Start by marking “Woodwalker (Woodwalker, #1)” as Want to Read:
Woodwalker (Woodwalker, #1)

Woodwalker

(Woodwalker #1)

“What on earth would I gain from that?” I asked him. “Risk my own neck by violating my banishment just to leave you? The sentence placed on me if I return is execution. If I’m entering the mountains again, I’d damn well better get something out of it.”

Published May 17th 2016 by Harper Voyager Impulse

Start your review of Woodwalker (Woodwalker, #1)
Michelle Hauck
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Woodwalker gave me the warm fuzzies. You know when something is familiar and comfortable and just makes you happy. Woodwalker just made me happy. I didn't feel bad or sad at the end. It gave me a lift.

It's the story of Mae and the three royal siblings she's trying to sneak through the woods to their homeland. Mae has been banished from her mountains for getting too mouthy to her king, just as the royal siblings have been ousted from their lake throne by a foreign country. Both sets want to retu
Cat
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mae is a Woodwalker, a cross between a ranger in the Tolkien tradition and a park ranger. But for speaking out against the Silverwood king, she had been exiled. Forced to do odd jobs as she travels from one country to another, she meets Mona, Colm, and Alren – the lost monarchs of Lumen Lake who were presumed dead after the Alcoran invasion. Now they ask her for her help in guiding them back to their home to reclaim their country. The journey that ensues tests their determination – and stubbornn ...more
Grace Crandall
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OKAY
SO
THAT WAS AWESOME

My gosh. Is there anything I don't love about this book? The intricate politics, and the lavish description, and the understated but strong character development...it was all so well done.

The plot twist. I have no idea how I didn't see that coming, but there it was, awesome and beautiful and exactly what I wanted to happen. I'm so in love with this book.

Something else I loved about this story was how connected everyone in it was to the land, the earth, the familiar spaces
Beth Cato
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 2017
What a lovely, breezy, and surprising book! Woodwalker takes many epic fantasy tropes, like displaced royalty and dangerous quests, and twists them into something new and fun. I like to think I'm good at predicting the ends of books, but this one surprised me, and in a good way. I look forward to reading the next in the series!
Susana

You know what?
This book's title really doesn't lie, so get ready for a lot of walking through the woods, lol
That being said, I can't say that this story disappointed me, despite usually not being a fan of this type of narrative; I'm thinking about a book by Juliet Marillier in which I got to a point in which I wouldn't have minded if all the characters had fallen of a cliff...
In Woodwalker, the characters come out as real, flawed, secretive and interesting as hell, so no, I didn't want any harm
Carmen Steyn
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was such a fun read. I finished it in a day and it got me out of a rather impressive reading slump.

I was hooked from the first page. Emily B. Martin has a lovely writing style that is fun and easy to read.

At first I wasn't a fan of some of the characters, since I found them a bit self involved but I can honestly admit that by the end of the book I loved them all.

This book was very well planned and I loved the way everything was tied together.
Jessica
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Ugh, this book.
My main problem with the book, besides the stupid twist (I'll get to that), is that it feels like an info dump. We get constant backstory about the politics of the world, the mythos, and the history, but for the most part it doesn't feel natural. It feels like the author trying to set up the world with clunky dialogue. Sometimes it feels like the information we're getting is at the expense of the actual story. The story itself isn't awful, but I had a hard time liking the charact
Bec
I tried but just can't do it, I'm going to DNF it. The main characters all suffer from a serious case of too stupid to live. I found it really unbelievable that the people hunting them wouldn't have killed them already since they practically announce who they are and how unprepared they are from the rooftops...
Elsabet
Jan 14, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
THIS BOOK WAS A BLATANT RIPOFF OF The Thief BY Megan Whalen Turner!!!

And it wasn't even a good ripoff. It wasn't anywhere near as well written or executed. The 'subtle' hints bludgeoned you over the head the whole way through, the red herrings could be spotted from miles away, and if the world building fell flat on its face, the characters fell flatter still.

0/10, absolutely would not recommend.
Matthew
May 13, 2018 rated it liked it
2.75

A forest type guide has to travel the woods in order to get royal siblings back to their home.

And, that's the make of it. Most of the book is, well, Woodwalking. While I didn't love this book, there's something to be said for the writing when there's this much walking and bickering between characters, and I still didn't hate the damn thing.

Wouldn't buy - but a fine library book.
Sanne
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Did not see that ending coming. Hopefully part 2 is just as easy and fun to read.
Ashley Stangl
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I really, really liked this book. It hits a lot of familiar beats of YA-ish fantasy, but it takes place in a fantasy world patterned after America, which is wonderfully refreshing. The world-building is a bit simplistic, but the bits of culture are interesting, especially the religion, and the scenery is lovely, especially the forest sections (the author is a park ranger and this book shows her love and knowledge of the outdoors).

The characters are all enjoyable and feel like familiar friends by
Amanda Nelson
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nook-file, favorites
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and am looking forward to more. I adored the elements of natural history, especially the entomological tidbits, that were prevalent throughout the storyline. I used to live in the Smokies and the author really captured the feel of the mountains. The story was a bit reminiscent of Megan Whalen Turner's work, but I actually preferred this book because the setting itself seemed to be a character.

And speaking of characters, I don't think I can say enough about how well
Erin
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars- a very engaging read. Last half goes super fast. Safe to pass on to my kids. I loved all the details you can feel from the author's experience as an NPS ranger. A tad predictable- I saw the most of the big twist coming from a quite a ways off, but it was well done, and for a few pages I actually doubted myself. The characters and their dynamics were a lot of fun, and I look forward to learning more about them in the sequel.
Kes
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, read-2018
Fun, light book.

Lumen Lake was overthrown five years ago. The royals (Queen Mona Alastaire and her brothers) seek to return to their country - but they need a guide to lead them through the mountains of Silverwood.

Enter Mae - an exile from the Silverwood. They hire her to bring her through the mountains on the promise of rewards once they return to the throne. So Mae does it.

This is a book mainly about hiking through the woods. What keeps the book going are the characters: the siblings have laye
Caroline
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasyish
Much better than I expected it to be. Good writing, good characters, and a constant steam of activity. I may continue the series.
Kerri
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Strong 4 Stars. This book is everything the serafina series strives to be. Creative but concise in describing this new world. You think you know how it ends until you don’t. Still this is a young adult book for young adults. It does seem young. I look forward to reading the next one.
Becca
This reminds me of a book I love, but I can't tell you which one because that would be a spoiler. O.o
Libby McDermott Voight
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyable and quick read. It's a fantasy without any magic, which is already interesting, and the story comes from the natural world. You can really feel the author's love of nature and there are strong themes of environmentalism, colonialism, and spirituality of the "light." I'm also in love with the author's illustrations for this series (on her website) which are just gorgeous!
Lucille
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Finished this yesterday but there are almost no 3G or wifi where I'm at until tonight! So this book would be 4,5/5 even, the end was mind blowing, I cried out, and those are my favourite endings! Without the ending the book would have been a 3,5/5 for me I think!
I'll try to write a better review when I can! But this was amazing to read while i was on the Pyrenees (mountains between Spain and France)!

(Complete review with pictures and quotes on my blog! https://adragoninspace.wordpress.com/...)
Pep
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do I believe what I feel, or believe what I think?”

...says the exiled queen.

I like that. Sometimes words just sound good. Sometimes they sound deep and meaningful but after thinking about them, they really don't make sense, or maybe they make a lot of it. For example:

"You might know, but you do not understand."

I forget where this gem came from but it stuck with me. There are quite a few of these tucked in the book and it made for an enjoyable read.

Good plot.
Good character building. (They are fl
Gary Furrow
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can only hope that there will be a sequel

for some reason this book started off slow for me. But as the book moved on I became more and more interested in what was going on. An interesting story, one person agrees to guide three members of a displaced royalty across a supposed enemies ground. But a lot is rolled up in that. it an exciting story, very good world building, exceptional characters using great dialogue.

what more can i say about this book? Oh yes, I can only hope there will be a seq
Jen
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
**I received this as an e-galley from Harper Voyager Impulse through Edelweiss in return for an honest review.**

In all honesty when I first started this book I was wary of it, due to having read numerous fantasy novels that all eventually felt like they fell into the same general plot outline. Woodwalker, however, took me by surprise with how gently it pulled me into its story until I suddenly discovered I had read half of it in one day and could not stop wondering what would happen next. The st
Caroline
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, edelweiss, arcs
*Thank you Edelweiss for a copy of this book to review*

Exiled Woodwalker Mae never thought she would see her woods ever again. However, a chance encounter has her leading former Queen Mona Alastaire and her two brothers through them so that they might take back their stolen throne.

Verdict: This crossover fantasy was very well done. Emily Barton did a fabulous job making sure the story flowed so well that in a blink of an eye you were, one fourth the way through, then half the way through, and t
Linden Holder
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Emily Martin wrote a beautiful story that left me no choice but to read it all in one day. Her writing painted a beautiful picture, which made it easy to become fully entranced into the story. The lead character, Mae, was smart, cunning, talented, strong, and fully capable. She represents strong independent women, and helps to promote the ideas that women are fully capable of doing whatever they set their minds too.

This book is a must read, and will allow you a few hours to escape everyday life
Laurel Wanrow
I loved this story.
I purchased it because I'd read the journey took place in a woodland wilderness and included lots of nature. Then, the tough-as-nails heroine won me over completely, and the rest of the quest's characters weren't too far behind! The story is full of nature, adventure and twists that left wanting more--which the author has provided with beautiful illustrations of various scenes on her website, plus two more novels in the series. I've happily bought Ashes to Fire and was pleased
Rachel
Goddamn it, I was not expecting that at all.

It's slow, and mostly quiet, but hot damn did I fall head over heels for Mae and her posse.
Laurie Treacy
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2017
I really enjoyed this story, the characters, conflict, and loved the settings. I suspected part of the twist at the end and look forward to reading Mona's story.
Elizabeth
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Elizabeth Mathis
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-fantasy
“What on earth would I gain from that?” I asked him. “Risk my own neck by violating my banishment just to leave you? The sentence placed on me if I return is execution. If I’m entering the mountains again, I’d damn well better get something out of it.”

Exiled from the Silverwood and the people she loves, Mae has few illusions about ever returning to her home. But when she comes across three out-of-place strangers in her wanderings, she finds herself contemplating the unthinkable: risking death to
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Drop of Magic (The Magicsmith #1)
  • Half a Soul (Regency Faerie Tales #1)
  • Monster in My Closet (Monster Haven, #1)
  • Riviera Gold (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes, #16)
  • Lie Down with Dogs (Black Dog, #3)
  • Elemental Thief (Ridley Kayne Chronicles, #1)
  • A Queen in Hiding (The Nine Realms, #1)
  • A Killing Frost (October Daye, #14)
  • The Wizard's Butler
  • Throne of Sand (Desert Nights Novels, #1)
  • Storm & Shield (Mages of the Wheel, #2)
  • The Shadow Watch (The Shadow Watch #1)
  • Brittle Midnight (City of Magic #2)
  • Protect My Heart
  • Reign of Magic (The Fairy Tale Enchantress, #3)
  • The Daemoniac (Gaslamp Gothic #1)
  • The Sylph (Oberon Academy #3)
  • The Forest Lord (Fane, #1)
Park ranger by summer, stay-at-home mom the rest of the year, I am also a freelance artist and illustrator. An avid hiker and explorer, my experiences as ranger helped inform the character of Mae and the world of WOODWALKER.

When not patrolling places like Yellowstone, the Great Smoky Mountains, or Philmont Scout Ranch, I live in South Carolina with my husband, Will, and two daughters, Lucy and Am

Woodwalker (3 books)
  • Ashes to Fire (Woodwalker, #2)
  • Creatures of Light (Woodwalker, #3)