Start by marking “The Name of God is Mercy” as Want to Read:
The Name of God is Mercy

The Name of God is Mercy

Церква присутня у світі не для того, щоб засуджувати, але щоб посприяти зустрічі з цією найглибшою любов'ю, якою є Юоже милосердя. Але для того, щоб це сталося, необхідно виходити. Виходити з хвамів та парафій, виходити назовні та шукатилюдей там, де вони живуть, страждають і надіються.
Published January 12th 2016 by Random House (first published November 24th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Name of God is Mercy, please sign up.
Amie It is about Pope Francis' reasoning behind proclaims a Holy Year of Mercy. He speaks about why he believes Mercy to be at the heart of Christianity an…moreIt is about Pope Francis' reasoning behind proclaims a Holy Year of Mercy. He speaks about why he believes Mercy to be at the heart of Christianity and Catholicism. He uses anecdotes from his time as a confessor, his own journey of faith and his interpretation of bible teachings.(less)

Start your review of The Name of God is Mercy
Ina Cawl
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is was my first book i have read which is Co Authored by Pope
i really loved and enjoyed it
as a muslim i really urge that many muslim reads this book
and learn that mercy is first attribute and name to God or Allah
i hope this book is translated to Arabic and to other languages especially war torn Middle East

Caidyn (NO LONGER ACTIVE; he/him/his)
STOP THE PRESS!

I, Caidyn, an old atheist who is now more agnostic and integrative with my religious viewpoints, added a book by a Pope, to my favorites list. This is revolutionary news. This day should be noted in calendars. If my mom sees this, her heart is going to stop.

But... I love Pope Francis. Seriously. When he was elected when I was a junior in high school, I had a good feeling about him. Then, he started making his statements about LGBT ("Who am I to judge?") and climate and I was sold.
Sean Whelan
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only wish it were longer. What a mind this pope has! What a gift to the Church and the world he is. This book is a must read.
7jane
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to 7jane by: Ina Cawl
Shelves: religion
This book is a conversation of Pope Francis, with a Vatican reporter, on mercy and the Pope's Jubilee Year Of Mercy, with the bull for that year attached at the end. Within it there is memories of his youth and pastor experiences, talking about the reasons for choosing mercy as the theme, and other things. He says that the Church should be open to show God's mercy (thus showing autheticity), and go among people through charity, various events, etc.

It is a light read, but get a clear view of the
David
"The priest said he would go to the tabernacle and say to Jesus, 'I'm sorry I forgive too much, but it was you who set the bad example.'"

description

Andrea Tornielli's book is the result of an interview he had with Pope Francis on the topic of mercy. Pope Francis proclaimed the Holy Year of Mercy to begin on December 8, 2015 and end on November 20, 2016. This book, written in interview format, was published on November 24, 2015 and the unabridged audio CD on January 12, 2016.

Pope Francis avoids dense theolo
TK421
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
Mercy is the face of Christ. Period. The sooner people stop parsing the Bible for individual gain, the sooner the world can heal. No one has the right, nor the authority, to cast judgment on another. If you want to judge someone, look in a mirror.
Vesna
"The Lord never tires of forgiving: never! It is we who tire of asking him for forgiveness."
"This is the face of a Church that doesn't reproach men for their fragility and their wounds but treats them with the medicine of mercy."
"'It is something I enjoyed... and I would do it again. How can I repent? ...Yes, I am sorry that I am not sorry.' That sorrow is the opening that allows the merciful priest to give absolution."

These are the main messages that pope Francis tries to get across in this lit
booklady
The subject closest to Pope Francis’s heart is mercy, Divine Mercy. As he has done so often since, ‘Francis delivered his second homily as Pope and spoke off the cuff: “The message of Jesus is mercy. For me, and I say this with humility, it is the Lord’s strongest message.”’

This book has been a paradigm shift in my relationship with the God called ‘Mercy’. Having seen myself as the prodigal from the parable of the two sons, who asked for, received, and squandered his inheritance, it was a radica
Julie Davis
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lent
This was a gift from a friend and it was the book I began Lent with. The first part of the book is a Q&A between a Vatican reporter and the pope. As usual, Pope Francis is personable and clear answering the series of questions about mercy and its centrality in our Christian faith.

What might surprise many readers is that Francis spends an equal amount of time talking about sin, repentance, confession, and reconciliation. One can't receive or even recognize mercy unless one knows why it has been e
steph
One of my yearly goals for 2018 is to read one spiritual book a month. This was the February book I chose to read....er listen to, on my morning commute this week. And it was good.

I like how Pope Francis talked about mercy. And love. And forgiveness. I liked the interview style of this book, I felt like I was listening to a conversation between two friends. There were quite a few personal stories and experiences Francis shared in here but my favorite of them was when he said that every time he e
Bilal Hafeez
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I just finished reading Pope Francis' new book, "The Name Of God Is Mercy". It's a written in the form of conversation with the Vatican reporter and writer Andrea Tornielli. It's worth reading whatever one's belief system. At the intellectual level, it gives a sense of which direction one of the largest religious groups in the world is heading, and at the human level, it gives an expression of something unifying.

In the book, the Pope has as relentless focus on mercy and forgiveness and indeed ha
Daniel Chaikin
36. The Name of God Is Mercy (Audio)
An interview of Pope Francis by Andrea Tornielli, and an appendix of writings or speeches of Pope Francis
translated from Italian by Oonagh Stransky
readers: Fred Sanders reads for Pope Francis and Arthur Morey reads for Tornielli
published: 2016
format: digital audiobook (3:04 - roughly equivalent to 85 pages)
acquired: borrowed from my library
read: Jun 15-17
rating: 2 stars

The danger of audio is that I'll listen to practically anything.

I have liked what I heard
Sue K H
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a practicing Catholic anymore but I still have a lot of love for the Church and have found all of the Popes in my lifetime to be very inspiring. I go to a different church now mostly for fellowship and community, but I could easily see myself returning to the Catholic Church some day.

This discussion of Mercy (and Justice), is outstanding and agrees with my how my current church understands it. No one can put limits on God's Mercy. Pope Francis gives great biblical examples (from the old
Justin
An Incredible Read

I am a big fan of this pope and I am not even Catholic! I found his words on what forgiveness looks like, what mercy means, and his general look at life so refreshing.
The book is written as an interview- question and then answer. The answers are brief and to the point, but they are deep. Even though this is just a 100 pg book or so, I took my time to read the responses carefully as they were rich.
There will be some who question his focus on the natural sinfulness of the person
Brad Rees
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
A couple of beautiful images from this book:

When a donkey is injured on the trail, it wouldn’t be productive to beat the donkey back into motion. Rather the donkey needs to be cared for and healed. So it is with us as sinners.

The confessional should not be a torture chamber but rather a place of mercy and relief.

God is likely more quick to let go of anger than he is to let go of mercy.

This is a beautiful book. We all need mercy and forgiveness of god. And as god will forgive whom he will forgive
Friar Stabin John Capuchin
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: catholic, 2018-read
I enjoyed this book. The way Pope Francis answers to the questions are really interesting. There is newness in his way of thinking.
Angie Simmonds
Feb 15, 2016 rated it liked it
I feel almost blasphemous saying this, but I really wasn't that impressed with this book. Expecting a deep pontifical writing, what i got instead was a question and answer session between a man and Pope Francis. Pope Francis is such a loving gentle man and listening to this on audio, clearly translated by someone who is not the Pope did not allow that warmth and caring to come across. I'm thinking that maybe if I had read this one is would have lingered more in what was being said instead of pic ...more
Samcwright
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a short but beautiful book. The more I’ve learned about justice, mercy, and the atonement of Christ, the less I feel I know. I’ve learned so much about by own faith by appreciating the insights of others. Pope Francis explains that mercy is not excusing sin, but actually an acknowledgment of sin. Sin wounds both the individual and society collectively. And the end of justice and mercy should be love. Love of God and our neighbor. The Law stated that the contaminated should be excluded, b ...more
Mary
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is not a story, nor is it scintillating prose. Instead, it is a conversation with a man whose deep sincerity shines through. There is much to think about here. I loved the book because it led me to ask what mercy means and how I could be more merciful in my own life. One of the "shockers" was the Pope's repeating that shame was a gift, and that we should be grateful that we could feel it. If we could, that meant we could repent and be forgiven. That's just one of the ideas that stayed in my ...more
Andrew
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
From a popular Pope, from whom we may have expected the unexpected, comes a surprisingly unsurprising old-school Catholic text. Not fire-and-brimstone old-school, but more village priest jovial old-school. Full of plenty of anecdotes back from Buenos Aires and a message of the mercy that searches out everyone.

And the omnipresent Catholic grandmothers who often have a pragmatic, earthy grasp of their faith and regularly tell-off their priests.
John
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: catholic
An interview with Francis. He stresses that the primary attribute of God is mercy. Not the God I grew up with. Those of us who don't see that we are sinners are in trouble. If we acknowledge our sins, we can go again and again to God. He never tires of forgiving if we humbly go to him.
Francis did not mention it but I think of the Jesus prayer from the Eastern Orthodox Church: Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on me a sinner.
Rita Vill
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading this book, had a whole new outlook on the real meaning of "sinner". When Pope Francis says we are sinners, he means that we are not perfect. The way he uses the word "sinner" is not in the typical catholic tone coloring someone very bad and damned to hell.

Francis has a way of using this word in a very compassionate tone. It was a very refreshing catholic perspective for being a recovering catholic.
Natallia
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A really beautiful and easy to read publication. The interview with the Pope opens up what it is to experience God's mercy, not only for Christians but also for everyone. Not too immersed in theological language which makes it easier to understand and grasp the concept of God's love for all of us.
Giacominafiorino
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's very enlightening in understanding that God really is mercifully towards our sins, and His love for us is unconditional. This book reminds us that we have to use mercy toward others as well to ourselves.
Cindi
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, 2016
What an insightful, intelligent man this Pope is! I'm not Catholic however I got so much out of this book that I recommend it for all readers. Very well done.
Marc-Antoine
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book made me feel good.
Kyra
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This was really insightful for looking at the concept of having a confessor for the forgiveness of sins/God’s mercy in regards to the forgiveness of sins. In addition, I thought Francis’s discussion of sin vs. corruption was very interesting & not something I’d heard before. ...more
Millie
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was inspired and uplifted by this book. Though I am an active and contented member of the LDS church, I value the similarities between the Catholic faith and my own, namely our mutual emphasis on the preservation of the family, and our understanding of God's merciful and forgiving nature. This book gave me greater insight into Pope Francis's values and ministry and I believe him to be a truly honest, Christlike individual. Some passages from the book that I liked:

“The family is the first schoo
BHodges
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable interview with the Pope, who declared 2015-2016 a Year of Mercy. The bull of indiction itself is included in an appendix. I was especially interested in the discussions about confession and the confessor in Catholicism. Here are a few excerpts that stood out to me.

-Pope Francis on listening to confessions:

"I always thought about myself, about my own sins, and about my need for mercy, and so I tried to forgive a great deal" (28).

-On how to seek forgiveness from God:

"He ought to refl
Sandy
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, religious
I didn’t know what to expect from this book but I knew that I wanted to read it. The book is a question and answer book as the Pope answers questions posed to him by a Vatican reporter and his answers are spoken using everyday language with experiences relating to his childhood, religious doctrine and his current life. I found reading this book relaxing and powerful as I would relate to the many things that he spoke about. Mercy is the word that is repeated continuously and is an important messa ...more
Goodreads Italia: Francesco über alles 27 92 Feb 08, 2016 05:53AM

• The Great Reformer: Francis and the Making of a Radical Pope
  • A Call to Mercy: Hearts to Love, Hands to Serve
  • Catechism of the Catholic Church
  • Jesus of Nazareth: The Infancy Narratives
  • The End and the Beginning: Pope John Paul II -- The Victory of Freedom, the Last Years, the Legacy
  • Hail, Holy Queen: The Mother of God in the Word of God
  • Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism
  • Crossing the Threshold of Hope
  • The Seven Storey Mountain
  • Catholicism: A Journey to the Heart of the Faith
  • Jesus of Nazareth, Part Two: Holy Week: From the Entrance into Jerusalem to the Resurrection
  • The Way of Perfection
  • The Pope: Francis, Benedict, and the Decision That Shook the World
  • Native Americans
Pope Francis (Latin: Franciscus; Italian: Francesco; Spanish: Francisco; born Jorge Mario Bergoglio, 17 December 1936) is the 266th and current Pope of the Roman Catholic Church, a title he holds ex officio as Bishop of Rome, and Sovereign of the Vatican City. He chose Francis as his papal name in honor of Saint Francis of Assisi. Francis is the first Jesuit pope, the first from the Americas, the ...more

News & Interviews

“The most important thing in the life of every man and every woman is not that they should never fall along the way. The important thing is always to get back up, not to stay on the ground licking your wounds.” 16 likes
“By welcoming a marginalized person whose body is wounded and by welcoming the sinner whose soul is wounded, we put our credibility as Christians on the line. Let us always remember the words of Saint John of the Cross: “In the evening of life, we will be judged on love alone.” 9 likes