Start by marking “Saving Abby” as Want to Read:
Saving Abby

Saving Abby

All children’s book illustrator Claire Turner ever wanted was to be a mother. After six years of trying to conceive, she and her husband, Josh, have finally accepted that she will never be pregnant with a child of their own.

Yet once they give up hope, the couple gets the miracle they’ve been waiting for. For the first few months of her pregnancy, Claire and Josh are living
Paperback, first, 274 pages
Published May 31st 2016 by lake union publishing

To ask other readers questions about Saving Abby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saving Abby

Deanna
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

2.75 - 3 stars

I am a big Steena Holmes fan. The Word Game, The Memory Child, and the Finding Emma series are some of my favorite books. So I was very excited to read this book.

Claire Turner and her husband Josh have been married for seven years. Together they write children's books that have become quite popular. Currently they are traveling throughout Europe researching ideas for their books. However, it's not the only rea
Suzanne Leopold (Suzy Approved Book Reviews)
Claire and Josh Turner have been married for six years. They work together writing and illustrating a series of children’s books. Both have always wanted children of their own, but have been unsuccessful in starting a family.

Together they embark on a trip to Europe visiting many cities. They use this time to explore ideas for their next book. Together, they realize that their dreams of raising their own children is not in their foreseeable future.

After the trip they find out that Claire is preg
Brenda
Claire Turner and her husband Josh had enjoyed their latest holiday – picking up ideas for their adventure series about a young Jack and his travels. Josh was a writer of children’s stories while Claire did the illustrations – together they were a very successful team. But they both felt a deep sadness, especially Claire. Unable to conceive after trying everything, she and Josh had finally decided to let go of the long-held dream of holding their own child in their arms once and for all.

Back in
Elaine
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
I normally really enjoy Steena Holmes but this one just left me cold and I found it a struggle to finish it. Claire and Josh have been trying for years to have a baby, without success but as soon as they “give up” trying, a miracle occurs and Claire falls pregnant and it looks as though their lives will finally be complete. However, as Claire’s health deteriorates it is a double edged sword, as they soon discover in this story which is quite heartbreaking at times.

It is a story which, once you
sue

Steena Holmes, when she writes books like this that are straight from the heart just creeps right inside to the readers heart and life blood, you tend to just take these characters in and want to hug them, keep them safe from harm and enjoy all the little bits of excitement of life they do, their smiles, their disappointments, their heartaches, their survival techniques.

Claire is a children's book illustrator and her husband is a children's story teller.
They work well together.
You go on their a
MaryAnn
Apr 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Steena Holmes has long been one of my favorite authors and in Saving Abby, she's given us another great look into family life that will certainly leave readers reaching for tissues.

The premise of the novel, Claire and Josh trying for 6 years to have a child and taking a trip to let go of their dream of Claire being pregnant with their child, is definitely one that pulls on the heartstrings. I realized early on that Claire was pregnant, having gotten pregnant just as they relaxed and finally gav
Sue
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There was no dinner cooked at my house yesterday - once I started this wonderful book by Steena Holmes, nothing got done until I was finished with it. I have read all of Steena's books and she just keeps getting better. She is one of the best writer's of family relationship issues of any authors that I read and I thought that this was her best book yet.

Claire and Josh Turner have been happily married for six years. He is the author of a successful series of children's book and she is the illustr
Erin Clemence
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free electronic ARC of this novel, in exchange for an honest review.
“Saving Abby” by Steena Holmes is heart wrenching, emotional and bittersweet. Claire and her husband Josh, have tried for years to have children. After being declared infertile, Claire and Josh travel the world and find success as writers of children’s books. When Claire begins to suffer headaches and extreme fatigue, a trip to the doctor’s office reveals that she and Josh are expecti
Laurel
Apr 25, 2016 rated it liked it
I was given an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest and independent review.
A good story but just seemed to take so long to get anywhere. The story alternates between the past and the present. Claire and Josh are deeply in love but their inability to have a baby after many years is difficult for them.
Finally Claire falls pregnant but she is plagued with extreme headaches and acute tiredness. I was so frustrated that the investigations into the reasons for her medical conditions seemed t
Susan Peterson
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Love Story

Saving Abby is a heartfelt, emotional story written by Steena Holmes. Saving Abby tells the love story of Josh and Claire, a young married couple who have struggled for years to have a baby. Just when it seems their dreams have come true, their hopes are dashed and their lives forever changed. The author, as always, does an amazing job of creating an emotional attachment between her readers and the characters in her books.
Kirsten
May 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Kat
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was my first book by Steena Holmes, and it certainly won’t be my last. I have to start off by saying, I absolutely adore the cover and title. I was captivated by the first page and wanted to find what would happen. I think it would be heart breaking wanting something your whole life and not being able to get your wish. This is the situation that Clare and her husband Josh found themselves in, when they cannot conceive a child. When they give up hope life gives them a positive result on the ...more
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
I adored Saving Abby...it was emotional, heartfelt, honest and raw. Holmes has a way to write characters that touch the readers heart. She grabs the reader and causes them to ignore everything else until the reader turns the last page and sets the book down. Readers will be left feeling changed, moved....different than they were before they started Saving Abby It is more than just reading a book...it is an experience you engage in. I think Holmes keeps getting better with every book she writes. ...more
Betty
Claire Turner always wanted to be a mother, but after six years she and her husband, Josh, accepted that it wasn't going to happen.When Claire discovers she is finally pregnant, the Turners are thrilled—until Claire begins to suffer excruciating headaches, and other symptoms that can't be attributed to her pregnancy. When Claire sees her doctor, she is given a heartbreaking diagnosis. Treatment could harm the baby, and Claire must choose between saving herself, or saving her baby.

This was an emo
Deborah Blanchard
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-review, netgalley
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing.
This is Steena Holmes at her best. This book is written from the heart of this author. It will take you to places you have never been. You will absolutely need tissues for this one. I cried so much. The characters are well developed and believable. The storyline is heart wrenching. The story flows well from beginning to end. I could not put this book down and read it in one sitting. Claire and her husband are faced with deva
Kayleigh
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just how far would a mother go to protect her child? This is the question posed in Saving Abby. From a young age, it was Claire Turner's dream to be a mother. After multiple unsuccessful attempts, the Turners put their dreams aside. It is then that they are granted their miracle. Claire's heightened symptoms lead to a devastating diagnosis, one in which she must decide how to proceed.

Steena Holmes has done it again. She brings a mother's worst fears to the forefront and makes you think about th
Paula  Phillips
Dec 22, 2018 rated it liked it
All that Claire and Josh Turner ever wanted was to become parents. They wanted it so much that they had chucked their life into creating children's books. Six years later after so many failed tries, the pair decided to go on a cruise and complete what was called their Children's Bucket List. They loved the cruise and escaping their reality. Josh did offer adoption and other options for Claire, but none hit the spot. She was either going to be a mother or not. When they return home from the cruis ...more
Susan Crowe
I'm a sucker for a tear-jerker. This is absolutely a tear-jerker.
i won the sequel to this book in a Goodreads giveaway so i got this one to make sure i didn't miss any of the story. This was a good book. A little drawn out at times but a really good story. i do recommend it.
Joan
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Claire Turner and her husband Josh share an enduring love. They both dearly want a baby of their own to complete their marriage, but now they have to come to terms with the idea that this would never be. Six years of trying for a baby, and even with medical interventions, were unsuccessful. It is time to accept the truth of the matter. It is not to be. It is time to take a rest before they make any further decisions.

They continue to work together on Josh’s ‘Jack’ books, great favourites with all
Andrea Guy
This book should come with a box of tissues. If you've read the synopsis you know that this is going to be an emotional ride, but oh my it wasn't what I was expecting.

Claire and Josh Turner are the perfect couple. They are totally in love almost to the point of their lives being too good to be true. The only thing they don't have is a child and it is something that they long for. Their trip to Europe to work on the children's book series that they write and illustrate is their way to mourn not h
L.A.
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Posted first to Blog Critics as Book Review: 'Saving Abby', A Novel by Steena Holmes.

In Saving Abby by Steena Homes, we meet a couple, Claire Turner and her husband, Josh. He is a celebrated author of children’s books and she is the illustrator. While they seem to have it all, there is that one thing that they have always dreamed of, a child of their own. After trying for years, Claire has finally accepted the fact that fulfillment of their dream will never be realized.

Yet it is finally when all
Marlene
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Claire and Josh have tried unsuccessfully for years to get pregnant. Trying to come to terms with the fact that they won’t have the child they so desire, they decide to take a trip to Europe in hopes of easing some of their sorrow. After returning, Claire begins to experience headache and fatigue. She goes to her doctor only to find that they conceived during their vacation. Their joy is short-lived when she’s diagnosed with a condition that if she chooses treatment could very well put her child ...more
Cindy Roesel
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I hadn’t read a Steena Holmes novel before meeting Steena at BEA in Chicago last month, and picking up an ARC of SAVING ABBY (LakeUnionPublishing). I found Steena to be an incredibly warm woman and once I started reading her book, it made sense that she should be the author writing this sensitive, heart-wrenching story.

Josh and Claire Turner have been married for six years. Josh writes children’s books focused on a little boy named “Jack” who travels the world, and Claire illustrates them. The t
Maria
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is tough... It was an easy book to read. I kept wanting there to be more depth. But there were too many things that were confusing and unreal.

First, you all know the premise... but when Claire is diagnosed with a brain tumor, her primary care docs continue to treat her. I found this incredible. As soon as her MRI came back with that diagnosis, she should have been referred to an oncologist and a high risk gynecologist. It makes no sense. Did the author not do any research at all?

Second, he
Shanna Loewen
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
Latest review is Saving Abby by Steena Holmes
Claire and Josh Turner are an idyllic couple who are not only married and blissfully in love but they also work together writing and illustrating children's books. They have recently come to terms and accepted their inability to have children.

Miraculously, like so many couples who resign to the idea of not having children only to discover they are having a baby, Claire discovers that she is pregnant. As the onset of typical pregnancy symptoms begin
Sharon
Jun 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Lake Union Publishing and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of Saving Abby, in exchange for an honest review.

Claire and Josh Turner are a successful team, in love and in life. As the writing and illustrating duo for a series of children's books, the idea of having their own children is never far from their minds. When infertility breeds disappointment for years, the couple is on the verge of giving up hope until unexpected news changes everything. When the chance to be a mother threa
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, fiction
3.5 stars. "Saving Abby" is a tearjerker of a book. After a long time of struggling with infertility, Claire and Josh finally are able to get pregnant. They are incredibly excited as their entire life shifts. Furthermore, they will do anything to ensure that the baby is born healthy so when Claire is diagnosed with a very aggressive form of brain cancer, they know they have to act quickly in order to save the baby but they may not be able to save Claire in the process.

Like I said this book is d
Janine
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received ARC of this from Net Galley and just can’t thank them enough for that.

At the beginning of the story, Claire and Josh Turner are traveling and have all but given up the idea of having a child of their own.

But fate has a way of intervening and when the couple returns home from their adventures, Claire finds out she is indeed pregnant. However, their excitement is short-lived as Claire is extremely tired and also experiencing very debilitating headaches.

The doctors are hopeful that it is
Teresa Kander
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fair warning....this story is a real tearjerker. It's a highly emotional look at family life and at having courage in the face of adversity.

I was a little disappointed at one part of the story. It seemed to me that every major character in the book ignored all of Claire's symptoms, or was in major denial of the seriousness they could have. Considering that list of characters included TWO doctors, I felt that behavior was highly unprofessional.

The rest of the story was amazing, however. It went
Kelly Hager
I love books that give you an impossible scenario and force you to choose which you'd pick. That's certainly true with this novel, because you don't get much worse than having to decide whether you should save your own life or your unborn baby's.

I completely adore Steena Holmes' books. They're short and easy to read, but at the same time, there is so much character development and plot packed into them. I can speed through them without feeling like quality has been sacrificed. (I also love how p
52 weeks, 52 books: Week 2017.20: Saving Abby 2 22 May 19, 2017 06:16PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Saving Abby by Steena Holmes - September 6, 2016 2 13 Sep 01, 2016 10:28PM
❤ Coffee, Books &...: Win Whispers Under Southern Sky 1 2 Aug 28, 2016 06:11AM
cannot wait to get my hands on 1 5 Mar 26, 2016 07:01AM

• Wishing on Baby Dust
  • Johnnie Come Lately
  • The 5 Moons of Tiiana (The Chronicles of Rez Cantor, #1)
  • Claiming Noah
  • The Valley of Heaven and Hell - Cycling in the Shadow of Marie-Antoinette
  • Mystical Circles
  • Recovering From Life
  • Crystal Ships
  • A Girl Undone (A Girl Called Fearless, #2)
  • Secrets of Worry Dolls
  • Shaman, Friend, Enemy (Olivia Lawson, Techno-Shaman, #2)
  • Dirty Work
  • Days of Love and Blood
NY Times & USA Today Bestselling Author - Steena is the author of the heart wrenching Finding Emma series.

The Word Game was included in the Top 20 Novels to be Written by Women in 2015 by Good Housekeeping.

Her latest novel - The Word Game won the 2015 USA Books Award for Best Fiction and her novel, The Memory Child was a finalist in the same category.

Steena Holmes grew up in a small town in C