Start by marking “Wandering Island” as Want to Read:
Wandering Island

Wandering Island

(Wandering Island #1)

Mikura Amelia is a free-spirited young woman living alone with her cat, who operates an air delivery service, flying her vintage seaplane to Japan's small island communities located hundreds of miles out into the Pacific. When her beloved grandfather passes away, she discovers he left her an undelivered parcel, addressed to an island that doesn't exist...or does it? To ans ...more
Published July 26th 2016 by Dark Horse Manga (first published October 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Wandering Island, please sign up.
Nicole I just checked and it looks like the release date is Jan 2019.

Ivan
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
This was delightful read despite not much happening. Volume 1 of Wandering island is well written and illustrated, slow burning beginning of an adventure with a strong Ghibli studio vibe. I can't wait to see how this series shapes out.
Miriam
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic
If you're thinking this sounds like a more grown-up version of Miyazaki's Laputa abandon that hope right now. I recommend this far more for someone interested in planes and navigational charts.

This is quite slow-paced; as of the end of volume 1 very little progress has been made regarding the mysterious island and her grandfather's connection to it.
Sara
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This definitely has my attention. Though its light on action and dialogue and even more of a slow burn in terms of character development Kenji Tsuruta has something special here.

We're introduced to Mikura, a young pilot, who's been left alone to run a cargo transport business following the death/disappearance of her grandfather. She has little to no relationship with her parents but she's determined to carry on his legacy. Following a bizarre run in with an island that shouldn't exist (that alm
Derek Royal
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
What stands out in this story is its unique premise: the search for an unanchored island in the Pacific that may or may not exist. Tsuruta does a find job in this first collected volume of establishing this context and teasing out the narrative just enough to get you wanting more. The protagonist, Mikura, is innocent yet believable enough to serve as the reader's proxy into this mystery. This is one of those manga series that has me eagerly anticipating the next volume, and definitely not lackad ...more
Abdulla
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved the art and the details hidden in it. The premise is great and gets you hooked right from the beginning. I really enjoyed the setting too, it's a nice changed from usual mainland Japan that lends the story more authenticity and invokes a sense of nostalgia.
Joshua
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This manga was beautiful. Put aside the fact that the protagonist spent most of the book in bikini, every page of this small book was a work of art. Tsuruta makes every frame of this book a complex and realistic work of art so that the reader feels themselves in the world, rather than having to create it for themselves. The story is beautiful, but for my reading it often felt secondary to the world that Mikura Amelia was inhabiting. Every space she interacted with was filled with detail, whether ...more
Monique
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated, Tsuruta does a phenomenal job creating a world of wonder and adventure. A big chunk of the book doesn't even have any dialogue, but Tsuruta is so masterful at building this world and creating stunning establishing shots, you can feel the atmosphere of these tropical islands seeping through the page. Very reminiscent of a Studio Ghibli film.

Wandering Island was a fantastic read, ending before Mikura ever landed on said island. I assume this is an ongoing series as it wou
Michelle
I really dug this. This was really beautiful and meditative.

Young Mikura helps her grandfather run an air delivery service among some islands off the Japanese coast. When grandpa passes away, Mikura stumbles upon some diaries he had been writing and finds out that he was searching for "Electricity Island", a tiny island that appears to never stay in the same place. When Mikura has a near-death encounter with the island shortly after, she becomes obsessed with finding it again and finishing her
Joe Crawford
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful art and packaging. Intrigue abounds. Cliffhanger ending. Hopefully more to follow.
erica
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow, I loved this. The art is just GORGEOUS, and the story-line is so meditative and mellow.

Mikura is a young woman who lives alone with her cat on a sparsely populated island off the coast of mainland Japan. After her grandfather's death, she is single-handedly running the family delivery business, flying packages from island to island on her small plane. She soon becomes obsessed with finding the elusive Electric Island, which her grandfather was also searching for before his death.

It's kind o
Tom Ewing
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Did it help that I read this on holiday in a barely-inhabited Greek island? Oh yes. Would I have enjoyed it anyway? Certainly. Kenji Tsuruta's delicate, detailed artwork is perfect at capturing the island life of Southern Japan and the romance of aviation. As the volume's backmatter confirms, everything is thought-through and drawn-to-life. Even limber heroine Mikura's reluctance to wear more than a swimsuit doesn't feel entirely gratuitous.

The central mystery - a floating island circling the P
Nicole
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really like between 3 and 4 but far closer to 4. This is the first manga I have ever read or purchased. Normally when I try to read a manga or just pick up and go through it. It stresses me out, immensely. It is not the right to left reading but the visual layout. Usually, mangas are laid out where my brain just cannot process what it is seeing. Wandering Island was not like that at all. I love the premise and I cannot wait to see what happens next. The layout and illustration is simple but deta ...more
Jake
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it
The thing that really stood out about this story to me was the very interesting art style.

It reminded me a lot of a Miyazaki movie in that the visuals are stunning, the environments and main character interesting, but the story is more gentle and less fast paced.

An interesting first volume, I will be keeping an eye out for volume 2.
Helen
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
The story/storytelling is interesting but good lord the male gaze in some of the panels is ridiculous. I think in Anime/Manga we fined some kind of contrived, torturous explanations for why the main character *had* to be mapping out this island right after showering and before putting on literally any clothes... but there's no plot reason for it. And I'm just imagining this 57 year old man drawing this young female character who just happens to be lounging around naked and it creeps me out.
Liudvikas
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
The art in this manga is just amazing. It's a real shame that the author is notoriously slow working and we are likely to not see a second volume for quite a while. Nevertheless I enjoyed it very much.
Adrean Clark
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautiful drawings, watercolors -- intriguing story. Dinged a star for slow pacing and male-dominant visual portrayal of main character.
Benjamin Kass
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Really of two minds on this one. After the death of her grandfather, Mikura Amelia, an air-delivery pilot for Japan's remote islands, attempts to deliver a package he left behind to a mysterious, potentially non-existent floating island.

Great concept, and it gets into the toll an obsessive quest can take. But the stakes are only ever said and not felt. The story never goes deep as it could, never looks too closely at its characters or its world. The setting is unusual for manga, and there's gre
Nore
Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
An interesting little series about a headstrong young woman tracking down a mysterious floating island despite the seeming impossibility of her task.

I mostly enjoyed the art, especially the backgrounds, and the story was interesting, but I found the sameface/samebody of all of the young women offputting (especially in contrast the detailed, differentiated men!), and the constant state of undress of the protagonist was unnecessary. There was a brief shot of her chest with a strap between her bre
Michael
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
via NYPL - Beautifully detailed artwork complements this endearing (if somewhat slight) story of a young woman - who flies an open-cockpit plane in a bikini* - searching for a mythical floating island, using clues left behind by her dear departed grandfather. It's a fun bit of magical reality, dogged determination, and immaculately drawn aerial vistas and flying charts.

A few other people here have commented that it demands a second volume - I wouldn't mind a second one, but I actually think the
Shayna Ross
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Mikura Amelia, namesake of Amelia Earhart, operates a small air delivery service on her trusty vintage seaplane across Japan's small island communities. When the death of her grandfather hits her hard, she discovers that he left behind an undelivered parcel addressed to a non-existent island.. or is it real? Determined to overcome her sadness, Mikura navigates the seas of Japan with her cat and hits the air.

We have a story of a free-spirited woman living alone and making a living for herself doi
Shy Kuzonoha
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga-collection
For a story that doesn't have too much dialogue. This was an exciting read. From the town the protagonist lives in, to the mystery of the the package, and it's connection to the Wondering island. Volume One of wondering Island doesn't over stay it's welcome, with convoluted story arcs, or an over abundance of cliche characters. It continuously moves forward with its steady pace of visual storytelling, and I'm on board for Volume 2.
Jesse Richards
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent story in an excellent package - I love it when they include extras like a map, a history of obscure Japanese islands and WWII planes, and that beautiful soft cover with wraparound art all the way to the French flaps. The adventure story itself is half-silent and is simultaneously gripping and meditative.
Randall
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Saw this in OtakuUSA, bought the book. Great story, strong female, big fan of cats. 😉 Surviving loss of parental figure is tough, but last "mission" part gives some resolution. Free young woman who looks for opportunity & looks towards the future.
Heather Ogle
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pacing was great. Very much looking forward to volume two. Ended with a cliffhanger, (but what manga doesn't?). I like the mystery element concerning electric island. I can't wait to see if she makes it there.
Cass
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The art is gorgeous and I love the story - Excited for volume 2!!
John
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cool story line and killer illustrations. Looking forward to part two.
Hannah Collins
If you like Studio Ghibli then you will like this.
Shelley
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very engaging story, nicely illustrated aside from the ever-present bikini. Look forward to the next one.
Alethia
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Really interesting plot, characters, and art style. Where are the rest??
Skerdi Kroi
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
The last 20% of the volume kinda lost its spark.
Hope the second volume sees the light very soon

• Planetes Omnibus, Volume 1
  • Sunny, Vol. 2
  • Cross Game 2 (Cross Game, #4-5)
  • Henshin
  • Master Keaton, Vol. 1
  • School-Live!, Vol. 2 (Gakkou Gurashi!, #2)
  • Barakamon, Vol. 9
  • Girl Friends: The Complete Collection 2
  • What a Wonderful World!, Vol. 1
  • Furari
  • Sweetness and Lightning 2
  • ダンジョン飯 1 [Dungeon Meshi 1] (Delicious in Dungeon, #1)
  • The Girl from the Other Side: Siúil, A Rún, Volume 3 (The Girl from the Other Side, #3)
Kenji Tsuruta (in Japanese, 鶴田謙二) is a Japanese manga artist. Among his most famous works is the science fiction series Spirit of Wonder, which has been adapted into an anime series and brought him much acclaim.

During his years in university as a student of optical science, Tsuruta, initially wanting to be a photographer, encountered works of Yukinobu Hoshino, which had inspired him to create mang

Wandering Island (2 books)
  • 冒険エレキテ島 2