Start by marking “The Joy of Argument” as Want to Read:
The Joy of Argument

Read Book

The Joy of Argument

There are things in life you want but will never get, unless you learn how to argue for them. And there are things in life you don't want, but you'll get them anyway, if you let others persuade you with weak arguments. Here you will learn how to get more of what you want, and less of what you don't. You'll learn The Joy of Argument.
Published November 1st 2015 by Boyle & Dalton

To ask other readers questions about The Joy of Argument, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Joy of Argument

Start your review of The Joy of Argument
Yodamom
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I didn't expect to enjoy reading this, I did expect to gain some knowledge out of it. The writing was so well done that I found myself looking forward to the brief chapters of simple steps to take to strengthen your position in an argument and gain confidence. Brief chapters, what a great thing, quick to the point and useful in a busy life. The author didn't waist time, each suggestion was clearly stated and easy to practice.
Listening, such a simple thing to do and yet nobody does it, not really
Don Sloan
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The joy of winning an argument may be fleeting, but it can be ever so satisfying. So states author Albert Navarra in his excellent and inspirational book The Joy of Argument: 91 Ways to Get More of What You Want, and Less of What You Don't.

Navarra goes on to assert that "there are things in life you want, but will never get unless you learn to argue for them." Then, he goes on: "There are as many reasons to argue as there are reasons to live."

Strong advice for a civilized age in which a high pre
Dagmar
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Thank you to Emily for entering The Joy of Argument as a Goodreads Giveaway. I just won this book the other day and I am so looking forward to receiving it!
03/24/17 - I just received my book. It was misdelivered to someone else's mailbox! I plan to start reading it this weekend.
Joanne Hetherington
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read the book and will keep for reference when needed. Well written.
Evan
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
I received an ARC copy of this book from NetGalley.

I'm posting this review several months after having read the book, so I've forgotten the specifics, but I do remember why I felt so strongly about it.

When I picked up The Joy of Argument, I thought I'd be reading something that both illustrated the benefits of excellent argument and laid out a road map for winning debates. While The Joy of Argument does meet the latter expectation, Albert Navarra's writing is so insultingly facile that I did no
Sky
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Albert Navarro’s The Joy of Argument is a illuminating and insightful book about how to get the most of out an argument. His writing style is engaging, and meant for a general audience, yet each short chapter reveals erudition and years of experience developing arguments that persuade.

Each chapter tackles a key element in argumentation – and each chapter is only a few pages, so you can read the book just about anywhere and get a lot out of it. The chapters include, “Why Argue?” “When not to Argu
Donna Hines
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
For me it was one of those common sense approaches of how to and when not to argue and win the argument through confidence and strength in your convictions.
So many will suggest communication as key yet forgot the basic number one skill of quietly listening and understanding someone's point of view before embarking upon your own.
Some of the questions you may wish to ask yourself center upon basic premises such as, " "What exactly are you arguing about? What's the issue?" Then, more accurately: "W
Maggies Daisy
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: knowledge
A book we can all learn from, set in an easy to follow manner that opened my eyes to how an argument can lead to an amicable conclusion. I would recommend that this book be added to everyone's reading list from Junior High school and above. This book has found a permanent place along side my dog eared Webster's Dictionary for ease of access.

It made some sense to me that a lawyer whom I could say has probably some insight into the workings better than others from say a culinary education about h
Pat Donovan
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Albert Navarro’s The Joy of Argument provides instructional advice on when to and when not to argue and tips for developing a winning argument. The chapters were short and concise, keeping a very readable self help format. Many suggestions were common sense (avoid hot-button words, listen, keep it information based not emotional) but they were all things that all too often are forgotten in the middle of an argument. I would recommend this book to people lacking communication skills or who are hi ...more
Bill
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A little gem

I got out of this book than I intended. Has an abundant of good points that will really aid in bolstering one's art of argument.
Devon H
Mar 13, 2016 rated it liked it
I didn’t really like the format of this book, how it was broken up into small sections, each of which was an argument. I suppose that makes each argument succinct and focuses on small ways to make your personal arguments stronger, but if felt too choppy and broken up. I prefer more cohesive formats, that discuss how each topic plays into the next.

At first I took some offense to what Navaara was saying about how people shouldn’t just use “racist” even if a person is racist, but I recognize what h
Michelle
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is just the book to reach for when you're heated and in need of a reminder! As you read this book, mark some of these pages that apply to your situation. Maybe your usual route of an argument, leads you to a fight, instead of a healthy argument. Mark the pages that will help you re-route your approach or re-route to a healthier path.
A very helpful book!
Linda Mulford
Nov 02, 2016 marked it as to-read
I have not received the book yet.
Joshua Johnson