Start by marking “One Crow Alone” as Want to Read:
One Crow Alone

One Crow Alone

(After the Snow 0.5)

The prequel to the Branford Boase shortlisted After the Snow, now in paperback.
Published February 27th 2014 by Pan MacMillan (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about One Crow Alone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Crow Alone

Georgia (The Bibliomaniac Book Blog)
Review also @ http://booksandwritersjnr.wordpress.c... :)

“A winter’s day has become a winter’s nightmare…”
Teenage Magda Krol is living in her quiet, Polish village until strange men arrive. She hides in her cellar, and upon emerging realises that they were not thieves, but people evacuating the village because of the harsh weather! She ventures across the frozen wasteland to the next village, in the hope of getting on the next evacuation truck, when she encounters Ukrainian boy Ivan. Together th
Rebecca McNutt
Predictable apocalyptic novel, one of those dime-a-dozen ones that seem to pop up out of nowhere every day just because the dystopian genre is trendy. This one has no originality, no outstanding features, and the characters are really shallow and dull.
Perla The IB Teen Book Blogger
Really looking forward to how this series progresses. It was a real rollercoaster ride reading After the Snow.
Erin
Feb 13, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It took me 70 pages to realize this was supposed to be set in the present day. I think this may be the least realistic book I've ever read?

A summary of my issues with it, in no particular order.
- What the fuck happened to cell phones? I know they exist in this world, because that was the mention that made me realize that this wasn't set in an alternate version of the 1930s or 1960s or something. And no, particularly cold winters and snowstorms do not affect cell coverage. I've had wonderful cell
Zuzana Zet Ľudviková
Veľmi som sa na knižku tešila, sľubovala akčnú dystopiu z pohľadu šestnásťročného dievčaťa. Začala sľubne, ničnetušiacim dňom počas tuhej zimy, kedy bola Magda zrazu na všetko sama. Pokračovalo to zaujímavo, stretla chlapca. No počas celého diela som čakala na niečo, čo ma ozaj dostane, čo bohužiaľ neprišlo.
Všetky problémy (zápletky), čo autorka načala - svetová kríza, hľadanie matky, rozpadajúca sa krajina - všetko sa stalo iba putovaním za ničím. Akoby zrazu autorka nevedela, čo ďalej, vyrieši
Annette
May 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The style of the writing in this series is hard to read for me. I think a 16 year old would be a lot more life savvy than Magda was, no matter how rural a setting nor what time period she was in. With that said, I tell stories, and I recognize the difference in how a tale being told sounds from a written story that one reads. The story is good. The delivery is awkward.
Matt Thomas
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bought this because it had "crow" in the title and I haven't been disappointed. Not sure what the Crow is supposed to represent in the story but this prequel to "After the Snow" is a touching story about young Magda in the run up to what appears to be a next ice age or something. It makes me want to read "After the Snow".
Stephanie
I couldn't quite reconcile the fact that 'winter is long' with all of the anarchy and social breakdown, but the story was good. I liked the characters, especially as technology (like greenhouses) and such would be available to extend the growing season... I don't know. I guess I was overthinking. If you don't overthink, it's a good book.
Saylar
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book because of the many adventures and challenges Magda went through. I recommend this book for anyone who likes thrills. There were many surprises and twists to this story and it was hard to put the book down because I wanted to know what happened next.
Twodogs333
The writing style was a little askew, but I liked the story well enough to not mind.
Veronica Lawson
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now this is a love story that's up my alley. Full of adventure. One of my favorite (and only) love stories that I've read.
Samantha
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was sent this from the publisher in exchange for a honest review.

When I was sent this book I thought it looked really interesting. It wasn't something that I would normally read but I was looking forward to it.

'One Crow Alone' is about a girl called Magda a Polish girl who discovers that her village has been abandoned, with the country in a state of emergency because of the weather and no family left, she decides to make the journey to London to find her mother who is working there. Along th
Nenia
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, novels, young-adult
Okay, so this one's about Europe right before an ice age. It's winter and cold and snow, and people are not getting food and so on. And it's about a girl trying to find her mom, and find a place to call her home after her grandma dies and the rest of the village is hoarded off to "someplace better" for the winter. She goes from Poland to London with this guy she meets because her mother was last known to work in London.

The absolutely worst about this novel is the bad language. It's like reading
Wisteriouswoman
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I brought home 'After the Snow' and 'One Crow Alone' from the library and decided to read the prequel first. I am so glad I did.

They are totally different books and I disliked 'After the Snow' so much I couldn't read all of it.

'One Crow Alone' has its own distinct style that reminds me of poetry, folk lore, wise-woman knowledge, and an adventure book all rolled into one. Even though it is supposed to be in the future it could very well have been set in the past. They live out in the country whe
Barbara
Fans of After the Snow are sure to like this one, its prequel, which follows Willo's stepmother Magda Krol, as she journeys from Poland to London to Wales. After her grandmother's death, Magda misses the government evacuation of her village, and ends up leaving her home in order to find her mother. She and Ivan, a boy from the Ukraine, join forces, and set off across the countryside in search of food, shelter, and safety. The many encounters they have with untrustworthy individuals leave them un ...more
BAYA Librarian
A companion book to After the Snow, One Crow Alone follows the story of Magda, a Polish girl who lives with her grandmother. When her grandmother dies she is left behind in an evacuation caused by a national state of emergency declared after global weather patterns shift to cause very difficult winters. Magda makes her way to England in search of her mother but failing to find her she eventually makes it to a safe place where, presumably, she lives many years until the events of After the Snow. ...more
Sergio Torices
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In one crow alone by S.D Crockett,the storyline is somewhat complex.Basically the main protagnist named Magda who is left stranded in the village she lived in she meets someone else named Ivan she accompanies him to find her mother and find family.She has to overcome many obstacles that she encounters.I never read the first book(After the snow).But my theory of the theme is that.Although life may get difficult there is always a way out you must stay strong.As to prove this theory of the theme is ...more
Eden Grey
One Crow Alone is an incredible story about a girl who must overcome the impossible. Magda’s narration is so different from the typical YA post-apocalyptic story. She is facing certain death every day of her life, all by herself, but she is so strong. Magda is practical and focused. She does what she must to survive, to keep living, despite the threat of freezing to death, of never finding her mother, or losing her grandmother. I have so much respect for Magda, and her strength in the face of in ...more
Nicole
"If you have no answer, then make no decision. Sleep on it. When everything stops making sense, then sense is all that's left. It is better, Magda, that you suffer for doing what is right, than for doing what is wrong."

I came to like Magda more later on, but I really had a hard time suspending my belief that she was a 16 year old girl - her thoughts and behaviors were more like that of an 11 or 12 year old.
Temmy
Jul 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Olivia
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately, this book was boring from beginning to end for me. The characters felt bland, the plot was very depressing with almost no light moments in it at all, and it definitely reminded me of the first book. You should probably read this book if you read the first one and liked it but I wouldn't recommend picking up the first book or this one at all to begin with.
Mustabshirah Khan
I feel as if some people get dispirited by a good book which does not posses a fairy-tale ending (like me a little bit) and because of that we completely ignore the greatness of its content.

Just for the people who are doing that.

I really liked the whole concept of this book but i needed to get hooked which at times i didn't.
I recommend it to see your reactions

Jen
I have not read After the Snow, so I had no expectations for One Crow Alone. This is the story of Magda, a Polish girl who is working her way to London to find her mother after the snows come and her village is abandoned. Along her journey she meets a boy (of course) named Ivan who vows to help her get to London. A complex story about hope and loss.
Ampersand Inc.
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: debbie-s-reads
This is a prequel to the fantastic After the Snow. I liked this and was engaged with Magda’s story, but I liked After the Snow better. One Crow alone didn’t have the same experimental language of After the Snow and felt more like a traditional dystopian novel. That said, I really do like this author and will keep reading the series.
Etta Searle
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely one to read after reading 'After the Snow' but so good! Great to learn more about Magda, and I enjoyed how the main story was interspersed with the Crow story, and Mary giving the Tell. Made me do a weep!
Hannah Masood
started out good but it ended in a way where i just felt like what the hell did ive just read.

Gina
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. There's something about this book that I really loved. Other parts were very confusing and could have been developed a lot more. Overall, this was a quick and enjoyable read.
Paige Libbert
Not my favorite. For some Tunis would be a lovely read, I'm sure but I found it choppy and personally wasn't a fan of the ending. Cool concept though and an interesting topic.
Alison
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopian, fiction, ya
Perhaps I would've liked this dystopian prequel better if I'd read "After the Snow" first, which got good reviews from YA lit types.
Valerie
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good tale of society failing, and kind hearts and dark ones, too. Realistic and touching.
  • Are You Experienced?
  • Half Lives
  • What We Lost in the Dark (What We Saw at Night, #2)
  • On a Clear Day
  • The Never Weres
  • The Godless Boys
  • No Angel
  • Hideous Love: The Story of the Girl Who Wrote Frankenstein
  • The Hidden Deep (Threshold #2)
  • The Meme Plague (Memento Nora, #3)
  • The Girl Who Became a Beatle
  • Nine Days
  • The Survivors (Memory Boy, #2)
Sophie D. Crockett was born in 1969. She graduated from London University’s Royal Holloway and Bedford New College with a degree in Drama and Theatre Studies.

On leaving university she travelled to Russia as a timber buyer in the Caucasus Mountains but after the birth of her son in 1996 she returned to the East Coast of Suffolk where she spent five years restoring a derelict Ancient Scheduled Monum

After the Snow (1 books)
  • After the Snow (After the Snow, #1)