Start by marking “Red Soil Through Our Fingers” as Want to Read:
Red Soil Through Our Fingers

Red Soil Through Our Fingers

A Mars colonist accepts a deal with a mining company to start a new life on humanity's off-world frontier. But idealism turns to unease when reality becomes darker than the fine print foretold. With his farm under bio-genetic attack and the most powerful player on the planet as an enemy, Malika has no choice but to run... and expose economic slavery on an interplanetary sc ...more
ebook
Published January 15th 2016 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Red Soil Through Our Fingers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Soil Through Our Fingers

Tashawnee Gaines
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was very informative and I am waiting on the sequel!! I was able to connect this to sustainability and the importance of taking care of the environment. The different characters in the book can be connected to everyday life. It was very interesting to read as well about the colonization on Mars, as well as, what needs to be done to live there. Mars lacks of resources and no oxygen and no water. So the way they create different things such as different machinery to make the genetic form ...more
Brukasya Brown
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book has made me become a little more interested in science fiction novels. It allowed me to expand my imagination just a little further and made me question some of the things that I thought about reality. This book grabbed and was able to keep my attention. This story elaborates on how important it is to maintain the sustainability of the environment, Mars included. It shows how sustainability is what runs the cycle of life. Without it, resources become ruined and have a negative impact o ...more
Unique Grimes
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Red Soil Through Our Fingers by N.A Ratnayake poses a scientific and realistic view on colonizing on Mars. His main protagonist is a farmer who experiences the same turmoil that farmer do on earth. Things are different because living on Mars, humans have to adapt to live in a close loop to live sustainability .
Weedyna
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nalin poses a very critical look on Mars colonization and how it may affect us at some point in the future life. This book takes a stand on the lack of resources that it contains on how difficult it is for someone to live on Mars. I strongly suggest reading this book to get insight on how terror on the planet on sustainable yield is very rough for economic challenges for humanity itself.
Aleene
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ratnayake brings this possible future in space to life. The imagery used within the text made me feel as though i was there with the characters. He brings in real life factors that are needed in order to sustain life on Mars. He brings in problems that could pose for us within the future and opens up a world that can have different possibilities. I would definitely recommend this to someone.
Chibueze Mbawuike
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was very informational,insightful and breathe taking. This book gave the real life effects of mars on a group of humans colonizing on mars. The adversity, trials and tribulations and the inconvenient truth that people must face at times is shown through the book. Red Soil is the book to read and if you don't read it you will be missing out.
Carra
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is brilliant! Great depiction of how the charters each symbolize a part of human desires such as the desire of greed, control, freedom etc. It is very important for us to start thinking about our transition to mars and this book foreshadow the possible conflicts that will arise once we step foot on the planet of Mars.
Danelia
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is really spot on with the idea of living sustainable! It goes in depth about the ecological, economic, social, and political pressures that are caused by a "survival of the fittest" mentality. It also catalyzes thought in the reader's mind about what can be done to preserve what little resources we have left on Earth.
Clara
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is really science-based, Ratnayake poses a really good look at Mars colonization. With the very little resources and a completely different environment, Ratnayake does a good job imposing the rules and restriction people must face in order to live sustainably in the new environment.
Laurie
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Had a great depiction of our economic, social, and ecological system on Earth. Successfully carried this into the colonization of Mars. Great novel!
L.F.
Morgan
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
+Nalin Ratnayake's Red Soil Through Our Fingers surprised me. First off, it’s pretty short as far as epic tales of Martian colonization go, certainly a quicker read than “The Martian,” and quite bit shorter (obviously) than say Red Mars. Having met and talked with the author before I expected something like Kim Stanley Robinson's take on the planet: sweeping explorations of an entire planet and its evolving society through hundreds of years, a cast of hundreds drawn into revolutions, political m ...more
Julianna Ulrich
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Red Soil Through Our Fingers is a fascinating combination of socio-political issues and the future of engineering and space travel. The main character, Mahela, is an everyman and therefore easy to connect with. Mahela is successful through his own hard work and through overcoming obstacles and he stands up for what's right. The driving plot is one honest man against a corrupt system, trying to right the wrongs of the corporation and save others from their tyrannical reign. Most fascinating to me ...more
Alistair Young
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this more and the SF aspects are solid, but there's no escaping the fact that it's message fiction, and honestly, fairly anvilicious message fiction.

(Those who know me may well be shrugging at this point and attributing it to my disagreeing with the author's politics, but honestly, guys, msgfic isn't something that works well for me even when I agree with every last detail. Your mileage may vary on this point, and if it does, you'll enjoy the book.)
Sean Clarke
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed it so much I read it in two sittings while traveling. It was surreal to look a century into the future at the social and economic challenges of humanity's settlement of a new planet while looking down on the clouds from 33,000 feet in the air. I'm looking forward to Ratnayake's next book!
Neida Ulysse
Sep 20, 2018
Kevin
Jan 29, 2016
Michel-Ange
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Red Soil through our fingers" illustrates precisely how humans neglect the world around them for their own selfish benefits.As a soil biologists, red soil gives me the idea that the genetic engineering of red soil does not allow for sustainable yield.
Ben Mckee
Mar 24, 2019
John
is currently reading it
Nov 13, 2018
NOTICE: I will no longer be updating my GoodReads presence, and am in the process of migrating all of my reading updates to BookLikes.
***********

Nalin Ratnayake is an engineer, educator, and writer presently living in Hampton Roads, Virginia. He has worked on advanced aeronautical flight projects as well as launch vehicles and deep-space systems, having published 11 technical papers in the aerosp