Start by marking “Portraits Of Dread: A Gallery Of Decidedly Evil Short Stories.” as Want to Read:
Portraits Of Dread: A Gallery Of Decidedly Evil Short Stories.

Portraits Of Dread: A Gallery Of Decidedly Evil Short Stories.

In this collection of twelve stories, Michael J. Elliott examines dread in all it's many forms,
In MOTHER CALLED TODAY a woman becomes increasingly fearful of her demanding mother's incessant phone calls. She has a horrible secret about her mother, something she is too scared to share with anyone.
In THE LITTLE MAN ON TOP OF THE WARDROBE Four year old James has always been
Published October 31st 2015

To ask other readers questions about Portraits Of Dread, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Portraits Of Dread

JD Estrada
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Although some stories in this collection are something other than horror, the vast majority are decidedly macabre, but more importantly, very creative. I say this not to deter you from this collection but as a nod to Michael J. Elliot and his flexibility as a story teller. One story is intensely dystopian while another is dramatic to extremely effective levels. The rest of the stories are intensely wicked and focus on playing with your senses as well as your emotions.

You have stories with vampi
C.L. Schneider
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a dark and delightful collection of horror! As a fan of the genre, this anthology was a joy to read. I love the author’s imagination. The way he weaves each story is brilliant. You know the cringe-worthy moments are coming, but they get you every time. I tried to pick a favorite. Mother Called Today really got me. As did Reconstructing Teddy. But I honestly found each one as creepy and engaging as the last. The writing is excellent and full of twists that keep you guessing. The author has a ...more
Chrissy Moon
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you pick up a book by Michael J. Elliott, you know you’re going to be entertained, disturbed, and frightened.

That was true for me in this case, but there is something else to note about his writing: While these stories have the initial appearance of being “cheap thrills,” they are actually anything but. If you take your time reading these, underneath the goosebumps and looking over your shoulder, you will find wonderful stories about the human condition.

But back to the fright. These tales co
Jason Greensides
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A BRILLIANT COLLECTION OF HORROR SHORT STORIES

I really enjoyed this collection of horror short stories. The author's imagination is wonderful and the stories here are all varied enough to keep you engaged until the end.

Dinner for Two is a truly brilliant and very funny story; Defective Goods takes an everyday situation - returning an unwanted purchase - that keeps you guessing all the way to a suitably horrific ending. I also loved Reconstructing Teddy, which features two brothers with a dark s
A.L. Sayge
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this anthology of Michael J. Elliott's work. It's smart, clever, and makes you think. In fact, a couple of the stories really stuck with me to the point that they became discussions with fellow readers and writers. Elliott brings in various societal issues that we all recognize, then he flips our heads around a bit until we say, "Oh wow! What an amazing concept!" - even if it horrifies us. His stories are anything but predictable; he catches readers off guard with his twists a ...more
Michael Stern
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Portraits of Dread, by Michael J. Elliott is a collection of macabre stories, each a little different. I've read Mr. Elliott's stories in the past, and find him not as horror laden as many, but just as much fun to read. I am decidedly not a horror story fan, not even in childhood. I shy away from horror movies, going back to the many Dracula movies, and even Lon Chaney as the Werewolf. But Portraits of Dread is a wonderful change of pace for someone who is trying to expand his reading horizons. ...more
Sunshine Somerville
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This collection is brilliant. And I'm not British, so I feel the need to point out I actually mean brilliant. Almost every single one of these stories starts out in a completely familiar, unassuming setting. Then some weird, horrific, incredible bomb is dropped and you suddenly realize that something completely different is going on. I alternated between laughing in surprise to making sounds of "Oh, ew, ugh!" whenever I read a twist.

The writing itself is excellent. Elliott has a particular tone
Rebekah Jonesy
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was expecting a collection of horror stories, what I got was a collection of stories of dread and horror. The title is spot on and a good indication of what you will find inside. This isn't a collection of basic crazed maniac preying on women. Each story elicits a new type of dread. The bogeyman, strangers, wild animals, the apocalypse, and those creepy kids who always seem a little too smiley.
Peggy
Jun 01, 2016
David
Dec 25, 2015
Johannus Steger
Mar 24, 2016
D.M. Cain
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastically evil - I loved this!

See my full video review here: https://youtu.be/6yRGy8sjYhA
Christie Stratos
Oct 31, 2015
Michael Elliott
Nov 05, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Joe Compton