Start by marking “Wish” as Want to Read:
Wish

Wish

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  3,216 Ratings  ·  515 Reviews
Eleven-year-old Charlie Reese has been making the same secret wish every day since fourth grade. She even has a list of all the ways there are to make the wish, such as cutting off the pointed end of a slice of pie and wishing on it as she takes the last bite. But when she is sent to the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina to live with family she barely knows, it seems ...more
Published August 30th 2016 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Wish, please sign up.
Elan Vytal My Child lis reading it but she told me it is boring to her and it's not a good book
Natalie This book is not sad. I kept expecting it to go that way because so many novels seem to anymore (even kid's books!) But it's a wonderful story about…moreThis book is not sad. I kept expecting it to go that way because so many novels seem to anymore (even kid's books!) But it's a wonderful story about what family is and what family means to different people. It left me with a smile in my heart.(less)

Colby Sharp
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, 2016-nerdy, mg-novel
I often make the mistake of reading middle grade novels with awards in my head. Thinking about what the National Book Award Committee or the Newbery Committee might think about a book is fun, but it often taints my reading experience.

The time I spent with Barbara O’Connor’s Wish was magical. I never once thought about what award committees will think of this book, not because it doesn’t deserve consideration, but because this book is so obviously perfect and important for kids that it doesn’t re
Emily Montjoy
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This has to be one of my favorite books I've read so far this year! Barbara O'Connor does it again! She writes a beautiful story that has just enough humor to provide the right amount of laughter mixed with moments that pull on your heart strings. I fell in love with the characters, each playing such an important part in developing the plot of the story. The southern dialect and attention to detail helped me to really get into the story! O'Connor's choice of words and language make this a story ...more
Amanda  Schreiber
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The magical cover is only a start to this wonderful book! Wish has to be one if my favorites of 2016! Students will devour this book. Told with humor & honesty this book follows Charlie's attempt to fit in, in a new town & capture a stray dog named Wishbone. Will Charlie love her new life? Or will her temper prevent her from making friends? Will her wish finally come true?

Charlie, Howard, Bertha, Gus & Wishbone are a cast of characters students will love & adore! Add this to you
Dylan Teut
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I raced through this book in one night/day. And I finished it with a big happy cry. The book was so good for my heart and soul. And I know just what I need now: More Barbara O'Connor books.
Aryana Parmar
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow, this was a really heartbreaking story, but I loved it so much. I loved all of it, but some phrases of the story really struck me. My favorite one was "That was it. I looked at the word love. I traced the letters with my finger. Then I folded the paper up and put it back in the envelope." I just though that was so overwhelming but I loved it so much because it defined the mc so much and really sharpened the perspective. Oh my, this book made what was supposed to be a relaxing Saturday a hear ...more
Augusta Scattergood
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I can't wait for this book to get into the hands of young readers. So many things for them to love!

The characters will make you laugh and will totally win your hearts, even Charlie at her unhappy grumpiest. And the dog, ah- the dog! Love him, too. A perfect read-aloud, WISH has so much to talk about with middle-grade readers. Don't miss this one.
Christina Hanson
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Three birds on a wire. Seeing 11:11 on a clock. Finding 14 rows on an ear of corn. These were just a few of the unique things that Charlie would make a secret wish on in Barbara O'Connor's book Wish. Charlie has been wishing for the same thing since fourth grade, and she's not stopping now. After moving in with her aunt and uncle, Charlie becomes friends with neighbor-boy, Howard, who seems wise beyond his years, and also keeps feisty Charlie in check (pineapple, pineapple, pineapple!). One day, ...more
I received this e-book from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

Let me begin by saying that the story is just as beautiful as the cover! I definitely need to get a copy of this for my classroom library because I know my students will fall in love with these characters!

The main character, Charlie Reese, is a young girl who has been sent to live with her aunt and uncle due to an unstable home life. All she wants is to go back home and be with her family, even though she knows it isn't tha
Sarah Levy
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
How many times can you wish for something before it comes true? A great story of the true meaning of family, friendship, and love. I adored living and learning alongside Charlie as she battled through a difficult time in her life. Will definitely be recommending this one to my students!
Melanie
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Charlie's story is a love letter to the Blue Ridge mountains, complete with characters who will warm your heart as well as any human being alive. O'Connor is a master of middle grade. Do not miss this beautiful, heartfelt story.
Clare Lund
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this book!! Starting with its gorgeous cover art and a main character I took to immediately, Wish is a story about hope in the face of hopelessness. Reading this book will break your heart, and then restore your faith in humanity. I am always humbled as a teacher how Barbara O’Connor opens my eyes to the stories behind “bad behavior” we sometimes see in our students, as she did years ago with How to Steal a Dog (which I also highly recommend). Ages 8 and up!
Linda
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the quietest book that begins to squeeze your heart, slowly, slowly, until you realize that you are looking for things to wish on just like Charlie, but just for Charlie! Charlie has been taken to her Aunt Bertha and Uncle Gus's home after it's been determined that she is no longer in a stable environment. Her father is in jail and her mother doesn't get out of bed. Her sister is about to graduate from high school so gets to move in with a friend. Charlie is alone in what she thinks of a ...more
Jacquelyn
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was sent an ARC by the publisher for free in return for an honest review.

What a cute read! I was hooked on this story line and the characters all day. When I had to put it down, the only thing I wanted to do was pick it back up again. I haven't read a whole book (it was short but shh) in one day like this in months. The characters were what really made this story. They all had such real and true personalities and I even felt that I "knew" the dog as well. It was such an inspiring and cute litt
Margie
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Each day as they arrive filtering into the hallways, you wonder how their morning starts at home. As they come and go class by class, in and out of your library, you work on your goals for the day and the year but more importantly you work on giving them a sense of belonging. You want them to know how very special they are because at the end of the day when they get on one of a long row of buses or into a waiting car, you have no idea what awaits them.

As an educator you frequently, actually day
Leigh Anne
My all time favorite Barbara O'Connor book was How to Steal a Dog...until I read Wish. Charlie and Howard stole my heart. This book is about family, friendship, and hope. But most importantly it is about finding out that what you wish for isn't always what you really want. Wish will make a wonderful read aloud for all ages.
Mary Lee
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, cats, dogs, friends, setting
Families come in all shapes and sizes. So do friends. And towns, and lifestyles, and personalities. None of them should be judged by their appearance.

I wish I could read this to my 5th graders -- the ones I've just sent on to 6th grade. It would be the PERFECT read aloud after The War That Saved My Life.
Stacey Williams
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If I could only use one word to describe this book it would be heart warming! It’s beautifully written and teaches the true meaning of both family and friendship. I absolutely adored Aunt Bertha and Uncle Gus and they will always hold a special place in my heart!
Aileen H
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm a bit embarrassed that this is the first of Barbara's books that I have read. It was wonderful! I can think of a ton of students (and teachers) to whom I will recommend this book. What a great read!
Heather Taake
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is such a sweet book. I loved it. Highly recommended to anyone who has ever felt alone, loved a dog, or had a wish in their heart.
Lisa Straubinger
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A little girl from a broken family considers herself a stray. She finds a stray dog that she is hoping to catch and make a part of her family. But who is her family? What really makes a family? Charlie learns that and more in Wish. I'm looking forward to discussing this next week with the #mgbuddyread group. ☺ ...more
Terry
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a great children's book. It helps children focus on the positive and challenges them to be nice to people. It also helps students understand what a true family is and how a true family may not be exactly what you expected it would be. I highly recommend this for anyone with little children.
Michelle Glatt
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a sweet MG book about a girl finding a family and friends in a place she didn't want to be. Good for fans of books like Love, Aubrey.
Diane
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"I hadn't missed one single day of making my wish since the end of fourth grade, so I sure didn't want to miss one now."

Meet Charlemagne "Charlie" Reese. She's got a lot of anger inside that comes out often and gets her into trouble. Is it because she's like her father? "Daddy fights so much that everybody calls him Scrappy." Or is it because her mother is so distant and doesn't really even seem to care about her? Most days, Mom won't even get out of bed. So, with dad in jail again, Social Servi
Allison
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nothing original here - Southern girl from a broken home moves to the country and gets a dog and a new family - but I still loved it. Charlie's emotions and struggles felt completely authentic and real and all the side characters were just spot on. The rural Appalachian setting was wonderful and descriptive. Nothing new or revolutionary here, but a very solid middle grade that got me a little teary eyed and kids will treasure (even if Wishbone the dog was a little too perfect, we forgive him tha ...more
Brenda Kahn
I catalogued this at my library yesterday and couldn't resist opening it and reading a bit. I got immediately drawn in to Charlie's world. I brought it with me to an appointment earlier today and helped me wait and wait and wait for an FNA. I didn't mind waiting since they squeezed me in but I was so smitten by Charlie's voice that I was a tad disappointed when I was called in.

I adore Barbara O'Connor's writing. It is beautiful but economical. I adore her characters. They are imperfect, vivid,
Rita
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my juvenile fiction books by far this year (along with Pax :)).

I laughed. I hoped. I cried...

A little girl is forced to live with her aunt and uncle in BFE after her daddy goes to get "corrected" and her mom can't seem to cope with life. She wishes every single day for a family {spoiler - but really you kind of figure that out} and she catches a stray doggy and makes him her very own. I loved everything about this book.
Michelle Simpson
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book filled me with both deep sadness, followed by great joy. I love the characters and their connections with one another. Even the "good guys" are not perfect, and they will make you think of people you know. I absolutely cannot wait to share this one with students in the fall. Barbara O'Connor has outdone herself with this book!

I read an early version of this story provided by NetGalley.
Jimmy
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just loved Wish so much! Exceptional characters and great plot line. Barbara's writing immersed me with emotion in many parts. And Howard. I mean. How can you not love him! Everyone needs a Howard in their lives. The setting was such a reminder of the wonderful years I spent down south for college. This book can help us all appreciate the beauty around us. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ ...more
Michele Knott
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Charlie is a character that kids are going to love, even without having a connection to her story. This book is a wonderful story to create empathy for people who are experiencing situations that are different from our own.
Good ladder book for One for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt.
Claire
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book with a great ending. You should definitely read it!
  • Gertie's Leap to Greatness
  • Full of Beans
  • The Truth About Twinkie Pie
  • Every Day After
  • The Key to Extraordinary
  • Duke (Dogs of World War II)
Barbara O'Connor's awards include the Parents Choice Gold and Silver Award, American Library Association Notable Books, IRA Notable Books for a Global Society, School Library Journal Best Books, and Kirkus Best Books. Her books have been nominated for children's choice awards in 38 states and voted as a state favorite by children in South Carolina, Indiana, Kansas, and South Dakota.

Barbara was bor

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
  • A Map of the World
    $14.99 $2.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
“On the line beside Describe your family, I wrote, "Bad."

What is your favorite subject in school? "None."

List three of your favorite activities. "Soccer, ballet, and fighting."

Two of those favorite activities were lies but one of them was the truth.

I am fond of fighting.”
4 likes
“You'd think that a redheaded boy with glasses who was named Howard and had an up-down walk would have a lot more to wish for than being friends with me. But I admit I felt a smile on my face and hope in my heart, 'cause maybe wishes really do come true. Maybe some wishes just take longer than others.” 2 likes