Start by marking “The Iron Phoenix (Storm's Quarry, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Iron Phoenix (Storm's Quarry, #1)

The Iron Phoenix (Storm’s Quarry #1)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  54 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Seventeen-year-old Nadya Gabori lives a life of secrets in the island city of Storm’s Quarry. By day, she is the dutiful Nomori daughter, but by night, she sprints across rooftops, testing her abilities of speed and strength, abilities no normal girl should have. And she keeps her growing feelings for her friend Kesali from her conservative family. If her secrets were disc ...more
Published May 17th 2016 by Bold Strokes Books

To ask other readers questions about The Iron Phoenix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Iron Phoenix

Lex Kent
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 Stars. I have been wanting to read this for a while. I love fantasy novels, and don't mind if they are dark and gritty, which this is for sure at times. YA novels on the other hand, are not always my favorite, but I have had good luck with YA/NA fantasy books. With Book 2, Phoenix Rising, coming out shortly, I figured it was time to finally read this. I did enjoy this read, it just had a few issues that stopped me from rating it higher.

The main character is 17 year old, Nadya. Nadya is a N
Jem
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, gifted-girls
This book has all the ingredients for a top-notch YA fantasy--an imaginative premise, amazing world-building, vivid story-telling, gripping issues and conflicts, furious action scenes and some of the most distinctive characters I've ever read. But...and it's a rather big BUT, the sum of all the promising parts doesn't exactly equal a truly enjoyable whole.

Storm's Quarry is an island city appropriately named for always being perenially wet. Regulary buttressed by rainstorms, the inhabitants have
Lexxi Kitty
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and Bold Strokes Books for an honest review.

There is a neat detailed book here set in a fantasy world. The reader is only given a view of one city on the planet but other locations are briefly named at times. Those other locations are just that though, names.

Years before the start of this book, a nomadic tribe became aware of a 'Great Storm' and sought shelter in a specific city. For various reasons the rulers of the city offered the nomadic people a
Tony Hisgett
Feb 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, review
It took a long time to get into this book, part of the problem was the main heroine Nadya, she didn’t excite me and to be honest I didn’t really like her. The indecision and angst just became annoying. Also the whole feel of the story was just so miserable it was depressing to read.
In the end although Nadya becomes more likable I began to like the story less and less. I really dislike plots where the hero/heroine has their mind controlled by the Villain.

Nolly  Sepulveda
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great story! Really liked the characters and the storyline was really interesting. I would have liked to know abit more about the Nomori and their beliefs just to understand better Drina's attitude towards the Erevan people. Hope there's more to come for Nadya and Kesali as well as the people of Storm Quarry.
Amanda Jasper
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rebecca Harwell is an amazing writer. She's created a fascinating world and deep and unforgettable characters. I love this book with all my heart and I hope everyone reading this review gets a chance to check it out.
Henry Lazarus
Jun 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Storm’s Quarry is an underground city of two cultures, joined by survival needs against the huge storms that occasionally beset. The Nomori were gypsies whose people frequently come with powers. The Everan rule the city and took in the Nomori because one of them prophesied a major storm’s beginning and end. Kesali has gotten her grandmother’s powers of Prophesy and is engaged to the Duke’s son in an effort to unit the two peoples. Her best friend, Nadya Gabori, has been hiding her unusual Captai ...more
ankita
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, lgbtq, ya-lit
This book, and series, has a lot of promise. At first the story was a little slow but it started picking up and got intriguing. Just needs a little bit of polishing and it would've been even better.

"I think of your smile and the way the firelight reflects off the amber flecks in your eyes. I think of your hands and their warmth and how I wish for you to hold me and never let go. I think of everything that could be and everything that won't be, and it hurts."

I loved that not only was the protago
Kelsey
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: age-ya, age-adult
Rebecca Harwell has created such a vivid and captivating world full of rich details, interesting characters, and realistic political and social issues. I was continuously kept in anticipation throughout this thrilling story.
In the following novels, I greatly look forward to seeing how (and if) Storm's Quarry recovers from the tragedy of the Blood Sun Solstice, as well as the progression of the Nadya and her friends and family as they learn to cope with her powers. I would also love to learn mor
Sascha Broich
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a story. Our hero is plagued by the deaths she brings, terrified of her own strength. All the while she loves a girl who is betrothed to the son of the city ruler - for the peace and future of the citizens.
Confronted with machinations from the highest magistrate to the lowest outlaw. Fearing the wrath of her people if they ever find out what she is, she struggles to stop the riots without revealing herself.
I hope Nadya's story continues in the next book. Otherwise it would feel like you ar
TJ Burns
I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Neil
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, fantasy
I received a free copy via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.
This book has great characters and is based in a wonderful world.
A really good read.
Jul 25, 2018
JaimeL
Jul 05, 2018
Cynthia
rated it did not like it
Sep 21, 2017
Ariadna
Jan 21, 2018
Michael
Jul 28, 2018
Rebecca Harwell grew up in small-town Minnesota and spent most of her childhood reading fantasy novels and comic books, obsessing over people who don't actually exist, and writing novels for fun. Despite becoming an official adult last year, nothing much has changed. She is currently studying creative writing and Japanese at Knox College with an eye on getting her master's degree in library scienc ...more
More about Rebecca Harwell

Storm’s Quarry (3 books)
  • Phoenix Rising (Storm's Quarry, #2)
  • Shadow of the Phoenix (Storm's Quarry, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Twilight / Life and Death (Twilight, #1, 1.75)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)
  • The Last
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Thousandth Floor (The Thousandth Floor, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3)
  • Red Country
  • The Historian
  • The Girl Who Drank the Moon
    $15.95 $1.99
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Obsidian Son (The Temple Chronicles, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49