Start by marking “Women in Science: 50 Fearless Pioneers Who Changed the World” as Want to Read:
Women in Science: 50 Fearless Pioneers Who Changed the World

Women in Science: 50 Fearless Pioneers Who Changed the World

It’s a scientific fact: Women rock!

A charmingly illustrated and educational book, Women in Science highlights the contributions of fifty notable women to the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) from the ancient to the modern world. Full of striking, singular art, this fascinating collection also contains infographics about relevant topics
Published July 26th 2016 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Women in Science, please sign up.
Susana González This book can perfectly be read by a child, because there is only four or five paragraphs for every scientist, with many drawings and summary…moreThis book can perfectly be read by a child, because there is only four or five paragraphs for every scientist, with many drawings and summary sentences inserted in it. The language, though there are scientific words (usually explain in the same paragraph) is very simple, for everybody, and up-to-date.
When a was 9, I liked the science and read all that I could about it, but there weren’t this kind of books for every age. I would have loved it.
I hope she enjoy it.(less)

TheSkepticalReader
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bury me with this book.
Book Riot Community
I love books that can be enjoyed by children and adults alike, and Rachel Ignotofsky’s Women in Science fits the bill perfectly. It’s an illustrated collection of short biographies on fifty female pioneers in the STEM field. The stories of these inspiring innovators are accompanied by stunning illustrations. This book is an absolute joy to read. Buy one for every girl and woman in your life!

–Kate Scott

from The Best Books We Read In July 2016: http://bookriot.com/2016/08/01/riot-r...
Theresa Alan
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book for my niece’s sixth birthday and we read it together along with her mom. I loved the illustrations and learned a lot about women I’ve never even heard of, such as physicist Lise Meitner, who was driven out of Germany during WWII because she was Jewish—and was thus denied her half of the Nobel Prize for her findings in nuclear fusion. I also learned more about women I have heard of, such as Jane Goodall, Marie Curie, and Rachel Carson.

The obstacles these women faced are appal
Kate
Please read this book. Buy a copy for your niece and your little brother and your obnoxious uncle who thinks he understands the world because he majored in history 40 years ago. Buy one for your local elementary school. Buy one for friends who haven't even had babies yet, because they're going to want their kids to have this.
etherealfire
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This gorgeously illustrated, easy and fun to read, slim little volume full of fun facts is a must-read for girls of all ages (including mine)! I am so in love with this gorgeously packaged, inspirational little gem that I am going have to invest in a permanent copy for my bookshelf. This is a keeper!
Amanda
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, non-fiction
I found this quite readable for the way it was published, which necessarily throws a lot of information and names at you one after another. I learned quite a few scientific tidbits whilst reading about these noteworthy women. The infographics and illustrations were really wonderful. The information provided was a perfect blend of biography, fun facts and scientific explanations. I highly recommend this, especially as a gift for anyone interested in science, women, history, art and pretty books!
Britt / Basically Britt
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Such an interesting and inspiring read!!
Also LOVED the illustrations!
Lata
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: auth-f, x2018-read
Quirky, whimsical illustrations accompany 1-page biographies of each female scientist. Each woman profiled worked incredibly hard, and was subjected to all sorts of resistance since women were either believed to be unable to learn, or forbidden to learn, or had a variety of obstacles thrown in their way, both at school and at work. And yet the amazing things each of the featured women did, contributing equations, methodologies, techniques and approaches still in use, or that became critical step ...more
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Perfect for what it is: a vibrantly illustrated series of snapshots of influential, inspirational women in science, aimed at younger readers. It's beautiful to look at, and the casual, peppy style just made me happy while reading it. The bios are short, but tantalizing. I want very badly to know more about some of these scientists.

Even though I've read quite a few popular science books, I was only familiar with a handful of these 50 women (even enough to recognize names), which is a shame.
Kelly
I hate the description of this being "charming" because that's so diminutive, but this book is damn charming. The illustrations are excellent and the scientists that Ignotofsky highlights feature those whose names we know (like Marie Curie) and those who we don't. It's inclusive, and it's just the right amount of information written out to intrigue readers to want to know more. The design, which features short facts about the women featured, does a huge service so that it's not information overl ...more
Anna
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: academic
great book and a great gift suggestion to any girl/woman interested in or doing science! I love the illustration and all texts are as informed as needed for such a book... Totally suggested
Eva
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is such a delight, well-researched but accessible, fun but encouraging and educational. It acknowledges in full how hard it was and still is for women to have the same access to education, funding and resources as men have but doesn't leave a bitter aftertaste and finishes with a positive outlook into the future. I really hope this book will find accompany whole new generations of girls in science, and that it will be soon translated into as many languages as possible.
Pam
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book irritated the heck out of me. I am a scientist and a children's book writer (and a woman). I was super excited to read it. But there were so many factual misrepresentations and errors in the introduction alone that I didn't know if I could trust anything in the book. It wasn't until I got to the profile of Lise Meitner that I wanted to throw the book across the room, though.

First off, Meitner came from a well-educated, well-off family. Though it was, in general, less common for women t
Amanda  Dana
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I almost cried when I started to look through Women in Science. I wish someone had told me that it was okay to think that math was hard, but that I would get through it. That science was difficult at times, but since I loved it, I would be able to make it. It's hard not to get upset when so few women have pushed their way through a man's field. In this day and age, when girls have more access to tools that will help them get the help they need to go into a STEM profession, these women did it all ...more
Alankrita
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Happy International Women's Day!
This book features 50 women who have made invaluable contributions to science - ranging from the ancient Hypatia of Alexandria, to Maryam Mirzakhani, a winner of the 2014 Fields Medal. I got to learn about the trailblazing work of a lot of women in STEM I didn't know of previously, thanks to the well written short biographies complemented by the excellent illustrations. Truly an inspiring read. In our society where gender stereotypes are still very prevalent, I w
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
I bought this book yesterday and it's so beautiful! There is even a card box: 100 postcards of the illustrations of this book!

I read most of the part yesterday and was happily surprised to know some of the women and getting introduced to many.

I just was so sad that there are no Arab women in the list, and I know I met many friends and teachers who loved science; it's sad none of them made her mark yet or if she did she was unknown.

Alice Lippart
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
A strikingly illustrated and wonderful little book.
Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.)

description

An inspiring reading about women who have been an eminence in the science field, honestly having decided to read this short but significant book has been one of the best decisions, right now I think it will be INCREDIBLE to own the author's complete collection, and perhaps, in the future, I can read it to my children.

5/5 Stars

I think that, besides, the way in which the book is written and created is unique, super interactive and entertaining, the illustrations are BEAUTIFUL, I'm absolutely in l
Kris
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I learned a ton from this book. So many female scientists that I knew absolutely nothing about. I really liked the set-up, with the artistic renderings of the scientist, a quote from or about them at the bottom of their portrait, and little interesting facts sprinkled around the text. So much great information in this.
Camille ☼
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another book my children will read.
Gio Listmaker
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short Tidbits Of BadAss Women Of Science

Purchased For My Nieces

Almost Kept It For Myself =))
Amy
This is such a fantastic book! Unique, interesting and perfectly put together! The book itself is literally a work of art. The illustrations are fantastic! This book features 50 amazing women from the world of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. It covers everything from ancient items to the present! I learned so much about trailblazing women - many of whom I had never heard of! I learned so much with this book! Each scientist gets a spread in the book - one full of detailed writi ...more
Pallavi Kamat
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely brilliant book which details the stories of 50 women who excelled in different STEM fields across astrophysics, psychiatry, genetics, mathematics, etc. Some of the women were known to me like Jane Goodall, Vera Rubin, and of course Marie Curie. But a lot of the women were unknown, their stories made fascinating reading.

It's depressing to read how so many universities didn't admit women to their Masters programs or employ women in full-time positions. Also, most of the women scienti
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
RATING: 4.5 STARS
(Review Not on Blog)

A great book for for anyone interested in the pioneers of science and the faces that don't always get taught in school. I loved the illustrations in this book.
thelostlibrary
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Absolutely inspirational. One of my very best friends got me this because he knew how much I wanted to read it and it is one of the best presents I have ever gotten. 100% would recommend. If I have one problem is that I wish it was longer; hopefully, one day there will be a revised version with not 50 but thousands of female scientists.
Alexandra
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
cute little picture book showcasing women in the STEM fields (science, technology, engineering & math). the illustrations were plentiful and added a really nice touch to the descriptions.

at times it sort of felt like the author was adding her own opinions instead of stating pure facts, saying things like so and so "should have won the nobel prize" or so and so was the smartest in her class of all boys. it's like we get it you're a feminist but tone it down a notch.

it was nice learning a bit
maria
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed Women in Science, it's a light, charming and delightful read appropriate for all ages.
Anne-Marie
What an amazing collection of pioneering female scientists! The author includes a wide breadth of scientists across time (although mainly focused in the 19th-21st centuries due to history and records) and disciplines.

It just goes to show how little we are taught in school about who discovers the things we learn about. I would (and I suspect many girls and boys) have greatly benefitted from learning that women helped disprove physics laws, discovered the nerve growth factor, discovered the struc
Amanda--A Scientist Reads
I would guess guide to women in science is likely meant for girls ages 8 and up, but was an enjoyable read for this mid-30s woman as well. Learning more about the women in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) that came before me is a hobby, but this was done in a unique way that included women from around the world in a wide variety of fields. The illustrations are lovely, and each woman has a two page spread. One page is an illustration with additional bulleted style information, a ...more
The Dyslexic Bookworm
I highly recommend this book to any mom's out there with little girls. This book will inspire them to achieve great things, and give them fantastic role models. I loved the illustrations and the blurbs they gave for all the women in STEM. Go pick this book up!

• Solving the Puzzle Under the Sea: Marie Tharp Maps the Ocean Floor
  • Grace Hopper: Queen of Computer Code
  • Martina & Chrissie: The Greatest Rivalry in the History of Sports
  • Hidden Figures: The True Story of Four Black Women and the Space Race
  • Flying Frogs and Walking Fish: Leaping Lemurs, Tumbling Toads, Jet-Propelled Jellyfish, and More Surprising Ways That Animals Move
  • The World Is Not a Rectangle: A Portrait of Architect Zaha Hadid
  • Between the Lines: How Ernie Barnes Went from the Football Field to the Art Gallery
  • Hillary Rodham Clinton: Some Girls Are Born to Lead
  • Ruth Bader Ginsburg: The Case of R.B.G. vs. Inequality
  • The Brilliant Deep: Rebuilding the World's Coral Reefs: The Story of Ken Nedimyer and the Coral Restoration Foundation
  • Crow Smarts: Inside the Brain of the World's Brightest Bird
  • Joan Procter, Dragon Doctor: The Woman Who Loved Reptiles
  • Brief Histories of Everyday Objects
  • Anything But Ordinary Addie: The True Story of Adelaide Herrmann, Queen of Magic
  • Fearless Flyer: Ruth Law and Her Flying Machine
  • The Animal Review: The Genius, Mediocrity, and Breathtaking Stupidity That Is Nature
  • Eleanor, Quiet No More
  • Maya Lin: Artist-Architect of Light and Lines
Rachel Ignotofsky grew up in New Jersey on a healthy diet of cartoons and pudding. She graduated with honors from Tyler School of Art’s graphic design program in 2011. Now she lives in beautiful Kansas City, Missouri, where she spends all day drawing and learning as much as she can. She has a passion for taking dense information and making it fun and accessible and is dedicated to creating educati ...more
“The main stumbling block in the way of any progress is and always has been unimpeachable tradition. (Chien-Shiung Wu)” 2 likes