Start by marking “Been Here All Along” as Want to Read:
Been Here All Along

Been Here All Along

He’s in love with the boy next door.

Gideon always has a plan. His plans include running for class president, leading the yearbook committee, and having his choice of colleges. They do not include falling head over heels for his best friend and next door neighbor, Kyle. It’s a distraction. It’s pointless, as Kyle is already dating the gorgeous and popular head cheerleader,
Published August 30th 2016 by Swoon Reads

To ask other readers questions about Been Here All Along, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Been Here All Along

Lola
This is some cute stuff.

Even the author’s name is adorable: Sandy Hall. I can’t imagine this author ever writing a horror story.

But let’s get back to Been Here All Along.

This is a very short novel of two hundred pages. It’s a ‘‘best-friends-to-boyfriends’’ type of plot with plenty of geeky, lovey-dovey and funny scenes.

It’s not original and half of the drama sure could have been cut out, but it’s well-written, atmospheric and heart-warming.

The dynamics between best friends Kyle and Gideon make
Wendy Darling
3.5 stars This is a very very light romance between a boy named Gideon who realizes he's in love with his bi best friend Kyle, complicated by the fact that Kyle already has a girlfriend. I may be being a trifle generous in rounding up the star ratings, but the book is very cute, like all of Sandy Hall's books, and it's something I'd probably hand to younger readers in the YA spectrum. (It honestly feels very middle grade in many ways, particularly in the straightforward language and tone.) It's ...more
Elise (TheBookishActress)
“Hey,” I say, trying to stand up causally and failing. I get all tangled up in the afghan and almost fall over the coffee table. “I am perfectly fine and totally normal.”

Been Here All Along is an adorable romance between two next-door neighbors who have been friends for forever. It is cute. It is gay. And I read it really quickly despite my reading slump.

Merits of this book include:
→it’s best friends to lovers
→the outgoing one and the sort of shy one
→the title references a fucking Taylor Sw
prag ♻
“I love that you know when to ask if I need help.”
“I love that you edited my Kyle notebook,” I say.
“I love how you read ridiculously long books and then recommend them to me even though you know I’ll never touch them.”
“I just want to share good literature with you!”
“I love that you—” Kyle starts.
I cut him off by planting a loud kiss on his lips, which throws him into a fit of giggles and he nearly trips over his own feet.
“I love that you did that,” he says.

things to love about this book:
● bes
Larry H
May 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I'd rate this 3.5 stars.

This was a sweet, heartwarming book I read in about 90 minutes. (File me under "People with no plans on Friday night.")

Gideon is smart, organized to a fault, always on time, and always is planning his next steps, which include running for class president and getting into a good college. His best friend Kyle is, in many ways, his complete opposite—the star basketball player, who doesn't like to read (or really even think about college), who's never on time for anything and
Nina
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
This was such a quick read! I finished this book in one sitting and also enjoyed it. It's a really cute story with adorable characters! The only thing that really, really bothered me was that it was extremely predictable. After finishing the first 50 pages I already knew almost exactly what would happen during the rest of the book and how it would end.
sofia (sam willows)
SO CUTE I CAN'T EVEN FUNCTION RIGHT ANYMORE

rtc
BookLover
“I have become a teen rom-com cliché. ”

This was a very cute story, with lots of witty inner monologues. Gideon and Kyle, next door neighbours, had been best friends since they were children. Things began to change as each were figuring out who they were and what their feelings for one another were. I bonded with both of these characters from the beginning.

Gideon’s relationship with his brother, Ezra was both amusing and touching.

“Our parents finally notice Gideon sitting on the couch, poutin
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

I’m sure you have all had the same experiences as me, where you’ve been reading heavy, dark and depressing books one after another before you realize you just need something light and fluffy to pick you back up. That was me recently. I noticed the heavy nature of the books I had recently read and decided that it needed to change. I needed something to make me feel happy and light and Been Here All Along by Sandy Hall was the perfect choice in terms of what I was looking for.

Gideon and Kyle have
Dahlia
So freaking cute I did that thing where you kick your legs in the air because some scenes are just too adorable to be contained. Sandy Hall books always have the same pros and cons for me - pros being super cuteness and nice diversity representation, and cons being too many POVs and character development that suffers for it, but I'm firmly on the side of positivity here. The friends-to-lovers plotline is just so sweet, and I appreciate the clear effort taken not to make Ruby a one-dimensional vi ...more
Janani(ஜனனி)
I was having mushy feelings when I read this book. I just wanted to cuddle those characters with all my being. They were so cute and innocent and even though I was a devil in disguise I couldn’t stop myself from feeling all the squeals. I had a full-time grin on my face during my phase of Been Here All Along. The feeling of being awestruck by an unexpected book was a bliss. I can’t fathom my feelings into the mere words about how much I adore this book. I’ll try though.
“I’m so happy it makes
Romie
Where do I even begin ?
IT WAS ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE.
This review will have no spoilers and probably be really messy. You've been warned.

From day 1, I had a real connection with Kyle: he's introvert, bisexual, adorable, weird in a good way, a huge nerd and we love that about him. The struggles he has because of his sexuality, I understood them all, it made me feel less alone and so happy to finally have a bi character who has the same problems as mine, but is also confident in his sexuality. Okay h
Stacee
I saw the comparison to Simon Vs and that's pretty much the reason I requested it. I liked the premise and I adore the BFF to more plot line.

First off, the story is told in 4 POVs: Kyle, Gideon, Ruby {Kyle's gf}, and Ezra {Gideon's brother}. Sadly, only Ruby's POV sounded different and I think that was mainly because I hated her so much. There were several times that I had to go back to the beginning of a chapter to refresh my memory as to whose head we were in.

Kyle and Gideon are adorable. Ruby
Andreja
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016, lgbtqia, meh
But I really wanted to kiss him. More than I've ever wanted to kiss anyone in my entire life.

Honestly, I didn't feel anything reading this book. It has a weird insta love. Gideon suddenly out of nowhere realises he is gay and in love with his best friend. After they have been friends for more that 10 years. The realisation is really weird, there is no build up. It made no sense. Kyle knows he is bi, so his side was a tiny bit more plausible. Just a tiny bit tho, he also out of nowhere develops f

Warning: the word cute may make a few appearances in this review. :D

Sandy Hall’s Been Here All Along has all the right ingredients for a sweet, silly, romantic story. A sweet, eye-catching cover full of color, best friends, cute nicknames (Gid and Giddyup for Gideon) and a crushing on the boy next door romance. All that and more is simmering away. Ready to sweep me up into a bear hug of cuteness and cuddles with a capital C. Sadly that abundance of adorableness didn’t form any kind of emotional
Brittany
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Sandy Hall's books never fail to be light, quick and cute. And Been Here All Along is no exception there. The added bonus is that it's a gay romance. A best friend to more romance at that.

What I liked; the heart of the story. Kyle being secure in his sexuality(he's bi), being out before the book even starts. Gideon realizing his feelings for Kyle and not freaking out; to him it just makes sense. Accepting families. Very present parents. And Kyle's and Gideon's best friendship to boyfriends is a
Dylan
PSA: I wrote this in January and I don’t like this review at all, but I don’t remember enough about this book to write another review and I got this book for review from the publisher so I need to post something..my apologies.

Been Here All Along is told in four different perspectives; Gideon, Kyle, Ruby and Ezra. I loved the fact that it was told like this because it just made me feel so many things and I was also able to really get to know these characters.

My favorite character is probably Gi
Kisses A
Dnf 50%
So freakin boring.
Snoozefest
I fell asleep countless times.
Emilie Emzbooksandco
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
"Pretend to be a tree, pretend to be a tree, I tell myself. Trees don't speak"

As always with Sandy Hall, this book is filled with cuteness and love. I really loved it, and I think that it’s the kind of book you can read when you’re feeling down and it immediately cheers you up.

"I don't know how to deal with the issue, so I just don't. I avoid it, ignore it, and downright fall into denial about it." (that is totally me)

The multiple point of views were really cool, and that’s really something
⊱ Poppy ⊰
This was some Pretty cool light stuff i just read,

"Been Here All Along" was a story of two bestfriends turned boyfriends. lol

It was a merely a light short read, maybe coupla 150 or 200 pages short.

I liked the atmosphere of this book, the friendship of Gideon & Kyle made me realize that i want to have a friendship like they had.

I seriously have to change my friendship goals. TBH!!

I really liked the writing, the writer really can push off some extra drama with a class. :P

Seriously, their was
Grace {Rebel Mommy Book Blog}
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Review
I have been wanting to read a Sandy Hall book since I started blogging and was so excited when I got this to review. I have to say it was pretty darn cute!!

There were so many things to love in book so let me tick some of them off for you:

♥  Gideon and Kyle are awesome friends. I loved just watching them hang out and interact. When Gideon realizes he likes Kyle I was rooting for them hardcore.

♥ They are also huge nerds with Lord of the Rings and write in Elvish. I am always down for some
Nikki
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very positive 3.5 stars. Very light, very short, VERY cute.
Jen Ryland
This was my first Swoon Reads book, and overall I thought it was cute. It's the story of a bunch of people realizing different things about themselves, but mostly a love story between two guy best friends.

The positive:
A cute, quick read. Gideon and Kyle were very sweet together and I was rooting for them.

The less positive:
I had some overall issues with the writing style and narrative choices. First off, I'm skeptical of the need for too many (first person) POVs in a story and I don't think Kyle'
Shan( Shans_Shelves) 💜
I managed to finish it this time round and I liked the book. I didn’t love it but it had some good moments.

Pros
•I liked how all of the characters acted their age and weren’t adults in teenagers bodies.
•I thought the relationship between Kyle & Gideon was cute.
•y Rep: Gay MC, Bisexual MC, MC with a learning disorder.
• I related a lot to the way Gideon realizes he’s gay.
•I thought Kyle was adorable.
• Gideon grew on me. He was a little cruel at the beginning but his growth by the end of the
OonaReads
I don't know how to deal with the issue, so I just don't. I avoid it, I ignore it, and downright fall into denial about it

This was just a cuteness overload:
- best friends to lovers, which is one of my fave tropes
- Nerds in love. Like so many pop culture references, my fave was obviously parks and rec/Leslie Knope reference.
-Ezra and Gideon banter
- Supportive families ftw
- bi guy with a learning disability and a jewish gay guy
- so much sappy shit, with basically no angst
- super short, like I
Stina
Read this review on my rad blog: https://stinaslousyreviews.wordpress....

I can kick this off by saying that I rarely enjoy contemporaries and that I, in general, don’t like books that center around a romance (I prefer to have it prance around in the background, or even not walk around at all). But I asked for it. I asked for people to give me a short contemporary that I could fly through and forget within the next week. Both of which I technically got, but that sadly does not comfort me at all.

B
Misty
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm sorry that I have to give this 3 STARS⭐⭐⭐I thought Gideon and Kyle were great with each other. The person that ruined the book was Ruby. Ruby's life not going her way should not have been an excuse for her to be jealous of someone or to try to sabotage them. She just didn't sit well with me and she couldn't even redeem herself for me at the end because she was just so horrible throughout the book. ...more
Cassandra (Thebookishcrypt)
*ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*
This was my first novel by Sandy Hall and I can honestly say that I am a fan now! This is a diverse YA book and I seriously wish I could reread it immediately.
We got 4 total POV's in this book but the ones that really mattered (at least to me) were from Gideon and Kyle. They've been best friends almost their entire lives and have been next door neighbors for the same amount of time. We follow them as they are trying to get through high
Gabby
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
description

Not bad, not bad all. I quite liked this book. It was cute, and I liked the sort of slow burn romance between the two main characters.

The ending came suddenly. Abrupt. It felt like the book was just cut off. One minute I'm reading then BAM acknowledgements, and I'm like - is that it? That's how you're ending it? And I guess, it was good. It was happy. But it felt . . . eh. Everything seemed to happen all at once, despite their being a long build up. And this book was only 240 pages, but it did
Trisha
Nov 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet, easy read. Sometimes you just want the mellow, short, sweet stories - ones where you can see the plot twist but enjoy the nice easy ride there. I knew the tension was coming and that made it easy to get through.

I'm glad the characters went full circle - learning lessons that made them stronger, better people - but that also means they didn't always make the nice, good, hard choice. Sometimes they went the easy route but that was a part of it all too.

I think my favorite was the idea of t

• A Boy Worth Knowing
  • Falling From The Sky (Bear Creek, #1)
  • Unfinished Business (Beggars and Choosers, #2)
  • Tristant and Elijah
  • Atom Heart John Beloved
  • Vivaldi in the Dark (Vivaldi in the Dark, #1)
  • Sacrificed (Little Boy Lost, #6)
  • The Rules of Ever After
  • Whatever.: or how junior year became totally f$@ked
  • 366 Days
  • The Cost of Loving (Unconditional Love, #2)
  • St. Clair (Gives Light , #3)
  • The Bravest Thing
  • Breaking Up is Hard to Do: Stories About Falling Out of Love by Four Incredible Authors
  • Something Like Lightning (Something Like, #5)
  • Band Fags!
  • Happy Endings Are All Alike
“I’m just really happy,” he says, rolling away from me and leaning up on his elbow. “I’m so happy it makes me want to hide, because I don’t know what to do with it all. I want to store it up and save it for winter.” “But winter just ended.” “Fine, I want to store it up and save it for when I don’t feel like it’s bursting from every single one of my pores. I didn’t know this was possible. To feel this way.” I lean up on my elbow to face him, smiling. “What? Are you going to make fun of me?” Gideon asks. Someone shushes us from a nearby blanket, so I pitch my voice low and whisper in his ear. “I can’t make fun of you because I feel the exact same way.” We” 5 likes
“Kind of bored and sort of sad.” 1 likes