Start by marking “Magic Edge (Dragon Born Alexandria, #1)” as Want to Read:
Magic Edge (Dragon Born Alexandria, #1)

Magic Edge

(Dragon Born Alexandria #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  2,491 ratings  ·  111 reviews
An alternate cover for this ASIN can be found here.

Mercenary mage Alex Dering has spent most of her life killing deadly monsters for only peanuts in return—until the world’s most legendary immortal hires her for a prestigious assignment in Europe. In return for hunting down misbehaving supernaturals, he’s going to pay her a boatload of cash.

But a straightforward slash and
Published November 8th 2015

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Magic Edge (Dragon Born Alexandria, #1)
Cece ❀Rants, Raves &Reviews❀
Literally crying because this series is over and just ugh so good
Meet Alex: Badass mercenary and adrenaline junkie by fighting monsters for the very government that considers HER power a monster...oh the irony

“Alex thought it seemed awfully nonchalant of her to grab a snack while the city was in peril, but a girl had to eat.”
description

This book is a hidden gem that I was surprised more people hadn’t heard of it thought it did have some cliches I mean for crying out loud the assassin is named Slayer B
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
Magic Edge is book one in the Dragon Born Alexandria series by Ella Summers. Now I am trying to read the series in order with all the other Dragon Born world books.

This book reminded me of the Hidden Legacy series; because of all the magic and we had this one scene that was similar to the chained up scene in Burn for Me by Ilona Andrews. Is this series as good as Andrews, no, but it was still entertaining.

We get assassins, hate groups, magic orb’s with apocalyptic tendencies, and lots of action
Sandra
Dec 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Abandoned at 30%. This feels like it was written by someone with no life experience who cut and chopped from other books in this genre and tried to fill in the gaps with cliche and cheesy imaginings of what someone badass would say and do.

Some of the 90s jargon used that's just cringeworthy today: stoked, bozos, phooey, hotshot. Nicknames like doll, princess, and sweetheart, oh and the male assassin's nickname is Slayer. Slayer. This just screams floor-length leather coat, doc martins, acne ridd
Amy
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book rates on the low end of the 2.5 star scale for me. We follow Alex, a heroine who is full of herself, who chases any supernatural baddie. The entire story you get a reminder that not only is she a bad ass, she is a dragon born and has to hide her magic. So what does she do at the first sign of trouble while she's by herself? Use her magic with witnesses. Rinse and repeat. I'm going to be honest, I wanted to stop reading at 30%. I wasn't loving anything about the book. The only interesti ...more
JadeShea
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
This story begins when Alex must help find some magical orbs before the enemies of the supernaturals use it to destroy magic in the world. She must figure out what’s really going on and who’s in charge before it is too late. And with the help of an assassin things may turn out in her favor if she doesn’t get herself killed that is.

This book was a good start to this series. It was very intriguing and had a lot of action, and some romance as well.
I enjoyed the heroine a lot, and I thought she w
Dallass
Feb 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Fast paced with a lot of action

I had to backtrack as I started reading Sera’s books first. However, I am enjoying seeing how Alex’s story interweaves with what happened in San Francisco with Sera and Kai.

3 stars ⭐️
Mandy
Alex is a mercenary who works to keep the supernatural being in line and protecting the humans. Currently she’s in Zurich working for a mage protecting the city when what should be routine turns into her getting bit by a vampire hybrid that causes those around her to question what she really is because a human would have turned. Alex has a deep dark secret she has magic but she’s spent her whole life keeping it buried deep inside. Alex comes from a long line of dragon born which have been hunted ...more
Lori
Jun 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
Yeck. I read Serafina first and really liked her books1&2 and then switched over to read about her twin. Unlike Sera who's character acts legitimately terrified of being discovered and does everything to avoid using magic or be discovered, Alex is a flashy magic using dipshit. Arrogant and unlikeable she is. I stuck it out only because-well actually I don't know why. Hm. Slayer is lame as hell and there was zero, ZERO tension/chemistry between them. I was really flummoxed by this after Sera and ...more
Cindy
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lots of similarities

I read a couple of books about Alex's sister before I read this and I like Alex just as much as her sister. They really do feel like twins. They both are falling for rich men too, but with some interesting differences, one of which is that Logan is an assassin called Slayer. I like that I am seeing both stories and getting a better picture in my head of what is happening.
Leanne Crabtree
I enjoyed this.

I managed to keep up with the plot even though the vampire elves threw me off a little at the beginning. The romantic thing she had going on with a certain asassin was also kinda entertaining. I'm interesting in following both of these and I'm off to borrow book 2.
Nikki C.
Apr 10, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this! It was a action packed easy read with lots of magic and dragon references, which is exactly what I needed right now. I will continue the series. UPDATE: wow I read the other reviews and you all are such haters! This book is just supposed to be fun fluff with a magic edge (haha) and I think some people expect too much. Sure, gave it 3 stars......because ONLY my absolute favorites Yasmine Galenorn, Jaye Wells and PC Cast get 5 stars....: I still enjoyed this book and got what I wan ...more
Angela Grindle
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Yummy!

Ella Summers knows how to get your pulse up and your imagination going. I get so lost in the fantasy that I can see the story. Summers weaves a tale that is both beautiful and mesmerizing. When the day gets overwhelming, I pick up her book and get lost in the tale that is spellbinding. I enjoyed Alex as much as Sera and I can't wait for the next book!
Kristy
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal-uf, series
I love this intertwined series; however the constant (multiple times per page, if not paragraph) mention of assassins and smart-mouthed mercenaries just did my head in! We get it already! Alex is a bad ass mercenary and Logan is an assassin - it doesn't need to be discussed during every conversation! Ugh. Could've been so much better with some tighter editing.
John Piper
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
This book is great! I love how Alex is similar, yet so much different than her sister Sera! I have enjoyed reading these series! I'm on Alex's book 2 right now, and I can't wait to read more! Keep up the great work Ella!!
Taylor
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
OK, so i bought Magic Edge literally straight after i finished Mercenary Magic, because i needed to read more about this world that Ella Summers is writing.
For those who don't know, Magic Edge is the first book in the Dragon Born Alexandria series, however it fits into a larger story, where this book is infact book 2.

Magic Edge follows Alexandria, the twin sister of Sera. Both these sisters are dragon born, a breed of Mage that is killed upon birth. That being said, Sera and Alexandria survived
Melissa B.
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars-- This book was pretty good. I think I might've enjoyed it more if I hadn't already read the Sera series first... I just love the characters from that Dragon Born series, and although I liked these characters, I didn't love them like Sera, Kai, Riley, Naomi, and the commandos. I'm still going to continue on with the books though. Maybe Alex will grow on me a bit more, and to be fair, this was just the first book for these characters. I do really like this author and her writing style. ...more
Lena
Apr 27, 2018 rated it liked it
At first I thought Alex was REALLY similar to her twin, Sera, and wasn't that into the book. But then, things started happening and I realised, that yeah, they're both brave and powerful, but are different in some ways. Alex is definitely more 'reckless' as the author likes to remind us, and she usually acts before she thinks, unlike Sera, who is a little more sensible. Alex is just as sarcastic and snarky as Sera, but also a little more quirky, and all of her conversations with 'Slayer' are jus ...more
Felicite Lilly
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love these series.

I love that the dragon born sister series can be read seperatley, together...They intertwine and are beautifully written. My favorite part of the series is Alex and her willful attitude. Her sister Sera and her have similar personalities, but different enough to see the differences. I may have just not seen it as much in this one because Logan is more low key, but I didn't get a very clear idea of what he looks like. My view may also be tinted because Sera's Dragon, Kai, is des
Dawn Gee
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good start to series

I read Serafina's book 1 first as suggested but it isn't required you can follow along fine. Reading this intertwined sisters series in reading order provides more depth to everything happening in the magic world. Alex isn't with her sister and brother which makes me nervous for her. Alex takes a lot of chances with her life. Logan learns a truth that shatters his world and how he feels about himself. There are so many people in Alex's life that I am worried that she'll
Deb Barringer
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Magic Edge is a great introduction into Alex's life. Like her sister, Sera, Alex hides her magic, pretending to be a human mercenary to avoid the death sentence associated with being Dragon Born. But can Alex set aside her pride long enough to work with the assassin, Logan? The characters are well developed and endearing. The storyline is fast-paced and unique, filled with danger, intrigue and potential romance. The world-building is wonderful. I can't wait to see what the rest of the series bri ...more
Heather Gilbert
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5

This novel is set inside the entire Dragon Born collection and needs to be read as such. Though it’s the first one in Alex’s journey, if you haven’t read Seraphin’s first installment, you should stop and read that first. There is so much info there that is required fir true understanding here, since this author actually respects her readers and doesn’t rehash unnecessarily. That said, this is only a 3.5 from me as it is not as strong as some of her other works, and far too short.
Karyogini
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-on-2017
This is the first book on Alex but it's the second book in the Dragon Born series. I actually read this right after the first book her sister and I've grown attached to Sera's story and characters. So I had a hard time detaching myself from them and get to know Alex and her European world.

In this book, we learn more about the Dragon Born and what that really means. Exciting! Picking up the second book of Sera right after this.
Elizabeth
May 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Yawn, Yawn

Sorry, but sleeping pills are have less predictability than this book. The storyline is okay, the characters are okay, work is okay, basically this book is, okay. And here I must reiterate yawn. To be fair , if this is your first book by this author, then you probably enjoy the read. Storylines just different enough that it would be interesting, however, after reading sisters story this one is just rinse, repeat, change name.
Mya
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
So I rated this book a 3.5 out of 5 because I started her sisters book first and she was way more spunkier then Alex. I literally almost fell asleep. But thankfully towards the end it got interesting enough to finally after 2 weeks finish this book! Honestly ugh. I should rate it a 3 because The only thing was good was it pieced some things together from what happened with her sister Sera.
Michelle
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Great premise, poor execution

Let me start of by saying i made it to the end of the book so it got more than one star. I wanted to find out what happened next. It just really hurt to go through the stilted writing, the telling vs. Showing. The lack of flow period. This could be a 4-5 star book with some good editing.
Michael Wood
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good Second Series Beginning

If the books are read in the order suggested, this is book two of the Dragon Born series and book one of the Alexandria series. Alexandria is, of course, the twin sister of the heroine of the first book, Serafina. Being twins, the two sisters are quite similar: tough, hardheaded and duty-bound.
becca
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

I'm really liking this series I was a bit confused as to the series being mashed together but its not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I loved Alex and her assassin ☺ they had a great back and forth. The storyline was fantastic with lots of twists and turns. Now to go back to sera and the games 😬.
Alastar
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating

Alex is not as dense as her sister Sera, who is quite heavy into denying reality, and stubborn to an annoying level. Alex seems to be the smarter of the two siblings. I however am so far enjoying both. So off to reading Sera's book 2.
Clarke
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I really like some of her other books but this series misses the mark. I read some of the other books that follow Alex's sister and didn't like them any better. I keep reading hoping they'll grow on me.

The lack of character depth keeps me from loving the books.
Michelle
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've already three of the Sera series so I decided to go back and read Alex. I actually like the series. I can't decide if I like Logan or Kai better though.

The entire series has been quick reading for me. I want to know more so yes, I'll continue.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: New Bookcover 2 12 Jun 26, 2017 11:20AM

• Queen of Light (Dragon's Gift: The Forbidden Fae #3)
  • Fate of Fire (Dragon's Gift: The Forbidden Fae #2)
  • Crown of Fire (Dragon's Gift: The Forbidden Fae #1)
  • Rise of the Fae (Dragon's Gift: The Dark Fae #5)
  • Dragon Rising (Dragon's Gift: The Sorceress #4)
  • Shadow Master (The Nightwatch Academy #4)
  • Demon Curse (Dragon's Gift: The Sorceress #3)
  • Spirit of the Fae (Dragon's Gift: The Dark Fae #4)
  • Dragon Blood (Dragon's Gift: The Sorceress #2)
  • Secrets and Alchemy (Dragon's Gift: The Potion Master #1)
  • Mirror Mage (Dragon's Gift: The Huntress, #2)
  • Captured by Magic (Dragon's Gift: The Druid #4)
  • Queen of the Fae (Dragon's Gift: The Dark Fae #3)
  • Celtic Magic (Dragon's Gift: The Druid #3)
  • Institute of Magic (Dragon's Gift: The Druid, #1)
  • Crime of Magic (Dragon's Gift: The Druid #2)
  • Ancient Magic (Dragon's Gift: The Huntress, #1)
  • Heart of the Thief (The Wardbreaker #1)
Ella Summers has been writing stories for as long as she could read; she's been coming up with tall tales even longer than that. One of her early year masterpieces was a story about a pigtailed princess and her dragon sidekick. Nowadays, she still writes fantasy. She likes books with layered plots, lots of action and adventure, and a touch of romance. When she is not busy writing or spending time ...more

Dragon Born Alexandria (4 books)
  • Blood Magic (Dragon Born Alexandria, #2)
  • Magic Kingdom (Dragon Born Alexandria, #3)
  • Shadow Magic (Dragon Born Alexandria, #4)