Start by marking “Tetris: The Games People Play” as Want to Read:
Tetris: The Games People Play

Tetris: The Games People Play

It is, perhaps, the perfect video game. Simple yet addictive, Tetris delivers an irresistible, unending puzzle that has players hooked. Play it long enough and you’ll see those brightly colored geometric shapes everywhere. You’ll see them in your dreams.

Alexey Pajitnov had big ideas about games. In 1984, he created Tetris in his spare time while developing software for the
Published October 11th 2016 by First Second

Wil Wheaton
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
The story of Tetris, its creators, and its complex journey into the West is told in a beautiful graphic novel from Box Brown.

We get to meet all the people involved in the creation and distribution of the legendary game that changed the world and launched the GameBoy, and we get a little history of gaming while we're at it.

The art and color is beautiful. It's similar to Daryn Cooke's Parker books: one color shading the whole book, to great effect.

You think you know the history of Tetris, but I p
Raeleen Lemay
Apr 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I never knew there was so much controversy around the creation of Tetris! An interesting read, if a bit dry at times.
Sam Quixote
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
We’ve all played Tetris and enjoyed its blocky goodness (until the pieces start coming down too quickly and that damn long piece won’t appear and it’s game over, man, GAME OVER!!!). Box Brown’s Tetris: The Games People Play tells its origin story and unfortunately it’s not nearly as fun.

For a book ostensibly about Tetris, it takes it’s sweet time getting around to talking about it! It’s 70 pages before we meet Alexey Pajitnov, the Russian creator of Tetris. Up ‘til then there’s a truncated histo
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
The story over the rights to Tetris is a fantastic example of how video games can open cultural doors - Box Brown has outdone himself!
David Schaafsma
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: gn-non-fict
Full disclosure: I am not a (video) gamer and read this because it was at my library in the new graphic novels section and because it had Box Brown's name on it. I like his sweet attractive artwork and I liked his Andre the Giant quite a bit.

The history of psychology of games and gaming undergird this work, as the subtitle makes clear. And then you learn how Tetris emerged out of this, and lots of controversies about it, which I don't care about in the least, but it seems thorough and will appe
Brandon
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix, non-fiction, 2018
Box Brown came onto my radar when he released his graphic novel treatment about the life of Andre The Giant.  While I’ve yet to read it, the critical acclaim he received for his work at the time made me want to seek out his other writings.  Unfortunately, Box Brown, along with several other things, seemed to have moved to that corner of my mind covered in cobwebs - until this weekend when I spotted his follow-up to the Andre book, Tetris: The Games People Play.

I really enjoyed this, which isn’t
Lauren
Brown tells the fascinating - and litigous - tale of one of the most famous games in history. He begins the book looking at the concept of games/gaming over the millenia, tracing the earliest games and how they were created and played. While this section of the book was very entertaining, I wish it had been a separate book entirely - it was inserted into the story after the Tetris characters were already introduced and seemed out of place and extraneous.

MEMORIES! amirite?

Like most people in my
Peter Derk
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
I'm convinced there's a really interesting story in here, but I got really bogged down in who owned which rights to which versions of Tetris. Alexey, who invented Tetris, seems like a great guy who was willing to give up financial reward to see this great thing he made flourish. That's pretty inspiring. He made this thing that was so good that it HAD to be shared with the world, even if it meant that he wouldn't get rich off it while other people did.

But, as a book, there's just a lot of rights
MariNaomi
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic
Oh my god, I had no idea this story was so nuts!
Robert
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Hard to make corporate licensing battles interesting, but they try.
Sesana
Sep 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, nonfiction
Missed opportunities. The actual story of Tetris, how it was made, the rights struggle, and all that happened after is interesting and complicated enough on their own. There was no real need to bring in an overview of Nintendo's playing card days, or an examination of cave paintings. And it was missing the detail that was needed to make sense of a fairly complex rights issue. But it's a really good story, and when Brown does concentrate on what's important, it's a good read. The art is relativel ...more
Jenny
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I learned a lot about Tetris; for example I had no idea it came out of Russia during the Cold War and that there were so many lawsuits surrounding it. This graphic novel was interesting, but the artwork was not to my taste.

Popsugar 2019-A Book Revolving Around a Puzzle or a Game
First Second Books
Oct 11, 2016 marked it as first-second-publications
Box does it again—an enthralling nonfiction work about another 1980s pop culture icon... TETRIS!

Making a book brought back a lot of nostalgia for all of us here at :01 and Box it is always a pleasure working with Box!
Matt Graupman
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I spent a lot - maybe too much - of my childhood hunched in front of the TV, madly spinning Tetris blocks on my Nintendo. I was obsessed, my brothers were obsessed, and my mom was (the most) obsessed. Box Brown's latest pop culture history comic, "Tetris: The Games People Play," proves that we weren't the only ones. What we didn't know was that this simple and addictive video game had a wild and controversial evolution.

Conceived by a Russian scientist and mathematician as a time-wasting puzzle g
Inga
This book gives you the history of Tetris in an unusual format, which is a pretty cool idea on its own, but some things didn't work for me that well.

The bulk of the story is a bunch of people fighting over the rights to Tetris. There's a lot of characters, meetings, flying to Moscow and back. I agree that these things are important, but I don't know how to make that stuff more interesting. Some parts of the book read more like a list of facts than an actual narrative.

The book did have more inter
Erin
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c-ircb2019
I’M NOT CRYING BECAUSE OF A COMIC BOOK ABOUT TETRIS, YOU’RE CRYING BECAUSE OF A COMIC BOOK ABOUT TETRIS!
Brahm
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Found on Neil Pasricha's newsletter. A beautiful graphic novel (is it a "novel" if it is a true story?) about the development of Tetris, its complicated escape from the USSR, and the ensuing confusion about who owned the rights. There's also a fair bit of Nintendo history, since they ultimately ended up with the rights for handheld, which raised Tetris to stratospheric popularity levels.

I loved this story but agree with other reviewers that it's heavy on the rights ownership aspect; a bit litig
b.andherbooks
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Who knew Tetris was created by a Russian scientist who barely received any payout for his creation until he immigrated to America in the late 90s? Who knew Tetris was involved in a series of legal battles between Russian bureaucrats and tech giants like Atari and Nintendo? I sure didn't! A highly enjoyable graphic novel detailing the creation and subsequent world domination of the highly addictive game we all know and love. A bonus are the highly readable and deceptively simple panels colored in ...more
Jason
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had a few small gripes with this book here and there (some of the legal details could've been streamlined), but overall I love Box Brown's drawing style and the rhythm of his storytelling, and there are a lot of other things to love in this charming book. Recommended.
Derek Royal
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fascinating read for anyone interested in not only Tetris, but video games and gaming culture as a whole.
Εva
May 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
I would like to begin by saying that I am not an avid fan of graphic novels. However, some of them tell wonderful stories, stories worth to be illustrated. Art Spiegelman's "Maus" is definitely one of these books. I don't know whether the creation -and most of all- the world-wide distribution and commercial exploitation of Tetris can fall into this category.

Although the book starts off promisingly with the philosophy behind games and the conception of Tetris, it soon loses interest...Once I fin
Anmiryam
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting, but far more of a business biography than the examination of the appeal of Tetris that the cover copy led me to believe. Still, a worthwhile look into the early-middle years of the video game boom and the complexities that ensue from taking an idea from creation to broad commercial availability.
Missy
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There was a period of about 5 years where I could not go to sleep without playing Tetris on my Gameboy. Many nights as I cleared away all the events of the day I quieted my mind by focusing solely on clearing away the lines. Just like the blocks in the game, the Gameboy would suddenly drop hard onto my face as my heavy eyes gave in to level 75 or 80 and I'd drift off to sleep dreaming of falling blocks. I have lost hundreds of dollars in the arcade cabinet playing this game. I own at least 6 or ...more
Jessica
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, world, nonfiction, adult, hs
in Tetris: The Games People Play, Box Brown describes the rocky past of the addictive game that took the world by storm. Created in 1984 by Alexey Pajitnov in his spare time while working for the Soviet Government. He shared the game with his friends and it spread like wildfire as a shareware title. When others suggested he get Tetris published, he ran into a bit of a snag - in the Soviet Union he couldn't profit from the sale, it would have to go through the government! Enter bureaucrats dealin ...more
Siina
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
I must say that I love the gaming industry and its history. I've been a player since 1993 when my dad got us our first computer and now I have PS1, PS2, PS4, Wii and Xbox 360 as well as my two computers. Tetris: The Little Game That Took Over the World is a fascinating piece of entertainment history. It goes through the hassle that was Tetris and all the people around it who wanted to make money out of it. Starting the comic from the early years of human history was a bit too much though, and so ...more
Steven Matview
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
For a long time I thought I'd never get to read this one. Luckily the library finally added a few copies to the collection. I guess you could say the pieces finally fell into place.

photo Fozzie-bear.jpg

While the title implies that this graphic novel is all about the creation of the classic puzzle game, it’s just as much about the history of the video game company that launched the game into international stardom – Nintendo.

photo 16229467_138152903360855_5906145563228766208_n.jpg

It almost seems like the creation of Tetris itself wasn't enough to build a whole story around
Bill
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Even as a child, I wondered about all the different versions and publishers for the game "Tetris" (and people still argue about which NES version was better), but never knew the story behind it. It turns out that the history of Tetris, as shown in this book, starts with a fairly innocent exploration of game design, but spirals into shady business deals, international intrigue, and questionable legal maneuvers. The art style is oddly appropriate -- I'm particularly impressed with how Box Brown ca ...more
Nick Devlin
Nov 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Quick read and a relatively entertaining overview of gaming history, but gets bogged down at times talking about executives and meetings.
47Time
Feb 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
I'm a gamer who hates losing at any game. I would have preferred to lose continuously playing a crappy game for the time it took to read this awful comic.

There is no story to be had here. Instead you have what I suppose are historical facts with a bit of imagined dialogue from the characters. It's drier than a desert sand storm in July. Even the tragic death of a character feels like a sidenote. The large cast isn't helping matters at all. The Russians are continuously portrayed as opportunists
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Shackleton: Antarctic Odyssey
  • The Hunting Accident
  • Fallout: J. Robert Oppenheimer, Leo Szilard, and the Political Science of the Atomic Bomb
  • Rise of the Dungeon Master: Gary Gygax and the Creation of D&D
  • How to Survive in the North
  • California Dreamin'
  • Hip Hop Family Tree, Vol. 2: 1981-1983
  • Unflattening
  • The Unwanted: Stories of the Syrian Refugees
  • Snowden
  • Faire Semblant C'est Mentir
  • The Comic Book Story of Beer: The World's Favorite Beverage from 7000 BC to Today's Craft Brewing Revolution
  • Approximate Continuum Comics
  • Our Cats Are More Famous Than Us: A Johnny Wander Collection
  • Delilah Dirk and the King's Shilling (Delilah Dirk, #2)
  • Glenn Gould, une vie à contretemps