Start by marking “Age of Consent” as Want to Read:
Age of Consent

Age of Consent

From the author of Daniel Isn’t Talking and Dying Young comes a shattering new novel, a page-turner about an estranged mother and daughter who must come to terms with their shared painful past

Thirty years ago, June was a young widow with a hopeless crush on a Craig Kirtz, a disc jockey at a local rock station. To her surprise, the two struck up a friendship that seemed hea
Published July 26th 2016 by Nan A. Talese (first published July 14th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Age of Consent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Age of Consent

Start your review of Age of Consent
Meredith ( on Semi-Hiatus until February)
Due to the subject matter of The Age of Consent, I found the book hard to read. However, it is worth reading.

When she was just 13 years old, Bobbie was lured into a sexually and emotionally abusive relationship with local radio celebrity, Craig Kirtz. The abuse goes on for several years until an accident occurs that eventually allows Bobbie to escape. Throughout this time, Bobbie’s mother, June, turned a blind eye to what was happening to her daughter, as she had a crush on Craig.

Fast-forward 3
Judy D Collins
A special thank you to Doubleday and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

From the author of Daniel Isn’t Talking and Dying Young, Marti Leimbach delivers a dark and disturbing tale AGE OF CONSENT, a haunting portrayal of a young teenage girl trapped, sexual and psychological abuse, molestation-a relationship with a man- a heavy burden to carry.

Then the unthinkable, he moves into their home, when her own mother takes him in. It is the daughter he is after, not the mother.

It
Sue
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'll start out by saying that this is a difficult book to read but that as a mother or a daughter or a woman, its a book that you should definitely read. It's a novel about abuse of a child but told in a way that I've never read before and in a way that's really made me think about how evil some people can be to other people.

First the triangle - June is a young widow - not real attractive but she would love to find someone to love. Bobbie is her 13 year old daughter - she is very cute and extrem
Lolly K Dandeneau
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Maybe having read so many memoirs and seeing true stories about mothers who overlook the obvious abuse right under their nose for the love of some man is what made this believable. I think of the differing opinions people will have reading about the sexual relationship a teenage girl is having with an older man. Some will say 'this isn't abuse, this girl enjoyed it' - the old 'if someone feels pleasure, they are just as guilty' defense will arise too. It is uncomfortable to discuss but more horr ...more
♥ Sandi ❣
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to ♥ Sandi ❣ by: Bookreporter
Shelves: 1-have
Thank you Bookreporter for giving me this book for an unbiased review.

Based on a vile abuse to under aged children, this book did a very good job of bringing out the horrors that these children go through. Sexually abused for years by a man almost twice her age, Bobbie had to endure the insult of her own mother then inviting this same man into their home.
Told in alternating chapters, at the time of the abuse, and then years later when Bobbie was an adult. Not only did this book express the pai
Kris - My Novelesque Life
AGE OF CONSENT
Written by Marti Leimbach

(Review Not on Blog)

2.5 STARS

The cover of this novel drew me when I was checking items in at work (library). As I read the synopsis, I knew this was going to be a tough book to read due to the subject matter. I prepared myself and delved in.

This story is about Bobbie as a teen and as a 40-something woman. When she was thirteen she met a man who was in late 20s, who then proceeded to prey on her for sexual purposes. The man, Craig, goes so far as to seduce
Angela
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amazon-vine
Wow, this is one hell of an impacting story and despite the title and suggestive book cover, there is no gratuitous sex or anything to upset a sensitive reader. This very strong story is told on two timelines thirty years apart mainly by Bobbie, the abused teenager. We start in 1978 with Bobbie and Craig in a motel room and we more than get the idea that Craig is not pleasant person and that Bobbie is in an uncomfortable position that she can't easily get out of. In modern day language, Bobbie h ...more
Kathy
Age of Consent by Marti Leimbach is an unflinchingly honest novel about a woman who was sexually abused when she was a teenager who finally tries to get justice thirty years later. The subject matter is dark and disturbing yet the rambling, disjointed narrative does not do the topic justice.

In the late 70s, Bobbie became the victim of a sexual predator whom her mom later married. In 2008, Bobbie brings charges against him for the long ago crime. What should be a compelling court case in the pres
Debbie
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a very creepy book. More one of the characters than the actual story. The story line topic was a disgusting crime. I'm pretty sure it's not one of those you can't put down. It was a creative and imaginative story with a very manipulative character. It's scary that there are those kind of people out there. And then the mother, crazy.

I will have to say though and I'm trying to say this so there is no spoiler. But, if Bobbie had just told them what was sticking out of his eye, that would h
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've not long finished a proof copy of this given to me by HarperCollins. As I was reading I kept thinking, 'hmmm, I'll finish reading it but I'm not really enjoying it'.

Actually, as I sit here thinking about it I've realised it's not really a book you're meant to "enjoy". It's a book that is meant to open your eyes and your mind, a book which is meant to make you think about certain things in a different way, in a way you haven't seen them before.

This is a book about child abuse and molestation
Jaclyn
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*I won this book for free in a Goodreads Giveaway in exchange for an honest opinion *

This book was very well written. There was constant tension. No sugarcoating what soever. If you like the show Law and Order: SVU, you would probably like this book. The story is told in third person, usually Barbara's viewpoint. Occasionally June's as well. Once or twice in Craig's. The book is very bittersweet, so if you want a happy ending this might not be for you. All in all, I recommend it.
kagami
Unsurprisingly this is not pleasant reading, not so much because of the descriptions of sexual abuse (there aren't too many of those, thankfully), but because of the persistent, grinding psychological abuse. I found it infuriating that the main character Bobbie seemed unable to extricate herself from the grip of the manipulative, ruthless older man who was abusing her since age 13. Reading about how she felt trapped, as though he was directing her from inside her head, even when he was not aroun ...more
Jesey ~ Schmexy GIrl~
When I first received an email regarding this book I was instantly intrigued. It was a little different than my normal reads these days so I was willing to give it a try. Age of Consent was a quick read for me, I was completely invested in the story and finding out what was going to happen.

We jump from the past to the present and the stories weave themselves together. Bobbie, a young girl in a dangerous “relationship” comes back to confront her past 30 years later. Martin Leimbach really gave us
Cathy Branciforte
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
I really enjoyed this book...hated a couple of the characters, but liked the book. I felt so badly for Bobbie, the victim of a child predator, and it was interesting to see how young girls get involved and can't get away from the men who control and abuse them. In this story I grew to despise the mother and of course Craig; but that was the good writing that made the characters so abhorrent and the story so good. I think this would make a great book club book with lots to discuss. Highly recomme ...more
Kerrie (Layton) Box
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: give-away
although this book is a little troublesome to read due to subject matter, i found it to be a true to life story that may hit a little too close to home for some. however, it was a engrossing read and i had a hard time putting it down. good character development and consistent storytime line and stayed true to the accuracy of the different time periods.
Anne
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thrilling and spellbinding. Bobbie, abused 30 years ago, aged 13, returns to testify against her abuser, taking the reader through every possible emotion. Not my normal read, but this is beautifully written and I couldn't put it down. ...more
Margaret Madden
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
A big giant 5 stars! Review to follow
Sarah Smith
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am so happy that I had the privilege of reading this book. Although, it is regarding a serious topic (sexual abuse of a minor) and the subject matter was dark at times, it still felt like an easy read for me. The characters were all so dynamic and colorful, it was so interesting to get to know them as they were in the past (30 years ago) and who they become. Marti Leimbach knows how to tell a story, each chapter flows directly into the next, which can be hard to do considering the 30 year time ...more
Anne
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the best books I’ve read in ages. Done in a week. It was a well-constructed and nuanced story, alternating between the events that happened to a teenaged girl and the modern day court case in which she is trying to find justice. The characters are well-drawn and there is no cliche in them. The imagery and prose used to convey the main character’s thoughts and feelings is convincing. I did find myself getting frustrated at times with her passivity, and found myself urging her to b ...more
Beth
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think this was a very well written book and I "enjoyed" it. It's hard to say you like a book that has so many hard truths. I believe the author understands abusive relationships and did a very good job with the characters.
Spoilers: (view spoiler)
Liz
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another tough read but another one that was well worth it. I thought Bobbie was a great narrator and was really drawn into her story. I loved her relationship with Dan. I also thought the ambiguity in June's story and her "romance" with Craig was good.

I was slightly disappointed because I expected more focus on the court case but the main focus is on the interpersonal relationships between the characters.
Alison Large
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book touched me greatly. As a survivor of sexual abuse, it rang true on every level and explains more clearly than I ever could how I felt while I was going through it and how I feel about my abuser and what sex means for me today. I could completely understand Bobbie and her actions. An uncomfortable read but well worth it if you know anyone who has experienced this kind of abuse.

Marcia
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-library
First word that comes to mind for this book is disgusting. Not really for the book itself, but for the fact that there are really people out there like Craig and June.

Quotes:

It is more important that innocence be protected than it is that guilt be punished.

You always hold on to the damaging things people do

Death is no ending for anyone but the dying
Caroline Craig David
I genuinely thought this would be more interesting. It’s a good story but I felt like it could’ve been written differently. I found myself going back over what I read a lot because I didn’t catch things the first time.
Isaw
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
The DJ is another character to add to the list of evil people that are believable, I did have a laugh at some scenes, the make up counter, Mcdonalds you pay, motel fight and others, does that make me bad.
Mar 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
A hard to read book with the subject matter that kept me going because I wanted to see how it ended. It ended as an outrageous disappointment to me. I would not recommend.
Yasmina L.
Weird and uncomfortable but enthralling all the same.
Betty
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Really hard to read at times. But still good.
Cyndi
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
Another heartbreaking story of abuse and neglect. Very real characters who I either loved or hated. Well done on audio.
Jann
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very well written gripping story about manipulation and innocence. Will have to read more from this author.
« previous 1 3 next »

• 13 Ways of Looking at a Fat Girl
  • Everyone Knows How Much I Love You
  • Nothing Can Hurt You
  • Mischling
  • On Speed: The Many Lives of Amphetamine
  • America 3.0: The Little-Known Roots and Hopeful Future of American Prosperity, Freedom, and Family Life
  • The Pull of the Stars
  • What Unbreakable Looks Like
  • Four
  • The Eighth Girl
  • Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)
  • Love Lettering
  • I Did It for Us
  • Blue Ticket
  • We Wish You Luck
  • Separation Anxiety
  • The Doll Funeral
  • Recipe for a Perfect Wife
I write contemporary fiction for young adults and adults, though right now I'm concentrating on my YA thriller series, kicking off with Dragonfly Girl published by Harper Collins Feb '21.

I'm on Goodreads some, but if you have questions you can also find me on Twitter https://twitter.com/MartiLeimbach

In addition to all things literary, I'm interested in neurodiversity, young inventors, and science.