Jump to ratings and reviews

Walking in a Winter Wonderland

The classic and beloved winter holiday song "Walking in a Winter Wonderland" is brought to life with bright and colorful illustrations.

Sleigh bells ring, are you listening . . . Tim Hopgood's joyful and colorful illustrations show all the wonders of winter—snowmen and sleigh rides, sweaters and smiles. Follow a family on their walk through snowy scenes. A beautiful and festive celebration of the season—perfect for sharing!

32 pages, Hardcover

First published September 13, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 81 reviews
Profile Image for Sheri.
1,090 reviews34 followers
April 29, 2022
Before reading this book, I hadn't heard Peggy Lee's version of Walking in a Winter Wonderland. The unfamiliar line "In the meadow we can build a snowman. And pretend that he's a Santa clown." just threw me. I had to listen to her version to hear if that is what she actually says. Santa clown, what is that? The picture shows a regular snowman, no Santa hat even. I much prefer the original lyrics as sung by Bing Crosby. The illustrations beautifully depict the winter season and the enjoyment that can be had in pristine new fallen snow.
Profile Image for Calista.
3,792 reviews31.2k followers
December 18, 2019
This is the Christmas song illustrated by Tim Hopgood. I have to say that I do enjoy this Christmas song each year. I absolutely love the work that Tim has done with the art. It is stylish and seems to fit the song for me. It captures the mood of winter and Christmas and it somehow reminds me of that special time of year by bringing the art styles of Christmas into this book. Some of the backgrounds look like they were sponge painted. I love this.

The kids read the book with me and we sang the song as we read it. It was a lot of fun again to have the family together singing a book. The nephew loves music and singing. He gave this book 4 stars. The niece thought the artwork was very good, too. She also gave this 4 stars. The niece still loves to sing too.

I need to find more Tim Hopgood books.
Profile Image for Jamie.
97 reviews8 followers
December 4, 2017
Such beautiful illustrations by Tim Hopgood and a great song. However, my unbridled enthusiasm for this book screeched to a halt when I flipped the page to "We'll frolic and play the Eskimo way." Yikes, we can't be singing that at Storytime! Considering that terminology was out-of-fashion and politically incorrect when I was in elementary school (25+ years ago), it's hard to believe this still flies in a modern children's book. While I can appreciate the lyrics are verbatim from the 1960s Peggy Lee version for which the author and others have a nostalgic fondness, surely we can update this for the 21st century. Take a cue from Diana Krall who sings "we'll frolic and play the Canadian way" or maybe Inuktitut artist Beatrice Deer's "we'll frolic and play the Inuit way."
Profile Image for KC.
2,379 reviews
December 19, 2016
This book is based on the song by Felix Bernard and Richard B Smith and is filled with vivid and vibrant artistic illustrations.
Profile Image for Laura.
32 reviews
December 1, 2020
My daughter loves books and listening to mommy sing, so I knew this book would be a hit! The illustrations are gorgeous. The text is just Winter Wonderland -- but, as mentioned in other reviews, what's with the "Santa clown"? Never heard that before, and it threw me off. Still an enjoyable and fun seasonal read with the little one.
Profile Image for Barbara.
12.9k reviews264 followers
April 22, 2017
One of my favorite seasonal songs celebrating winter is featured here, accompanied by expressive collage illustrations that were created using pencil, calligraphy ink, wax crayon, and chalk pastel. The images feature a family venturing out into a winter wonderland and marveling at Nature's beauty while animals look on. By the end of the day after all that activity, including riding on a sled and building a snowman, of course, the family is exhausted. Still, they manage to savor those wonderful memories of a day spent together in the great outdoors. The images really capture the essence of the lyrics although I've always associated the song with a budding romance.
Profile Image for Ina.
1,194 reviews11 followers
January 30, 2019
This wonderfully illustrated book captures the joy and beauty of Winter perfectly. The text, lyrics to the song "Walking in a Winter Wonderland" makes for a bouncy singable storytime. An awesome way to share all of the magic and enchantment of a Winter afternoon/evening with your storytime audience...or any child.
Profile Image for Heidi Burkhart.
1,967 reviews28 followers
December 22, 2020
An old classic holiday song which is familiar to most people in the US now made into a children's picture book. A few words have been changed to make it more PC. The illustrations are delightful, and my grandchildren enjoyed singing along through the book.
Profile Image for Andrea.
969 reviews11 followers
February 22, 2019
I could tell just by looking at the cover that the illustrations were going to be pretty, and they were. They were the best part about the book. I could have just sat looking at them for a while.

The inside covers have black backgrounds with big white snowflakes in different designs, music notes and birds with red snowflakes on them. Really cool. There are so many pretty details I admired, too many of them to describe. There were so many pretty color combinations. The first 2 pages have this snowy field with two gray deer in the foreground, with these snowflakes in different shades of blue and colorful music notes. There’s an old bearded man riding in a red sleigh, covered in a patchwork quilt of different colors.

There are pages with woods with different colors, and silhouettes of deer in the trees. The bright colors of the family’s clothes really pop against the white backgrounds. There are orange foxes and deer that stand out. There are 2 pages with this beautiful shade of blue as the background, with this big white tree taking up one page, and white music notes and snowflakes all over it. Stunning!

A page featured small evergreen trees in the background, had this design where there was a cone-shaped blob of color and little strokes of paint to resemble the branches. There were purple blobs with gray splotches of color for the branches and they were really pretty.

They’re a work of art, every page could be taken and put up on a wall to stare out; they are that pretty.

The writing is just the song “Walking in a Winter Wonderland” which I didn’t expect until I opened the book and read the summary. And then it switched at some point and branched off from the classic lyrics and it threw me. I did a double-take and was trying to remember what the lyrics were supposed to be.

“In the meadow, we can build a snowman. And pretend that he’s a Santa clown.
Till the other kiddies knock him down.”

I guess she changed the lyrics because she thought the original ones wouldn’t hold up to the time. They said circus clown and I couldn’t understand why it was changed to Santa clown. What is a Santa clown? Either it’s Santa or a clown. It can’t be both. At least a circus clown is a real thing.

I actually didn’t know the original mentioned anything about building a snowman and pretending it was a circus clown, and kids knocking it down, until I looked it up. And the new lyrics threw off the rhythm of the singing because it didn’t have the right # of syllables that the original had. And then 7 pages later it repeated the snowman lyrics all over again and it was really redundant and too soon.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Jillian.
2,524 reviews23 followers
October 28, 2016
Pretty illustrations to go with the classic song.

I understand changing the lyrics about pretending the snowman is going to marry the singer(s), but I don't understand why the change from "circus clown" to "Santa clown." It doesn't make sense (what on earth is a Santa clown??), but also makes a Winter song into an explicitly Christmas song.
Profile Image for Heather.
858 reviews
February 26, 2019
When I first saw this online, I thought it was just a cute winter book. I didn’t know it was based off the lyrics to the song Walking in a Winter Wonderland.

The lyrics were a little different from how I remember them, but that’s the case in a lot of old Christmas songs. Sometimes I’m not sure what they’re actually saying, and I just sing something that sounds close.

I don't remember the song saying Santa Clown. ‘In the meadow, we can build a snowman. And pretend that he’s a Santa clown.’

I also didn't know the word 'kiddie' was used. ‘We’ll have lots of fun with Mister Snowman. Till the other kiddies knock him down.’

The lines ‘when it snows, ain’t it thrilling? Though your nose gets a chilling’ were totally unfamiliar to me.

I didn’t know this line: ‘walking and we were talking…While we were walking in a winter wonderland.’

It makes me wonder if this was a different version. I kept waiting for the line 'We'll pretend that he is Parson Brown' and it never came. I wondered if I was thinking of a totally different song.
I looked up walking in a winter wonderland lyrics and got the Michael Buble/Rod Stewart version and that's what I was remembering. I wonder why the author left out those lyrics, or if the version she used doesn't have the same lyrics.

The illustrations were different, something I’d never seen before. Modern, abstract, sort of cartoonish. A delight to look at.
I love the colors used in here, the blues, greens, and grays used for the pine trees, the blue, white, and pink snow. I really liked the page with the owls, and the bright blue page with the white tree and rabbits, and the forest scenes.
My favorite parts were the snowflakes and pine trees in here. The pine trees were done like the ones I saw in a book recently about Groundhogs Day. There's a blob of color roughly in the shape of a tree, and then there's painted lines to be the branches.
The inside covers were even decorated, and I loved the abstract snowflakes used there. The title page was really pretty also, with a light green color, a big blue snowflake and white snowflakes falling from the top.
The last page is a forest at nighttime, with a deer and yellow moon, dark green trees and white snowflakes.
I'd love to see other books the illustrator has done. This is the future of children's books right here.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Cheryl .
8,917 reviews391 followers
June 13, 2019
Nice try. But what is going on with the wedge-shaped mouths? And if we're going to change 'circus clown' to the lame 'Santa clown' (who does not look like Santa or even like St. Nick), let's get rid of that ugly word 'Eskimo' while we're at it. Not a horrible book, but not recommended.

Thank you to Little Free Libraries for introducing me to books I'd not have seen otherwise.
23 reviews
December 21, 2022
We really enjoyed the illustrations in this one! My favorite was the tree made of snowflakes and music notes. We had fun pointing out the different animals throughout the book. Since we'd never heard the version sung by Peggy Lee, we listened to it after reading the book. While we all prefer the original version, it was fun to listen to a different style.
Profile Image for Gabrielle Stoller.
1,274 reviews22 followers
January 4, 2019
This book is exactly what it seems like--it is a rendition of the song "Walking in a Winter Wonderland." Yes. When I read the book, I sing it. Every. Single. Time. Which isn't a bad thing--singing is actually one of the five early literacy practices. Singing helps break down words =)

My only wish is that every time I did the book, I would have done it with kids who were super familiar with the song. What great fun it would be to have others singing along with me as opposed to just myself.

The illustrations are quite fun as well. Music lovers will delight in the music notes throughout.
Profile Image for Julie.
1,076 reviews
January 3, 2019
Very colorful collaged illustrations in pencil, calligraphy ink, wax crayon, and chalk pastel. Many are familiar with the famous lyrics, but the sweet pictures of a family having fun in the snow, surrounded by birds and forest animals, will add new meaning. The illustrator, Tim Hopgood, also did a book based on Louis Armstrong's interpretation of the song "What a Wonderful World."
Profile Image for Amy Lafleur Meyers.
1,022 reviews12 followers
January 30, 2021
Song lyric picture books can be hit or miss but this one is one NOT to be missed. Brightly colored illustrations complement the lyrics to "Walking in a Winterland" while a family enjoys the winter outdoors. I loved the illustrations. The mixed media techniques that Tim Hopgood uses really make it feel like a snowy winter scene. His combination of pastel, crayon, and computer editing really makes gives the snow a flaky appearance in the sky and on the ground. Definitely a feel good book that helps to bring the holiday season to life.
Profile Image for Colette.
900 reviews
November 1, 2017
At first it was off putting as the lyrics are a bit different from those in the original version, though they stay true to Peggy Lee's lyrics. They exchange Parson Brown for Santa Clause and there is no mention of love in this version, but the artwork in this beautiful book are wonderful. It would be great to show with the YouTube of Peggy Lee singing in the background. Great laptop read to young children as well.
Profile Image for Erica.
275 reviews1 follower
December 10, 2016
Illustrations matched up very well to this popular song. I especially love the author's note at the end on his interpretation of the song and why he wanted to create this book. I don't think I have ever really stopped to think about what the words of the song really meant. I won't tell you here, because if you didn't read that note it's worth taking a moment to do so.
Profile Image for Jennifer.
1,301 reviews18 followers
September 23, 2016
I'm not the biggest fan of picture books that are song lyrics but this one is beautiful! Can't wait til Christmas.
Profile Image for Andi Butler.
201 reviews
October 17, 2016
Bright and colorful illustrations paired with a tried and true winter song make this picture book into more of an activity! Singing with your kid is the best
709 reviews9 followers
December 2, 2016
Beautiful illustrations bring life to the song. The kids seemed to enjoy it, and I look forward to sharing this with some senior citizens.
Profile Image for Allison.
752 reviews27 followers
December 30, 2016
All 4 stars are for the illustrations which are a fantastic match for the song. I prefer the traditional lyrics with Parson Brown and Conspiring by the fire not version adapted for Peggy Lee.
Profile Image for Alice.
3,129 reviews1 follower
February 6, 2017
Whatever happened to the verse..In the meadow we can build a snowman, and pretend he is Parson Brown..."???
Profile Image for Mary.
1,241 reviews10 followers
March 14, 2017
Text is changed (from what is usually heard on the radio) to be more child-friendly and not romantic. Beautiful illustrations.
Profile Image for Mrs. Walker Reads.
59 reviews1 follower
March 26, 2021
The illustrations in this book are stunning. They are eye-catching, bold, vibrant and unique! Based on the classic song, the illustrations by Tim Hopgood celebrate the wonder of winter. The drawings in this book were created using pencil, calligraphy ink, wax crayons and chalk pastel and they are not to be missed! It would be great to see what creative projects could inspire people of all ages from just one look at these gorgeous pages.

Walking in a Winter Wonderland is a fun book to read and sing-a-long! I love books based on popular lyrics as it quickly becomes a choral reading as it welcomes others to join in! As well, with focusing on reading and singing the lyrics, I always discover that I was singing some of the lyrics incorrectly! No surprise to the people that know me well...

“In the meadow, we can build a snowman. And pretend that he’s a Santa clown”... I did not know it was Santa Clown! I won’t admit what I have been singing all of these years... ha!

I hope you get the chance to read, sing and have some winter fun with this beautiful book!

Walking in a Winter Wonderland is based on the song by Felix Bernard and Richard B. Smith. As sung by Peggy Lee. Illustrated by Tim Hopgood @timhopgood. Published by Henry Holt and Company @henryholtbooks.
651 reviews
November 17, 2018
Walking in a Winter Wonderland is a gorgeous picture book based on the lyrics of the well known song of the same name. On each page there is a line of lyrics with beautiful pictures of woodland creatures and snowy scenes the family discover on the way through the forest on a snow day. I like how some of the lyrics to the song were changed to make it easier for children to understand and it meant it was a bit more of a story to follow which is perfect for the younger children who may not have heard the song before. The illustrations are fantastic and the children enjoy seeing the snowy scenes and find it magical to look at, especially as they are scenes we very rarely get where we are and many of them haven't seen snow before. The characters in this book are very rarely mentioned as they're not really part of the song but it is lovely to follow them throughout the book on their journey through the woods and see how they react to the new places and things they discover. The children enjoy being read this book and although we don't get it out as often as books with more of a story they love learning and singing along to the song from the CD which is a great addition to the book.
5,870 reviews131 followers
December 8, 2019
Walking in a Winter Wonderland is a children's picture book of the song of the same name co-written by Felix Bernard and Richard B. Smith and illustrated by Tim Hopgood. It is a visual interpretation of a classic holiday song as sung by Peggy Lee.

The text is rather simplistic, straightforward, and lyrical. Quite simply, the prose is the lyrics of the song, first written by Felix Bernard and Richard B. Smith. A CD of the song sung by Peggy Lee was added to the book. Hopgood used a variety of media including pencil, crayon, and pastel capture the sheer wonder of winter.

The premise of the book is rather straightforward. A family outfitted in jackets, hats, mittens, and scarves, is taking a hike through a snowy forest, accompanied by deer, foxes, birds, and rabbits, with the song dancing through the air – a winter wonderland.

All in all, Walking in a Winter Wonderland is a wonderful picture book that captures the spirit of the song of the same name book form.
January 18, 2020
I love singing the song, so enjoyed the book, it’s very colorful! The reason I didn’t rate it higher is because the images could’ve been more creative. Essentially it was basic images as the songs state. People just walking..

The the tricky thing with children’s books, the art work is just as important as the story.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 81 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.