Start by marking “Walking in a Winter Wonderland” as Want to Read:
Walking in a Winter Wonderland

Walking in a Winter Wonderland

The classic and beloved winter holiday song "Walking in a Winter Wonderland" is brought to life with bright and colorful illustrations.

Sleigh bells ring, are you listening . . . Tim Hopgood's joyful and colorful illustrations show all the wonders of winter—snowmen and sleigh rides, sweaters and smiles. Follow a family on their walk through snowy scenes. A beautiful and
Published September 13th 2016 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Walking in a Winter Wonderland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walking in a Winter Wonderland

Start your review of Walking in a Winter Wonderland
Sheri
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Before reading this book I hadn't heard Peggy Lee's version of Walking in a Winter Wonderland. The unfamiliar line "In the meadow we can build a snowman. And pretend that he's a Santa clown." just threw me. I had to listen to her version to hear if that is what she actually says. Santa clown, what is that? The picture shows a regular snowman, no Santa hat even. I much prefer the original lyrics as sung by Bing Crosby. The illustrations beautifully depict the winter season and the enjoyment that ...more
Calista
This is the Christmas song illustrated by Tim Hopgood. I have to say that I do enjoy this Christmas song each year. I absolutely love the work that Tim has done with the art. It is stylish and seems to fit the song for me. It captures the mood of winter and Christmas and it somehow reminds me of that special time of year by bringing the art styles of Christmas into this book. Some of the backgrounds look like they were sponge painted. I love this.

The kids read the book with me and we sang the
KC
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is based on the song by Felix Bernard and Richard B Smith and is filled with vivid and vibrant artistic illustrations.
Jamie
Such beautiful illustrations by Tim Hopgood and a great song. However, my unbridled enthusiasm for this book screeched to a halt when I flipped the page to "We'll frolic and play the Eskimo way." Yikes, we can't be singing that at Storytime! Considering that terminology was out-of-fashion and politically incorrect when I was in elementary school (25+ years ago), it's hard to believe this still flies in a modern children's book. While I can appreciate the lyrics are verbatim from the 1960s Peggy ...more
Barbara
One of my favorite seasonal songs celebrating winter is featured here, accompanied by expressive collage illustrations that were created using pencil, calligraphy ink, wax crayon, and chalk pastel. The images feature a family venturing out into a winter wonderland and marveling at Nature's beauty while animals look on. By the end of the day after all that activity, including riding on a sled and building a snowman, of course, the family is exhausted. Still, they manage to savor those wonderful ...more
Ina
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This wonderfully illustrated book captures the joy and beauty of Winter perfectly. The text, lyrics to the song "Walking in a Winter Wonderland" makes for a bouncy singable storytime. An awesome way to share all of the magic and enchantment of a Winter afternoon/evening with your storytime audience...or any child.
Andrea
Feb 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Jillian
Oct 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Pretty illustrations to go with the classic song.

I understand changing the lyrics about pretending the snowman is going to marry the singer(s), but I don't understand why the change from "circus clown" to "Santa clown." It doesn't make sense (what on earth is a Santa clown??), but also makes a Winter song into an explicitly Christmas song.
Jess El-Zeftawy
It is impossible to read this without singing it. The illustrations are stunning. This is a winter bedtime favorite for my 3 yo.
Heather
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Cheryl
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Nice try. But what is going on with the wedge-shaped mouths? And if we're going to change 'circus clown' to the lame 'Santa clown' (who does not look like Santa or even like St. Nick), let's get rid of that ugly word 'Eskimo' while we're at it. Not a horrible book, but not recommended.

Thank you to Little Free Libraries for introducing me to books I'd not have seen otherwise.
Polly
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
Ugh, big fail for using the Peggy Lee version that uses the word "Eskimo". Can't use that in story time in Canada.
Gabrielle Stoller
This book is exactly what it seems like--it is a rendition of the song "Walking in a Winter Wonderland." Yes. When I read the book, I sing it. Every. Single. Time. Which isn't a bad thing--singing is actually one of the five early literacy practices. Singing helps break down words =)

My only wish is that every time I did the book, I would have done it with kids who were super familiar with the song. What great fun it would be to have others singing along with me as opposed to just myself.

The
Julie
Very colorful collaged illustrations in pencil, calligraphy ink, wax crayon, and chalk pastel. Many are familiar with the famous lyrics, but the sweet pictures of a family having fun in the snow, surrounded by birds and forest animals, will add new meaning. The illustrator, Tim Hopgood, also did a book based on Louis Armstrong's interpretation of the song "What a Wonderful World."
Amy Lafleur Meyers
Song lyric picture books can be hit or miss but this one is one NOT to be missed. Brightly colored illustrations complement the lyrics to "Walking in a Winterland" while a family enjoys the winter outdoors. I loved the illustrations. The mixed media techniques that Tim Hopgood uses really make it feel like a snowy winter scene. His combination of pastel, crayon, and computer editing really makes gives the snow a flaky appearance in the sky and on the ground. Definitely a feel good book that ...more
Colette
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
At first it was off putting as the lyrics are a bit different from those in the original version, though they stay true to Peggy Lee's lyrics. They exchange Parson Brown for Santa Clause and there is no mention of love in this version, but the artwork in this beautiful book are wonderful. It would be great to show with the YouTube of Peggy Lee singing in the background. Great laptop read to young children as well.
Erica
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Illustrations matched up very well to this popular song. I especially love the author's note at the end on his interpretation of the song and why he wanted to create this book. I don't think I have ever really stopped to think about what the words of the song really meant. I won't tell you here, because if you didn't read that note it's worth taking a moment to do so.
Alice
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Whatever happened to the verse..In the meadow we can build a snowman, and pretend he is Parson Brown..."???
Mary
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Text is changed (from what is usually heard on the radio) to be more child-friendly and not romantic. Beautiful illustrations.
Jennifer Kelley
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful illustrations bring life to the song. The kids seemed to enjoy it, and I look forward to sharing this with some senior citizens.
Allison
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
All 4 stars are for the illustrations which are a fantastic match for the song. I prefer the traditional lyrics with Parson Brown and Conspiring by the fire not version adapted for Peggy Lee.
Andi
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bright and colorful illustrations paired with a tried and true winter song make this picture book into more of an activity! Singing with your kid is the best
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm not the biggest fan of picture books that are song lyrics but this one is beautiful! Can't wait til Christmas.
Jade
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbs
Walking in a Winter Wonderland is a gorgeous picture book based on the lyrics of the well known song of the same name. On each page there is a line of lyrics with beautiful pictures of woodland creatures and snowy scenes the family discover on the way through the forest on a snow day. I like how some of the lyrics to the song were changed to make it easier for children to understand and it meant it was a bit more of a story to follow which is perfect for the younger children who may not have ...more
Ben Truong
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Walking in a Winter Wonderland is a children's picture book of the song of the same name co-written by Felix Bernard and Richard B. Smith and illustrated by Tim Hopgood. It is a visual interpretation of a classic holiday song as sung by Peggy Lee.

The text is rather simplistic, straightforward, and lyrical. Quite simply, the prose is the lyrics of the song, first written by Felix Bernard and Richard B. Smith. A CD of the song sung by Peggy Lee was added to the book. Hopgood used a variety of
Tori
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A picture book version of the song by the same name (lightly edited so it's less romantic).
Wow! This was my first time seeing Tim Hopgood's illustrations and I LOVE them. Such a gorgeous, colorful art style. I will definitely read more of his works.
Used this book for winter/snow themed storytime. Sang it to the kids while they played along with bells and shakers. They really liked it. Sang it straight through then flipped through it again after so we could talk about the pictures. A successful
JR ♥️’s 📚 ☕️
I love singing the song, so enjoyed the book, it’s very colorful! The reason I didn’t rate it higher is because the images could’ve been more creative. Essentially it was basic images as the songs state. People just walking..

The the tricky thing with children’s books, the art work is just as important as the story.
A Allen
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations are beautiful as always. I especially like the foxes featured throughout. Unfortunately, these aren't my favorite holiday or winter lyrics. I wish there were more Tim Hopgood winter holiday books to choose from.
Vivian
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
What fun to sing this wonderfully illustrated version of the well-known winter song.
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Some illustrations were so lovely I wanted to tear them out and frame them . . . and others had people in them.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Singing in the Rain
  • Snowmen at Night
  • Winter Dance
  • The Pigeon Has to Go to School
  • Winter Is Here
  • Saturday
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Why?
  • The Stuff of Stars
  • Tough Cookie: A Christmas Story
  • Stick Man
  • All Are Welcome
  • Do Super Heroes Have Teddy Bears?