Start by marking “Write This Down” as Want to Read:
Write This Down

Write This Down

Twelve-year-old Autumn loves to write. She finds inspiration all around her, especially in Cameron, the dreamy boy in her journalism class who she has a major crush on. Then her older brother, Hunter, who used to watch out for her but has grown distant since he started high school, reads one of her poems about Cameron to Cameron's older brother. They make fun of it and she ...more
Published September 27th 2016 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published September 26th 2016)

Vicki
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet story that builds beautifully. Autumn seems like a pretty privileged kid, raised by two well intentioned parents. Not much conflict there, it would seem, and yet the conflicts grow slowly and steadily. Autumn's older brother has turned into a mean, volatile teenager, Autumn is a writer going through some craft growing pains. It all pays off really well, and it's nice to watch this girl grow up a little bit.
Reina Tan
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-fav
⚠ subjective opinion || 4.5⭐
° ° °

Opening words: I LOVE THIS BOOK

I picked Write this Down on Bid Bad Wolf Indonesia because of impulsive. I bought it with my beloved twin sister but different ages also parents, Ci Olive. We planned to read it together and we finished today. We love this book so much.

I have so many reasons why I love this book that much!

I love the family theme. Mills wrote the strongest family story in middle grade books that I've ever read. How broken parents when their chil
Kate Simpson
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just loved Write This Down, by Claudia Mills. Twelve year old Autumn is spunky and adorable. She wants to be recognized as a famous writer. She wants her relationship with her older brother to stay the way it was before he jumped ahead to being a teenager. And she wants the cute boy who sits next to her in class to think she's a special as she thinks he is. Claudia captures the enthusiasm and dreaminess of being 12, the power of a great best friend, and the difficulty we all face when a dream ...more
Booklo
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this so much and I am so glad that it was the relationships between siblings and not love relationships! I loved Autumn and Kylee but as well as Hunter, he did made some mistakes throughout the book but I knew he could turn it around! This book taught me to follow your passion and to never give up. But, at the end, I learned that I liked books about family relationships better than love relationships. Anyways, this was such an amazing book!
Jennybug
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book a lot. It would be a really good book for kids to read to help them discuss feelings they are having in their family. There were quite a few quotes I really liked in this book.

Pg 1 "Please don't annoy the writer. She may put you in a book and kill you."

Pg 25 "What do modern poets have against rhyme? It gives a poem structure. It delights the ear. Robert Frost, who wrote that famous poem about stopping by the woods on a snowy evening, said writing poems without rhyme is l
Carro Herdegen
May 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kiss-the-book
Language – PG (3 swear, 0 “f”), Mature Content – G; Violence – G; Nothing is going right for Autumn anymore: her brother, Hunter, was the best brother ever a few months ago, but is now unkind at every turn; her dream of becoming a writer was no question, until she sent in some of her work and started receiving rejection after rejection; and her secret crush may now know that she’s in love with him. With problems like these, what is a twelve-year-old to do?
As I was reading, I felt connected to Au
Jtimko
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Autumn is an aspiring writer. She pens poems to her classmate Cameron on whom she has a crush. But when her brother Hunter reads one of her poems to his band (one of the members is Cameron’s brother), disaster occurs. Autumn vows revenge and enters a writing contest to retaliate. She wins but must decide if the revenge is worth exposing family secrets that are better kept hidden.
Claudia Mills has done an excellent job exploring the changes that occur in the middle and high school societies. Th
Maura
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it
In this middle grades book about an aspiring writer, I found the most interesting and worthy plotline in the story of her older brother, a lackluster student with a passion for music who had morphed from a happy-go-lucky screwup into a hostile, mean older brother to the protagonist, Autumn. I was less interested in Autumn herself and even less interested in the fiction she described writing, but I found the depiction of her brother's hostility to be pitch perfect, especially in the thin veneer o ...more
Katy
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars. I ended up liking this book better than I thought I would. The protagonist has a voice that, while realistic of a girl her age, just annoyed me and made me keep putting the book down. Once I finally got about a quarter of the way into the book, it was easier to pick up and read in larger segments. Despite my dislike of the the character's voice and how she feels she's deserving of being the best and winning everything, I do think the book has a good message about there being more to ...more
Merrilyn Tucker
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Richelle
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Jeni
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a great book. Very relatable to preteens. The struggles the main character faces are very understandable and, besides her best friend, everyone in the book is realistically flawed. (Sidenote: I don't think it should have been chosen for the 2018-19 Charlie May Simon nominee books. It's better for 6th and up. Nor will it be appealing to both girls and boys.)
Athena Condray
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful book it was a very relatable book I feel if you have siblings (which I don’t) but it gave me more of a view of siblings and what it is like to have an older sibling... She makes me understand the struggles of writing stories because my dream is to be an author and she shows to never give up your dreams. Good for all ages!
Stacy
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
First of my 10 possible RC pics for 2020. Loved it. Great story about a seventh grade girl who is feeling disconnected with her brother, now is high school, who is dealing with his own personal issues. Autumn loves writing and finds comfort in it, but she also needs and wants readers who will love and appreciate her writing. Very realistic, plus some good writing advice!
Emily
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.6 stars? I always like Claudia Mills for the old-school family + friendships middle-grade low-grade drama. This one gets almost too cringey sometimes, being about a 12-year-old aspiring writer who's working on developing self-awareness but is painfully not quite there yet. But it's nice, in the end, to watch her grow.
Kelly
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book begins so boring and stale but hang in there and keep reading! It has really good ending! Too bad the author didn’t listen to her own advice about starting a novel and create a better beginning.
Lauren
May 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Eh. Didn't care for it. The protagonist was irritating, I found the emotions in the book very hard to believe, and in the end, I didn't quite care what happened to anyone. I was looking forward to this one but it just wasn't what I thought it would be.
Joan
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bifocal, children
Great old fashioned story about love and family and pursuing your life's dreams. Brothers and sisters may argue and hurt each other deeper than anyone can, but in the end they are family and family comes first.
It's always good to hear from Claudia Mills who gave us Gus and Grandpa.
Britt
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
I wish a book about a young writer (was me!) who has a weird relationship with her drummer brother (also was me!!) wasn’t tarnished by slut shaming and fat shaming and subtle racism, oh my!
Bummer. Really. Cause it was otherwise pretty good.
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Victoria Kimble
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
The main character is someone you want to root for. Mills captured the voice of the adolescent girl perfectly.
Kei (breadcoffeebooks)
I love how I'm reminded of my 12-year old self. Very cute book!
E.
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm diving into MG for the first time in years and I'm not sure where to start. The voice for this book was spot on for the age and content but just not for me.
Mia
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ada
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is an amazing book like I loved it so much it is so fun and I am glade I read it.

Renee
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked this book but it seemed more like a book for middle school and wasn't for the elementary level I was looking for. (boy-crazy main character)
Rondi
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful voice!
Lucy K.
Nov 29, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was ok but there wasn't very much action. I found it a bit boring but I liked how the characters were described and I liked the main character.
Lillian
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Brittany Stanzel
I could relate to it because I also love to write. This book was very good, and I really liked it.
Emily Baker
  • 11 Before 12
  • Holly Farb and the Princess of the Galaxy
  • Blooming at the Texas Sunrise Motel
  • The Friendship Riddle
  • Big & Little Questions (According to Wren Jo Byrd)
  • From You to Me
  • Diary of a Parent Trainer
  • Ninja! Attack of the Clan
  • Genie Wishes
  • Olivia Bean, Trivia Queen
  • Addie Bell’s Shortcut to Growing Up
  • One Busy Day: A Story for Big Brothers and Sisters
  • Secrets from the Sleeping Bag (Blogtastic!, #3)
Claudia Mills is the author of How Oliver Olson Changed the World, 7 x 9 = Trouble!, Being Teddy Roosevelt, and many other books for children. She was born in New York City in 1954. She received her bachelor's degree from Wellesley College, her master's degree from Princeton University, and a Ph.D. in philosophy from Princeton University. She also received an M.L.S. degree from the University of M ...more
“Here's the best thing about being a writer: it's like having a magic wand to make whatever you want happen to imaginary people in a made-up world.

Here's the worst thing about being a writer: it makes you wish even more that you had a magic wand to make whatever you want happen to actual people in your own real life" -Autumn”
1 likes
“There's a kind of terrible stress that makes you eat three pieces of coconut cake, but there's an even more terrible kind of stress where you can't bear the thought of eating anything at all" -Autumn” 1 likes