Start by marking “At Last” as Want to Read:
At Last

At Last (The Idle Point Stories #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  1,852 Ratings  ·  154 Reviews
From the moment they met as children, there was something special between Noah Chase and Gracie Taylor, something that grew and matured right along with them. Despite Gracie's troubled family--and Noah's cold, distant one--they man-aged to make each other laugh, and keep each other's dreams alive...

But Noah's father already had plans for his golden boy's future--plans that
Published November 1st 2000 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about At Last, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At Last

Michelle Connolly
I thought I was really going to like this book. I love stories when the main characters have known each other for a long time and one of them has always been in love with the other... but in all honesty, this one just didn't do it for me.
For starters, it had way too much backstory. Sometimes it feels like Noah and Gracie are actually secondary characters and the plot revolves around their parents and their dislike for each other.
I never really felt the romance between the "main characters". Wha
Vikki Vaught
There were many aspects of the book that I truly enjoyed. The writing is emotional, the characters developed. I will not go into detail because I do not want to have any spoilers, but toward the end of the book, Ms. Bretton had the characters having a scene that did not sit well with me. Nonetheless, the rest of the book is a compelling and unique read. Happy reading!
Monica Beevers
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book. The author gives you the back story and the current story while maintaining the mystery of the conflict that prevails in both. Very interesting and I loved the characters.
Thom Swennes
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“There is only one happiness in this life, to love and be loved.”
George Sand
Simon Chase is the proud member of a dynasty. The Chase family can trace their roots to almost the beginning. They were the founders of Idle Point, Maine and remain the richest and most influential family in this part of the state. Simon’s duty to carry on the Chase line weighed heavily on his mind. When he married Ruth, they were sure their lives would be full and complete. This dream was soon dispelled when no child ca
Jo - *✽*•.★Reading Is My Bliss★.•*✽*
This sort of story is right up my alley, second chance love, family secrets and a cute wee girl :)

Gracie has lived at Idle Point her whole life. Her mother died when she was a baby and her father turned to alcohol. This meant that her Grandmother pretty much raised her. Her father never seemed to get over losing her mother and seemed to forget that he even had a daughter.

When Gracie was 5 years old she met Noah at school. He was a sweet boy who took her under his wing and made her feel welcome a
GW
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
Got this free on the kindle, and I really wanted to like it more, but I couldn't. I didn't feel connected with the story, and I felt little to no emotion at all. The story's simply telling you what happened, and you read about the romance - but you don't feel it at all. It's a beginning from when they were little kids to their mid twenties. I mean, there wasn't any depth to the book either. It's in the 3rd POV, and we hear a little bit from everyone. I sometimes like the 3rd POV, but it just did ...more
Adri
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
The story was sweet if predictable.

What bothered me was that a seasoned writer (I have never read anything else by this author but see on her profile that she has published multiple books) would permit so many inconsistencies and sloppy editing. In some places the 'hippie' family has 11 kids, in another 12. In some places a character is called Ann and a page or two later it is Mary. There are many places where sentences aren't separated by full stops, where words run into one another.

I find th
Ann-marie
This is my fourth Barbara Bretton book so obviously I am a fan. Noah and Graciela have known each other all their life(since kindergarten). This is not only a love story but tragedy as well. Gracie mother died very young. She had to deal with an alcoholic father and was raised by her grandmother in poor setting. Noah is from a rich family and his father noticing both children care for each other even as they got older did not like it. It is revealed that Noah's dad had a relationship in high sch ...more
Janet
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Idle Point, Maine Stories - Book One

I absolutely love this story of Gracie and Noah. They become friends at a very young age, but were separated by distance until they were teenagers. When they meet again, they fall in love, but dark family secrets keep them apart. This book has enough twists and turns that kept me turning page after page to see what would happen next. I read it straight through.
I love all the books that Barbara Bretton has written; I have never been disappointed by any of them
Tracy
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book reads like a Biography at first, then becomes a Contemporary Romance. By this, I refer to the style of the author in telling the story. In the first part, we get a lengthy exposition on their backstories. Then, we catch up to the present and I just didn't care anymore. The conflict brings up a lot of drama but I can't help myself from rolling my eyes. The way they were presented was like they were destined to be together, but circumstances keep them apart, when in fact, the heroine is ...more
Lindsay Allison
This was a pretty bad book. I got through the first couple chapters and realized that I really didn't care about the characters. I'm supposed to be reading a contemporary romance but I'm reading about children.

I skimmed ahead and found that the main conflict was...worrisome and I didn't care to read the rest. I read the last chapter to confirm my suspicions.

The writing left something to be desired. The structure of the story wasn't good. There was way too much backstory at the front end of the b
Kathy
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
They grew up together,sort of. Her grandmother worked as cook for his parents. His father hated her father. The family’s never got along but the two of them fell in love and planned to marry. His father found out and told her something that caused her to run for eight years. Read Noah and Grace’s story of heartache.
Sandee Rodriguez
Loved this book

I read this book in a day. I just couldn't put it down until
it was finished. Hope the next is as good.
Ayny
Steph
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did quite enjoy the book, the plot is a bit long winded but I found it strangely emotional! Not one I'd read again, but a decent enough book for bed time reading.
Elizabeth
Oct 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Great beach read.
Katie O'Sullivan
Mar 10, 2015 rated it liked it
First let me say I enjoyed this book and found myself fascinated by the world and characters the author created. Her descriptions were detailed and loving as she described the coastal community and its inhabitants, and I was engrossed in the love story, rooting for the happily ever after.

But.

The writing style was old fashioned, or old school, or something early 90's... Different enough to keep pulling me out of the story to take a deep breath and say, well that's just her unique style. Parts sou
Sumita Haldar
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who like romantic books
small town, childhood love, feuding families and secrets.

All the necessary ingredients for a poignant romantic story. I just devoured it. The booked hooked me from start to end. The only complaint i have that it got over.
This is the first Barbara Bretton book i read and it is not going to be the last.

I loved everything about this book, The storyline, writing style, well developed main characters and the secondary characters. It even had a very capturing prologue. The story is written from both h
JoAnne
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, set-in-maine
Idle Point, Maine Book # 1
The story begins with Gracie running away after a meeting with Simon Chase. She goes to get gas on her way out of town. What did he say to her to make her not go to her wedding?

Gracie meets Noah on their first day of kindergarten. Her grandmother works as a cook for his family. Gracie was born after her parents were married 20 years. Her father is 47 and he is a drunk. He started drinking after her mother died when Gracie was a baby. Noah's mother gave Gracie a sweater
jackie frye
Jun 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Grace fell in love with Noah their first day of kindergarten. When she was a child all Gracie wanted was a TV family, a mother and father who loved her. However, her mother had died in a car accident when she was a baby and her father was a drunk who paid her absolutely no attention. Noah was the son of the wealthiest family in their small Maine town. He was shipped off to boarding school when he was only six years old. He and Gracie saw each other infrequently until the summer he was 17. That s ...more
Lindelicious
When Gracie was just a baby her mother passed away tragically. Unable to deal with the loss, her father turned to alcohol for relief leaving his daughter to be raised in poverty by her grandmother. Noah on the other hand comes from the most prominent family in town. The two meet in kindergarten where a tenuous friendship is built. Noah is soon sent to boarding school and their romance blooms when he returns at the age of seventeen and they plan an elopement. To keep Gracie away from his son Simo ...more
Eileen Carter
Love, old rivals, dark secrets make this a story you won't be able to put down

Old secrets, small towns, high school rivals these are things that can be found in any small town in the United States. Idle Point, Maine is no different.
Gracie had a rough start in life with the death of her mother from a car accident. Thankfully her grandma is there to help raise her, as her father is known as the town drunk, who tries to get sober every once in awhile, but never long enough to take care of her. Noa
Larissa
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The full effect can be caught by clicking here.

If you have ever wonder how it would be like to read a story with 8 years ago; jump to a childhood — around 5 years old —, and travel the story up until 8 years later this book is for you. Don’t give up on how nice starts and how slow the first half will be, because what’s coming next is absolute gold.

Meeting the love of your life at 5 years old, might be a bit unsettling to read. But when the boy of Gracie’s eyes goes to boarding school at the tend
Jo Notary
Forbidden Love Going Home
493k She was his anchor. He was her home.
Gracie Taylor fell in love with Noah Chase on the first day of kindergarten. Gracie was the girl from the wrong side of town. Noah was the town's golden boy. Their families had been at loggerheads since the death of Gracie's mother years ago and as they grew up, they had to risk everything to be together.
But it was worth it, because when they were together, nothing else mattered.
Then, on their wedding day, Gracie discovered a secr
Pia
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sandy Grissett
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story! I loved it!

This is a story of Gracie and Noah. They were just 5 years old when they met and she considered him her knight. He was from a rich family and she was from a poor family. Noah's dad sent him away to boarding school. When he returned at age 17, Noah and Gracie got back together. Her mother died when she was very young and her dad turned to alcohol. She was raised by her Grannie. Noah's dad and Gracie's dad had deep hatred for each other and was determined to keep them fro
Cathy Sauer
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put it down

I thought I had this story all figured out by the time I'd read about 25% of the book. I kept reading knowing I was near the end. Unfortunately, I had to put it down and when I checked to see how much was left, I was shocked to see I was only 55% of the way through. Great story !
Jo Notary
Going Home
324pgs, She was his anchor. He was her home.
Gracie Taylor fell in love with Noah Chase, Idle Point's golden boy, on the first day of kindergarten. Gracie was the girl from the wrong side of town. But when they were together, nothing else mattered.
Then, on their wedding day, Gracie discovered a secret that sent her running from Idle Point, leaving Noah with a broken heart to match her own.
Now, eight years later, Gracie returns to Maine for her father's wedding. When she discovers Noah
Angel **Book Junkie**
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
As much as I thought this was going to be just another romance story it wasn't and I liked it.
I liked the characters especially Noah and Gracie and I liked the story. I always like a good book where that the parents are at odds and the big thing was I just liked the plot. While I did not think that Gracie and Noah had a true romance. I never felt the connection but, I guess that love stories sometimes can be felt but not seen. The thing is I felt the love between the two of them but I never did
Goodreads Librari...: Series - Idle Point 2 16 Jan 18, 2015 05:46AM
  • The Love Of A Cowboy (Callister, #1)
  • The Black Sheep (New Moon Bay, #1)
  • Unbreak My Heart
  • Moonlight and Margaritas
  • More Than Memories
  • Memories
  • Once Was Lost
  • Bound To You
  • Baby, I'm Back! (Return to Redemption, #2)
  • Secret Vow
  • Love Will Find a Way
  • Fatal Embrace
  • The Christmas Tree Treasure Hunt
  • Almost a Bride (Wyoming Wildflowers, #1)
  • Donovan's Angel (Donovan's of the Delta #1)
  • Missing Pieces of My Forever-Heart
  • Stuck On You
  • At Long Odds (Caspian Chronicles, #1)
Barbara Bretton is the USA Today bestselling, award-winning author of more than 40 books. She currently has over ten million copies in print around the world. Her works have been translated into twelve languages in over twenty countries.

Barbara has been featured in articles in The New York Times, USA Today, Wall Street Journal, Romantic Times, Cleveland Plain Dealer, Herald News, Home News, Somer
More about Barbara Bretton...

The Idle Point Stories (2 books)
  • Someone Like You

“The parent-child connection was as deep and wide as the ocean, as mysterious as heaven, as impossible to explain as love.” 0 likes
“Sometimes the little voices in your head were all that stood between you and oblivion.” 0 likes