loss (No Ordinary Star, #3)
“Pain and betrayal and then nothingness. That's the death and she's almost welcoming it.” 2 likes
“The day is crisp and clear, almost like every other morning he's taken the same walk in the snow, hiking to the forest and back.” 0 likes