Start by marking “Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 1: BFF” as Want to Read:
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 1: BFF

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 1: BFF (Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur (Collected Editions) #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  4,160 Ratings  ·  674 Reviews
LUNELLA LAFAYETTE IS AN INHUMAN PRETEEN GENIUS WHO WANTS TO CHANGE THE WORLD!

That job would be a lot easier if she wasn't living in mortal fear of her latent Inhuman gene. There's no telling what she'll turn into - but Luna's got a plan. All she needs is an Omni-Wave Projector. Easy, right? That is, until a red-scaled beast is teleported from the prehistoric past to a far
Published July 5th 2016 by Marvel Comics (first published November 25th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Mac Cole Personally, I think this comic sounds fantastic. A comic about a nine-year-old black girl who is canonically the smartest protagonist in all of the…morePersonally, I think this comic sounds fantastic. A comic about a nine-year-old black girl who is canonically the smartest protagonist in all of the Marvel Universe who has a giant red Tyrannosaurus-Rex as a best friend? Seems like a good time.
If you think the premise sounds good, then why not go and look into it? Plus, as of answering this question, it has generally favorable reviews, which is a good sign.(less)

Dan Schwent
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-comics, 2018
When nine year old Lunella Lafayette finds a Kree Omni-Wave Projector, she means to use it to neutralize her dormant Inhuman genes. Instead, the device accidentally summons Devil Dinosaur and some hairy cavemen who are also looking for the Omni-Wave Projector. Can Lunella and Devil Dinosaur stop the cave men before something horrible happens?

I've heard good things about this book for the last couple years but resisted reading it since I'm a curmudgeon. Since I had some time to kill and felt like
Sam Quixote
Aug 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lunella (like lunar = Moon Girl – that’s the level of obviousness we’re operating at here) is supposedly a genius nine year old inventor. And PAUSE! The problem with writing a genius-intellect character is that the writers have to convince you of the character’s extraordinary intelligence and neither Brandon Montclare nor Amy Reeder achieves this. Six pages in, they demonstrate their own stupidity by dropping a clanger that completely shatters the flimsy illusion that Lunella is a “genius”.

Lune
Sesana
Jul 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
There's a lot about this book that I loved. In particular, Lunella, our Moon Girl. She's nine, and a genius, and determined not to let her genes rule her. She's an Inhuman (something she figured out herself) and doesn't want to be changed by the Terrigen mists. That's her driving motivation through most of the book. And, secondarily, to be understood. Because she is very bright, very young, very bored, and very much not like most kids her age. I loved her, even when she was frustrating. And I lo ...more
David Schaafsma
See, Lunella (the Moon, get it?) Lafayette is a tween genius who wants to change the world, who has the superhero gene but doesn’t want these superpowers which she can get through the (omnipresent Marvel) Terigen Mist so she needs an Omni-Wave Projector to supposedly prevent this, but guess what gets teleported from the past but a Red T Rex (Red? Come on, Stan!) which Lunella teams up with, which makes school an issue, natch, but on top of that The Killer-Folk savages also travel to NYC to destr ...more
Peter Derk
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yay! Representation!

#Science

#ScienceisUhmazing

#DiversityInComics

...

Have I gone far enough down that people can skip this review? The actual text?

Is it safe to post this as a summary of the book?
description

Truth be told this is not a 5-star book for me. But I recently learned a lesson about being a white dude who has feelings about comics that feature characters who are not white dudes. And that lesson is: don't.

Well, I SORTA learned my lesson. I now hide my feelings behind a 5-star rating and hashtags, wri
Rick
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
There are alot of comics out there these days that are dark & gloomy, dystopian really. The world is a scary, screwed up place. Yeah, we know that; thanks for the reminder. But this comic, Moon Girl ad Devil Dinosaur, isn't like that. This is a fun-filled, crazy ride through wish-fulfilling fantasy. Sure it's laughable and silly, but it's got a heart as big as ... The moon (or a giant red Devil Dinosaur take your pick).
Devil Dinosaur was never Jack Kirby's greatest creation (although I'm su
Shannon
Individual issue reviews: #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6

Total review score: 2.67

What started out as a cute concept with a little girl and her dinosaur, turned into an absurdly illogical story with a main character that became more annoying with each additional issue.

I do want to know what'll happen in the next issue because they decided to play dirty and end with a huge cliffhanger.

I see what you did there, Marvel!

*shakes fist*
Scarlet Cameo
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rc-17
Ok, I like Lunella and sometimes just want to say to her "shut up and listen" but that's not the correct way to go...but, overall, I want to know what the hell happen to her!!!!

I understand that she's not appealing for everyone, but I was kind of the freak at my school, so yeah! at some point, I an't relate to her and for me, is a likely character. tha part I did not enjoy is that Marvel try to put his famous characters in every new series to help the new character to "bright" a little.
Chelsea
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book!!!

Okay, I'll preface this by saying I was (and still am, not gonna lie) a huge science nerd as a kid so this is really amazing! A young, black, female scientist who's being considered the smartest character in the Marvel universe. I adore Lunella Lafayette.

This is such a cute book! The art is perfect! The relationship between Lunella and Devil Dinosaur is so cute! He's so protective over her and she goes from being annoyed with him ruining her plans to befriending him, as wel
Damon
Nov 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
It is a waste of time reading this. You could be reading something good. There are so many good comics out there- don't be distracted by money making garbage.
Bogi Takács
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016-1st-pub
I was really troubled by this book in multiple ways. The art is truly wonderful! I thought the story was deeply problematic, and a good example of Marvel trying to introduce diversity by having white, majority writers tackle "diverse topics", instead of hiring diverse writers.

From the moment I saw the back cover, I was worried: "Lunella Lafayette is an INHUMAN PRETEEN GENIUS who wants to change the world!" (Emphasis not mine.) I am a Marvel reader, so I know Inhumans are an in-universe group, si
Jackie
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uni-reads
this was my favourite comic out of all the ones i've read so far!

i loved Lunella as a protagonist because she was so fierce and strong, she believed in herself and her abilities and didn't let people speak down on her even though she's only 9 (??) years old. i also think she's adorable and I LOVE that little kids, especially black girls, look up to her and dress up as Moon Girl for Halloween and Comic Con and stuff, it makes my heart so happy :')

i also liked the pacing. usually comics or graphi
Chris Lemmerman
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
[Read as single issues]

Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur is probably the most adorable book you're not reading. Introducing Lunella Lafayette, a little girl with a huge brain, and a huge red dinosaur to boot, the character you're going to fall in love with the second you read this series.

Lunella knows she's an Inhuman, and she wants nothing to do with it. She's already weird, what with being super smart, and no one around her understands. And she thinks she can stop herself changing if she can get
Stewart Tame
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute. I know there used to be a Moon Boy and Devil Dinosaur comic book back in the day--mid to late 70's, specifically, a Jack Kirby title, no less. I never read it, but I knew enough to recognize this as a modern take on the concept. Turns out, it's something of a continuation of that title. Moon Boy himself even puts in an appearance.

So, Lunella Lafayette is a pre-teen genius. Like Tony Stark or Reed Richards level of genius. Her body contains Inhuman DNA, and she fears encountering the Terri
Tar Buendía
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Vamos a ver, esto es precioso.

Desde las dudas de Lunella, su deseo por ser entendida, el impresionante color de Tamra Bonvillain hasta el dibujo PERFECTO de Natacha Bustos.

Tierno, ligero y llega al corazoncito. Me hubiera encantado tener este tebeo de pequeña. Además me encanta el detalle de que la protagonista pueda molar vistiendo así.
Wealhtheow
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked Lunella Lafayette from the very first page, where she's hiding under the covers inventing and then is almost late to school. I love how unapologetically intelligent and confident she is. Her complicated relationship with her parents, troubled interactions with her peers and teachers, and unexpected alliance with Devil Dinosaur all felt realistic and earned. And I loved that even though she's a super genius, her inventions are still clearly made by a kid, like her weaponized bop-it.

The a
Ana Rînceanu
A fun introduction to a smart headstrong girl and a dinosaur.
Travis Duke
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Starts off as a fun story but rapidly becomes a bit annoying and boring. Moon girl is an inhuman waiting for transformation, rather fighting against it, and boy does she fight against it. I wish I was joking but Moon girl is willing to terrorize the city and her parents just to stop herself from becoming a full fledged inhuman. By chance she meets devil dinosaur who is teleported from another time and what better sidekick to cause havoc than a dinosaur. I know my review sounds harsh it is actual ...more
Aaron
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Insanely cute. Highly recommended.

I get a lot of entertainment/irritation out of some reviews. One gave this one star and most of the text is about how Lunella mistakes the scientific meaning of the word "theory". Took the reviewer right out of the story. Not the nine-year-old potential Inhuman fighting a hypersmart caveman street gang alongside a red semi-intelligent dinosaur that time-traveled from the past. That part was totally believable.
Kristina
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
So adorable and cute!

I loved that we have a character who is so young - only 9 years old. But oh boy, is she a fighter! She likes science and making experiments. He gets herself a T-Rex for a friend and he uses his help to acquire an old artefact that's supposed to prevent her from becoming inhuman.

It's such a sweet and epic adventure! I'm definitely interested to see how the story develops.

Recommend :)
Ben
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun little all ages comic with some amazing character designs, brilliant colours and dynamic artwork. It's really good to see more diverse representation in comics, and as a white dude who only got into comics when they stopped being quite so white and masculine, I appreciate this, and can only imagine how much more that feeling must be amplified for anyone non-white and non-male. This could have come off as a token gesture but instead they've given us a main character who's well fleshed-out a ...more
Ran
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Nine-year-old Lunella Lafayette, aka "Moon Girl," just wants to build a Kree detector. She's concerned about exposure to the terrigen mist with her inhuman DNA. She stumbles upon the Nightstone which actually transports a hipster Killer Folk gang and giant red dinosaur to New York city. Everyone keeps getting in Lunella's way - her parents, her teachers, ... basically society. Sometimes it doesn't get better, girlfriend. You could be closer to 30 than 20 and have two master's degrees and yet no ...more
Bookishrealm
This was a cute comic. Not the best as it got jumbled up in several places and lost my interest. But I definitely enjoyed our main character and I really really enjoyed the artwork. I can understand why she was so afraid of the terrigan cloud now and I'm interested in seeing where the author takes this in the next volume.
Josh
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This one is a fun read. It's quirky, lighthearted, and manages an engaging story at the same time. The art fits, and I like a lot of what this volume does. It requires the reader to just kind of go with it a little more than some comics, but the end result is worth it.
Emily
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sweet story. Good thing I'm caught up on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. or I might have been a little lost about the Inhumans and the terrigen mist. (Sorry, Marvel universe, if there was a cooler way I was supposed to get that info)
Fun start to a new series-I'm on board for the next installment!
Karissa
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I picked this graphic novel up at my son's school book fair. While some of the concepts were interesting, I thought this was a pretty mediocre graphic novel overall.

I like the concept behind this book but I couldn’t help feeling it was trying too hard to provide us a politically correct and unique superhero. Lunella just happens to African American, female, and really into science and inventing. Lunella is the kind of heroine I love, but it just seemed like her whole demographic was really pushe
Chad
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Marvel has created a new book for younger readers. It reminds me of Power Pack from the 80's. The writers give the kids a voice that actually sounds like children. Moon Girl's costume looks like something a little girl would design. It's hideous. I'm surprised it's not covered in glitter. She has a ton of gadgets she's designed, most of which don't work. I'm waiting for the Pinchers of Peril to make an appearance. That's the good.

Now for the bad. There's very little story here and what is here i
Chris
Beth Cato
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, graphic-novel
This is a cute story with fantastic artwork about a brilliant misfit girl and a gigantic red dinosaur. It’s whimsical and packs a lot of heart, but the overall story didn't quite grab me as much as Ms. Marvel and Squirrel Girl. Still, thoroughly enjoyable!
Karin
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Cute graphic novel....cliffhanger ending....will need to pick up the next one!
  • Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat!, Volume 1: Hooked On A Feline
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 4: Out of Time
  • Spider-Woman, Volume 2: New Duds
  • Zodiac Starforce Volume 1: By the Power of Astra
  • 1602: Witch Hunter Angela
Amy Reeder is an American comic artist known for her work on titles such as Fool's Gold, Madame Xanadu, and Batwoman.
More about Amy Reeder

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur (Collected Editions) (5 books)
  • Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 2: Cosmic Cooties
  • Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 3: The Smartest There Is
  • Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 4: Girl-Moon
  • Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 5: Fantastic Three

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Tell The Wolves I'm Home
    $12.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Black Bird of the Gallows