Start by marking “Zone to Win: Organizing to Compete in an Age of Disruption” as Want to Read:
Zone to Win: Organizing to Compete in an Age of Disruption

Zone to Win: Organizing to Compete in an Age of Disruption

Over the last 25 years, Geoffrey Moore has established himself as one of the most influential high-tech advisors in the world—once prompting Conan O’Brien to ask “Who is Geoffrey Moore and why is he more famous than me?”

Following up on the ferociously innovative ESCAPE VELOCITY, which served as the basis for Moore’s consulting work to such companies as Salesforce, Micros
Published November 3rd 2015 by Diversion Books

To ask other readers questions about Zone to Win, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zone to Win

Start your review of Zone to Win: Organizing to Compete in an Age of Disruption
Tigran Mamikonian
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tigran by: Pavel Annenkov
Very good book full of management wisdom. I read this book as per recommendation of my friend from EO (eonetwork.org) and due to business related organisational issue. Before reading this book I was adept of all-rounded CEOs who would do both - achieve great operational results and open new products/markets.

Author succeeded in shaping my mind… The key idea is about focus and alignment between management to run company effectively in all aspects.
To be successful each manager should be given clear
Haw Kuang Oh
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I watched a YouTube of Geoffrey Moore on Zone to Win a couple years ago, but reading the book gave me so much more insights of Moore's thought process behind the 4 zones and the offense/defense playbook.

Looking at the realignments/repriotizations in our business groups and company over the years, one would have to wonder if the outcome could have been any different (dare I say better?), if our leaders had followed the strategies behind Zone to Win.

The cased studies of Salesforce and Microsoft we
MundiNova
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I read this for work

The company I work for is in a state of transition, so this book was helpful in understanding management's recent choices. As for the content of the book, the language is for those who spend their lives writing PowerPoint slides, taking golf lessons, and reading Malcom Gladwell books (the reuse of the phrase "tipping point" killed me). If that doesn't describe you -- and you aren't required to read this book -- you may want to pass. There are better written busine
Richard
Jul 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Businesses are designed to be stable – shareholders want predictable growth and returns. However for a bussiness to catch the next big wave this is counter to stability. To internally grow a new bussiness it is likely to result in a reduction of the current results. To facilitate the growth of a new bussiness line extreme care needs to be taken to prevent innovation stagnation or from competition from other companies.

The book presents four zones.

Performance zone
Most of the revenue and profits ar
Dan'l Danehy-oakes
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it
A business book - a _good_ business book - consists (primarily; there are some with additional ingredients) of three things: common sense, data, and a framework that provides a new focus on the first to and proposes a plan of action.

Moore is a bit short on the data, except in the final chapter, but his common sense is so sensible, and the framework sufficiently compelling, that this is in fact a good business book.

This is not a book for every business. Rather it is specific to businesses whose i
Eugene
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-to-read, 2018
Ignacio
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed reading "Crossing the Chasm" back in the 1990's, but had forgotten about the author for a while. "Zone to Win" came as a refreshing read about someone who knows how to bring new ideas, methods and concepts to the table in an easy to understand and enlighting way.

"Zone to Win" focuses on how companies should respond to disruption pressures, how to defend or attack in an age of accelerated change. The book is clear and provides actionable methods on how to deal with rapid innovation
Aaron Delp
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Got about half way through but I’m not the target audience and book is more of an intellectual exercise as readers won’t be at a level where most companies large enough for this book to apply and be able to influence or change dynamics. Good insights and understanding but little practical advise outside big company execs.
Kim Pallister
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm a HUGE Geoffrey Moore fan, and consider Inside the Tornado to be among the best books about how the technology markets operate. So, I was super excited to a see a new book from him.

This is another strong analysis of tech industry dynamics and a framework for segregating work within established companies between their core business and new areas of growth and incubation.

I'd give it 5 stars but for 2 small complaints - really just areas for improvement in future editions (I hope):
1. After revi
Dakota Dunne
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Everyone wants to win, but in today’s age of technology disruption companies are finding it harder to launch new product lines successfully while keeping existing ones running at a profit. Consultant Geoffrey A. Moore, also the author of Crossing The Chasm, offers a remedy for companies that are struggling to find growth: “zone management.” His four-zone model guides you through the ups and downs of tough decision making, with the aim of “catching the next wave” – and you don’t need to be a surf ...more
Siyun
Feb 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Book recommended to my colleagues at the PM Bookclub.

ZTW is a practical handbook for established enterprises about "how to do innovation right", paired with data and real world examples. Contrary to conventional wisdom, established enterprises enjoy many competitive advantage over disruptive startups, the author points out. But they need to assume a new mindset of management: assign projects/initiatives into 4 distinctive yet interconnected zones that are resourced, organized and measured diffe
Timothee
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
It's a little bit of a bore to read, but the concepts are pretty good. I would suggest you google the book and check out the summary version instead.
The concepts that are really good are around:
1. how to make sure to keep different zones separated with different rules (think about skunk works at Lockheed, or Waymo and Google).
2. how and when to move a business from one zone to the next (think Google starting the Cloud division to play defense against AWS).
Finally, once you see this split with z
Emma
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Even if you are not under a current threat of disruption, you need to assume you will be soon and use the intervening period to get yourself into fighting shape.”

The new CEO of the company where I work is reportedly a big fan of this book, so I figured it was prioritized reading! After college, I’ve never gotten around to reading that many management books, but even so, I knew of Geoffrey A. Moore and his writing, especially Crossing the Chasm: Marketing and Selling High-Tech Products to

Grantztt
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great for incumbents trying to drive change

Moore is recognised as one of the great thinkers of our time on disruptive change, and this book brings us up to date with survivors (Microsoft) and the new behemoths (SalesForce). This book offers options to incumbents who are managing mature portfolios that are tipping over into decline, on how to manage change effectively, and transition to new portfolios that offer growth. An accessible book, with some great ideas to experiment with.
Francisco
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very interesting ideas for upstream portfolio admijistration in Vuca enviroment

This book has interesting ideas to get a deep administration for an upstream portfolio clustering the initiatives into 4 zones and giving tips to manage them into an offensive (disrupter) position or deffensive (disruptee) position. Although the reading it is a little difficult in moments, the central ideas are the value of this book.
Dora Nikolova
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant and very insightful! No ground-breaking theories, but simple concepts put into structured frameworks to address the complexity of disruption!
It's also very refreshing to look at the digital transformation going on from the perception of multi-national corporations with history, rather than from the startup point of view, for a change!
James Staten
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Embraces the truth of digital disruption

And providers practical, actionable advice that companies can truly implement, while being clear, that these transitions are not easy, are wrought with risks and negative consequences but if you don't make the change you will lose. Highly recommend it for any company that wants to be a leader in 2020
Hank Stephens
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Easy to follow and logically presented

For a business book, this one is a very easy read. Geoffrey Moore presents his arguments very logically and makes a very persuasive case. He is also more prescriptive in this book than is a typical business text. For anyone in the business world, this book provides a simple and straightforward way to think and talk about management issues.
Miguel Aragão
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve quite liked the book, only giving 4-stars as I’ve felt the language could be more captivating at times.

The overall approaches seem to make a lot of sense and applicable from small teams to big corporations. The examples are typically of big enterprises but the interesting part for me is that it can be applied at very different scales and scopes.
Tim Rose
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some really good concepts in here, but I think they are geared a bit more to large corporations with shareholders and many lines of business, not as much for the SMB world. We are going through some disrupters ourselves so some of it definitely resonated, but the book overall was a bit more dense / complex than I was expecting.
Drew Ayling
Jun 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Suggested reading for work. Honestly it was the writing on the wall. The organization that I was a part of was being dismantled and end of lifed. We were an expensive past-due IOU. We were once the incubator, but now we were dead weight. Reorgs later we were no longer under our original group, ready to be effectively EOL.
Brent Chiu-Watson
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love Geoffrey Moore. Crossing the Chasm will always be the masterpiece but this book is fantastic too. The clarity and simplicity of the operating rules he sets out are wonderful. Ex: 1 and only 1 transformation at a time.

Fast read too. Not bloated like many business books. More business books should be written with this clarity and concision.
iTZKooPA
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Applicable advice no matter the size of your company. Took a lot of notes on how to expand, protect and accelerate the line of business I run. Moore concisely explains the ideals of zone management to fend or create disruption or manage the in between.
Richie Sevrinsky
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Most of "Zone to Win" is only relevant to readers at the CEO/CTO level, and even within that audience, for those few who are patient and methodical enough to dedicate themselves wholeheartedly to its approach.
Dmitry Tumanov
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Very short book with a couple of good ideas. Its take on Microsoft does not appear to be on the money. Quick read, so I won't consider it a waste. Most interesting parts are in the middle, especially Incubation and Transformation zone.
Cheri
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it
The concepts were definitely directly applicable to what my company is currently going through - writing was a bit too academic for my tastes and assumed that companies are selling products (which we don't) so I had to do a bit of translation to our situation. Still worth the read.
Hildebrando Quiroz
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting book!

This is a very interesting book with a great view in regards to what should be taking into account as part of the playbook strategy either on defensive or offensive mode. Thanks!
Andy Ruth
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked the examples used to solidify the ideas.

It took me a bit to get through this book. Picked it up, set it down, repeat. Once i got to the meat, i really enjoyed it. Not new, but presentation and organization made it feel fresh.
Gerald
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Read this book if you want to be successful in the age of disruption. It presents a framework applicable at the strategic and tactical levels of an established companies to respond to the possible effects of disruption in their business and operating models.
Mark Shurtleff
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good analysis and review of tech changes and disruptions and how companies can grow with the "right" choices. Related to The innovators dilemma, Blue Ocean Strategy other tech trends business evolution books. Good examples.

• Project to Product: How to Survive and Thrive in the Age of Digital Disruption with the Flow Framework
  • Exponential Organizations: Why New Organizations Are Ten Times Better, Faster, Cheaper Than Yours (and What To Do About It)
  • The Three Signs of a Miserable Job: A Management Fable About Helping Employees Find Fulfillment in Their Work
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business
  • Powerhouse
  • How the Internet Happened: From Netscape to the iPhone
  • Only the Paranoid Survive. Lessons from the CEO of INTEL Corporation
  • Making Work Visible: Exposing Time Theft to Optimize Work & flow
  • Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, eBooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business
  • The Alliance: Managing Talent in the Networked Age
  • The Making of a Manager: What to Do When Everyone Looks to You
  • The Unicorn Project
  • Trailblazer: The Power of Business as the Greatest Platform for Change
  • The Toyota Way: 14 Management Principles from the World's Greatest Manufacturer
  • The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations
  • Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders
  • Tough Love: My Story of the Things Worth Fighting For
Geoffrey Moore is an author, speaker, and advisor who splits his consulting time between start-up companies in the Mohr Davidow portfolio and established high-tech enterprises, most recently including Salesforce, Microsoft, Intel, Box, Aruba, Cognizant, and Rackspace.

Moore’s life’s work has focused on the market dynamics surrounding disruptive innovations. His first book, Crossing the Chasm, focus