Start by marking “Poor Unfortunate Soul: A Tale of the Sea Witch” as Want to Read:
Poor Unfortunate Soul: A Tale of the Sea Witch

Poor Unfortunate Soul: A Tale of the Sea Witch

(Villains #3)

The third novel in Serena Valentino's (Fairest of All, Beast Within) "VILLAINS" trilogy, featuring the story of the Little Mermaid from the perspective of the sea witch Ursula.
Published July 26th 2016 by Disney Press

To ask other readers questions about Poor Unfortunate Soul, please sign up.
Mandy Smith The lady at Barnes and Noble said they were stand alone books, so I purchased and read Poor Unfortunate Soul and was SO LOST, I didn't understand why…moreThe lady at Barnes and Noble said they were stand alone books, so I purchased and read Poor Unfortunate Soul and was SO LOST, I didn't understand why I was being told certain things...where other people fit...etc. It seemed as though the author assumed I knew other things.

So...I realized I was supposed to read them in order lol, I've just purchased the first book, and it'll be here soon...hopefully it'll shed light to some of what I read in book #3!(less)

Darth J
Mar 30, 2016 marked it as to-read

I admit that in the past I've been a nasty
They weren't kidding when they called me, well, a witch

Move over Maleficent, 2016 looks to be Ursula's year. Not only is she getting her own Lego, but she's also getting her own book.

And I fortunately know a little magic
It's a talent that I always have possessed
And here lately, please don't laugh,
I use it on behalf
of the miserable, lonely and depressed

Poor unfortunate souls
In pain, in need
This one longing to be thinner
That one wants to get the
Dania
Jul 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
A bit disappointed. Not entirely what I expected. Plus, the story was not centered around Ursula. I was hoping to get an insight on this famous Disney Villain; however, I still feel like I know nothing about her.
Dannii Elle
This is the third instalment in the Villains series, which rework the original tales from the initial villain's perspective.

This focuses on the infamous Ursula from the story of The Little Mermaid. I found this story the most vastly different to the original. There were some elements that remained and this still did coincide with its predecessor but, instead, focused on alternative facets that ran alongside the former story. I loved this individual take on the events that occurred and how the au
Sara M. Abudahab
May 14, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: ebooks
A story by Ursula??!! the villain from my all time favorite Disney movie The Little Mermaid?
count me in!
I've always loved URSULA and was amazed by her powers! she took Ariel's voice and store it in a shell *that gotta give her some points*

I hope this is the kind of story where Ursula is not the villain and that we get to see her perspective of the story *just like the Broadway show Wicked*

description

description
Mackenzie
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
I happen to be a big fan of Ursula. She is, thus far, my all time favorite Disney villain. Having admitted that, I recognize that I may have gone into this story with hopes raised too high. I expected something a little more unique and a little less borrowed. Only half the story is directly focused on the sea witch. The rest is some tangential plot of a princess Tulip and her witchy nanny? I don't know. Something to do with a continuing plot from the author's first two books, supposedly. Then, t ...more
Becky Ginther
I enjoyed the other two books in this series, but I have to say I was disappointed in this one. Rather than really focusing on the villain (Ursula) and delving into her backstory, the author chose to kind of branch off and create a sidestory pretty much unrelated to Ursula or The Little Mermaid. The strength of the other books was that it took a story we all know and love and put an interesting twist on it. This one only touched on the actual Little Mermaid story briefly. We got a glimpse into U ...more
Nele
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairytale, favorites
I just received this pretty book yesterday. What an amazing cover. It was well worth the wait, and then I've read the book in less than a day. Yes, I received it yesterday and I've finished this morning, before going to work.
I need more books in this series. There's no way that this is the end... I need other villains, so get to work, Serena! Read: Maleficent, Medusa, Yzma...
I love me a good villain story. And in my honest opinion, it's the best one so far.
Ashley
Jan 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
I don't think I have ever given a 1 star review on here before, but this book was so disappointing and poorly written, that I had no other choice. When I try and think about anything redeemable this book offered, I come up blank. To be fair, I had not read the first two books in the series, so I came in at the end of the story for the three odd sisters. At first I didn't find this to be a problem, but the more I realized this story is not actually about Ursula, and instead about the three witche ...more
Emerald Sue
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
“Well, well, my dear. Are we so brokenhearted as that? Is the loss of that terrible prince really worth your life?”
Sarah Churchill
Depsite there being three smilies on the first page alone, the writing got better and I really got into it. Much better than I expected in all honesty. Runs alongside the Little Mermaid movie from Ursula's point of view, as well as some other characters involved in the story that we've never met. It's not going to win any awards, but it does what it promises. I think you need to know the original well, and if you love that enough then you're going to have to read this POV.
Heather Taake
Apr 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Really fun! However, I think I need to read the other two. There are some unanswered questions at the end of this book. I didn't realize the books were connected.
Stefanie  (foreversweetserendipity)
A quick and interesting take on some of Ursula's back story as well as how all the magical kingdoms are intertwined. Simple and different. It could have been more in depth, but it was more of a lighthearted read without many layers. I definitely plan to read the next one.
Alaina

I love the cover. I loved the book. It makes me really want to re-watch The Little Mermaid.

Man, oh man, I do love villains. Ursula is probably my favorite villain but it could be because of her super freaking catchy songs.

I feel like all the books within this Villains series just keep getting better and better. Plus having all of these disney movies and being a total disney geek as
Vampirerichard
Jan 20, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tales, fantasy
Missed Chance.
I had really high hopes for a book about my favourite Disney Villain, but boy was I dissapointed. I don't understand how this got published, I thought Disney had higher standards.
The story is incoherent and makes a lot of unclear and unnecessary references to other characters (presumably from the other two books in the series) and it focuses more on other characters than on our favourite Seawitch.
The book is dedicated to the authors dead cat, that's ok, but to make that dead cat o
Brittany
I wish Poor Unfortunate Soul had been more Ursula focused and less on other characters. Obviously her feud with her brother King Triton should have been a big part of the story, but honestly the inclusion of the "three dreaded sisters" and Princess Tulip was lost on me and kind of annoying. 3/5

UPDATE: I just read that this is a series of books not stand alone books on each villain. I am keeping my 3 star rating however because this is not communicated at all on the book itself.
Nicole (TheBookWormDrinketh)
2.5 out of 5 stars

I had such high hopes for this one! It sounded fantastic. A “Wicked” style story of “The Little Mermaid” from Ursula’s perspective. YES, PLEASE!

Unfortunately, it fell a little short. There were characters I didn’t understand, Princess Tulip (who made no sense in the story, and held no part in pushing along the story of Ursula…. it was actually based more off her than Ursula!), and the Odd Sisters, who I also didn’t understand.

I wish that I had purchased this book in an e-format
Danni The Girl
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-reading
This third book was just ok. It’s not entirely told from Ursula’s prospective. The three sisters feature in it again, I do like the fact that all these books are linked, but I felt with this story some of the characters didn’t need to be featured.
I wish it was focused more on Ursula and not the sisters or Princess Morningstar and Tulip. I did start getting confused with going back and forth as I’ve read a few books in between this one and the one before.

I thought the opening of the book was re
MissBecka
What a wonderful angle to have a retelling from.
Fast and fun read.
Jenny Clark
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fairy-tale
Another one along the same lines as the last two- A little young for me, but still pretty enjoyable. I felt like this one did not focus on Ursula as much as the others focused on their villains. I am curious as to who Nanny is exactly though. I think she either The Evil Queen, Mother Gothel or The Fairy Godmother.
Good for Disney fans, or fairy tale fans.
Mandy Mcdonald
Another installment in this series that I very much enjoyed. I did feel like there were some plot holes that either I missed completely or that were left out. But overall a good read! Excited to finally get to the Dark Fairy that we’ve been building up to. My fave “villain” indeed.
Jennifer Girard
3.5

I didn't know it was a real series so I was a little bit confused by some of the story about the three sisters but it wasn't too bad.

I wished it was more about Ursula and less about the sisters but it's interesting to see how all the villains are related in some ways!
Erin Shirely
Mar 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
Straight. Trash.
Fifi
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am pleasantly surprised over how much I enjoyed this! While the first book about Snow White/evil queen is one of my favorite books ever, the second book about the Beast fell flat for me. I wasn't sure what to expect after the second book but this book was breathtaking! After finishing this book, I have decided that this is now one of my all time favorite series and probably would still be even if I didn't have a deep and undying love for Disney.

This book tells the story of the Little Mermaid
Natalie
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
I liked this one the least of the 3. For a book about Ursula, she was barely in it and there was very little backstory about her and how she came to be the sea witch. Her reason to hate Triton just seemed weak for the amount of hatred she had for him.

I liked Fairest of All because it delved into the Queen's psyche. This did not. It was basically like, "yeah, Ursula is evil" without really explaining why or how she came to be that way.

There was not a clear plotline either. I'm not sure why it w
Taylor
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: disney
I loved the past two books but I felt that this one was written as a fan fiction of sorts. The plot was good but it focused on and brought up too many characters to get the full picture. My one major critique is that it seemed there was no editing and Valentino rushed to finish the book. Overall, I'm a little disappointed but to younger readers I'm sure it is much better.
Meredith Spidel
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Too fun to receive an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review! I didn't even know this Disney villian series existed. Neat spin on all the classic tales and perfect for any Disney fan!
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Quick and interesting story. I liked it better than Beast's story.
Edward
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
The best out of the first three I would say. It was a really fun read, quick and easy, a narrative that runs alongside the Little Mermaid movie but obviously from Ursula's perspective. These books will certainly not be recognized as classics yet that doesn't matter to me, they're worth the read, enjoyable.
Katie.dorny
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This book didn't entirely focus on Ursula. But i'm honestly not that mad about that. I love the sub plots and long may they continue.
I loved the fact that the Disney script was incorporated into this book because it made it more reminiscent for me and I love that.
I cannot wait to read the rest of these books!
Nicole
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love fairytale retellings and I had such high hopes for this book. This book just did not deliver. I thought it would focus more on Ursula and who she is as a character. It touched on it lightly, but instead of telling things from Ursula’s perspective, it focused more on a different story entirely. To me, it seemed like a big tangent that I wasn’t really interested in.
  • Part of Your World (Twisted Tales, #5)
  • Don't Call Me Kit Kat
  • Mirror, Mirror (Twisted Tales, #6)
  • Reflection (Twisted Tales, #4)
  • The Fearsome Foursome (Tales from the Haunted Mansion #1)
  • A Frozen Heart
  • Fifty Shades of Alice at the Hellfire Club (The Fifty Shades of Alice Trilogy Book 3)
  • To the Sea (Follow Your Bliss #1)
  • Sleeping Beauty, Indeed & Other Lesbian Fairytales
  • Logan (Saven #1.5)
  • Red's Untold Tale (Once Upon A Time, #4)
  • Grave Secrets
  • Captain Hook (Faerie Tale Collection, #14)
  • Ascension
  • The Summer Unplugged Series (Summer Unplugged, #1-4)
  • Scary Storybook Collection
  • Disney Trivia from the Vault: Secrets Revealed and Questions Answered
  • The Against Taffy Sinclair Club (Taffy Sinclair, #1)
Serena Valentino is best known for weaving tales that combine mythos and guile with her work on the comic book series GloomCookie and Nightmares & Fairy Tales, and her best selling Disney Villain Novels which have earned her critical acclaim for her unique style of storytelling, bringing her readers into exquisitely frightening worlds filled with terror, beauty and extraordinary female protago ...more

Villains (6 books)
  • Fairest of All: A Tale of the Wicked Queen
  • The Beast Within: A Tale of Beauty's Prince
  • Mistress of All Evil: A Tale of the Dark Fairy
  • Mother Knows Best: A Tale of the Old Witch
  • The Odd Sisters: A Villains Novel
“The old queen had failed them so miserably... She was such a bitter disappointment. But Ursula was different. There was no one to distract her, no one for her to love. She was alone in the world, alone in her grief, and alone with her pain. No, she wouldn't disappoint them. Unlike the old queen, Ursula would be able to fill her heart with hate.” 3 likes
“We're not here to discuss Maleficent! Her story is too long and complicated to debate in the time we have left...” 2 likes