Start by marking “Magrit” as Want to Read:
Magrit

Magrit

Magrit lives in an abandoned cemetery with her friend and advisor, Master Puppet, whom she built from bones and bits of graveyard junk. One night as Magrit and Master Puppet sit atop of their crumbling chapel, a passing stork drops a baby into the graveyard. Defying Master Puppet’s demands that the baby be disposed of, and taking no heed of his dire warnings, Magrit decide ...more
Published March 1st 2016 by Walker Books

To ask other readers questions about Magrit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magrit

Aimee
Mar 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I received a copy of Magrit to review from Walker Books Australia. This is a junior book but I thought it sounded interesting.

Magrit has been living in the cemetery for years with only Master Puppet for company when the mysterious bundle falls into her world. Then, things start changing. Especially her friendship with Master Puppet.

I thought I had the story figured out early in the book but then some things started to confuse me a little. But it turned out I did have the right idea. The reader l
Sharon
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: halloween-reads
A beautiful story about a lonely little girl named Magrit. Magrit lives in a Graveyard with her only friend, Master Puppet, fashioned from bones and junk.

One day, a stork drops a baby into the Graveyard. Magrit loves him instantly, names him Bugrat, and devotes her days to teaching him and taking care of him. But the day will come when Bugrat must leave - and then the truth about Magrit will be revealed.

A wonderful, beautiful, sad story perfect for this time of year. Reminiscent of Sebastian G
Bruce Gargoyle
Ten Second Synopsis:
Magrit has had the run of the forgotten graveyard between apartment blocks for as long as she can remember, kept company by the rats and Master Puppet, her skeleton friend. When a baby appears in the graveyard, secrets may be uncovered that will change the way Magrit sees the world, and herself.

If you are a fan of Neil Gaiman’s The Graveyard Book, and have wished that there existed a book very like it, but suited to a younger audience, Lee Battersby has fulfilled that wish in
Luna
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Magrit is one of those books that I came to unexpectedly and loved instantly.

Magrit is nearly ten and lives in a graveyard, her only friend is Master Puppet, a skeleton she built from bones and rubbish. One day ‘the terrible thing’ as Master Puppet calls it, arrives. It’s a baby and Magrit wants to keep it – Master Puppet wants her to kill it, saying it will be the end of everything.

I loved the story and how it was told. There is a fairy-tale feel when reading this book, Master Puppet, how Magri
Steve lovell
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've eschewed crime, whodunits, mysteries, sci-fi, dystopian, fantasy for years now – not because I have anything against them, but more from worry that I'd get hooked, when I'm already hooked on so much. But when two writers, usually plying their trade in those areas, veered a little into my territory, I gave them a go.

I'd read a review of Michael Robotham's 'The Secrets She Keeps' citing this was a break from his normal output, that being related to the solving of crime. He was lauded as one o
Alan Baxter
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Macabre and fantastical, just creepy enough but with hope and love to shine through. It's a fable of sorts, and a dream. I can imagine this enchanting younger readers, for whom it's obviously written. Recommended.
Pocket Full of Pages
We received a copy of Magrit to review from Walker Books Australia! Thank you very much for sending it our way!

We have to admit we haven’t had the chance to read many Children’s Middle-Grade books for quite a while! However, Magrit by Lee Battersby really spoke to us as it’s such a beautiful novel.

The novel really helped open our eyes to the people and situations around us. As the main character, Magrit slowly opens up about her emptiness and loneliness, the graveyard which she calls home slowl
Trisha
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fable of sorts. Just scary enough.
Alex (PaperbackPiano)

I loved this beautiful, strange, surprisingly poignant little book. Magrit and Bugrat were wonderful characters and I enjoyed the creepy atmosphere the author created. Things took a heavier turn towards the end and, I admit, I shed a few tears! Maybe I was being a bit dim but I genuinely didn't expect the twist in the story until I was a good way through it.

I would say that the comparisons to Neil Gaiman and Tim Burton are accurate, and would recommend this to fans of more macabre fan
Anthony Panegyres
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rhythmic prose. Refreshing to read a layered, intelligent children’s novel.
Alicia Papp
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A rather strange, beautiful and poignant fable. And a fabulous looking book. A quick, but moving read about friendship, loyalty, growing up and death!
Adele Broadbent
Magrit lives in an abandoned cemetery, surrounded by tenement buildings. When a stork flies by and drops a crying bundle into the cemetery, her only friend Master Puppet (who she made herself out of bones and sticks and rags), tells her to leave it alone. But she can't and as soon as she picks it up knows what it is. And she also knows, if she doesn't quieten it, one of the surrounding tenement windows will open and discover her hiding place.

A quick read, but one that holds you until you discove
Lisa Ikin
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this book because all the kids in my Year 5 class have read it and they were raving about it. I read it pretty quickly and found it a marvellous read! It was a little spooky and deep but it is the type of book the 10 year old me would have absolutely loved. Reading it as an adult was interesting and I found I was analysing it quite a bit, even coming to the conclusion that Magritte was schizophrenic which made me think that maybe it was a bit too much for children. But as it turns out, th ...more
Tehani
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My review for this book will appear in Books+Publishing, but I can say here HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. It's a superbly written, just-dark-enough, thought-provoking and shivery story, beautifully packaged. You won't regret getting your hands on it, for yourself or the younger reader in your life, when it is released in March.
Alana
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another local author, another stunning piece of work. This book is the author's first childrens/YA book and is a beauty. Moving and powerful, funny and sad. If I had read or been read this as a child it would have stayed with me forever
Abbey
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I can't wait for people to read this! It's got a bit of Neil Gaiman to it but it's very different at the same time. I loved Master Puppet for some reason but even though as an adult I guessed the ending, I don't think the intended audience will.
Naomi
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
A beautifully-woven and poignant story. Quite heavy subject matter for junior fiction but an interesting way to approach death and life beyond. This is very cleverly written and enchanting. It is also visually appealing, or at least my copy is. Well worth the read.

4 stars
Christina Hwang
What the heck did i just read??
Greg Chapman
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Melinda Szymanik
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lovely, poignant, original story, fresh voice and terrific writing.
Georgie
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
The second book I can describe as both 'creepy' and 'lovely'. Magrit, an almost-10 year old girl lives in an abandoned cemetery with Master Puppet who she created out of bones she found. As forgotten as the cemetery and its residents, Magrit lives a fairly happy existence. Everything changes when a passing stork drops a baby into the cemetery. Against Master Puppet's advice, Magrit rescues the baby and names him Bugrat. But as Bugrat grows up, can Magrit keep her existence secret?

'Magrit' is ab
Michelle Ham
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Book 1 for 2018. 2 stars.

This is an aesthetically pleasing book and that's why I took it out from under my eight-year-old daughter's nose (it was a Christmas gift from her paternal grandparents) before she had a chance to read it. Her nan said that maybe I should read it first to determine whether or not it's too scary for my daughter - that gave me license to nick it!
It seems a bit morbid for children. Or maybe just a bit morbid for me? The revelation towards the end may be thrilling for the y
James
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
plenty of comparison to 'The Graveyard Book' by Neil Gaiman, but i think they're way off the mark... the tales are just too different in tone... Magrit is a harsh and tough tale about a lonely girl, living in a lonely world (cue Journey, if you follow...) and how she eventually comes to grips with her situation... a bit confusing at times, a few "aha!" moments... a bit heavy on the symbolism, but an altogether intriguing read...
Earwen
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-childrens
This was kind of pointless. It was very short, and nothing much happened. The twist at the end was not even a real twist, it was obvious from page one. I honestly thought the twist was going to be that was not true after all. Even for a kids book. On the positives: there were some passages here and there that I liked, oh, and the cover is gorgeous.
Evlissa
Aug 21, 2018 rated it did not like it

Michelle
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: youth-literature
This started out a little too similar to Gaiman's Graveyard book, which worried me at first, but then it took an entirely different turn and turned out to be a touching, thoughtful, sort of creepy, quasi-horror read for middle grade (8 or 9 years old +). Would recommend.
Jaq
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting book, and i'm still trying to work out where I would put it in the library.

It's a story that makes you wonder what sort of society would be existing where children are delivered, and lost children never found.
Jess
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
this was dark and twisty and amazingly written! it’s listed as a children’s book, but it was pretty spooky, so be warned!
Hayley Chewins
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in one sitting. I just couldn't put it down. Utterly gorgeous and thoroughly disquieting.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Leila Simpson - Ms Correia 1 2 Jul 18, 2017 03:57PM
NZ Intermediate S...: Magrit 2 11 Feb 14, 2017 11:45PM
Lee Battersby is the multiple-award winning author of the novels 'The Corpse-Rat King' and 'Marching Dead' (Angry Robot, 2012, 2013) as well as the children's novel 'Magrit' (Walker Books, 2016) and over 70 short stories, many of which are collected in 'Through Soft Air' (Prime Books 2006). He has appeared in markets as diverse as Year's Best Fantasy & Horror Volume 20; Year's Best Australian ...more