Start by marking “How to Find a Fox” as Want to Read:
How to Find a Fox

How to Find a Fox

Equipped with a camera and determination, a little girl sets out to track down an elusive red fox. But foxes are sneaky, and it proves more difficult than she thought.

Nilah Magruder's debut picture book charmingly tells the story of what it means to not give up and how sometimes what you're looking for is closer than you think.
Published November 15th 2016 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about How to Find a Fox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Find a Fox

Carmen
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
Oh, no! You waited too long.

Lying around won't bring foxes to you. Keep looking.

Stalk through the grass. Make fox calls.

Search by the stream. Make more fox calls.

Roll down a hill. It won't help you find a fox, but it's fun.

This book is about a fierce, determined, patient girl who is looking for a fox.

She is all alone and she wanders through fields, through the woods, and across streams to find a fox. She has a nice camera with a leather strap with her, and a backpack, which I assume has snacks i
Erica
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: karen and Greg
Obviously, I don't need this book. I find foxen all the time. But, in general, this offers excellent advice on how to go about achieving your goals, especially if your goal is to take a picture of a fox.

Mostly, I love this little Lilo-looking kid who runs around the woods with her camera, making fox noises and rolling down hills (that doesn't help you find a fox but it's fun). Look at that determination!

I also liked that most of the animals in this book can be found in my region so it was kind
Jacob
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Love these illustrations!! Cute story!!! One word of caution though: Don't send children out looking for foxes! Lol
Boni
Nov 23, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked this, but couldn't get past the Dora-the-Explorer-ness of it. I kept expecting her to pull Map out of that backpack to help her find Swiper. It felt like a non-commercialized version of Dora. It was hard to separate how I felt about this book from those overtones, which is unfortunate, because the text had some sparkle to it in places. I wish they'd ditched the backpack (which she doesn't really use anyway) or made the animal something other than a fox or done something to minimize the s ...more
Mary Ruthless
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This picture book is adorable. A little girl plays in the woods, hoping to find a fox. Little does she know, she has a sly friend following her. Perfect illustrations and I adore this little girl's vivacity and perseverance. I wish I could give it more stars. I've read it twice since yesterday. Great for ages 2-5 years old....and adults who love wonderful children's books.
Jacki
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
SO CUTE.
Bogi Takács
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-1st-pub
Review very soon, G-d willing. Super cool picture book!
Kristen Boers
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A gorgeously illustrated book for adventurous little girls (or tricky little foxes). Come for the animal adventures, stay for the gentle lesson about problem solving and how to handle things when they don't go your away. As a parent, I get very excited when a book targeted at children presents a story that transcends gender stereotypes. Our fox finder is a little girl, but her gender has no bearing on the story. She's also a person of color, which has no bearing on the story. Presenting main cha ...more
Garrett
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: story-time
You find it strange when a book is written in the second person.

But you get over it when the book is this darn adorable.
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Super cute fun adventure story. Delightful and touching. Great art and colors.
Caieta
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the perfect book for me. I want to find a fox!!! I would never give up, just like the girl in this book. It's really funny and cute at the end.
Emma
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
animal/adventure storytime
LtLEGOReads
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Granted I picked up this book as it was one of the new books purchased by my local library but it turned out to be rather good.

It's a tad imaginative - I mean, why would an ordinary kid want to find a fox right?

So the story goes like this - a little girl went out to find a fox, she tried everything and almost all proven methods, but the fox continues to escape her. She almost gave up until one day, the fox found her!

A good book about how determination and perseverance will not let you down. Th
Barbara
A determined young girl takes her camera and several possible ideas for spotting a fox with her when she heads out into the great outdoors. She uses her knowledge about foxes and their habitat as well as what they like to eat and what their tracks look like. And she uses lots of patience and persistence. Surely, all that hard work will pay off. But as the lively illustrations, created digitally in Adobe Photoshop, show, the fox is watching her just as much as she is watching it. Just as she take ...more
Tasha
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A little girl sets out to find a fox. She immediately finds a fox hole, but the fox isn’t home. She sets out fox bait, then hides and waits so long that she gets sleepy. She tries following fox tracks, but fox are sneaky animals. She puts out more bait and eventually falls fast asleep. She tries making fox calls. Finally, when she climbs a tree to look around, she spots the fox! But she loses him. The little girl is ready to give up, but convinces herself to keep on trying. Perhaps the solution ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Jan 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-recommended
Magruder, Nilah How to Find a Fox. PICTURE BOOK. Feiwel and Friends, 2016. $17.

The little girl is determined to go into the forest and find herself a fox friend of her own.

The pictures are the best part of the book – they are colorful and delightful. The story however – how can I give a young student a book about going out in the woods alone to attract a wild animal? Can’t. Its one thing when they are tracking dinosaurs, trains, or trucks – things they wouldn’t really be catching – but foxes are
edh
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is an adorable instructive book all about how to catch foxes! Of course, you'll want to take a good picture. And you'll need bait... and a ton of patience. A little girl explores the natural world while a wily fox stays just out of the frame of her pictures. Excellent addition to storytime repertoire - your listeners will spot that fox and find him on every page!
Silence
Audience: Preschool / Grade School
Illustrations: Love!
Plot / Review: It takes a lot to catch a fox! Readers will love how close (yet so far!) this fox is to the girl throughout the book. I can hear the storytime kids screaming “Fox! Fox!” already lol.
Read Aloud: Yes
Rebekah Snyder
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book perfectly captures a child's sense of imagination and adventure (also their patience and/or lack thereof). The illustrations are adorable and the fact that the book is written in second person makes it any child's story. Makes me want to go out hunting foxes.
Beckie
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-skye
An adorable book about a girl going on a fox hunt to capture a fox with her camera and missing every opportunity until the fox is ready to be found. Adorable story with adorable illustrations. Kids loved this one!
Cathy Mealey
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Can this cunning protagonist out-fox a fox? Is Fox camera-shy or just eager for a playful session of hide-and-seek? Sweet story with a clever mid-book orientation flip, look for more fun titles from this debut author in the future.
Kelly Snyder
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a cute book! I love the illustrations and the little girl is so determined to find a fox that she really overlooks everything around her. Not to spoil the outcome of the book, but her patience finally pays off when she finds a fox (or does the fox find her?).
Michelle Gray
Themes: foxes, nature, tracking
Edward Sullivan
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Charming protagonist in an engaging story.
Mary Ann
Love the illustrations. But the story just didn't come alive for me. Need to share with kids and see how they respond...
paula
YES. The value of persistence and creative thinking. A range of emotions, all valid. The various ways to enjoy the outdoors. And fuzzy animals with cute eyeballs!
Ashley Adkins
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book for the preschool audience. Very simple text and fun. Great art too!
Casandria
Silly and cute. A girl shows how to persevere and find that fox!
Garren
Dec 19, 2016 rated it liked it
This is the genre of "character can't see something the kids are pointing out frantically." Love the 'just because' black representation.
Shantee
Dec 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love the Illustrations and the color choices, this book needs to be read to a child. The words chosen are way above sight words and would need to be explained.
  • Hank's Big Day: The Story of a Bug
  • You Can Do It, Bert!
  • Lucy
  • Thank You, Omu!
  • Buddy and the Bunnies: In Don't Play with Your Food
  • Yeti, Turn Out the Light!
By day, Nilah Magruder draws storyboards for TV animation. By night she creates comics, children's books, and the occasional batch of chocolate chip cookies. Her webcomic, M.F.K., won the inaugural Dwayne McDuffie Award for Diversity in 2015, and her first picture book is forthcoming in 2016 from Feiwel & Friends. When she is not drawing or writing, Nilah is reading fantasy novels, watching mo ...more