Start by marking “Lover of Light” as Want to Read:
Lover of Light

Lover of Light

It only takes a touch to shatter the line between hate and love.

Andy genuinely tried to be happy when his best friend, Dimitry, decided to marry his on-again-off-again Bulgarian boyfriend, Alexei—a beautiful problem case who’s obviously using Dimitry to get a green card. When Dimitry admits only days later that it’s over between him and the little gypsy jerk, Andy can bare
Published January 25th 2016 by Samhain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Lover of Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lover of Light

Baba
1.5 stars. DNF @45%. Review posted December 21, 2015

photo oie_vrKqgZsSJ0vn_zpsavweh4vb.gif

Lover of Light should be renamed to Lovers of Soap Opera Drama

Lover of Light contains drama over drama over drama over drama over drama. Ahem…did I mention how much drama it contains? And how does one create drama?

Warning
Imitation at your own risk.

Take a HUGE bucket of drama
A pan full of stupidity
A couple pounds of immaturity
A couple tablespoons of waterworks
Several pinches of self-pity and jealousy
A bunch of screwed up men
Add a couple measur
Erika
This book started out well, in that "I can tell there's going to be a lot of drama" way that I enjoy the heck out of sometimes. It was a bit over the top, but I didn't mind it. It was exactly what I was looking for, and I was enjoying it. Things were going along pretty nicely on Drama Street, but then the author decided to take a sharp left turn into a town called WTF, Are You Crazy? and it just got worse from there.

(There be SPOILERS ahead. Read at your own risk!)

Let's see...

Our main guy is A
.Lili.
Dec 01, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, arc-netgalley, dnf
Sooo I ended up buying this one since I didn't download it in time from NetGalley. I'm sorry I did. I ended up DNF'ing it at around the 50% point. It was too much drama and wasn't enjoyable. I'm sorry it wasn't my cuppa.

No rating.
Aerin
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maybe, m-m, arc
~2.5 stars~

Ok, alright, I've learned my fucking lesson. I need to try to stay away from this author's books from now on because obviously we don't click. But...but...wait, her books used to be so good! Split was one of my favorites, and there was another book of hers i loved- In His Secret Life , so where did her writing style started going down the hill? I loved the blurb on this one, it was riveting and exciting, because I'm a damn sucker for enemies-to lovers stories and this was going to be
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥
Dnf @56%

I tried people. This Tele-novlea was too much for me. Everybody was a super hot mess in this story. Andy the biggest mess every. First of all if you get cheated on why in the dickens would you allow yourself to have any feelings for someone you love;EX!!! He was so fraudulent, that I couldn't continue. Up until 56% I was laughing at this crazy train. I didn't think this was real. I would have been okay to finish if Andy didn't start having feelings and thoughts towards Alexei. Andy wasn'
Hot Stuff for Cool People
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. Also, this review originally appeared on Hot Stuff for Cool People.

I was so excited for this book. The plot sounded really intriguing‐ Andy is worried that his best friend, Dimitry, is being taken advantage of by his boyfriend, Alexei. Andy figures Alexei is using Dimitry to get a green card. And he is. But when Alexei and Dimitry split up, Andy starts to get to know Alexei himself, and realizes he really likes him.

And after I read the firs
Lila Hunter
Rate: 3.5 out of 5 stars

My View: Some of the early reviews had not been positive. I'm writing this almost a month before release day, but I decided not to post it until then because I think this story will find its place with the right readers. No matter the marketing, Lover of Light isn't a romance. It's a psychological exploration of the right and wrong reasons to love and let other love us. Pretty much, this book can be compared to a dark, indie movie, that only a hand full of viewers would f
Johngaltanarchy
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of course I am biased because I live with her. This was one of her good ones. :-)
Is
A blurb like that leaves you wanting. It definitely left me wanting to be approved for this ARC, it left me wanting for all kinds of spark and excitement and thrills. It left me wanting for one hell of a book where the MC falls in love for his best friend’s ex boyfriend, one that he in fact hated. It was a recipe for a perfect smutty read, the recipe for one great book. Instead, it left me bereft. It missed the mark by way more than a mile.

In Tumblr, there’s this stories that people write as ‘a
Erica Chilson
I received a copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

4 Stars, based solely on the fact that I read this cover to cover in one sitting and was entertained by the train wreck. This rating is based on entertainment value, not the quality.

Genre: MM Romance | ANGST | DRAMA | ANGST | MORE ANGST | Did I say angst? | Heat level: mild, nearly off-scene fade to black |

Warning: some readers are sensitive to cheating in a storyline. I won't spoil it to say where/how/why the cheating occurs,
Veronica of V's Reads
2.5 Stars for this M/M tale that is far less romance than I had expected.

Andy is a 28 y/o out gay man in Montreal who left his family at age 16 after dealing with years of verbal abuse by his homophobic father. The book opens with Andy at his father's wake, being semi-reunited with his elder brother Tom and younger sister Michelle. He's had virtually no contact with them in the past three years, and they have spoken little to him on this day, and even less to Quinn, Andy's partner, who has come
Caroline Brand
REVIEWED FOR PRISM BOOK ALLIANCE

2.5 Stars

This could have been a really good enemies to lover story but for me it just missed the mark. The love affair between Andy and Alexei could have been epic had it been the main storyline but there was so much drama it got buried.

We start the story with Andy attending his father’s funeral alongside his estranged family. He is supported by his partner of two years, Quinn. Quinn is divorced, his working life is tied up with his ex-wife and he has problems rel
Mare SLiTsReaD Reviews
It never fails.
Once I have a Mel Bossa in my hands I devour it in a mere 3 hours.
Sigh.
Her writing is like a balm to my soul. The way she uses her words, her descriptions, the angst. Its like a beacon to my soul.

Split will always be my fav Mel Bossa book. Always and forever.

(view spoiler)
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Leigh's review posted at Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

I always enjoy finding a new m/m author and getting to sink into the world that their characters inhabit. However, this time, I felt like I tumbled head-first into a soap opera rather than a romance. The drama was over the top and I felt it hard to connect with any of the characters. I kept waiting to find out more details about them, get a chance to live through some of the events that defined them. But everything happened away from the read
Mary Strunk
This is a good M/M read especially if you like these types of stories. I believe the author did good on writing the story and well on the plot. Yes this book has some drama but most of all it is a love story. You know the saying don't judge a book by it's cover, well in this story - you can't judge the characters until you actually know all about them.

Andy has had a hard life growing up and being on his own since he was 16. Now that he is older, he has learned a lot and doesn't care with others
Curtis
Andy's life is a bit of a storm at the moment. He's recently laid his estranged father to rest, he lost his job, and his best friend, Dimitry, has announced his engagement to Alexei, who Andy is certain his only using him to get a green card. In the midst of this upheaval, there's tension between Andy and his current boyfriend, he takes a new job as a bartender, and Dimitry announces that his engagement to Alexei is over. Andy couldn't be happier about the latter until his boss hires a new waite ...more
Joyfully Jay
Jan 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

3 stars

Sometimes different things draw you to a book. While the published blurb didn’t initially grab me as much, the cover certainly did and then finding out the book was written in first person sealed the deal. The execution, however, didn’t work as well for me. If you are interested in this book, be ready for a plentiful dose of drama, daytime drama style, where there are a lot of stories going on at once and partners change quickly. Due to this style, there is not a wh
Ruthie Taylor
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

2.5*

Given the amount of drama and angst in this book, it is staggeringly short. One could get whiplash from the levels of complication, and entanglements. That said it was the kind of train wreck that I had to keep following - because I wanted to know how an even mildly happy ending could ensue. Did it? well you will have to read it and find out - but somehow it wasn't disappointing on that score.

Wicked Reads Review Team
Angie Elle
Nov 30, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Oh, man. This blurb!
Karen
Nov 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Karen by: Secret Elf
I love it, I love it not, I like it, I like it...
Seriously can't decide on this one. There were things about this story that I seriously liked and there was easily as much that I didn't.

Be warned there are a truckload of spoilers here so if you plan on reading this book probably best to move on now, Ok?

Let's start at the beginning. We have 4 men (as in 2 couples) first there's Andrew (or Andy) and his boyfriend/partner/roommate/whatever Quinn. Then we have Dimitry and his boyfriend, Alexei.
ItsAboutTheBook
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: whit
Review can be read at It's About The Book

I’m going to try and keep this short because the longer it is the harsher I’m going to sound. This book was a DRAMAfest. The MC is impossible to nail down because he’s all over the place at any given moment in this book. He’s weak. He’s strong. He’s selfish. He’s puts Alexei first. He’s complacent. He’s independent! He loves this guy. No that guy. But wait now he really loves Alexei. I seriously never warmed to him at all which is a problem because I
A.M. Leibowitz
I received a free copy via Inked Rainbow in exchange for an honest review.

Mel Bossa is one of my go-to authors, and this book is exactly why. Although there's a love story, that is really not what this is about. Sure, there's a lot of angst and drama, but those aren't the point either. There are some deep themes about the complex relationships between family, friends, and lovers.

Andy, the narrator, is surrounded by flawed people. He doesn't seem to realize at first that he has his own troubles--
Makhda
Jan 27, 2016 marked it as lost-interest  ·  review of another edition
So... ex-boyfriend's best friend? That's like ex-boyfriend of your brother. Good god.

description

I'm sorry. But I don't think it's good.
Chris
3.5 out of 5 stars. Yes it was a bit soap opera-ish but it was still a decent story. It just had almost too much going on instead of letting Andy and Alexei's story be front and center.
Ran ♠
Jan 28, 2018
Jeni
Feb 01, 2016

• Metal Heart
  • Dissonance (Blue Notes, #6)
  • To Live Again (The Distance Between Us #6, Wilde's #8)
  • Gasp!
  • Purpose
  • Mitch (Baine Family #1)
  • Off Stage: Right (Off Stage #1)
  • Book Fair
  • Love Comes Home (Senses, #3)
  • A Change of Tune (Change #1)
  • Time For Love (Timeless Love, #2)
  • Mending the Rift
  • Defenseless
  • Finding Home
  • To Say I Love You (Another Way #3)
  • The Race Is On (How the Light Gets In, #2)
  • That Blue Sky Feeling, Vol. 1
  • His Soul to Take

I am currently writing a new Nick and Derek novel which I am posting for free, chapter by chapter, if you are into it. https://nickandderekfreestory.blogspo...