Start by marking “Paul en appartement” as Want to Read:
Paul en appartement

Paul en appartement

(Paul #3)

Quelques années ont passé et Paul se retrouve en appartement avec sa copine sur le plateau Mont-Royal à Montréal. Une œuvre définitivement urbaine, mais qui garde une fois de plus finesse, simplicité et sensibilité, autant de qualités auxquelles Michel Rabagliati nous a habitués.

Paul en appartement a été récompensé par le Grand prix de la ville de Québec du Festival de la
Published August 2008 by la Pastèque (first published May 15th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Paul en appartement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paul en appartement

Start your review of Paul en appartement
Lauren
I really enjoyed reading Michel Rabagliati's for the first time. It's a delight to read about this simple relationship so full of happiness. I'll need to do a little background research to find out how autobiographical Rabagliati's novels are. (There is a photograph at the end of the book that is in the story.) If you want to read a graphic novel that will make you feel good, pick this one up! Lovely illustrating too!
Hannah Garden
May 31, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: may-2017, comics
Hmm. Well, a comics woman I am in love with read this recently and was so bananas about it I got a copy and I . . . OK.

It's got a beeeaaaauuutiful illustration style--clean & small & bright & tidy which is like my favorite aesthetic; it's got sweetly tempered characters and a plot that just sort of hums and hems and hops along, not much of anything happening, just a little life, which is like my favorite kind of narrative.

But!!! Aaaahhh!!! It is so unfortunate that like almost
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didnt realize until I went to write up this review that this was the third book in a series. Ooops. Very readable as a standalone though, and since I picked this up second hand Im cutting myself some slack.

I liked the art in this book, and found it to be an interesting look at the Montreal art world of the 80's. The setting is made distinct by regional references and french signs and backgrounds and is both serious and comical. However it shares an issue that Tintin, the comic the book
Shannon
This doesn't carry the same weight as Paul Has a Summer Job. The graphics are well-crafted, but the story reads more like a sit-com than dramatic ficiton. More comparable to Lynn Johnston's For Better or For Worse comic strip series. While the basic themes and topics of the novel are weighty, the comic relief of a tweeting pet bird and children's antics distract from the development of the relationship of the two main characters. Not that their relationship develops much. I enjoyed reading this, ...more
Sabrina
Mar 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Canadian artist's thinly veiled auto bio comic is tightly drawn and loosely narrated with a certain casual charm. The vaguely retro panels may be explained by the author's years in the graphic design trade. The writing ambles through a series of amusing scenarios, managing to hold my interest without any strong plot line beyond the guy's fairly well adjusted coming of age. In short: No big deal of a story, but it won my heart with sheer amiability and excellent understated art.
Kate
Apr 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adorable is the only way to describe this. I really liked the animation in the book as well. The story didn't really go anywhere but it was well put together. I'd like to read other Paul stories now, reading this you get a real attachment to the characters and fall in love with them.
Dominick
Solid slice of life semi-autobiographical graphic novel. Its slice of lifeishness makes it a tad shapeless, but it has many fine moments, notably the organ panels to suggest hyperbolically moments of horror (e.g. when the rat-catcher arrives--he takes care of rats with a hammer). My favourite sequence was probably the one in which the two main characters discuss Tintin books. Nothing really stands out for me here, though, to consider it as having exceptional merit.
Matt Blair
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well done. Crafts a moving story that sneaks up on the reader through the character's mundane experiences.
Fathermocker
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Wonderful slice-of-life graphic novel. I was left wanting for more.
Michael Smith
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third in a graphic-novel series about Paul (last name unknown, I think), a young freelance graphics designer, who shares an apartment in Montreal in 1983 with Lucie, whom he met in art school but who now studies languages. This is a slice-of-life style of thing -- not a lot of “action” in the dramatic sense, no real beginning or end (just a pregnant pause). Much of the book is about how they met five or six years earlier, how they learned about each other (Wow! She reads comics!) and ...more
Jonathan Coulombe
Dec 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Here's my entry point into the acclaimed series by Rabagliati. Overall, I am left with mixed impressions. I was intrigued and enjoyed it sufficiently to read the other titles of the series, but I also hope that is not the best of it.

The story takes place in the early 80s, with Paul and his girlfriend moving into their own apartment, but is also relating via flashbacks how he met his girlfriend and part of his first steps into adulthood.

The story feels like a snapshot of normal life, with nothing
The_Mad_Swede
After having previously read Paul Goes Fishing (original French title Paul à la pêche (2006)), Paul Has a Summer Job (original French title: Paul a un travail d’été (2002)), and Paul Joins the Scouts (original French title Paul au Parc (2011)), I have now read Paul Moves Out (original French title Paul en appartement (2005)), which in a manner of speaking pretty much picks up where Paul Has a Summer Job left off.

Rabagliati's semi-autobiographical alter ego Paul goes to graphic design
Tays
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well for a Michel Rabagliati virgin, Paul Moves Out is such a delight. It was insightful, since I'm looking for a career in design myself. Quite informative if you ask me. The illustrations were pretty nice and is what I would normally expect from a comic strip. I have a feeling that this might be an autobiography with a few fictional elements to it, nevertheless this was an enjoyable read. Fictional or not, it gave me a really great time reading it. For the substance though, it's basically just ...more
Samantha
In this volume Paul moves into his first apartment with his girlfriend, attends graphic design school and babysits 2 little girl with endless energy.

I liked the simplicity of this book. Paul moves into an apartment and has very few possessions, but he is pretty happy. There's a lot of focus on how the introduction of a new professor at the design school effects the program and Paul's education as both a student and a human.

The scenes that depict Paul babysitting are among my favorite in this
Melissa Chung
This graphic novel was very strange. Almost like a semi-autobiographical look at the authors life in his early twenties. It's about a boy named Paul and a girl named Lucie who meet in college while learning the beautiful trade of graphic design. There first year was mostly learning old techniques on drawing and then they get a new gay teacher that broadens their minds with new age color drawings and logo designs. Yada yada the gay teacher enlightens them with a trip to New York to see modern art ...more
HeavyReader
This is a coming of age story about a nice, calm young man from/living in Canada. It touches on some sensitive issues (a straight guy getting hit on by his older gay teacher, a heterosexual couple moving in together, the possible desire to have children) without ever getting graphic. I understand why it was in the young adult section of the public library. But the art is really good and I did not feel disappointed when I finished reading it.
Vleegoodfellow
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Written with Rabagliati's usual rigors, but in this volume he fails to fully realize his central theme with his characteristic clarity, like he did in his first two books so brilliantly. The result is an enjoyable, but ultimately unfocused read, which you wish would have taken a few more steps into being as brilliant as the first two books, "Paul In the Country" and "Paul Has A Summer Job." An entertaining read, but not quite as emotionally rewarding.
Abby
Jan 13, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix
Not quite as great as "Paul Has a Summer Job," but still well worth reading. Rabagliati's drawing style is beautiful -- clean, graceful lines and perfectly detailed interiors that don't suffer from cramped meticulousness (is that a word?). You care about these characters, who are familiar and flawed but not as self-loathing as many others in this genre. I'm anxiously awaiting the next one, due in March 08.
Martyn
I'm enjoying this series but there is a distinct bourgeois undertone that creeps in from time to time, not to mention questionable small "p" political nuances that I find distasteful. I can't quite put my finger on what it is that puts me off though, it just feels a little reactionary at times. I certainly did not like the way that the Vietnamese family or homeless people were portrayed.
Robin
This quaint slice-of-life graphic novel depicts a young couple's experiences at design school and living together. It had potential, but I was disappointed that I didn't get to know the characters in greater depth. I won't be reading others in the series.
Kyla
Feb 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me want to head to Montreal immediately. And this was a nice change of graphic novel pace because I kept waiting for the other shoe of comic misery to drop and - it didn't. A cheerful graphic novel, how lovely.
Frank
May 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this episode of Rabagliati's fictional comics autobiography, Paul meets Lucie, gets started as a graphic designer, and moves into an apartment. This one is just as fascinatingly detailed and enjoyable as the other two.
Renee
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Purely an emotional rating from someone who fell in love with, and in, Montreal. What a sweet thrill to see the places we'd walk by daily and what a charming and delightful slice of life. It was a rough breakup but it's over and at least I have this series and my husband from it.
Steve Wilson
Clear, slightly nostalgic b/w artwork is used to tell this mini coming of age tale set in the early 1980s in Montreal. The setting transports you, Paul's youthful naivete is convincingly portrayed. This would be suitable for use with the senior grades of high school.
Zvi
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice book with the cheerful and optimistic tone and simple, charming art that Rabagliati is known for, along with some sharp observations of Montreal in the late 70s-early 80s. I found it endearing, especially the emotional transformation of a young couple near the end of the novel.
Bryanzk
sweet moment of the last pages
Liane
Loved this installment of Michel Rabagliati's Paul books. Really interesting to see the stuff about graphic art vs. graphic design, cyclical spending on Mac products.
Jeannette
Great illustrations of one of my favorite cities. Sweet diary-like reminiscing. A lovely little read for a sick day afternoon.
Emily
enjoyable and sweet. i read this next to my radiator last night.
Souzeau
not quite as memorable as some other books from this series.

• La Petite Russie
  • Les ananas de la colère
  • Querelle de Roberval
  • Ta mort à moi
  • Le Patron
  • Les petites victoires
  • Jane, the Fox, and Me
  • À l'abri des hommes et des choses
  • Automne rouge