Start by marking “Burn (South Beach Bodyguards, #1)” as Want to Read:
Burn (South Beach Bodyguards, #1)

Burn

(South Beach Bodyguards #1)

When bodyguard Ryan Harris finds an intruder in his apartment, he’s shocked to realize it’s his former stepsister, Isabel Rodriguez. Naked. In his shower. Estranged from his father, he’s only met Isabel a few times, but he’s seen enough to be distracted and unnerved by how gorgeous she is wet and two feet away from him. And did he mention naked? But Isabel insists her name ...more
ebook
Published January 5th 2016 by Erin McCarthy

To ask other readers questions about Burn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burn

Gisbelle
I have read so many of Erin McCarthy books and this one is literally the worst. I couldn't stand the characters, especially Isabel. Even the sluttiest girl ever wouldn't just strip naked every 5 minutes just to make a guy to get nasty with her. Seriously, has she ever heard of self-respect? I so want to kick her in the hooha.

The whole stepbrother thing was a huge turnoff. I know some people like this forbidden love feeling, but wouldn't go all the way to incest because it is just too much, so s
Andrea
Ok, it's official: I'm too old for this New Adult stuff. The next time I consider reading one of these, someone please stop me. Even if I go "but this is one of my favorite authors, I used to love her books! Plus, it's free!". I am clearly not the target audience for this and should really learn to avoid these books. If you like your romance angst-ridden, overladen with reflection upon reflection of feelings, glances, and everything else, this is your book. If -like me- however, you are easily a ...more
CeCe
HNRY - Not for me.

Heroine takes off clothes within 5 minutes. I hate when the heroine chases the hero. I just did not get the connection.

May work for you, but it did not work for me.

I expected better from Erin McCarthy.
Ambrosia
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not a fan of books where the h chases the H for the entire book. There isn't enough balance. This H was a real jerk - some of the things he did (or didn't do) were really cold - and yet, there's no groveling or massive display of jealousy. Just the h having to put herself on the line again.
Rachele
Well that was a waste of time and I even skimmed it.
Darcy
Sep 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
I normally really like this author, but this one didn't work for me. I didn't like Ryan, thought he was an ass. I wasn't sure what to think of Isabel, but thought it odd that she thought she was Julia. How is it that the hospital let her go home when she was in this condition??? It annoyed me how Isabel/Julia was a sexpot, when before she was shy and reserved. It made me wonder if she was playing, taking advantage of the situation to do what she wanted with Ryan. Sadly I didn't care enough to ke ...more
Sharon Mariampillai
This was a good read. The main characters were okay. I thought Ryan was a real jerk sometimes. Also, Isabel kept chasing the hero the whole entire book. It was not that interesting. Also, I thought that the mystery plot was not that important. Hence, it did not keep me that interested. The book dragged a bit and got boring at some parts. The ending was good. Overall, an okay read.
Audrey
Ugh. It feels like the author went out of her way to incorporate characters and situations people like, but they are undeveloped & ultimately unsatisfying.
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5
buzy_reading
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Burn was about a bodyguard who worked for his dads security company and was assigned to watch after his stepsister Isabel. It's been eighteen months since they last seen each other, but Ryan remembers how beautiful she was. Ryan remembered Isabel as a young and shy timid young girl.

This was an extremely sexual story with every conversation about sex. The dialogue and characters were one-dimensional. Sex was the only connecting factor for these two being together.

Ryan's character was an uneduca
Lyka
Jan 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, not-my-thing
From one unfinished book to another. -_-

I don't know whether to laugh or to be annoyed. That is some kind of First Chapter.

The heroine is ridiculous!!! Having amnesia is not EVEN an excuse. SMH
Kathy Davie
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: i-own-this, romance
First in the South Beach Bodyguards romance series and revolving around the bodyguards of Miami Security. The couple focus is on Isabel Rodriguez and Ryan Harris.

My Take
It's the trope of both characters attracted to each other, but neither knowing it. Each, of course, has their own reasons for believing it cannot be…he doesn't deserve her…she's not good enoughYadda, yadda, yadda. with a lot of whining on both sides.

Burn is using first-person dual point-of-view, which was fine. It didn't make i
Jennifer (Bad Bird Reads)
At A Glance
Just barely tolerable.
The Good
I gotta admit, Isabel randomly ending up naked at Ryan's, her stepbrother (they barely even know each other so it's not icky or anything), apartment was interesting at first. I mean, it's fun, flirty, and scandalous! Isabel was a lot more fun as Julia, her drunk/amnesia persona. No inhibition and hilariously forward. Reading about Ryan's struggle not to pound her on every surface was a riot.

The author had me reading until the end to see how Isabel end
evilqueen21
Jan 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Burn the first in the new South Beach Bodyguard series by Erin McCarthy opens up with quite the hook- Ryan comes home from work and to an intruder in his home- his step-sister, Isabel fully NEKKID taking a shower! To reassure those weary on the typical step-sibling trope. This is NOT the case with Burn. Ryan & Isabel did not grow up together, they have only met briefly prior to the happenings in the book and both of their parents (who are on the somewhat shady side) were married & separa ...more
monamour
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: erin-mccarthy
Wow! What a way to start a new series. Erin McCarthy never disappoints!! Filled with romance, intrigue, and loads of sexy hawt alpha, how could you go wrong?? Burn is the first book in the new SOUTH BEACH BODYGUARDS series and I can't wait to see what happens next!! The book can be read as a stand-alone, but where's the fun in that?? Just think of all those yummy bodyguards to come . . .

Although other's have already mention the step-sibling issue, I'd like to reiterate: Ryan and Isabel's parent
Nikki
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great start to a new series!! Ryan works for his dad in the security business and if it wasn't for that, Ryan wouldn't even talk to his dad. Ryan comes home from work one day to find his stepsister, Isabel, using his shower, calling herself Julia. Isabel was found unconscious with a head injury and taken to Ryan for protection until Ryan's dad could figure out if she is in danger from some of his less than legal business dealings or not. Isabel has always been quiet and reserved, she has also ...more
Virginia
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dumb

The whole premise of this book is dumb, the dialog is dumb. I gave it 2 stars only for the effort the author put into the book. I read a lot, this book is for high schoolers not serious readers. I read until 43% hoping it would get better...it didn't.
Nalla Reads
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
*Note: this review was given in exchange for an ARC of "Burn" by Erin McCarthy*

The South Beach bodyguards are here...and Florida has never been hotter! With a perfect blend of innocent Isabel and stoic, sexy Ryan, "Burn" brings a whole new trio to the Erin McCarthy world. Isabel's mysterious attack mixed with her lingering attraction to Ryan read for one adorably steamy read. Can't wait to read Wester's and Alejandro's stories!
Connie
Very disappointing! Isabel is a 21 year old virgin who falls in love with her bodyguard/former step-brother. She also doesn't seem to have a problem taking off her clothes in front of whatever man happens to be in the room or delivering pizza, or whatever. Ryan can't seem to figure out exactly what is going on with her, but he knows love is not in his future. Should he walk away or do the job he was hired to do?
Kim
Dec 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
I received this book free from Amazon and I am voluntarily writing a review. Not much of a plot to cement this book together about step siblings that are attracted to each other, He works for his fathers security company as a body guard and she is a veterinary student that was attacked and obtained a head injury.
Alexis
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! Erin had me hooked from page one! The characters were amazing and the story line just sucks you in! This is a must read!!
Melissa Amador
Guilty Pleasure

I was in the mood for some sappy romance with a hint of sexual tension and this was exactly that! It was a great easy read.
Jeanie Robinson
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Wasn't my cup of tea, unfortunately I felt no connection towards the characters and found Isabel to be a little annoying!
Danielle
Dec 16, 2015 marked it as to-read-2016
Hmmm... Not really into the stepbrother thing but I might have to give this one a go...
Jackie
Ryan Harris at 24 has never been or wanted to be in a committed relationship.

Isabel Rodriguez at 21 is still waiting for her former stepbrother to notice she has grown up as he is the object of sexual fantasies that have been running riot in her brain.

This is a novella length book so for me it was rather choppy here and there but as Ryan slowly realizes how much he has grown to care for Isabel and she admits to herself that Lust has turned into Love some of the rough edges in the story no longer
Beth
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My 1st read of this author, and no it will not be the last ... I love Erin's writing style and there were so many moments I spent laughing and wondering why Ryan took so long to get the ball rolling. Isabel either ... but I made the story and good long run. Must read, quick one for me, I love humor ... so many humorous moments. If you have read any books by Erin ... what would you recommend ... please let me know. thx! ( ;
Kim
In all honesty this story felt like it went on forever and it wasn't very long. I also didn't really connect with these characters at all. Ryan has issues stemming from his mother's abandonment and won't get close to anyone. Yet he suddenly loves Isabel after sleeping with her once? And Isabel claims to love him before they even sleep together, though she admits they've spent practically no time together.

This story felt like a case of the magic vagina/ magic penis.
Latte
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really think a 2 is generous. I've read other series by this author. This didn't cut it.

Have you ever heard the right words come out of someone's mouth but you just don't buy it? That's about 2/3 of the beginning of this book. To be honest, I had to put it down. Read 2 other books then decided to try and get thru the rest of this. The characters felt weak and angsty. And there's no real storyline pulling you in.

So... I read it for you so you don't have to.
You're welcome.
Amber Daniels
I liked the book but it was to get into it. It's nothing really wrong with the book and the author did a good job. characters were good and well written. I just think I'm not much of a bodyguard type person. I have read many books by this author and I highly recommend them all. This particular book just wasn't my cup of tea so to speak.
  • Over the Line (On the Run, #2)
  • Midnight Desire: A Midnight Riders Motorcycle Club Romance Part 1
  • Emerald (Steele Investigations, #2)
  • Bedded by Her Bodyguard (Billionaire Bodyguard, #2.5)
  • The Promise of Love (Includes: Fast Track, #4.5; Shadow Stalkers, #1)
  • Security
  • Power Players: Four Complete Series
  • Baring It All
  • Chasing Temptation (Chasing Love, #2)
  • Rain on Me (Shelter From the Storm, #1)
  • A Family Affair
  • Kansas City Christmas (The Precinct: Brotherhood of the Badge #4; The Precinct #10)
  • The Dirty Secret
  • Captured in Croatia
  • Waiting in Vain
  • A Reason for Marriage
  • Wade (Louisiana Gentlemen #5)
  • Chase (Secret Confessions: Backstage #1)
USA Today and New York Times Bestselling author Erin McCarthy sold her first book in 2002 and has since written over seventy novels and novellas in teen fiction, new adult, and adult romance. Erin has a special weakness for tattoos, high-heeled boots, beaches and martinis. She lives in Ohio with her family, two grumpy cats and a socially awkward dog.

South Beach Bodyguards (3 books)
  • Break (South Beach Bodyguards, #2)
  • Heat (South Beach Bodyguards, #3)
“That was a lot of skin for a Tuesday.” 1 likes
“I knew that by this time tomorrow, I was going to be eternally grateful for falling down the stairs and knocking myself unconscious. Smartest dumbest thing I'd ever done.” 1 likes