Start by marking “Nemesis (Nemesis #1)” as Want to Read:
Nemesis (Nemesis #1)

Nemesis

(Nemesis #1)

Princess Sepora of Serubel is the last Forger in all the five kingdoms. The spectorium she creates provides energy for all, but now her father has found a way to weaponize it, and his intentions to incite war force her to flee his grasp. She escapes across enemy lines into the kingdom of Theoria, but her plans to hide are thwarted when she is captured and placed in the you ...more
Published October 4th 2016 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Nemesis, please sign up.
Maya Rose The Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah M. Mass (the second in The Court of Rose and Thorns.)

Start your review of Nemesis (Nemesis #1)
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies

I really, really wish the main character's name was not Sepora, because all I could think about in my head is heaven on earth, that wondrous emporium of vanity that is the Sephora chain. But "wondrous emporium of vanity" isn't too far off from the contents of this book, since it seems to be obsessed with the beauty of its main character, and the reputation (completely unfounded) of said character's intelligence.
“You’ve quite the reputation here at the Lyceum. Master Saen chatters on about how
rachel ☾
Dec 30, 2015 marked it as zzzz
Shelves: fantasy
is it just me or is that cover hideous?
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
First off I have to say the cover of this book is beautiful! It's what pulled me in right away. Although, Sepora and others in the book paint their skin whenever something special is going on, she does have beautiful silver eyes. And the reason for this is because she is a Forger of Spectorium.

Spectorium is a beautiful, silvery substance that can be used to make many things and in reading the book, to help with plagues. But, there is also evilness that can be used with it and since Sepora's fat
Ben Alderson
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
wow wow wow.
Such a well paced, interestingly written fantasy. Based around a fantastical version of Egypt with Parna people and snake dragons. I loved it. Such an interesting story and REALLY excited for book two.

I almost wish the cover was different. I don't feel like it well reflects the epic story.
Brittney
Mar 12, 2016 marked it as to-read
Wow, there is an awful lot of hate for a book that isn't even out yet from people that haven't even read it. I will never understand why people feel the need to hate on something without trying it.

1. My first problem with all these "reviewers" right now, is the ones stating they don't like the cover. That isn't Anna Banks's fault. The author, most the time, has no say in the cover. So don't say something horrible about the book based on the cover.

2. The trope. Yes, it is a trope. But there is a
Sajda (Across the Words)
I first read the main character's name as Sephora and now her name will forever remind me of makeup.
Alyssa

Book One of the Nemesis series
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Publication Date: October 4, 2016
Rating: 3 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

The princess didn't expect to fall in love--with her nemesis.

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I fell in love with Anna's debut fantasy series a few years ago and was so excited to see her coming out with a new series and after reading the enticing synopsis and seeing the gorgeous cover, it didn't take much convincing to immediately grab it and read it.

This was a good story. Engaging, entertaining, just the right amount of romance, action, mystery, and an interesting plot line. It wasn't anything unheard of or even unique but that was okay because what it lacked in complete originality i
Fafa's Book Corner
Mini review:

DNF

I received this E-ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I was quite surprised when Netgalley granted my wish for this book. Unfortunately when I started reading it I found it odd. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Still recommend.
Stacee
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016

I have loved all things Anna Banks, so even though I wasn't overly intrigued at the premise of this, I was counting on Anna's words to pull me in. And she didn't disappoint.

I loved Sepora and Tarik. They're both good people in difficult positions and it was enjoyable reading how they worked separately {and then together} to overcome obstacles. As always, Anna's banter is some of the best and I lived for the scenes of the two of them together.

I'll admit that the first third of the sto
Katrin D
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Full review available at: my blog
__________________________________

This was one mediocre book.

It follows an incredibly beautiful princess and an equally incredibly handsome prince/king, who are coming from enemy kingdoms. The princess runs away because she's a special snowflake and is extremely valuable, so her father uses her as a weapon. She wants to avoid that, bla, bla. She runs away and is stupid enough to get caught within 5 minutes of being alone. She's so f*cking pretty, she gets sen
Ronda
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-favourites
That Cover!

When I first seen the cover of this book, I knew (without even reading the synopsis) that I had to read this.... It was definitely love at first sight for me.

Anna Banks is a new author for me and I have to say I love her style of writing, I love the way this book flowed from start to finish and I adored the chapter swapping between Sepora and Tarik. For me, this enticed the emotional roller-coaster, some of these chapters had me torn knowing I had to wait for the next round before
Elle Maruska
Mar 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
Just a note to white writers: the thin veneer of a fantasy world isn't enough to obscure the fact that you modeled your society on an extant non-white society and yet somehow everyone in your world is white.

Telling stories that aren't yours is bad. Telling these stories using only white characters is a thousand times worse.

White writers: please. Take a moment. Ask yourself if your book could possibly be harmful in any way to marginalized communities. Be honest with yourself. Listen to marginal
Lonna | FLYLēF
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
FLYLēF Reviews

Original Post: Nemesis (Nemesis 1) at FLYLēF (www.flylef.com)

❝ IT IS IMPOSSIBLE to make you stay, yet impossible to let you go. Why is that Sepora? ❞ ~Tarik

Who would have thought? Waiting to be discovered just behind this strikingly visceral cover is a futuristic fantasy involving warring kingdoms, the Quiet Plague, and a slow-burn love story. Nemesis, by Anna Banks, is a surprisingly pleasant experience I never saw coming.

I don't generally discuss covers. This one strikes a chord with me be
There seems to be so much hate revolving around this cover and while I definitely did a double take because it is indeed a bit strange, I've decided I kind of think it's pretty. The filigree around her eyes especially.

I have the curious....

Tiffany
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC @ RT in Vegas! :)

A - although the cover doesn't particularly look good in digital form, it is beautiful in person. More importantly it is relevant to the story. This is a YA fantasy book. It is not a dark gritty book about slavery of any form so put your feelings to the side.

B - The title & trope is a little misleading. I see a lot of people listing this will be the reason they don't read this. Just give it a chance.....

C - Anna Banks did an amazing job creating an intricate wo
Iris
This was for the most part a really good book.

The world was amazing! It was very Egyptian, which was really neat! I mean, how many Egyptian inspired fantasy worlds have you read? SO cool! And it was super well developed, and the descriptions were amazing! Seriously, I LOVED this world! The political side of things was fascinating, the cultural side was so interesting, the magic was wonderful, the serpens (cool dragonlike things) were awesome, and the landscape was so vividly described. This was
Brittany (Brittany's Book Rambles)
My reaction to the end of this book:

description

Review to come soon
Jasmina
To be fair, Nemesis isn't as great as the Syrena trilogy or Joyride, but it is very enjoyable despite the plot being basic (you've most certainly read the same thing 4727 times before). The world building was good, characters were good, and although it was written nicely, the beginning was very tiring to read and there was a lot of telling and not much actually happening.
15/7-16
Can't believe I'm almost done waiting. It's been two years.

1/9-14
So the book is about a Serubelan Princess named Se
Weezie
Mar 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
*puts lips on mic* No.
Minni Mouse
I read wavering critiques for this book...but I highly enjoyed it and devoured it in one sitting! It had both the patient pacing and constantly-switching-chapter-points-of-view like The Wrath & the Dawn as well as the detached narrative feel of The Winner's Curse, both of which were among my favorite books. Combine that with an enemies-turned-lovers-hide-your-royal-identity storyline, it's easy to see why Nemesis clicked so well with me.

THE GOOD
1) The pacing of the story was refreshingl
Ashley Owens
Nov 19, 2016 rated it liked it
3 / 5 stars. I was provided with an electronic copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I have to say firstly that this cover is fugly.

Honestly all in all this had a predictable plot, and wasn’t memorable. I read it a month ago and I have already forgotten parts of the plot and some characters’ names. It was hard to get into it because it started out very slow, and while it did eventually pick up, it never really picked up enough for me to truly 100% feel like reading it
Sanji
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Let's get some things straight. One, don't judge a book by its cover, all these people giving Nemesis a low rating or refusing to read it because they don't like the cover. Get over it. It's not blackface. Sepora looks like this, it's part of her identity, a metallic skin tone. Two, there is no love triangle, so don't let the mere fear of there being one dissuade you from reading. Three, maybe the tagline is cheesy (she didn't expect to fall in love with her nemesis) but the story itself is far ...more
Alessandra Crivelli
**YOU CAN READ THE ENTIRE REVIEW ON THE BLOG HERE**

Nemesis is a fantasy that I’ve been forced to read because it went on my Fairyloot box. Thank you, Anissa for doing this.
In the last years, I’m not really into fantasy. I’m more a contemporary reader and honestly, I wasn’t thrilled after reading the plot of this book. It was pretty confusing to me and I remain in that states while I was reading the first chapters but I’m so glad I didn’t put it down.
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed this one! It's not full of the humor I expect from Anna's books but it's rife with steamy romantic tension. I also loved the world building and the magic! A pretty damned good fantasy if I say so myself. I can't wait for book 2!
Stacy
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
NEMESIS kept my attention from front to back and when it was over, I wanted to read more.

I have seen a few other reviews mention that they didn't like the cover from NEMESIS, I am the opposite. It intrigued me from the moment I saw it and was the reason I read the blurb. After reading NEMESIS it makes complete sense as it really represents Princess Sepora. Speaking of Sepora, I LOVED her. She's strong, opinionated, feisty, willing to do the hard things to get what she wants out of life and to h
Aslee
Feb 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
I didn't see this for what it was until it got to the plague part:

It's a blatant whitewashing of Jewish slavery at the hands of Egypt. You've probably heard about it in history class or, even more likely if you're Christian, in Sunday School. If you're Jewish, it's a very important aspect of your religion and heritage-- So, you know, it's not exactly a lesser known historical fact.

There was musical cartoon, for fucks' sake.

....

Is Sepora supposed to be Moses?

Anyway, this is trash. It's racist
Tuba Sayed
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
looovveee
Bee
May 25, 2015 marked it as to-read
Still can't wait to read this but... that cover is a turnoff to me. No no. No.
Vic005
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After some thinking this is more of an 3.5 stars, but it had the luck that I read it on my vacation and these books usually leave a positive impression on my mind.

It did was a very typical YA book, so it might not be for everyone and I understand why some people didn't like it at all.
The idea of the main story is not the most original and it felt a bit like a guilty pleasure read to me.

The chapters are alternately told by the two main characters Sepora and Tarik while her chapters are written i
Owls Be Reading: Will you read with us? 5 20 Jan 02, 2017 12:17PM
Owls Be Reading: Lie to Me...with a Truth 1 8 Jan 01, 2017 05:26PM
Owls Be Reading: Sizzle or Fizzle? 1 9 Jan 01, 2017 05:22PM
Owls Be Reading: Cover Art: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder 1 14 Jan 01, 2017 05:16PM
Owls Be Reading: * Main Discussion Thread! 1 21 Jan 01, 2017 05:10PM
FIERCE READS COLORING BOOK GIVEAWAY! 3 23 Jun 28, 2016 09:00PM

• Amy Chelsea Stacie Dee
  • Ruf der Dunkelheit (Soul Mates #2)
  • Some Quiet Place (The Other Plane, #1)
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
  • Kiss Me Once
  • The Green Door (The Eternal Artifacts #1)
  • Das ewige Feuer (Izara, #1)
  • Exquisite Captive (Dark Caravan Cycle, #1)
  • Flüstern des Lichts (Soul Mates, #1)
  • Das Flüstern der Magie
  • Spiel um dein Schicksal (Night of Crowns, #1)
  • Liebe mich nicht (GötterFunke, #1)
  • Erasing Time (Erasing Time, #1)
  • Der Winter erwacht (Mystral, #1)
  • Frostblood (Frostblood Saga, #1)
  • Caller of Light
  • Verlasse mich nicht! (GötterFunke #3)
  • Wenn der Sommer stirbt (Mystral, #2)
New York Times Bestselling author of The Syrena Legacy series.

Grew up in a town called Niceville. No, seriously. And yes, everyone from Niceville is generally nice.

Let's see, things about me....My writer's cat is a mini wiener dog named Puckdoo. I can't walk in high heels, but I'm amazing at standing still in them. I'm the only person in Florida without a tan. I stole a car when I was 12 years o

Nemesis (2 books)