Start by marking “Cornered Magic (The Void, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cornered Magic (The Void, #1)

Cornered Magic

(The Void #1)

Sam, a half-fae Void, is ostracized by her own people, much less the humans who control her home—the Illinois Mystical Reservation. Packed into the Reservation with vampires, werewolves, faes, and mages alike, Sam does her best to travel below the radar, but when her only friend asks for her help she can’t say no. Her work to solve a fae’s murder brings her to the forefron ...more
Published November 1st 2015 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about Cornered Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cornered Magic

Minx -The Genre Minx Book Reviews
This was a dystopian fantasy where the Fae are not revered and are treated more with disdain than admiration. At the bottom of that heap is Sam as she is a Void. A half-fae who can take the magical properties from another super natural which makes her very unpopular within the supernatural community.

I really enjoyed the story and how we see Sam's plight within her community. It definitely made me mad for her. I did not like how she was treated and I am hoping that her dad gets a dose of his abu
Runningrabbit
I really enjoyed this and consider that I probably enjoyed book 2 more. The strength of the main character is both credible and finely crafted together with great world building and a good plot.
E.M. Swift-Hook
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Life on a supernatural reservation.

‘While she might forget someone’s face or name, she never forgot their power-flavor.’

Samantha Gollet is a fae who has to live on a reservation with other supernaturals, such as mages, werewolves and vampires. She has a lot of problems, some that any regular teen could relate to like issues with her parents and a rather over-protective boyfriend. But some that come from her supernatural heritage. As a Void - one who steals energy and ability from others - she is
Pam Nelson
Audiobook’s that are short usually don’t appeal to me because I think oh the story will be rushed but no I didn’t feel like that with Cornered Magic at all.

We really got a feel for who Sam is and what she is about. We learn of her gift and how she almost fears it, what she has to live with. It isn’t easy to be what she is but she is doing the best that she can.
We get a little mystery going on and it sucks you into the story, I want more. It wasn’t enough but I never felt like the story was lac
Kelly Bedford
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this novella. The descriptions of characters and scenes put you right in the middle of the action, and you really feel for the main character and what she's going through. The ending was abrupt and makes you want to immediately go buy the next in the series. I hope Sam harnesses her power and comes out on top for once. I'm very curious to know more about her world.
Geoff Habiger
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
What if there really were fae, vampires, werewolves, and wizards in the world? And what if these people were all placed in reservations to keep them away from regular humans? That's the basic setting for Cornered Magic, by Charissa Dufour. Sam is a half-fae who's family avoids her, her father detests her, and the rest of the fae and other supernatural denizens of the Reservation fear her. Why? Because Sam is a Void - a fae who's power is to steal the powers of other fae. Sam wporks hard to contr ...more
Susan
I really like Samantha’s character. She’s fae, but not quite fae enough. On top of that, she’s a rare and usually shunned type of fae, a Void. Her special power allows her to steal energy from others (though she tries hard not to). With few friends and a parent who belittles her every day, Sam treasures her friendship with Amber. Sam also has a boyfriend, Chad, who she doesn’t really click with but so few people hang out with her, that she feels obligated to give Chad a chance.

Then in steps Roma
Jennifer G
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Cornered Magic is a novella set in a world where paranormals are known and must live trapped in a reservation. The conditions of the res are horrible; crowded and poverty-stricken. There is no privacy and little food. Within this terrible place, Samantha lives a shunned life. She is a Void. Born with no magic of her own she can only steal from others. She tries to control this, and mostly does with considerable difficulty, but she is still hated by most, including her own father. Sam has a boyfr ...more
Norman Turrell
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A believably presented dystopian fantasy world

Charissa builds her world and her characters in a very believable and readable manner in this introductory novella.

Separated from humans, vampires, werewolves, mages and the fae live in a restricted reservation, severely limited in resources and accommodation. On top of this, our protagonist—Sam—has a gift which is shunned by her own people, leaving her isolated, with only a few companions. The intrigue begins when the vampires recruit her because of
Bette H
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Story! Great Audible Listen🎧 4.5 Terrific Stars🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Cornered Magic
The Void Series, Book 1

By: Charissa Dufour
Narrated by: Janelle Tedesco

This is an imaginative, well written, well told story, a great beginning of a new paranormal/fantasy series. Charisma DuFour creates an interesting world and characters. The storylines are original and grab your attention from the start and holds it to the end, making you wonder what is going to happen next. The character development is great, as is the de
T R
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing

What starts out with Sam staying in her room because she is a Void and they were a nuisance to the fae community. Fae’s had certain powers and Voids, on the other hand, had nothing but the ability to drain another of their powers. But Sam had a tattoo, and along with a power of the crafter of it, she could control her powers. A gift to her, ostracized her from others. She is also ostracized by humans who are in control of her home—a mystical reservation. Right away I connect with Sam; I feel for
Elizabeth Robbins
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first story I've read by this author, but it won't be the last. Cornered Magic is not your typical urban fantasy, where the strange beings live among us, either in secret, or in the open. Unfortunately, I think Dufour is correct in her portrayal of the human propensity to either cage or destroy anything they fear. If supernatural creatures did ever come out in the open, humans would probably put them in reservations, guarded and oppressed. I found the main character, Sam, likable and ...more
Annie
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a first for me. from this author.. and it did not disappoint! I loved the idea of this story.. a Blog about dating mishaps.. and the whole lotta frogs title... Very clever! The main character Lennox was a bit annoying with her whole.. Oh you stood me up jilted act.. Even after she received an explanation of why.. but it all turned out ok.. and overall this was a really good listen! Heather does a great job bringing this book too life and I loved the opportunity to listen and review this ...more
Jocelyne
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was my first Charissa Dufour's book. Cornered Magic is the first book in The Void Series. This novella is a great introduction to this Series. The world building is well described, and intriguing. Sam is a great character, and the other characters are interesting. I can't wait for the next book in the Series. The narration is well done. Janelle Tedsco has a great voice, well paced, and easy to understand. All the characters are easy to distinguish. I received this free review copy audiobook ...more
Mandy
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I asked for this book for free but the review is of my own. Sam is half fairy and half human but the true problem of this in her community is being a void were one can take and even kill another magical creature by taking their powers. Sam tries avoiding using her gift until one day there seems to be no choice and than her life is changed forever. This story definitely leaves you with an open ending and a wild ride.
William Howe
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Not a book

This is more the first part of a book, establishing characters and motivations but lacking real substance.

Clean prose (no major spelling or grammar errors) and well written dialogue.

Depressing, since it only establishes the main character’s situation.

It’s not bad, it’s just not good.

I will not be following this series. I prefer my novels to contain a full story. Even a novella should have more story than this did.
C.A. King
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
All supernatural individuals have been corralled into reservations in this paranormal novella. Sam, a local resident, has an unusual gifts - stealing power from others. Living a life in the straight and narrow isn't easy and becomes much more difficult when a vampire walks into her life.

This is one of those reads where you need to get the next book! I look forward to seeing how Sam's saga plays out!
Rick Yvanovich
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Was not sure if I'd like this book but once I started I found it hard to put down even if it's a genre I'd not usually read. Ok so I was on a plane so maybe that made me be more persistent at the start and then found it hard to put down.

It's an interesting read and I want to read the next book to see how the characters shape up.

Disclosure: I was offered a free copy of this book by the author in return for an honest review.
Amy
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-complete, own
I found this story to be a great introduction to a new series that I will continue. The main character was engaging and well rounded. The details of the world were enough to give you knowledge but not bog down the story. The secondary characters had purpose and added to moving to plot forward. I cannot wait to see what is next for Sam.

(Audiobook-from Audible) I will add that I also enjoyed the narration of this book. The narrators voice and flow fit the character and the dialogue.
Amanda Forry-Fino
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Cornered Magic wad a GREAT read! Lot's of pl0t twish and trurns that wanting me read more. Sam grew up in a uphappy home being a haft-fae void that set out to help friend in need getting Sam way over her head. I thoght it was neat that mages alike was living together having conflick among each other.

This is my frist book that I've read by Charissa Dufour and I just love her amazing story telling. I can not wait to read what will happen next in The Void Series!!!~
Catrina
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This short really sets the stage for what could be a phenomenal series. The characters and setting are well developed. I really like the setup. I’ll be anxiously awaiting the next book in The Void Series!

Both the author and narrator are new to me. They make a great team and I look forward to their next releases.

I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and I have voluntarily left this review.
Shannon Risdon
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not sure

This book looked interesting and it didn't really disappoint. An ostracized girl that does what she can, even at her own expense and it results in more angst and you are not sure on who does what and why...at least in this part. The ending was rather abrupt but certainly leaves you wanting more.
Brigitta Moon
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved the ending

My first thought when I started this book was I wasn't going to like it. I was absolutely wrong. Suddenly I couldn't put it down. At 3 a.m. I finished the book and felt compelled to add my 5 stars. I recommend this book to readers looking for a fresh story about vampires, werewolfs and other mystical forms.
Maria
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Interesting story. I just wished it explained the reason the Res. was started more that because it became illegal to be mystic, and wished the story was longer. But I enjoyed it enough to buy books 2 & 3.
Nicoletta
Feb 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
Abgebrochen
Brooke
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Wow. This books is amazing! The only thing I have to say that is the tiniest negative is that it has a cliffhanger. I need to know what happens next!
Gina-Leigh
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book !!
Margit
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A different world

It is a very interesting book. I read it all at once without a break and I was ready for the next book.
Julie Powell
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable start to the Void series, where Sam must deal with her unfortunate gift, which forces her to live a solitary life. She has few friends and a father who hates her, and in addition, is despised by the majority of the fae, who are kept strictly separate from humans.

Some intriguing characters and a plot that has you guessing...where will it all end? What will Sam do? It will be interesting to see how it develops.

Well-written and fast-paced.

Recommended.
Llaph | No Frill | No Shill
If you are looking for a quick read with an interesting story steeped a bit into the paranormal world that has a dash of fairy to it you might like this book. I wasn't completely enamored with it and could predict somethings a bit too easy, but it was still an enjoyable respite from more serious reads .
It reminded me of The Santeria Habitat series by Kenya Wright:
I love that series and wish there were more books in it to be honest. The concept of imprisoni
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • I Was a Teenage Weredeer (Bright Falls Mysteries, #1)
  • Fade
  • Anubis Nights (Jonathan Shade, #4)
  • Fire Water (Black Magic Outlaw #5)
  • Dead Stare (Ghosts & Magic, #3)
  • Club Nexus (Ivy Granger, #2.5)
  • Blood Moon Magick
  • Fade Rippers (Galefire, #1)
  • Graveyard Shift
  • The Skinwalker Conspiracies (Dead Eye #2)
  • Heart of Gold (Clans of Shadow, #1)
  • The Hunted (Hunter Circles, #1)
  • Cold Hearted (Yancy Lazarus #2)
  • Phoenixburn (The Rogue Witch #3)
  • A Witch's Concern (Witch for Hire #4)
My journey to become a writer began in 8th grade, when I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and pulled from school to recover. During this time, I was left alone for hours on end and it was then that I discovered new friends within the pages of books. I also learned the blessing of creating my own friends by writing down the stories that plagued my lonely mind—as demented as that sounds. ...more

The Void (3 books)
  • Misguided Allies (The Void, #2)
  • Balanced Chaos (The Void, #3)