Start by marking “Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat!, Volume 1: Hooked On A Feline” as Want to Read:
Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat!, Volume 1: Hooked On A Feline

Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat!, Volume 1: Hooked On A Feline

(Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat! #1)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  2,595 Ratings  ·  383 Reviews
Patsy Walker has managed to escape her past, her enemies and Hell itself (literally) - but nothing compares to job hunting in New York City! Between trying to make rent and dodging bullets, Patsy barely has time to deal with her mother's exploitative romance comics about Patsy's past resurfacing, much less how they start to interfere with her work and dating life. As she g ...more
Published July 5th 2016 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat!, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat!, Volume 1

Paul E. Morph
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Oof. I've always been a HUGE fan of Hellcat, so I was totally stoked when I heard she was getting her own book again. Then I read it. Ugh.

While I can totally appreciate what Kate Leth is doing here, combining the original Patsy Walker books with Patsy's more recent (relatively speaking) adventures as Hellcat, it's just not for me.

It's just too darned cutesy. Sickeningly saccharine. I wouldn't mind so much if this was aimed at kids; I'm a firm believer that there aren't enough comicbooks specific
Sesana
Jun 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
Like Squirrel Girl? You'll probably like Patsy Walker, too. It has a similar, silly sense of humor, though I just didn't love it quite as much as I love Squirrel Girl.
Nicole
Dec 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
almost too cutesy for me, reads like an even more saccharine version of squirrel girl (which i enjoy don't get me wrong!), so I was going to drop it but then they intro jessica jones on the last page so they got me. they got me.
Heatherblakely
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Compilation of my reviews of the individual issues, with the newest on top:

6. (Technically done with this volume now) What happened to Williams? This art is cute but a little too cute--when I started reading I assumed I was looking at childhood Patsy playing, not adult Patsy working. I liked the story in this one, but again, I felt like I was reading about kids. (Also Jen called Patsy "babe" and my gaydar pinged.)

5. So many strong women! I love Jen, and I love all the female friendships in this
Larakaa
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
ah, this was really something special. I really like how the depiction of patsy/Hellcat changes with her mood. From classic heroine to cute chibi and more. It has a kind of light and positive feeling but isn't too ridiculous. The supporting cast is great and very likeable.

Also: great bisexual representation! woohoo!
Peter Derk
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Look through the reviews, you'll see the word "cutesy" pop up a lot. And they're not wrong. If you've got a reader who's into Moongirl or maybe those Batgirl comics that were aimed at a younger audience, they'll probably like this one. But if those are on the younger side, you might take a pass.

Which is too bad because I like the setup. I like where it's going, I like the whole thing where Patsy Walker's mom based some romance books on her. I liked how the moment was handled when a superpowered
Nicole
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, graphic, favorites
I don't know why but I probably never would have picked this up, if I hadn't seen it while browsing through the comics on Prime Reading. Now, I just wanna spend all my money on things Hellcat.

I seriously loved this. The artwork was super great. I loved the characters. I loved the stories. It's just super fun to read and I had such a great time with this. It's also kinda adorable. I LOVE IT.
Dan
Jan 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
so sick of cutesy comics. I get it Disney owns Marvel now but I am not a 12 yr old girl and really do not find drama laden books fun.
Chessa
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, kindle
Even though I kind of sort of hated the jarring art shift in the last issue (#6), I'm giving this a 4.5 but rounding up. I super loved this! Patsy is just such an awesome earnest person - she's trying to do the right thing, even though it's not coming easy. Loved the art in issues 1-5 and all the rad cameos from other comics - I've never actually considered reading Howard the Duck before, but now I'm kind of wondering...(my only experience is the terrible 80s movie).

I laughed out loud a LOT. Lov
Chad
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Patsy Walker is trying to get her life back together in NYC. She's decided to stay away from the big super battles and focus on helping the little guys so to speak. She fights and then helps out some people with very minor super powers as she struggles through a bunch of dead end jobs. Kate Leth does a wonderful job of incorporating the Patsy Walker romance comics of the Timely comics era. They are now comics Patsy's mom wrote about her and her friends when she was a teenager.

The Good: Kate Let
Nadja
Fun quick read. Loved the artwork and all the characters. All that sass! ^_^
Kenny
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Love it.
Cheese
Jul 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Decent but not great, I'd like to know more about her origin, but I think all these new marvel now girl hero books are aimed at a younger female crowd, not really as good as I thought it would be.
Lila (Hardcover Haven)
very, very cute! i have a new superheroine to adore now!
Tina
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I randomly saw this comic while checking out the comic book section at my local bookstore and I was immediately intrigued - first by the art an then also by the title (the title of this volume is first of the many puns you will come across while reading this comic because there are puns everywhere and I love it). I wasn't familiar at all with the older Patsy Walker comics, but I shall definitely give them a go after discovering this gem. Of course, you don't actually need any previous knowledge ...more
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read, comics
Well that was lush.
kels
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, graphic-novels
It's super cute. Yep. Adorable, bright, fun, sweet. I really like the art style - very animated and poppy.

Things I loved about this: diverse cast, awesome female friendships, queer representation that isn't ooohed and aahhed over. Even the background felt super vibrant and natural, instead of that typical flat-white we often see in comics.

So why only the three stars? Well, the thing is this: I feel like Marvel is churning out interchangeable female headliners, all sassy and quirky and silly an
Skip
Jan 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I thought this was awful. Let's chalk it up to I'm not the intended audience. The issues in the book and the dialogue were juvenile. And, the employment service for super heroes is hardly a novel concept. In fact, the only thing I liked was the author's choice to feature openly gay characters, which is refreshing for this genre.
Leo
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5/5.

This is the best thing that has happened to me since Charles Soule's run on She Hulk.
Alexandra Calaway
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads, comics
My cat's full name is now Nimona Louise Hellcat. ALSO - the fan letters in the back with all the cats reading Hellcat? OMG. ADORBS.
Elizabeth
Honestly, outside of the Jessica Jones Netflix series, I have basically no exposure to Patsy Walker as herself or Hellcat. I wasn't sure what I would think of this, but it seemed interesting, and I've liked some of Kate Leth's webcomics, so I was prepared to give it a try. I'm so glad I did.

This was so much fun! The art was extremely cute, and I mean that in the best possible way. The characters were charming, fun, and easy to connect with. The sense of humour was great. The story was fun, but I
Grey Winters
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had read some stories featuring Hellcat, thanks largely to West Coast Avengers and Avengers stories that I read growing up. Those stories were by far more serious than this collection. This takes a comedic look at her life as a superhero, but also as a person trying to survive. Overall, the story is enjoyable and the side characters are interesting and add some strength to the comedy side of things. It also has a strong postive message of people can change and even though they may do something ...more
Sean O
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I actually enjoyed this series. The first five issues was a complete arc which had a very good artist, which transitioned from cartoony to soap-opera-y. (The last issue had a seriously flawed artist, which managed to tell a story, but in a style that did nothing for me.)

I thought the first arc was really good. It introduced all the main characters, and did it in a fun breezy style. Patsy Walker is Hellcat, and she's a kind, fun, and rather ditzy person who just happens to be a superhero.

I really
Sara
One of the things I love is that they show people with superpowers who don’t want to fight crime but just want like...normal jobs!

The art was right up my alley too; expressive characters, fairly bright colours and some enviable outfits (looking at you Bailey)!

Only problem I had was that the plot felt a bit jumpy but overall this was a fun read! I’ll be jumping back into this world again for sure!!

Ps. She-Hulk and Valkyrie are total BABES and I love them
Mike
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gateway-comics
Super-clean-cut book, easy to put in the "get kids hooked on comics" category.

Love me a cover with 9 great comics heroes:

Super-fun with the silly friends' moments:
Robin Stevens
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really fun beginning to a new series! (12+)

*Please note: this review is meant as a recommendation only. If you use it in any marketing material, online or anywhere on a published book without asking permission from me first, I will ask you to remove that use immediately. Thank you!*
Jessamyn Leigh
Uplifting and funny in the same vein as Ryan North's Squirrel Girl.
Jasmine
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel, marvel
Omg this is so fun and adorable and bouncy and of course it was cancelled prematurely.
LynnDee (The Library Lush)
I liked this enough that I will try the next volume, but I felt like I needed to know more of the back story to fully understand some parts of it.
✨annabelle✨
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This comic series is diverse, fun, and colourful. 5/5 and is now one of my fav comic series.
  • Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 1: BFF
  • Zodiac Starforce Volume 1: By the Power of Astra
  • Spider-Gwen, Vol. 1: Greater Power
  • The Mighty Thor, Volume 1: Thunder in Her Veins
  • Silk, Volume 0: The Life and Times of Cindy Moon
  • Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening (Monstress, #1)
  • Black Canary, Volume 1: Kicking and Screaming
  • She-Hulk, Volume 2: Disorderly Conduct
  • Phonogram, Vol. 3: The Immaterial Girl
  • FF, Volume 2: Family Freakout
  • Jem and the Holograms, Volume 2: Viral
  • Gotham Academy, Vol. 2: Calamity
  • Storm Vol. 2: Bring the Thunder
Kate Leth (born 1989) is a comic artist and illustrator who has been posting her comics online since late 2010. She is mostly known as a webcomic artist, although she has been published in a few anthologies and occasionally sells prints of her mini-comics. She works at the comic shop "Strange Adventures" in Halifax, Canada.
She also writes for Bravest Warriors, Fraggle Rock and Edward Scissorhands

Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat! (3 books)
  • Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat!, Volume 2: Don't Stop Me-Ow

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Poisonwood Bible
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles #6)
  • The Question of Red