Start by marking “Jughead, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Jughead, Vol. 1

Jughead, Vol. 1

(Jughead (2015) #1)

In the grand tradition of comic book reboots like ARCHIE VOL. 1, Archie Comics proudly presents... JUGHEAD VOL. 1--from the comics dream team of Chip Zdarsky (HOWARD THE DUCK) and Erica Henderson (THE UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL)!

Riverdale High provides a quality education and quality hot lunches, but when one of those is tampered with, JUGHEAD JONES swears vengeance! Well, I
Published July 26th 2016 by Archie Comics

To ask other readers questions about Jughead, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Michael Finocchiaro
I love this new Jughead series! Following on the fantastic reboot of Archie by Mark Wade (and originally with Fiona Staples), Jughead follows my favorite (stoner) Archie character through his adventures and vivid dreams (superheros, pirates, etc) as he and the Archie gang hang out at Pop's and save Riverdale High from the evil new Principal Stenger! The artwork by Erica Henderson is fun and the storyline (complete with some funny editorial comments) by Chip Zdarsky is entertaining cover to cover ...more
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
Jughead Jones! Let me love you!

All of us be like

description

and he's

description

Jughead's what tumblr dreams are made of. He's Archie's best friend, he's charismatic, resourceful, has literature infused (day) dreams, which are always entertaining and he likes to eat, burgers mostly. To be completely honest, Jughead's so much more interesting than Archie. His personality (and his pointy nose) is shining through every panel.

I love Jughead Jones for representing the ace community. I'm praying his character on the Rive
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

I absolutely LOVE Jughead. I always have and I always will. He is honestly such a relatable character and I was so excited to finally pick this up.Each issue within this bind-up contains a little mini dream sequence. These moments were a little strange at first and slightly hard to get used to, but eventually I ended up really enjoying them. This was a really fun and fast paced read and I'm glad I finished right on time for volume 2!

P.S. I LOVE THAT THEY MENTION THAT JUGHEAD IS ASEXUAL. Hey CW/N
Calista
This is my favorite Archie character. I love his laid back smarts which are on display here in this story - his story of high school. I recently saw a few episodes of Riverdale and that is all cheese, all the time, but they totally messed up Jughead and got his character completely wrong. At least he gets to shine in this story.

It's a ridiculous story of a principal who is trying to turn everyone into super soldiers. Jughead figures all this out through his fun daydreams. It really is totally st
Peter Derk
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I learned a thing!

There's a great joke in this book about Jughead's name, and it got me thinking. "What is a jug, anyway?"

I found out. It's not that exciting. It's a cup but different.

But THEN I found out how Jughead got his name!

Okay, here we go.

You know that crown he wears? Well, in the original comics, it wasn't a crown. It was a button beanie.

I read a great article about it (linked below), but basically, when a grown-up was done wearing a hat, like an old fedora or some crap, a kid would ta
Chad
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
I couldn't really get into this. Erica Henderson's art does nothing for me. To me, it's really not at a good enough level for more than self-published books. Zdarsky tries really hard to make Jughead hip and cool, but the book was just meh. The plot makes zero sense and the dream interludes are just boring. Get on with the story!
Sesana
Sep 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Silly almost to the point of stupidity. Which is, I guess, an appropriate enough tone for a Jughead book to take. I'm not entirely sure how I liked it. I guess I could have done without the extended fantasy segments, but the rest was kind of fun.
Shadowdenizen
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-archie
While not quite as mind-blowing as the recent "Archie" relaunch, a great creative team coupled with an interesting character and decent writing/story means a great start to the new Jughead series!

Highly recommended.
Ronyell
Jughead

Introduction:

After I had finished reading “Archie Volume One: The New Riverdale,” I figured that Archie Comics was going to do a reboot on one of their most beloved characters “Jughead!” So of course, I was on board with picking up the reboot of everyone’s favorite crazy and food obsessed weirdo in Chip Zdarsky’s take on “Jughead Volume One!”

What is this story about?

It is an ordinary day in Riverdale until Mr. Weatherbee, the principal of Riverdale High, is suddenly being replace
Stewart Tame
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a fun take on Juggie. As with Mark Waid's Archie, this is not intended to replace the iconic character, just be an interesting reinvention. It definitely delivers on that.

Once you get over how different everyone looks, this is pretty fun. All the usual suspects are here: Archie, Betty, Reggie, Mr. Weatherbee, etc. A new principal arrives at Riverdale High and it's up to Juggie and the gang to restore the status quo. Zdarsky writes with wit and verve and his Jughead is every bit the lova
Sean McGuire
I love Jughead.

And I could honestly stop this review right there and have this perfectly summed up in three words. And it's clear that the creative team (Chip Zdarsky and Erica Henderson, the latter being the artist of The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Volume 1: Squirrel Power and its sequels) love this burger-loving, whoopee cap wearing teen just as much as I've come too. It's ridiculous how much I've come to love Jughead Jones in such a short time, but the writing sucked me in after the visual loo
Mike
I have plenty of memories of reading Archie Comics Digest as a kid - mostly when I went to the cottage for the summer, I'd find stacks of those next to the Reader's Digest and dog-eared copies of Chatelaine. (It's a polite Canadian women's magazine you philistines. Look it up.)

So I don't have any memory of the paranoid delusional aspect of Jughead's personality. Which is a damned shame, because this dude I get *implicitly*. Don't like classes? Check. Sleeping at all hours? Check. Video games and
Norman
May 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-comics
Wish I could rate this one higher, but it seemed to fall apart there at the end. Still amusing, and I absolutely love Erica Henderson's characters. Zdarsky is a bit of a hit or miss for me, and I felt the first half was stronger than the somewhat lackadaisical and overly ironic second half. Jughead is portrayed as a likeable hero-that-no-one-thinks-is-hero, and is almost a rebellious anti hero and not just a mischievous little troublemaker who gets into his own shenanigans. Other characters seem ...more
Jasmine
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly excellent. Chip Zdarsky's irreverent, bizarre humour matches the Riverdale world well, and he's used the original comic format of lots of short stories to intersperse non-canon (probably) short arcs amid the longer arc. The longer arc in this one, btw, is that their high school has been taken over by a spy school, disrupting Jughead's very important nap and meal time.

Anyways it's hilarious, it's well done on a technical level that I wasn't quite expecting, and gotta appreciate that
mar
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored this. It was so freaking funny and clever. And all the pop culture references and spoofs were so spot on and creative. This was much needed as a break in the middle of my stressful week.

[image error]

Danielle Booey
Dec 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
I wanted to like this book so bad. Zdarsky is fun and Henderson's art is amazing, but just no...every issue is just half Jughead zoning out into some weird dream or video game world. It's too bad really because the parts that actually take place in real life are fun and rather compelling.
rhea
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
where did Jughead really find his hat? O_o

;)
✿Ivy Roots✿
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Laughed my head off with this one!
Jughead Jones... may I marry you? (in a strictly non-romantic sense of course)
Chris Lemmerman
After the wildly successful Archie reboot, it was inevitable that there would be another book to go along side it. Enter Jughead, by Chip Zdarsky and Erica Henderson.

When a new principal upends everything in Jug's life, it's up to him to save the day...if he can be bothered. Maybe. Interspersed into Jughead's insane antics as he tries to dethrone new Principal Stanger are various dream sequences that have Jughead doing everything from rejoining the Time Police to suiting up as a superhero alongs
Gracie Danielson
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was the first comic book I’ve read, and I’m really glad I did. At first I was interested in it because I watch the show riverdale, I love the characters and wanted more so I picked this up. And although the plot of the story and actions of the charters a completely different I still really enjoyed this. It was such a fun creative way to look at the charters I already know. And the illustrations are amazing!
Garrett
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was awesome, unadulterated fun that you could hand to a 10-year-old or someone much older, and if they have a sense of humor at all, they will enjoy it. It's clever and funny and there's an actual story, and if you doubt that one of the people behind a comic called "Sex Criminals" should be trusted with America's favorite "whoopie cap" wearing slacker, well, a gentle hand has been employed, but so has a healthy dose of snark and brains.

Do not question the Jughead. READ the Jughead.
Jesse Nicholas
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Finished in one sitting, as do most people who read graphic novels. It was a lot of fun, but not my absolute favorite. Jughead is a highlight character for me in the Archie Universe, but sadly, this take on him wasn't the best. He stay's true to character and all, but I'm just not liking the fantastical day dreams. And don't get me started on the art... some of the designs stink. Sorry no sorry.
Emma
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Teach a man to fish & he'll being home fish, which are gross. Teach a man to make burgers & he'll be the hero Gotham deserves or something." - Jughead.

Best. Looking forward to more of this series!
Kzee Mikols
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Really funny. I think I might have liked it more than the regular Archie comic. Much goofier
Matt Godfrey
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Super funny and imaginative.
Bryen
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This was OK. It's what I would expect with Jughead. I kind of got tired of his dreams but all in all not bad. Looking forward to the next volume which features Sabrina
Lee
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
JUGHEAD, LET ME LOVE YOU.
Avery (Book Deviant)
See more of my reviews on my blog the Book Deviant

With knowledge that the recent TV adaption of this comic (or was it the adaption of Archie? I don't know.) erased Jughead's aroace ID, I was a little wary going into this story. I didn't want to be disappointed, with Jughead, with the rep, or with the story. I realize that's a bit of a high bar, but I am getting tired of amisia in so many books.

In all honesty, I only got one of those three things, and even though I got the most important, I still
Ash
Just call me an acolyte of Jughead Jones!

As I previously mentioned when I reviewed Archie, Vol. 1 by Mark Waid, I've never read anything Archie related. I have a friend who's an avid reader but me? Nope. However, I really liked Waid's reimagined interpretation of the Archie universe.

Chip Zdarsky has written about, who I feel is the one of the best characters in the universe, Jughead Jones. Jughead has an incredibly insatiable appetite for food and wisdom in spades. I gravitated towards his Zen
BB
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics-archie
An Eisner award for Best Humor? Really? Different strokes, I guess...

I wanted to like this. I did. I kept getting told I should read this because Jughead's asexual. That's nice, but representation doesn't equal quality, which this is sadly lacking.

The story moves along in fits. The main plot is constantly interrupted by Jughead's daydream sequences that go nowhere, last too long, and are frankly pretty boring. didn't find any of it funny, and I know Chip Zdarsky can write better than this becaus
  • Jughead, Vol. 3
  • Archie, Vol. 2
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 2
  • Betty & Veronica (2016-) #1 (Betty & Veronica (2016-2017))
  • Power Up
  • Another Castle: Grimoire
  • Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy Vol. 1
  • Archie vs Predator
  • Silver Surfer, Vol. 4: Citizen of Earth
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 2
Chip Zdarsky is a Canadian comic book artist and journalist. He was born Steve Murray but is known by his fan base as Chip Zdarsky, and occasionally Todd Diamond. He writes and illustrates an advice column called Extremely Bad Advice for the Canadian national newspaper National Post's The Ampersand, their pop culture section's online edition. He is also the creator of Prison Funnies and Monster Co ...more

Jughead (2015) (3 books)