Start by marking “The Angel Tree” as Want to Read:
The Angel Tree

The Angel Tree

Thirty years have passed since Greta left Marchmont Hall, a grand and beautiful house nestled in the hills of rural Monmouthshire. But when she returns to the Hall for Christmas, at the invitation of her old friend David Marchmont, she has no recollection of her past association with it - the result of a tragic accident that has blanked out more than two decades of her lif ...more
Published November 19th 2015 by Pan (first published July 1st 1996)

İntellecta
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Das war das, was das Leben für mich auf Lager hatte.
Seite 437
beloved books by Tine
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
wieder mal ein klasse Buch von Lucinda Riley
Anna
Multi-generational dual-timeline family saga which started out full of promise, but after nearly 700 pages left me thinking 'what was the point of all that?'

Lucinda Riley can be hit and miss with me; I've read seven, and have rated them anywhere from DNF to 5 stars. I'll always read her books as you never know when the next 5 star-er will turn up; disappointing this time though.
Tracy
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I generally enjoy Lucinda Riley's books and this one was no exception! It is a re-write of an earlier book she had written under the name of Lucinda Edmonds. In her author's note she explains she intended to just freshen it up a bit but ended up changing the story drastically, adding whole chapters, changing the fate of a character, etc. She did a great job at creating what I would call "a computing psychotic". Luckily, the story has a decent resolution for most characters. There are a couple of ...more
OldSoul23
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

En solo una palabra ;Extraordinario!!!
description
Es la segunda ocasión en la que Lucinda Ryle me transporta a un viaje a través del tiempo , apartir de los recuerdo de una mujer, que comienza desde finales de la segunda guerra mundial ,y la cual se ve marcada por diversos accionamientos que determinaran no solo su futuro , sino el futuro de dos generaciones más.
description
Greta ,la protagonista principal,arriba a Marchmont Hall en 1985, y es ahí donde tendrá que reconstruir su pasado, con piezas del presente,pero se
Nixi92
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Non so quali sensazioni mi abbia fatto provare questo libro… Penso mi piaccia il modo in cui l'autrice descrive i luoghi e i costumi del passato; oltre al modo in cui sviluppa la storia di ogni singolo personaggio (3 generazioni). Purtroppo presenta anche numerosi punti deboli, tra cui alcune svolte narrative un po' troppo sopra le righe, dialoghi inconsistenti, personaggi odiosi (soprattutto la protagonista e gli "uomini" della storia: l'unico che si salva non è purtroppo approfondito da un pun ...more
Jeane
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, england, usa
When I was thinking about reading this book while I wasn't during the day, I didn't really feel excitement just thinking about going back to the story.
But every time I was reading it, I completely enjoyed it and was really into the story.

So much happenes in this book and there are so many characters in some way all related to each other.
Just too many to explain what happens. But while it feels very predictable, it never does.
The story is set in the eighties in England but with the story going ba
Izabella (Pages Full of Stars)
2 stars

This was my second book by Lucidna Riley, but unfortunately my feelings during reading were similar to when I read The Orchid House. I love books set in two or more timelines and family mysteries, but this story just didn't work for me.
The beginning was good and engaging, but soon I began to feel very underwhelmed. The story was predictable to me, and I found it hard to connect to the characters, but instead found them annoying. Having read other books with similar formula, I feel like th
APOTEOZA
Czytadło. Bardzo dobrze spędza się przy tej książce czas. Jest prosto napisana i płynna, chociaż momentami czas płynął za szybko, a ja nie jestem fanką takiego aż tempa. Poza tym musiałam dojść do połowy, żeby się wciągnąć. Mimo to oceniam tę książkę bardzo wysoko, bo dobrze się bawiłam. Niestety nie jest to absolutnie poziom Katy Morton, a z jakiegoś powodu myślałam, że będzie to coś podobnego. Może przez wzgląd na retrospekcje czasowe i odkrywanie tajemnic przeszłości, co jest specjalnością Mo ...more
Jo Barton
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting book to review because some readers may have already read this when it was first published in 1995 under the authors' previous pen name of Lucinda Edmonds. Since it would appear that the time is right for a reissue, the story has been redone, keeping some elements of the original but with some sections reworked, thus breathing new life into a story which is as fresh and characterful now, as it was in its original format.

The story begins as Greta returns to Marchmont Hall,
Debby
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have loved reading books since I was a little girl. In my early twenties, I read "A Woman of Substance" by Barbara Taylor Bradford, and that's what set off my addiction to stories about women who are strong, English mansions, wealth, success and overcoming tragedy. Most likely, that is why Lucinda Riley's books seem to feed my addiction.
In audible format, the narration was well done-- though I had to increase the play speed to 1.25, as the narrator spoke a wee bit too slow for my own taste.
As
Carrie
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a compelling storyline! I couldn't put it down at times. Even though we, as the reader, knew a few things ahead of time, there were a bunch of twists that surprised me.
Montse Martín Domínguez
4,5 ⭐ ...more
Nigel
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Odd really - I can't honestly say that I remember why I bought this one (though the cover is nice!). It is not really my sort of book I guess. Family saga coupled with lost memories due to an accident, with time shifting to and fro. The characters were pretty good however I'd worked out a number of the plot lines before they were revealed. The real plus is that it kept me reading. It's a well written story and good enough for a holiday read. 3.5/5 I think.
Mikka Gottstein
Zwei Dinge vorneweg:

Erstens, ich habe die ersten Kapitel des Buches auf deutsch gelesen, bin danach aber auf das ungekürzte englische Hörbuch umgestiegen. Dennoch denke ich, dass ich anhand der auf deutsch gelesen Kapitel sagen kann, dass die Übersetzung sehr gut gelungen ist und sich sehr ansprechend liest.

Zweitens, ich war der Meinung, bei "Der Engelsbaum" handle es sich um ein aktuelles Buch der Autorin, und ich war überrascht, als ich feststellte, dass das Buch eigentlich schon vor 20 Jahre
Elisabeth
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Greta has not been back to Marchmont House in many years and although David is taking her back to a place that she once knew very well she has no memory of the events that led her to living at the hall nor of the events that happened over the next 20 years.

The accidental discovery of a small grave by The Angel Tree in the grounds of Machmont House begins a momentous journey of re-discovery for Greta she is helped by her good friend David to piece together the fragments of her life and her tumul
Leserling /Belana
I've read a few books by Lucinda, but so far, this is my favourite. A great and tragic family saga with characters who develop over the years. You don't necessarily like them, but you certainly understand, and maybe even pity them. In addition to the kindle version, I had the audio book, which was absolutely perfect! Great narrator for a great narration. Highly recommended.
Fina Andres garcia
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leido
Una historia muy completa!
Me ha gustado mucho, una historia muy completa, tres generaciones de mujeres, misterios y secretos del pasado, empieza en los años 40 al final de la guerra y en unos años difíciles, personajes complejos, con mucho orgullo, miedos y tiempo perdido.
Ha sido una lectura amena, entretenida y que he disfrutado mucho, por lo que no tenia prisa en terminar, pasan por tantas cosas que es dificil comentar todo, creo que la trama esta muy bien enlazada, la actualidad con los recue
Mary
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I have a love / hate relationship with this author. While I find her stories so interesting and compelling, I find myself getting irritated with her writing style and overwrought characters. The Angel Tree tells the story of Greta, her daughter Cheska, and granddaughter Ava. There's also David, and his mother L.J. David helps a pregnant, unwed (gasp!) Greta by loaning her his cottage on his family estate of Marchmont Hall. The 2 families become curiously entwined, secrets are kept, lies told , a ...more
Elisabeth Bibbings
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I was disappointed with this one - it's an early one of Riley's, reworked.
The story is about an estate on the Welsh border, owned by the Marchmont family. It jumps between the post-war period and 1980's, following David the successful comedian and Greta the former Windmill Girl who finds herself pregnant and alone. Through Greta's daughter, child star Cheska Hammond who is forced into celebrity by her managing mother (managing in more ways than one), the story develops into a warning against ea
waralectora
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucinda Riley es sin duda una de mis autoras favoritas, tiene una manera de contar las historias q me encanta, aunque debo admitir q este libro especificamente no es de mis favoritos. Greta y Cheska se me hicieron un poco insoportables, dos mujeres egoistas q tuvieron mucho amor a su alrededor y q no supieron corresponder. La historia es buena y atrapa, pero sus personajes se me hicieron muy fríos. Igual no me arrepiento de haberlo leido y espero seguir disfrutando de la pluma de Lucinda por muc ...more
Jill
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
This was nothing special. No great surprises or spectacular setting etc but just a nice pleasant read of a multigenerational story set in England beginning during the war. A nice relaxing winter read.
Tina Pugh
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I never knew that some authors decide to re-write the ending of their books. This is one of them. First published in 1995 as Not Quite an Angel, it was republished in 2015 as The Angel Tree with a completely different ending. I haven't read the first edition of this story, and to be honest, I don't want to. This is a story that unfolds over many years but with the focus of the story beginning and ending in 1985, with Greta who had suffered severe memory loss from an accident. We find out how thi ...more
Malara4
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me ha gustado muchísimo. He devorado y disfrutado de principio a fin la historia. Una historia elegante, emotiva y con muchísimo ritmo.
Cinthia
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and it many stories.
Linnéa
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first book by Riley, but I can see why she's so popular. That woman knows how to write!

This book is so vast, lovely and horrible, I don't know what to think of it exactly. The brits are a bit too polite for their own good in this book.. the drama is overwhelming but thrilling.
Clarisse LF
It was a really nice story ! Just not the kind of books I usually enjoy reading but I liked it still ^^
Bogstoetten Elfie Else Flamsted
Fantastisk god bog. Drama, kærlighed, slægt, arv, psykisk sygdom, berømthed, familie
Rebekka Haugen
Unrealistic, cliche, messy and sort of meaningless.. But still very entertaining
Une fille et des livres
Ce roman, qui était ma dernière lecture de janvier, a merveilleusement clôturé mon Cold Winter Challenge.
Une incroyable saga familiale avec ses secrets, ses drames et trois générations de femmes.
Je suis déjà nostalgique de Marchmont et de cette famille à laquelle je me suis beaucoup attachée.
Cette jolie brique de plus de 500 pages m’a offert un très beau moment de lecture et la plume de Lucinda Riley y est pour beaucoup, j’ai été complètement conquise.
C’est un merveilleux roman très captivant e
  • The Little Theatre by the Sea
  • The Misbegotten
  • The Other Sister
  • The Last Pearl
  • The River
  • A Killing Moon (Damen Brook, #5)
  • Season of Light
  • The Butterfly Box
  • Just Like Lizzie (Lizzie McGuire, #9)
  • Das Traumbuch
  • Trümmerkind
  • A Girl's Guide to Guys (So Little Time, #10)
AKA: Lucinda Edmonds
Lucinda Riley was born in Ireland, and after an early career as an actress in film, theatre and television, wrote her first book aged twenty-four. Her books have been translated into over thirty five languages and sold fifteen million copies worldwide. She is a Sunday Times and New York Times bestseller.

Lucinda is currently writing The Seven Sisters series, which tells the stor
“Evening News she had bought earlier and” 0 likes
“It's a bit like running a marathon, isn't it? It's only when you reach the finish line that you have time to collapse.” 0 likes