Start by marking “Check, Please!: Year One” as Want to Read:
Check, Please!: Year One

Check, Please!: Year One

(Check, Please! #1)

Eric Bittle—former figure skater, vlogger extraordinaire, and amateur pâtissier—is starting his freshman year playing hockey at the prestigious Samwell University. And it's nothing like co-ed club hockey back in Georgia. For one?

There's checking.

It's a story about hockey and friendship and bros and trying to find yourself during the best four years of your life.
Published October 2015 by Ngozi Ukazu (first published 2015)

Start your review of Check, Please!: Year One
Jaidee
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Jaidee by: Calista
Shelves: two-stars-books
2 " both annoying and sweet in equal measure" stars !!!

Thank you to Calista who loves this book.

A gay freshman hockey player comes out to his team-mates and makes them pie....yikes...not really !

Suffice it to say....I really enjoyed the illustrations and the sentiment of this book.

The results of the book....not so much !

Kiki
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Christ on a cracker, this was good!

I'm a great believer in moody, dark, morose stories about thespian weirdos making bad choices, and yet this bright, happy, joyful comic about an adorable gay boy playing hockey and falling in love just...did it for me. I absolutely loved it. I loved it so much that I actually gave a loud Vader-esque scream of "Nooooo!" when I got to the end of the published pages and realised that I'd have to wait fuck knows how long to find out what happens next to my boy Bitt
Jay G
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

Thank you to FirstSecond and Raincoast Books for sending me a copy of this in exchange for my honest review

Eric Bittle is a former championship figure skater, loves to bake and has a very popular vlog on the internet. Through his vlog, he talks about his new adventure as a member of the Samwell University Varsity Hockey Team and what that entails. He is quick on the ice, but there is on
Nina ✿ Looseleaf Reviews ✿
Looking for the cutest and most endearing coming of age/coming out/basically an American sports anime with amazing art published for free entirely through crowdfunding? This is the place!

Check, Please Year One starts the story of Eric Bittle, a former junior figure skater from Georgia who makes it onto an NCAA hockey team in college. He's quick on the ice and a good shot, but the problem is that he's terrified of checking. With his scholarship on the line, he has to get over his fear and win ove
Emma
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Watch me read this entire thing before the end of the day.
I just love webcomics and this is about sport and it has a gay guy as the main character, I mean it's perfection. It's really cute, every character has its personality and I love the little explanations between the chapters. It's all great, just read it. I'm already obsessed!
Mehsi
Edit: 13-12-2018: Re-read this book as the Kickstarter rewards are coming in. Yep, I supported the Kickstarter for the Third Year. Sadly, due to high shipping, I couldn't support the physical book, but I did support for the digital editions (even if I already had bought Year 1 some time ago).

I spotted this comic being discussed on Twitter, and decided to check it out. Immediately I fell in love with the comic and I bought it directly.

I do hope that the artist will also make books/pdf's of the
Tricia Levenseller
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is the first graphic novel I’ve ever read, and I absolutely loved it! What a perfect introduction to this medium. Can’t wait to try out some more!
Romie
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sooooooooooooooooo fucking cute.
Eloise
This (web)comic is soooo good.
No, but honestly, tt's sweet and lovely and you can't help but love the characters, especially Bitty who is just a pearl.
"A comic about sports? Why would I read that?"
Just... read it. Trust me.
It's available on the author's tumblr page here and can be read super quickly : http://omgcheckplease.tumblr.com/epis...
Kari (BookandCoffeeLover)
What an absolutely brilliant comic! Wonderful writing and beautiful artwork by Ngozi makes this a must read. I love this series so much!
Jane (It'sJaneLindsey)
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-read, 2017-read
Rereading the series in anticipation of Year 4. Easy 5 stars - I love this comic SO MUCH.
Therese
will always be my favorite
Rebecca
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
that was so feel-good
Gillian Berry
Cutest flipping thing I've ever read in my life
Theodora Cristea
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
This webcomic is so sweet and so heartworming. I binge read it during winter break and am currently up to date all the way to the thrid year updates - I keep recommending it to everyone who cares to listen and will keep doing so, because the characters make this piece of media so much more than you would think upon first hearing a short summary.
Please, please, please give this a try.
I would recommend also reading the extras for the full experience! Here's the link to the blog with all the posts
Rose
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'M ONTO YEAR THREE AND I'M LOSING MY MIND WOW I'M SO IN LOVE
Julie
I've heard a lot about Check, Please! from friends who follow the webcomic, but since I have trouble concentrating while reading things online, I hadn't really planned on picking it up -- until Jenny mentioned there was a physical book and tossed it into my orbit. And oh my gosh but it is SO ADORABLE and heartwarming and funny and sweet?? Eric Bittle, the lil southern baker and figure-skater turned hockey player and all around good boy, is so precious (and yet without being cloying), and followi ...more
McKinlay Dennis
awesome, amazing, adorable. highly highly recommend!
georgia ☽
!!!!

wtf that was the cutest thing i've ever read

1st read: march 2016
2nd read: july 2018
Fatima
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this, the art is beautiful and the story is so sweet.
Alice Rachel
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was so cute and adorable and awesome!
I don’t know why I waited so long to read it. 😍🌈😍
Alex
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
WAIT this is so wholesome 😭😭😭
Suzi Evelyn
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: quick-reads, lgbtqia
I read this comic at the very end of 2017 after a friend recommended it to me and MAN, AM I GLAD I DID. Check, Please follows Eric “Bitty” Bittle in his first year of college at Samwell. Bitty is a small, gay, former figure skater who plays hockey and likes to bake pies. Oh, and he vlogs about baking too. Personally, I feel like that should be enough to make you want to read it, but I’ma go on. The captain of this marvelous hockey team/family of adorable sportsy people is Jack Zimmerman. Jack is ...more
Manon the Malicious
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well, it's 2 am but I don't think I'm gonna sleep until I read all of those...

So great, so cute, amazing designs, perfect story.
Katrina
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of this emerging trend of webcomics building up a solid enough audience to transfer to a published format - either through a publishing deal, or a self-publishing campaign through a site like kickstarter. It means there's an expanded opportunity for talented creators to explore new ways of telling stories, without getting bogged down in the dross so many publishing houses continue to churn out.

This is only the first volume of Check, Please!, an ongoing webcomic about a figure skat
Keelin Rita
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: queer
YESSSSSSSSS Hockey plus cute boys plus LGBTQA plus comic book format = HAPPY ME. This is so wonderfully cute and sweet and fun and is great for people who love hockey and for those who have no idea about anything pertaining to hockey. Highly recommend!
Meepelous
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: black
And today I'm jumping on the bandwagon, too late to be anywhere near on trend, but I'm still glad to be here now in a world where I have read Check Please Year One by Ngozi Ukazu!

As per her bio on goodreads, Ngozi Ukazu is the author of the online graphic novel series Check, Please!. She studied at Yale University and the Savannah College of Art and Design.

Check Please started life as a web comic and the first post is dated February 1st 2017. I am reading the print collection self-published in 2
Alpacapanache
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ok, so I have zero interest in sports, but after enjoying the hell out of Yuri on Ice, I thought I'd give Check, Please a shot, and I have zero regrets.

Bitty is absolutely adorable as a freshman college hockey player who's obsessed with baking, and is just as terrified as being checked while playing. The comic is all about fitting in, pies, friendship, hockey bros, coming out, and more pies. Much like Yuri On Ice, it's an utter delight without angst, hate or anything really dark. Sometimes that'
Ali
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I only heard about this web comic series from a friend of mine on twitter (yes we are friends in real life, and have hung out). Anyway, I knew I had to check it out because she has never given me a bad recommendation before. Right away I was pulled into Bittle's video blog (story), and just fell head over heels for him. I just think he is the cutest and he is so brave, and absolutely amazing.

Ukazu hits on some hard topics in a way that adds the emotion to her story of Bittle and hockey. But add
Christine
A baking-loving boy from Georgia enters college in the north and joins its hockey team. Hijinks follow as he assimilates into team life and develops a massive crush on another player. This volume was sweet enough that I finished it but its predictability and stereotypical characters didn't make me feel like I'd need to continue reading.

This review is based on an ARC received at BookCon.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Always Raining Here (Always Raining Here, #1)
  • Always Raining Here 02 (Always Raining Here, #2)
  • Starfighter Chapter 5 (Starfighter, #5)
  • Starfighter Chapter 4 (Starfighter, #4)
  • Starfighter Chapter 3 (Starfighter, #3)
  • Starfighter Chapter 2 (Starfighter, #2)
  • Fence, Vol. 1
  • Starfighter Chapter 1 (Starfighter, #1)
  • Sonnet
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Rock and Riot
  • R.U. Screwed
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Bloom
  • Fence, Vol. 2
  • Fence #2 (Fence, #2)
  • Fence, Vol. 3
Ngozi Ukazu is the author of the online graphic novel series Check, Please!. She studied at Yale University and the Savannah College of Art and Design. ...more

Check, Please! (6 books)