Start by marking “Rath's Deception (The Janus Group, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rath's Deception (The Janus Group, #1)

Rath's Deception

(The Janus Group #1)

On the cut-throat streets of Tarkis, orphaned teens like Rath end up jailed … or dead. So when the shadowy Janus Group offers Rath a chance to earn riches beyond his wildest dreams, he seizes it. But the Janus Group is as ruthless as the elite assassins it controls. Rath will have to survive their grueling, off-world training, and fulfill all fifty kills in his contract be ...more
Published October 30th 2015 by Piers Platt

To ask other readers questions about Rath's Deception, please sign up.
Piers Platt Hi CL! Sorry I missed this question for so long! Rath's training was undoubtedly more physically demanding than my own, so I can't really say our…moreHi CL! Sorry I missed this question for so long! Rath's training was undoubtedly more physically demanding than my own, so I can't really say our experiences were similar. However, I think some of the intentionally pointless tasks that Rath are given reflect actual military training, in my experience...part of training a soldier definitely involves teaching him/her to follow orders, even when they make no sense. And the way Rath handles those tasks is similar to my own attitude, I think. There's a piece of me in Rath, for sure ;-)(less)

Gavin
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This was a fairly average read. It was mildly interesting but never exciting. It was pulp sci-fi with a noir mystery feel.

The world building was pretty good and the plot was moderately interesting. The flaw that held this back from being a more entertaining read was the fact that none of the characters inspired any level of emotional investment. Another slight flaw was the complete lack of humor.

The basic plot was pretty cool. Rath is recruited by the mysterious Janus Group into their assassin
Cats of Ulthar
Review of RATH'S DECEPTION by Piers Platt
[Janus Group #1]

Rath's Deception is the first in a delightful hard-science fiction series set in the somewhat distant future. [Distant because of many colonized planets, faster-than-light travel, medical upgrades far in advance of anything dreamed of today--except in science fiction, and highly-advanced nanotechnology, controllable by the user.] The protagonist is a young man with whom most readers can identify. We first meet him at fourteen, devoted to h
Frédéric
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Decent cyberpunkish thriller but nothing to keep you on the edge of your seat.

So Rath enters a very hush-hush guild of untraceable assassins. He has 50 kills to perform before hitting the jackpot and retirement. A journalist and a cop are trying to get proof of the existence of this guild.

After basic training it's basically a succession of murder before a subplot emerges and goes toward an end you can see coming from miles away around half the book. The characters are a bit functional and could
E.J. Fisch
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, cyberpunk, own-it
I received a free advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Call me morbid, but I’m kind of a sucker for cold-blooded assassins. When the author offered me a free read-for-review copy, I agreed without hesitation. The premise alone was enough to pique my curiosity: mysterious group recruits and trains troubled orphans to complete contract kills, and once the contractors complete 50 kills, they’re entitled to 50% of the profits from said contracts. But everything is not as it see
Kim
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Janus Group is an interplanetary corporation that operates assassins. For law enforcement its existence is no more than rumor and it's been that way for a few hundred years. They have a unique recruitment program. They recruit orphan teens, male or female, and offer to teach them the trade on a very specific contract. They must accept any job. At the end of 50 assassinations the recruit will split 50% of what Janus Group received for all the jobs. The 50/50 plan. If they get killed on the jo ...more
AudioBookReviewer
My original Rath's Deception audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Rath’s Deception by Pier Platt is the first novel in a series called The Janus Group. After becoming an orphan at a young age and fending for himself on the streets of Tarkis, Rath is recruited by the Janus Group to become a sought after intergalactic assassin. The contract is for 50 kills. If the contract assassin survives 50 kills, then he or she is entitled to 50% of the money that the Janus group
Siim Aus
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately i did not find this book gripping, novel or even interesting in tiniest of bits. Its plain, unimaginative and so very shallow. Every time i turned page, i fought urge to put the book down. Finally I did. I just did not get any feel of character development, plot development or anything a kind. Just some super-tech description without any attempt to relate to physics. Plain third-eye view of some linear characters unerring and untroubled plodding through unlikely events. Somehow San ...more
C.L.
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
High-stakes thrill ride - truly entertaining

Platt has found his niche in writing a series that is fresh, inventive and captivating. Rath, orphaned, is sold the idea of joining a super-secret organization of highly-lethal assassins. His task? Get 50 confirmed kills and he gets 50% of the monetary rewards. The only thing is, he can't get caught and he can't fail, regardless of the assignment. Can he make it to 50, and can he trust his employers?

Think Jason Bourne with the high-tech of James Bond c
Vaughn
May 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
Unfortunately I found the book absolutely painful to read. Perhaps I'll give the second book a go, but only because I finally became partially invested in the last few chapters.

A few of my major issues with the novel:

The world (universe) that the novel is set in seems so lazily constructed. I only got a decent sense of the uniqueness of a few of the later planets visited, otherwise I don't see why this novel wasn't set primarily on Earth. In one instance the author didn't even bother to give a p
Micah Till
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Rath's Deception is a burned spy story with a twist. Instead of starting with a veteran agent who is framed for something they've never done, we follow Rath, orphaned and disconnected on the lower tier of his planet (both socially and physically), as he is recruited by The Guild (also known as the Janus Group) . He is trained as an assassin and given the type of equipment one might actually expect a shadowy organization in a high-tech society to rely on. His goal is "50 for 50." Upon his 50th ki ...more
Ian Massey
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
A reasonably un-taxing SF adventure featuring an anti-hero that, so far, has become neither likable or unlikable.

The emphasis is on the action, rather than character building, with a large amount of the book spent describing the increasingly elaborate kills that the title character pulls off. Consequently, there is little background on the universe that the story takes place in - it's obviously far-future and mankind has spread to the stars, but no history is given.

One rather jarring scene, wher
Barbara
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf
2 1/2 stars from me. An interesting premise but I felt it was rather clumsily executed. Some parts were well done, but others left me going "huh?".

The Janus Group/Guild recruits orphans off the street and spends a lot of time and money training them, for plausible reasons - good. However, while they have a high regard for assassinations that don't get a lot of attention, they don't spend any time teaching their street kids how to blend in - huh?

I did like that the main character, Rath, is not ve
Graeme Tindale
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found this book to be very enjoyable. The plot is interesting with lots of side excursions to keep in mind. The development of the character is good and one is always wondering how it shakes out. That said, it is decently written but not brilliant. While I am interested in seeing where is the story leads, it is not a book that I would like to come back to or remember strongly in future. Hence, the four star rating rating – but I do recommend it.
Daniel

What a tedious read! "Rath's Deception" is terribly unimaginative, stale and shallow. There is little to no character building nor any character arcs and world building is virtually non-existent (okay, I know there are multiple levels to the city and flying cars - great!). The plot consists of little more than crudely constructed assassination attempts by the main protagonists on which he escapes literally every-f*cking-time from the brink of death by pulling some weird stunt with his 3D-printer
Dave  Griffin
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Action and mayhem.

Rath is a teen from the dregs of a planet that is heavily populated and stratified. Drugs and crime surround his family. His older brother tries to protect him and keep that lifestyle away from him. But, his brother, Vonn, is in that life, and makes a mistake that costs him his life. And Rath's life changes forever.
Recruited and trained as an elite assassin, Rath uses his skills to exact revenge. If he can accrue 50 kills, he can retire.........or, can he?
This was a fun read,
Jim Kratzok
Very good story.

This is book 1 of The Janus Group series. Rath is a Guild assassin, a professional who is working on completing his contracted 50 kills. He's not in the top tier of assassins, he a level 4, but still seems to be determined to get the job done. The terms of his contact are that after he completes his 50 kills, he gets paid 50 % of the accumulated payments that clients have made for his "expertise" over the years. The question is, will he make it?
Martin Watts
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
For Rath the legendary Guild is the way out of the slums of Tarkis to a comfortable life as an assassin. Gradually he comes to question the whole operation of the guild as he approaches the completion of his 50 hit contract. But what does the Guild have in store for him once the contract is complete?
John Shearer
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Raths Reception (1)

This story is typical for a sci-fi novel. All the characters are more interesting than the story as a whole. At times the story drags and till it gets moving again is very suspect.
Juan M
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Rath's Deception is my first sci-fi read so going in I did not know what to expect. It was a pleasant surprise to find and engaging and fast paced read that took hold of my attention from the beginning. I would definitely read the rest of the series.
Adam Windsor
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
Serviceable but not terribly engaging SF tale about an orphan recruited into an interstellar league of assassins. Suffers from a lack of emotionally engaging protagonists and a pretty much entire lack of antagonists: the shadowy bad guys are so shadowy as to be non-existent, on the page.
Carolyn Garcia jolly
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly great

I got this book for free on prime and honestly didn't expect much. I was surprised to find that I couldn't put it down. Great plot, great action, great characters. I will definitely be headed for the sequel.
David Minor
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good read and I enjoy reading a well written novel. Readers of military science fiction should enjoy this book.

When did machine take over the world so that I have to have a working count before I can post
Stephen Wenzel
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly, not bad. Would continue the series.
Volpot
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. OK story. Felt like an extended setup. Not sure I care enough about the MC and other potential characters to read any sequels
Louis R.
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Solid read

Got led here via his Oz trilogy and am enjoying this new series quite a lot. Solidly enjoyable for sure.
Zetagilgamesh
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Space Spies

Fast paced and exciting. The characters are interesting, the situations are engaging. This feels like the setup for the rest of the story over the next two books.
Neil Molyneux
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Scfi action adventure

A Very entertaining book with a good pace well written & engaging characters, that lead you on a assassins moral story leads well into the next book
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
This review was originally posted to Jen in Bookland

Rath's Deception was such a fun read. I am so glad I gave it a read even though I was hesitant at first. Really I am usually hesitant to try anything space related since growing up I pretty much hated it all. If it was set in space, had to do with space travel, aliens, anything like that was a no go. However I find I enjoy quite a bit of it now so I need to give more sci-fi books a try.

Rath is a kid living on the streets in the lowest
astaliegurec
May 20, 2016 rated it liked it
"Rath's Deception," the first book in Piers Platt's "The Janus Group" series, is a decent book with decent writing and a fairly good story. That's not exactly high praise, but the book is a reasonable way to spend some time: there's nothing really wrong with it. I do have some complaints about it, though:

- I don't really have a word to explain this, but the writing is a bit thin or convenient. People say or do things that they really shouldn't, just to move the plot along. This gets much better
Barry
Feb 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Best ebook I've read so far, surprising since the previous book I had read of Platt's was awful! This one one would have been better if the story was more streamlined, there was a huge amount of time covered in a relatively short book.
  • Seeing Red (Ambassador, #1)
  • The Star Cross (Star Cross, #1)
  • Renegade (The Spiral Wars, #1)
  • Cobra Slave (Cobra Rebellion #1)
  • First Strike (The Kurgan War, #1)
  • Search and Recovery (Retrieval Artist, #11)
  • Starship's Mage: Omnibus (Starship's Mage, #1)
  • Empty Space
  • Take the Star Road (The Maxwell Saga, #1)
  • Veteran (Veteran, #1)
  • The Black Planet (Steven Gordon Series, #2)
  • Space Scout
  • Salvage Merc One (Salvage Merc One #1)
  • The Battle for Commitment Planet (Helfort's War, #4)
  • Prototype D (Prototype D #1)
  • Flagship (A Captain's Crucible #1)
  • Blackjack Wayward (Blackjack #2)
  • Fey.
I grew up in Boston, but spent most of my childhood in various boarding schools, including getting trained as a classical singer at a choir school for boys. I joined the Army in 2002, and spent four years on active duty, including a year-long deployment to Iraq in 2004 as a tank and scout platoon leader.

When I’m not spending time with my lovely wife and daughter, I’m frantically working on my next

The Janus Group (6 books)
  • Rath's Gambit (The Janus Group #2)
  • Rath's Reckoning (The Janus Group #3)
  • Rath's Trial (The Janus Group #4)
  • Rath's Rebellion (The Janus Group #5)
  • Rath's Redemption (The Janus Group #6)