Start by marking “The Courageous Brides Collection” as Want to Read:
The Courageous Brides Collection

The Courageous Brides Collection

(Barbour Bride Collections)

Ride into adventures alongside nine determined women of yesteryear whose acts of compassion and bravery attract male attention. Marcy helps displaced Indians. Emmy tends wounds at Fort Snelling. Ronnie stows away on a cattle drive. Daisy disguises herself as a Pony Express rider. Elinor becomes an abolitionist. Mae tames wild horses. Hannah gets help for accident victims. ...more
Published July 1st 2016 by Barbour Books

To ask other readers questions about The Courageous Brides Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Courageous Brides Collection

Pegg
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
There were some AWESOME stories in this collection! Well worth the money for the book, even though there were three stories I didn't finish. My two favorites were "The Doctor's Woman" by Michelle Griep and "The Battlefield Bride" by Renee Yancy. These collections are starting to grow on me. I'm not - in general - a fan of short fiction, but when it's done well, it is are a pleasure to read.
Sharon
The Healing Promise by Johnnie Alexander *** I Liked It
This is light entertainment that can nearly be read in a single sitting. I think there is potential to develop this story into something with more substance.

The Doctor's Woman by Michelle Griep ***** It Was Amazing
This author is a master storyteller; every one of her books that I've read has been great. The heroine of this book's title is delightfully feisty... the hero, naturally, cannot help but fall for her and he has what it takes to w
Becky
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Barbour Books puts out collections of novellas that are just the ticket to fill a random hour or two when you don't have the time or inclination to take on a whole novel. Every now and again I need to lighten up my reading with a less-than-serious story, and the Courageous Brides Collection fills that bill to a T. There are nine stories by vetted authors that take the readers back in history and enjoy a few moments of light reading.

Most of the stories are great, there was only one that was too
Rebecca
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Novella collections often provide instant gratification for those seeking to read favored authors, but they also pleasantly introduce a plethora of writers who rarely publish full length manuscripts. "The Courageous Brides Collection" is no exception and is a splendid example of why these groupings can work to everyone's advantage.

Having read and appreciated books by Johnnie Alexander and Michelle Griep, their contributions to this volume, "The Healing Promise" and "The Doctor's Woman"proved to
Sunnie
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nine historical novellas of women who face life head-on, with faith and courage. I really enjoyed the nine different stories of strong women in situations that test their abilities, their faith and each is different and unique.

They each have a different story to tell about their lives is their beautiful historical settings in the 1800s. Being as they are novellas and not full length, it was nice to be able to read an enjoyable story of a shorter length when time was a bit limited.

Each woman show
Amy
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Courageous Brides Collection is collection of nine stories. These stories include:
The Healing Promise by Johnnie Alexander
The Encumbered Bride by Donita Kathleen Paul
Mountain Echoes by Jennifer Uhlarik
Letters from Lucy by Jenness Walker
The Battlefield Bride by Renee Yancy
Almost every one of these authors I hae never read before or even heard of and I am def
Lori
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of short novellas dedicated to Courageous Brides and their stories. This is the type of book that I like to read while waiting to pick up my son from school or a quick read before bed. They are fun to read and short. Most of the stories I liked like the Doctor's Woman. A couple I had a hard time finishing but everyone has different tastes. They are full of adventure for women in the 1800's. So if you are like me, and sometimes have only time to read a short romantic adventur ...more
Christy
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks to Barbour Publishing Via NetGalley I was given a ebook to read and review The Courageous Brides. 9 Historical romances. Okay so here goes! :)
1. The Healing Promise ~~ Johnnie Alexander
Nebraska May 22, 1877 Marcy has a gentle heart. She is new to the frontier life. She hasn't gotten used to it yet and wonders if she ever will. Joel is a farmer who takes care of his little sister. Joel comes for Marcy one day and asked her to help out the Ponca's. He's not sure if she will since her beau
Sara Brooks
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a mix of great and mediocre stories. In this collection’s defense I do read a LOT so it takes more than just a run-of-the-mill love story to stick with me after the last page. I would recommend this collection to anyone who enjoys short escapes from reality by way of sweet, clean romance.

The Healing Promise by Johnnie Alexander – 4 stars
Marcy and Joel set out to help a Ponca child who is sick when most of their town is prejudice against the natives. I felt this story is a little too bare
Andrea Boyd
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First of all, the book itself is quite lovely. I have never seen a paperback like this one. It’s more like a hardcover. This book has nine stories. Nine! Okay, to the writing. 5 stars

I have listed the stories according to how well I liked them—not how they are listed in the book.
The best of books will have me laughing out loud as well as tearing up. If an author can do that with a novella, that is really something. That was the case of The Battlefield Bride by Renee Yancy. This seriously could h
Tima
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nine women in historical America find courage during dangerous or uncertain times. Their courage helps others and shows God's compassionate love. It also brings them to the attention of men who will see their hearts and love them for their spirit and adventure. Each story is connected by the theme and is written by separate authors. They are all set in historical settings and showcase woman who are willing to step out of social norms or go against the trend to show compassion and love to others. ...more
Dana Michael
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book, ya'll. Its gorgeous! I have the paperback and I was blown away by the pages and the cover. The publisher did a great job of packaging it. But, let me get to the stories. I have read just the first two and I had to go ahead and leave a review. There are 9 historical short stories in all in this collection. So, it is a really good deal. I loved the first two stories by Johnnie Alexander and Michelle Griep. These stories left me saying "awe" they were sweet and precious and got me in the ...more
Sandra
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I won this in a giveaway and one of the authors (Rose Allen McCauley) sent it to me. This is the first of this type of collection I have read. There are a bunch of them published by Barbour Publishing. I've got a lot of them lined up to read in the near future.

These stories grab your interest and hold it throughout. The characters, story line and settings are nicely developed for short stories. I loved each story enough that I kept wishing each one could be expanded to a full length novel. These

Lois
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I won this book on Petticoats & Pistols from one of the authors, Jennifer Uhlarik. I really enjoyed all the 9 stories about these brides, they showed strength, courage, wit & the hardships that they encountered to find the men that they were to marry during the civil war & the west as our country was growing. I really liked Mountain Echoes by Jennifer Uhlarik, as she wrote about helping a deaf boy & her injured cowboy in the mountains after a accident on the stagecoach. This book ...more
Deborha Mitchell
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Saddle up!

A book filled with adventure after adventure. I admit, I wanted this book because Michelle Griep had a story in it....but I found that it's filled with other great stories by talented authors. I love reading stories that focus on strong women, especially from times past. Strength, courage, faith, love....you will find them all and much more. I highly recommend that you saddle up and read it for yourself!

I was given a copy of this book by NetGalley in return for my honest review.
Carol
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This collection of novellas show skill and immense creativity throughout. Each novella gives you instant satisfaction before moving onto the next story line which is as good as the last one or even better. The stories are well crafted and they each stand alone and pull you in instantly, which is a delightful surprise, that it would happen not once, not twice, but nine times. As Oliver Twist would say, "Please sir, may I have another?"
Lucinda
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read Michelle Griep's story The Doctor's Woman and loved it. Emmy is spirited and strong and she tried to do the right thing, sometimes putting herself in peril. James, well James was a great leading man and I'm glad he learned what was really more important in the end.
Although it's a novella, the characters are well developed and the story is satisfying. As usual, the imagery is fantastic.
Michelle Griep
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Besides the fact that one of the stories in this collection is mine, there are some AWESOME authors in this collection. Love stories of brave heroines who aren't afraid to do what's necessary? Then this is the book for you!
Robbie
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The following are the titles and authors in The Courageous Brides Collection: Compassionate Heroism Attracts Male Suitors to Nine Spirited Women:

The Healing Promise by Johnnie Alexander, The Doctor’s Woman by Michelle Griep, An Everlasting Promise by Eileen Key, Love on the Run by Debby Lee, Hidden Courage by Rose Allen McCauley, The Encumbered Bride by Donita Kathleen Paul, Mountain Echoes by Jennifer Uhlarik, Letters from Lucy by Jenness Walker and The Battlefield Bride by Renee Yancy.

I enjoy
Kelly Tyree
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Courageous Brides Collection is a wonderful collection of stories of women and the men that love them. All were hopeful and inspiring. They are all written by talented authors so they are well written. They also featured different subjects. I would read one and say that is my favorite only to read the next one and claim that as my new favorite. A great book to read and keeps you engaged.
Julynn
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very enjoyable collection of stories that inspired, entertained and delighted my heart. One of the 9 was not my favorite but all the rest were top notch. Loved the journeys of adventure, overcoming hardship, faith, and love. Well done ladies!
Theresa
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed

I enjoyed this collection of novellas because I was able to find new authors too follow. I chose this collection because I want to read all of Michelle Griep's books and not only did I get to read hers but found several other authors to check out their other books as well.
Kristen Lake
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
There is very little character development. The only difference between the characters was their names.
Megan Besing
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
A solid collection.
Lots of stories centered around wartime.
My favorite out of the collections was The Encumbered Bride by Donita Kathleen Paul.
Yvette (bookworlder)
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is another fantastic historical fiction novella collection from Barbour with nine stories of grief, courage, and (gasp) riding astride. Stories of farmers, Indians, cattle drives, rustlers, frontier doctors, Pony Express riders, Pinkerton agents, criminals, and greedy land-grabbers, a romance between former slaves, a cute kid here and there, and some dime store novels to boot!

If you enjoy historical fiction set in the American West, this is a great collection. If you enjoy stories that incl
Susan Snodgrass
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a great collection of novellas, 9 in all, that are set in the late 19th century. 'Compelled by compassion and bravery, these women take action beyond expectation, attracting the attention of eligible bachelors. Christian fiction, all of them. I especially enjoyed Michelle Griep's contribution. I love her writing and Donita K. Paul is very good, too. The others I had never read before. Great summer read.

*I was provided with a copy of this book by Net Galley in exchange for my review.
Rebekah
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this collection, the first few were the best, and the last were great, so don't stop somewhere in the middle! Interesting settings and mostly well developed romances. Could hardly put this collection down! Felt like this collection had some of the best female leads, just admirable characters. Very happy and well worth the price! Some of my favorite characters and interactions of all the collections so far!
Katy Kauffman
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, fiction
I loved this collection of stories. I bought it because I know Johnnie Alexander, and then I discovered other great authors. I didn't want there to be only nine stories! The characters were likeable, and the stories were touching. Definitely a great read.
Wendy
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
LOVE The Courageous Brides Collection, especially author Renee Yancy contribution!
Laura Walker
Jun 21, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Christian Book Gi...: Giveaway: Courageous Brides Collection ends 10/14 1 9 Oct 12, 2016 09:27AM

• A Texas Brides Collection
  • The Homestead Brides Collection: 9 Pioneering Couples Risk All for Love and Land
  • The Convenient Bride Collection
  • Stitched with Love Collection
  • The Christmas Brides Collection: 9 Historical Romances Promise Love Fulfilled at Christmastime
  • The Alaska Brides Collection: Five Romances Persevere in the Alaska Wilderness
  • The Bartered Bride Collection
  • The Westward Christmas Brides Collection: 9 Historical Romances Answer the Call of the American West
  • Quest for Celestia: A Reimagining of the Pilgrim's Progress
  • Of Rags and Riches Romance Collection
  • The Aristocrat's Lady
  • Perfectly Matched (The Blue Willow Brides, #3)
  • A Patchwork Christmas Collection
  • The Matchmaker Brides Collection: Nine Matchmakers Have the Tables of Romance Turned on Them
  • The Piano Girl, Part 1 (Counterfeit Princess #1)
  • Purple Moon
  • Highland Crossings (Romancing America)
  • My Heart Belongs in the Blue Ridge: Laurel's Dream
Johnnie Alexander creates characters you want to meet and imagines stories you won't forget.

Her award-winning debut novel, Where Treasure Hides (Tyndale), made the CBA bestseller list. Her contemporary romance novels include Where She Belongs, When Hope Arrives, and What Hope Remembers.

She currently writes cozy mysteries and contemporaries for Annie's Fiction and historical novellas for Barbour.

Barbour Bride Collections (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • The Immigrant Brides Collection
  • A Texas Brides Collection
  • The Farmer's Bride Collection: 6 Romances Spring from Hearts, Home, and Harvest
  • The Lighthouse Brides Collection: 6 Romances Develop at Historic Light Stations
  • The British Brides Collection
  • The Bartered Bride Collection
  • The Beaches and Brides Romance Collection: 5 Historical Romances Buoyed by the Sea
  • The Brides of Chance Collection