Start by marking “Mother Teresa's Advice for Jilted Lovers” as Want to Read:
Mother Teresa's Advice for Jilted Lovers

Read Book* *Different edition

Mother Teresa's Advice for Jilted Lovers

Mother Teresa’s Advice for Jilted Lovers is a hilarious, irreverent take on the darker side of spirituality.

Every time Tara Holland thinks she’s getting close to finally having her white wedding, the man who should be on his knee, giving her roses, winds up on his back, pushing up daisies. Needless to say, Tara’s beginning to think she’s cursed when it comes to men.

Her
Published January 6th 2016 by Donna Barker

To ask other readers questions about Mother Teresa's Advice for Jilted Lovers, please sign up.
Donna Barker Thanks for asking, Michele.
And for the lovely review. I'm chuffed!

Thanks for asking, Michele.
And for the lovely review. I'm chuffed!

Book 2, currently titled Mother Teresa's Karma for Killers, has been outlined. My plan is to start writing in earnest in November.

Mother Teresa's Advice for Jilted Lovers was born out of the chaos of NaNoWriMo 2013. I'm hoping the same magic dust will fall on my fingers this year.

And if not, I have a kick-ass writer's group to kick my ass and get the first draft done before Advice for Jilted Lovers releases on January 6!(less)

Start your review of Mother Teresa's Advice for Jilted Lovers
Donna Barker
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: book clubs, irreverent women
well, I wrote it, so I think it's pretty good!
Jacqui Nelson
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Best friends Tara and Betsy's journey toward psychic enlightenment is a hilarious, terrifying and heartwarming roller-coaster ride. The power of positive and negative energy becomes crystal clear on the pages of Ms Baker's unique debut novel. The locations of Vancouver and San Diego were painted with talented prose, but it is the landscape of the heart and soul that makes this story truly shine.

I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Kimberly
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Donna's book was multidimensional, creative, and original. I thought Betsy and Tara's relationship bordered co-dependency but it seemed to work throughout the book. I loved the references from the four agreements.
RobinLeigh Morgan
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-own-books
What woman doesn’t live for the day she’ll walk down the aisle wearing a gorgeous white wedding gown to begin her happy ever after? And the only nightmare she dreads coming true is being left at the altar alone with her man disappearing to parts unknown; and after which she begins to wonder whether or not she’s been the cause of her situation.

Imagine if you will if the reason for your true love’s no show had been his sudden demise? Wouldn’t you feel as if fate didn’t want you to marry this guy?
T. Mitchell
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mother Teresa’s Advice For Jilted Lovers is a hilarious, irreverent take on the darker side of spirituality. Tara Holland finds herself broken-hearted from yet another love affair gone wrong. The last guy was merely a jerk, but the other three mysteriously up and died on her. Needless to say, Tara’s beginning to think she’s cursed when it comes to men. Her best friend, Betsy, who’s always there to put the pieces back together with enough herbal remedies to open up a health food store, convinces ...more
Kayce Hughlett
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So many books, so little time. This one is worth making time to read! I met author Donna Barker at a Writers Conference and she offered to send me an advance read copy of Mother Teresa's Advice. I loaded it on my iPad and headed off to Paris for my own adventure. By day, I strolled through the streets of Paris and Provence. By night, I curled up with the delightful twists and turns of "Mother Teresa." Donna's creativity and fresh storyline leave me rather wordless... and I'm a writer. A few, ...more
Julie
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fun and quirky book! I really loved the main character. I think many can relate to Tara's struggle with God through organized religion. At risk of spoiling anything, I will just say I love the spiritual journey she took even though discovering her power within through her business was definitely offbeat. Well, I suppose I should say the business was offbeat. Ha. The entire premise of the book engaged me from the beginning and carried me throughout. If you're looking for a creative and ...more
Cindy
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting read and not at all what expected. Some of the character lines were visible early on in the story but did not detract from the story itself. Well formed plots with some comedic attributes. Very enjoyable.
Cherie O'Boyle
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unusual plot, exceptionally well-written. Riches here for all readers. The story has elements that will appeal to everyone who has ever loved, been lost, felt betrayed, or enjoyed hope renewed.
James Knight
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Donna Barker’s genre-defying book, Mother Teresa’s Advice for Jilted Lovers is a hidden treasure! It is a laugh-out-loud hilarious journey into the mind, especially the deliciously unique and highly creative mind of Ms. Barker. It is part murder mystery, part a thought-provoking spiritual journey into the conflict between good and evil, part heart-warming romance, part an exploration of friendship gone wrong, part a self-help spiritual healing advice book, and all infused with dark humor and ...more
Kat
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arr
Advance Reader's Copy was given by the author in exchange for my honest review.

The thing that caught my attention and made me curious about this book is the synopsis of the story of Tara and how every boyfriend she've had died without her doing anything. At first I was like, "Is this a paranormal or something?" and "This story is so weird, different and confusing but still, it seems interesting." Also, what caught my attention the most is the "rebel romance" description Donna gave to this book.
Marielle
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quirky, original page turner about what could happen if The Secret became true.

This was a freebee on Amazon when I got this a while back, and it had been calling out to me from my TBR ever since. I'm glad I started this. And I hope more people will too. My rating? I've rounded up because things a well written, daring, original debut that I think deserved it.

While thinking about how to rate this, I'm struck again with how much I depend on putting things in neat little boxes and not finding - or
Kathy
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this from Library Thing for an honest review. This is a real quirky book, with an interesting, somewhat creative plot. Tara Holland has a tough time with men. Every time she thinks she is close to commitment, the man in her life ends up dead. Thus, she thinks she is jinxed. However, her best friend Betsy convinces her she has an unusual psychic gift that allows her to cause a man’s untimely demise. Both women team up to start a psychic business to help women everywhere solve their ...more
Suzanne
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book definitely crosses several genres but that is one of the things I liked best about it. Some parts made me laugh, some parts kept me guessing, some parts had me wishing I had a guy like Glen or a friend like Tara, and some parts had me not able to put it down.
Personally I could relate to Tara's inner struggle with the religion she was brought up in versus the way she sees the world as an adult. Even though she considers herself a not very devoted atheist, she still feels a pull to the
Abigail Davies
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Danielle Fisher
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Thanks goes out to Barker for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This book started off very strong. I was hooked and engaged with the unique storytelling, interesting plot line, and engaging questions that I really wanted to continue to read to learn the answers to. I thought the characters were well-developed, the plot was strong and, for the most part, the book had a steady pace to it.

So why the loss of a star? Unfortunately, the best friend really did not sit well with
Michele Fogal
I loved this book! It's quirky. It's weird. It's hilarious.

Barker creates a world a quarter turn towards magic realism where super powers of the mind are a real possibility and could be responsible for a string of odd ball accidents, coincidences that are stacking up a bit too high for normal mishaps.

There's romance, there's murder mystery, there's black humour, there's an irreverent spiritual journey and under it all, there's a subtle exploration of the difference between right and wrong and
Kerryn Reid
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all, I LOVE the title! Right off the bat, you know this book won’t be quite like anything you’ve read before.
Second, I love the premise! Singular, kooky, and much too fiendish for Tara Holland, the sweet, self-effacing, romantically bumbling protagonist.
I believe in the power of positive (and negative) thinking to influence our individual little worlds. But Ms. Barker has taken the notion to hilarious lengths. It could be a frightening sort of paranormal except that her approach is so
Medavis66
The path to spiritual enlightenment... is definitely NOT found in this book, but you will get a few laughs along the way. It has a kind of lopsided approach that is rather different and that is what kept me reading. Not much of what you expect in here and not a book easy to describe. Some things that happen are unfortunate and untimely, but the twist her best friend puts on things will get you thinking. A few parts didn't quite pan out or get explained like I imagined it hoped, but it was cute ...more
Virma
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not what I expected....funny and twisted! Had me hooked from the start. Even though at times Tara, one of the main characters, could border on pathetic we always knew she was going to brought back to reality- it is chick-lit after all. I really liked the dark humor in this book. Some of us may have known early on what was going on but you were still hooked to see what was coming next. I'm definitely going to pass this one along as thumbs up!
MaryAnn Clarke
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wf
Thelma and Louise discover The Secret.

Barker's murder mystery, women's fiction, self help treatise is a genre mash-up like no other. Fast paced, witty, wry, clever, beguilingly mysterious and metaphysically challenging, even while being tongue in cheek and laugh out loud funny.

Someone just break your heart? Boyfriend behaving like a jerk? Thinking of swearing off men forever? This is the book for you. Buy a tub of Ben n Jerrys and a bottle of wine and settle in for a helluva ride.
Sharon Anderson
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Donna Barker's Mother Teresa's Advice for Jilted Lovers is a smart, funny book that sets up the protagonist with an impossible gift. I'm not going to spoil the fun, but know that I loved it! The writing is exceptional, the story is original, leaving me longing for the next book Ms. Barker publishes. Thank you!
Cheryl Montgomery-Nolan
I loved this book! It starts out fairly light. Two women friends decide to help other women who are in bad relationships. Then it turns a bit scary! This is a really good read, and I loved that my hometown of Sacramento is mentioned. I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review - and I'm so glad I did.
Soccergypsy
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
** ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review. **

Witty and quirky in the best possible ways. I laughed out loud numerous times and enjoyed the paranormal touch. The varying depths of true friendship and love and what one would do for, and to, another were wonderfully addressed. Beautiful teaser at the end. Highly recommend.
Dee Lancaster
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun! I enjoyed this book. Quirky and thoughtful. The main character is a much better person than I am. An unpredictable read. Recommended!
LL
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Won on GFR and glad I did
Jason Lee
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolute delightful read from start to finish! I found myself not wanting to put the book down because I was addicted to finding out what happens to Tara and Betsy, yet I also didn't want the book to end because of how real the characters are. This book has a bit of everything: romance, spirituality, mystery, business & marketing and personal development, all of which is nicely paced in the book. I particularly enjoyed the quirky moments between Tara and Betsy and how their friendship is ...more
Vickie Garner
I thought this would be more of a murder mystery slash thriller. This is more of a self realization story of a woman with what seems a special gift. Her dear friend talks her into using this gift to take care of people who should go away. Mainly men. This was not my type of story. Not that it was bad. I wasn't compelled to know the rest of the story. I stopped over halfway to find a more suited read for me
Meryl
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

I have had difficulty trying to put words together for a review. I struggled to get into the story. I enjoy dark humour but found very little to enjoy in this read. Tara was a bit weak willed and flaky for me. I did enjoy her friend Betsy the psychopath though.

The most endearing part of the story was the meditation in the prison holding cells. I enjoyed how they connected.
Krista Wallace
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fun and unusual story! I love it when a book surprises me. This one didn't surprise me that it was well-written, but because it didn't follow a standard plot structure. Several times I found myself saying, "I did not expect it to go *there*!" And it worked. The story made me laugh, it was tough to put down, and came to a delightfully satisfying conclusion.... Uh oh... a hint that the story may not be over quite yet...!

• A Forged Affair (Life is a Journey #2)
  • The Black Curtain
  • Alpha Male: The 10 Laws of Alpha Male: How to Become Alpha Male and Attract Women (Confidence, Success, Social Anxiety, Dating Advice For Men Book 1)
  • Healing the Hurts of Your Past: A Guide to Overcoming the Pain of Shame
  • Rich Dad, Poor Dad
  • Wet Hot Bears (Bear/Chaser Three-way)
  • The Atomic Weight of Love
  • The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell
  • Lord of Time
  • After Dark (Ghost Hunters, #1)
  • Storm of Visions (The Chosen Ones, #1)
  • Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1)
  • Foul Is Fair
  • A Woman in Berlin: Eight Weeks in the Conquered City: A Diary
  • Storm of Shadows (The Chosen Ones, #2)
  • Build Better Characters: The psychology of backstory & how to use it in your writing to hook readers (Creative Academy Guides for Writers Book 2)
  • Golden Fool (Tawny Man, #2)
  • To the Edge (The Bodyguards, #1)
Donna Barker is a career, technical ghost-writer and workshop presenter. At age forty she decided she’d like to be a published author and after ten years of arguing with her inner critic, she achieved that goal.

Her debut novel, Mother Teresa's Advice for Jilted Lovers, won the Chanticleer Book Reviews award for best Mystery/Suspense Women's Fiction and was a nominee in the prestigious Whistler