Start by marking “Dead in the Water (Gemini, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead in the Water (Gemini, #1)

Dead in the Water

(Gemini #1)

Camille Ellis is the Earthen Conclave’s golden girl. Her peculiar talent solves cases with a touch. She isn’t afraid of getting her hands dirty, but every bright star casts a shadow, and her deepest scars lurk just beneath the skin.

A routine consultation goes sideways when a victim’s brother gets involved in the investigation. Riding the edge of grief, the warg will go to
Published January 30th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Dead in the Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead in the Water

Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Urban Fantasy/suspense
Shelves: urban-fantasy
4 Stars

Just what I was looking for - fast-paced urban fantasy at under 200 pages with Fae, wargs, and a compelling murder-mystery that I think will lead to something bigger! This is my first Hailey Edwards. The Gemini series is a spin-off and I never felt left out. I've pre-ordered the next book Head Above Water.
Belles
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z2018
Good writing, good story. I wasn't expecting to like it. I plan to continue the series.
Talltree
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: genre-pnr-uf
A gritty UF read with fantastic fae-creature worldbuilding reminescent of October Daye, Merry Gentry etc. The protagonist was the h of course who had an unusual, slightly creepy ability that I've never come across before and hides a world of true pain. She is level headed, in a position of authority given this is kind of a police proceedural, has ethics and an eye for the underdog - male or female. I liked her, felt sorry for her, at times I was frustrated that she was so level headed and cautio ...more
Lexxi Kitty
My sixth book by this author. Before this book, my average rating for this author was 3.90. After this book, my average rating for this author is 3.67.

This is both the sixth book I've read by this author and the sixth book set in the same universe. Only four of those, though, had the same main character - that being those books in the Black Dog series (and involving Thierry). Well, Thierry was in this book as well, and . . . I don't recall if she has a cameo in Mai's book. She only has a cameo i
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
~ 4 Dead in the Water Stars ~

Dead in the Water is book one in the Gemini series by Hailey Edwards. We are treated to a kick-ass heroine, a hot hero, a dangerous mission with a mystery to solve and a few unexpected twists. The author pulled me in from the first to the last page and when the ending came, I wanted the next book Head Above Water, right away.

If you have read Hailey Edwards Black Dog series then you will notice that this book takes place in the same world. Some of the characters we
RachelW (BamaGal)
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to RachelW (BamaGal) by: Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Shelves: arc
3.5 Stars. Interesting story, and overall a good read. I liked the supernatural case that was being investigated, and all the female characters (one downright bitchy). You don't often see so many central characters that are female in these kinds of stories. Cam was a good lead for the most part, but I kept wishing she would tell Vause, her fae Conclave boss off and be done with it. The story moved along at a brisk clip; and I liked all the different species being introduced, even though after aw ...more
Coco.V
Feb 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebies
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (2/18/2019)! 🎁
Kelly
I have to get this out of the way first - I am deeply enamored of the whole Graeson/Cam dynamic. DEEPLY. He might have messed up with his interactions with Cam, but the sparks they throw off when they're together make me giddy.

*draws glitter hearts around them*

So. This is a spin-off of the Black Dog series. I've only read one book in that series (although I have several percolating on the ereader) and there is some character cross-over, but nothing that will detract from the story itself if you'
Katyana
***3.5***

I wanted to like it more than I did.

I just really, really, really, really (cannot underscore enough) did not like Graeson, the giant douchebag that is positioned to be the hero/love interest. I can't stand alpha-holes, generally, though there are exceptions. But I will never ever be able to stand them when the heroine just meekly follows along with whatever the shitbag says/does/plans.

It undercuts her character. Badly.

It's fine for her to decide that he really does have the best plan an
Rhonda Hasty
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This author was another first for me and I thought this was a really good read. I 'm gonna give the next one a go.
Yellagirlgc
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I like Hailey Edwards fresh take on Gemini twins. This series flows well with her series featuring Thierry. Camille is just as likable. She wants justice even at the risk of her life. Her gypsy family life only adds another unexpected element to the book. I think this book is a start to a very good series.
I received a copy from the publisher for my review.
Jeanny
Nov 05, 2015 rated it liked it
This book counts as Cliterary Genius 2016 A to Z book challenge. Letter D
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Originally posted at SmexyBooks.com

Favorite Quote: “A kraken? In a sinkhole in Nowhere, Texas? Really?

Camille (Cam) Ellis is a particular type of fae species called a Gemini. Born with a twin, this pair has the ability to mimic others and their powers for a brief amount of time. Cam also has a special power all her own. She can tell a person’s species by a touch. No glamour can fool her. When Camille loses her twin in an accident, she drifts along in life until offered a job with the Earthen Con
Meels
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Free when I got it, and one of those rare gems! I loved it!! The world building was fantastic. The characters are great. The editing was good. I immediately bought the rest of the series, even though a friend offered to loan it to me.

Absolutely recommend to UF lovers.
Jess the Romanceaholic
I must start with a confession: I read this book immediately after reading the final book in the original series, and then picked up the sequel and read that before coming here to talk about it.

Unfortunately that means I can't give as in depth a review as I might like, because I'm afraid that I would get the details of this books mixed up slightly with one of the others.

That's said, however, I adore this universe, and indeed, everything this author writes, so it's pretty safe for me to tell you
Shelley
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
*Source* Amazon
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5

*Full Review Pending*

I'm actually ready to get on with the next installment to see what happens next. One huge gut wrenching scene has me on the edge of my seat.
Rubysbooks
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For more reviews visit http://rubys-books.blogspot.com/

*Disclaimer: I received an eARC of this book from Netgalley and CrushStar Multimedia LLC in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

It's always a pleasure going back to a favorite author, if for no other reason than knowing I'm going to enjoy reading their book. So it shouldn't surprise you when I'll say that I adored the newest book by Hailey Edwards.

Urban fantasy, with a kick-a
Ana
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it
3 stars

So, I'm definitely not having much luck with these older series of Ms. Edwards.

In this particular one, I don't like the heroine and the plot is somewhat murky. I can't comprehend the characters' actions, but I cannot explain what exactly went wrong.

I mean, the story is still well written and there are some ties to the previous series (and spoilers for them, I guess) and I liked seeing that.

Unfortunately, I kept getting pulled out of the story and I just couldn't focus on it.

All in all, I
Diane Lynch
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
Dead in the Water (Gemini #1) by Hailey Edwards Hailey Edwards is off to an incredible start with Dead in the Water the first book in the Gemini Series.  Earthen Conclave member, Agent Camille Ellis, is sent to investigate a serial murder of a supernatural child.  The most-recent victim’s brother, Cord Graeson, Beta of the Georgia Warg Pack, becomes involved with the case to seek justice for his sister.

I like Camille.  She is a Gemini, a type of Fae that is born twins. They can classify any Fae
Pam Halligan-sims
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
I don't usually write reviews, mainly as I am dyslexic and don't want to subject anyone to my poor spelling and inability to use correct punctuation but this book made me so damn angry I couldn't help it. If you cant copy with crappy spelling/grammar then please look away now.

I read this today, the writing is OK and the story should have been interested but to quote another reviewer...
"The main male was super creepy, and the male-female dynamic in that book was very off putting on so many levels
S. Usher Evans
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes, you read a book and you're like "meh." Other times, you read a story and realize that the main character is you and all your faults. On a second read, this one was the latter.

I attempted to read the third book on memory alone and realized I had no idea what was happening, so I went back and reread the first two books. I'm really glad I did. This is more than just an urban fantasy about wolf-shifters (TBH - not usually my thing). It's about two people who are reeling from the deaths o
Linda
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Camille is investigating a series of murder when she crosses paths with not just a Warg but a Mermaid, and both will play a big part in solving the case.
Someone is targeting and killing young children, and this brings back memories from Camilles childhood that she really doesnt want to think about, but it turns out to be vital to the case.
PNR Suspense, action and emotions in a great combination and I cant wait for the next book!
Disclaimer; I was given a free copy in exchange for an honest rev
Kristen
Jan 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
I’m so sick to death of reading about these bullying alphas who do whatever they want (including kidnapping and lying and extortion) and the female lead finds an excuse to tolerate it. What. The. Fuck. It’s not “sexy” or any other positive adjective; it’s flat out misogynistic and abusive and I’m tired of it being used to further a plot line. Yuck.

There was a decent premise to this book. I didn’t hate the females characters, but reading further and seeing them used as doormats really irritated
Jenny Wallace
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm not sure which part of this book was more frustrating - the many issues with the plot or the completely unlikable love interest who has no concept of personal space or appropriate behavior.

A Beginner's Guide to Necromancy is fun. I'm going to just skip the rest of the author's earlier work.
Ashley Martinez (ilovebooksandstuffblog)
Mysterious and magical this story was easy to get sucked into. I loved how unique it was with so many different paranormal species and powers. It was a unique blend that left me wanting more. I enjoyed Camille's character and loved hearing her story. With so many new and exciting species I'm excited to discover more about this world and the mystery that still remains!
I received a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Alicia
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

An unexpected treat. It took me a little while to fully immerse myself in the world, but once I did I was able to get lost in the mystery. 4.5
Anita
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
So, I wish I'd know this reading order (from the author's website) before I started reading this series:
Dog with a Bone (The Black Dog Prequel)
Dog Days of Summer (A Black Dog Short Story – Thrown to the Wolves Anthology)
Heir of the Dog (Black Dog, Book 1)
Lie Down with Dogs (Black Dog, Book 2)
Old Dogs, New Tricks (Black Dog, Book 3)
Stone-Cold Fox (A Black Dog Novella
Dead in the Water (Gemini, Book 1)
Head Above Water (Gemini, Book 2)
Hell or High Water (Gemini, Book 3)
Fish Out of Water (A Gemini No
Natille
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Huh. Pleasantly surprised!

Needless to say I have run into some series on Amazon that aren't quite up to par on what I think is a good read, but when I stumbled on this book I had started two different book series that left me utterly disappointed. It came to a huge surprise that not only was the storyline intriguing, but the characters had depth as well, and I was immediately drawn into an all night bender. I finished it but decided to hold off on my review since I have been fooled with a specta
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was ok

I Dont understand most of what i just read.... I got the gist that there is a Baddie fae killing kids and a Gemini fae is helping some kind of fae authority to catch or identify him, there is also a hot dominant wolf who fancies her/is using her to avenge his sister.....

So i don't really understand the world i was just dropped into, nor do i know each and every fae species in this novel and what this author wants its qualities to be the only one is partially explained the Gemini. I was completel
Saly
Dec 24, 2017 rated it liked it
This one didn't grab me as much and I had trouble finishing this. Maybe I need a slight break from this author.
  • Pain (Darwin's Theory, #1)
  • Precinct 13
  • Blade Dance (Cold Iron, #4)
  • Moon Broken (Wolf Wars, #2)
  • Black In White (Quentin Black Mystery, #1)
  • Night Blade (Colbana Files, #2)
  • Trial by Thrall (Trial Series, #2)
  • Heart of Malice (Alice Worth, #1)
  • Cold Hard Secret  (Secret McQueen, #7)
  • Hoofin' It (Magical Romantic Comedies, #2)
  • Inner Demon (The Asylum Tales #3.3)
  • The Brimstone Deception (SPI Files, #3)
  • Struck (Phoebe Meadows, #1)
  • Haunted Wolves (Green Pines, #2)
  • Give It All (Desert Dogs, #2)
  • Iron Night (Generation V, #2)
  • The Trouble With Fate (Mystwalker, #1)
  • Tatterdemalion (Foundations of Magic, #1)
Hailey Edwards writes about questionable applications of otherwise perfectly good magic, the transformative power of love, the family you choose for yourself, and blowing stuff up. Not necessarily all at once. That could get messy. She lives in Alabama with her husband, their daughter, and a herd of dachshunds.

Gemini (6 books)
  • Head Above Water (Gemini, #2)
  • Hell or High Water (Gemini, #3)
  • Promise the Moon (Lorimar Pack #1)
  • Wolf at the Door (Lorimar Pack, #2)
  • Over the Moon (Gemini #6)
“You don’t play fair.” He placed his hand at the small of my back and pressed. “Fair doesn’t taste like bacon.” 1 likes
“The idea of a random stranger walking up to me one day and saying, 'Hey, baby, you smell like forever. Let's do it,' isn't all that appealing honestly.” 1 likes