Start by marking “The Peculiar Incident on Shady Street” as Want to Read:
The Peculiar Incident on Shady Street

The Peculiar Incident on Shady Street

A girl unravels a centuries-old mystery after moving into a haunted house in this deliciously suspenseful mystery.

Tessa Woodward isn’t exactly thrilled to move to rainy, cold Chicago from her home in sunny Florida. But homesickness turns to icy fear when unexplainable things start happening in her new house. Things like flickering lights, mysterious drawings appearing out
Published October 10th 2017 by Aladdin

To ask other readers questions about The Peculiar Incident on Shady Street, please sign up.
DAdams It's super exciting that you want to read this awesome book :) However I would highly suggest you kindly ask your local library if there is a way for…moreIt's super exciting that you want to read this awesome book :) However I would highly suggest you kindly ask your local library if there is a way for patrons to suggest a book purchase. Librarians *love* to hear what their patrons want, and in my experience will purchase books based on patron requests. There's very likely a way for you to put in this request!

If this doesn't work, depending on where you live you may be able to get a library card to a public library that is not in your own town. If you find a near-ish by library system that has a great ebook selection you may be able to get a card with them for and just use their ebooks.

If none of these are options, you should *definitely* take advantage of ILL (Interlibrary Loan). This system lets you borrow books from outside libraries and sends them to YOUR public library. It's totally free. Just ask your librarian.

Lastly - if you've never used a service like Scribd or Audible, you could sign up for a month long free trial and select this as your trial book.

There are loads of ways to read books! It's awesome you're excited to read this (it's truly a great book) but I would encourage you to seek out some creative solutions that don't involve pirated copies. It can really cause a lot of harm in ways we may not realize.

Signed,
A Public Librarian(less)
Georgie Purchased it for the school, read it myself (and loved it), and put it into circulation. It took 5 months, but I've got it in the kids hands! Love…morePurchased it for the school, read it myself (and loved it), and put it into circulation. It took 5 months, but I've got it in the kids hands! Love that it is set in Chicago (we're in Elgin)(less)

Start your review of The Peculiar Incident on Shady Street
Lindsay Currie
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-wrote-this
I am so, so grateful to be able to share this book - the book of my heart - with you! THE PECULIAR INCIDENT ON SHADY STREET is Chicago history, strong girls, clever boys, first crushes & ghost legends. I couldn't be happier and I hope you all love it!

UPDATE: The PECULIAR INCIDENT pre-order incentive is live!!! I have some epic swag to give away, so don't miss out. There's a gift for everyone, plus three amazing grand-prizes :) Details here: https://www.lindsaycurrie.com/pre-ord...
Mehsi
"It's a face. A small... very young.. very little-girlish face is reflected in the mirror. I bring a hand to my mouth to keep horrible four-letter words from spilling out. Unlike the soft smile on the statue of Inez Clarke, this face is dark. Frightening. Pitch-black eyes like the night are set against porcelain skin, and her lips are pale. She doesn't look happy. She doesn't look alive."

So I was really excited when one of my libraries had this book in their collection! I have been hoping to
Jessica Lawson
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Like spooky? Like history? Love great characters? Then wowza, you're in for a treat with this book. You guys, I got SO many chills reading this book~ Lindsay Currie has already made a name in YA Horror, and this MG book will satisfy readers young and old. There's atmosphere from the very first page and more than that, the characters read like authentic kids you'd want to hang out with (okay, well, maybe not since I'm a graveyard weenie). Just the right balance of scary and heart! Can't wait for ...more
Scott Fillner
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Engaging novel which has a little bit of everything. Students will enjoy this spooky mystery.
Kendra Ayers
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As soon as I started reading The Peculiar Incident on Shady Street, it took me back to my younger self, the one who ingested books more than food on many occasions. I felt like twelve year old Kendra again, attempting to solve the mystery that was laid out before me. I got chills, I felt giddy, and I enjoyed every second of this journey into Tessa’s world.

I am not a huge fan of ghost stories, per say, but this particular one was different. Lindsay Currie created a fictional world full of
Ms. Yingling
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Above the Treeline

Tessa's family moves from Florida to an older home in Chicago so her father can accept a position in the symphony. Tessa misses her best friend, and strange things keep happening-- lights flicker, doors slam, and her little brother's super creepy ventriloquists dummy, Reno, appears to be crying! Her mother blames it all on the older home and the stress of moving. Tessa is glad to get outside, and enjoys North Pond, where she meets a neighbor, Andrew. She
royaevereads
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
A brilliant spooky middle grade read. Some parts really gave me the heebie-jeebies, it was genuinely scary at times! A nice little mystery as well, with memorable characters. If you like stories about hauntings you’ll love this one.
Kimberly
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Lindsay Currie and the KidLitExchange network for providing me with a copy of this book to review. All opinions are my own. This book will be released 10.10.17

Wow!!! What a great book. This might be set as a middle grade paranormal mystery, but it definitely kept this mama intrigued and stumped throughout the entire story. This book centers around a real Chicago legend and is a full on ghost story that will leave you giddy with excitement as well as a tad creeped out.

"She was missing
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
This was a solid kids supernatural horror mystery. There were several times reading it when I was surprised at how menacing the tone of the ghost seemed to be. For a kids’ book, it actually did get fairly creepy a few times. (Though that could be because there is a ventriloquist doll in it. Aren’t they creepy naturally?)

The main character, Tessa, was a well-written young girl. She seemed real and easy to relate to in The Peculiar Incident on Shady Street. The other kids that get introduced are
S.M. Parker
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ahhhhh! This book is PHENOMENAL. It’s a middle grade ghost story so you should read it just for that! Currie will creep you out in the best way. But even though there’s a two-hundred-year-old mystery and dusty, hidden secrets and LOTS of scary stuff (the kind of scary stuff that gave me gooseflesh and all over chills), there is also tenderness and kindness and SO MANY BEAUTIFUL MESSAGES ABOUT FREINDSHIP AND BELONGING AND ACCEPTANCE. The Peculiar Incident on Shady Street is the rare gem of a book ...more
Lisa Maxwell
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you know Lindsay Currie's other work, you know that she does creepy tension really, really, really well, and TPIOSS is no exception. It is a creeptastic page turner that will thrill people who love MG horror, like R. L. Stine. Peculiar Incident is delightfully creepy. I mean, there is a ventriloquist dummy...and that's not even the creepy part of the story. The ghostly scenes are awesome--they give you chills, while still being tame enough for a younger crowd. (To be honest, I'm kind of ...more
JennE
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'd like to thank the author, Lindsay Currie, and Kid Lit exchange for providing an e-book ARC. All opinions are my own.

Tessa and her family have moved from Florida where everything is bright, sunny and warm to gray, cold Chicago. Her father has gotten his dream job with the Chicago symphony, but with that has come sacrifices. Tess has had to leave her friends and school, her mother is not going to be able to sell beach scene art in Chicago and now they've moved into a creaky old house. There's
Jenna Lehne
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read an earlier version of this book and was blown away. The voice, the setting, the plot is all so creepily wonderful. You'll want to add this one to your TBR pile. Trust.
Lynley
Aaron
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read this through an ARC on Net Galley.

The Peculiar Incident on Shady Street presents like a creepy MG thriller and it delivers on this promise with a moderately scary plot that will be suitable for almost all middle grade readers. It’s certainly creepy but young children are not likely to be too scared. In addition, like other creepy books that my grade 5-7 students have enjoyed such as The Nest by Kenneth Oppel or The Night Gardener by Jonathan Auxier, the book has many
Laura Mossa
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade-lit
Prepare to be spooked! Tessa moves from sunny and sandy Florida to rainy and cold Chicago. She is not happy about starting over at a new school and desperately misses her best friend Rachel. Not long after her family moves into their new home, Tessa notices strange things happening. Could her house really be haunted? With the help of new friends, Tessa begins to uncover a mystery involving a young girl who died many, many years ago. Highly recommend this #mglit book for its seamlessly blending ...more
The Reading Countess
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club, arc, ebook, mystery
Kids will love this spooky mystery about a centuries-old ghost reaching out to artistic Tessa when her family is transplanted to Chicago. A creepy ventriloquist puppet, atmospheric storms and ghostly sketches keep the reader glued to the page. While the characters are in the seventh grade, the content and interaction between the friends are still accessible to younger middle grade readers. I especially liked Tessa's parents' approach to parenting/life and the idea of an adventure jar. Look for ...more
Brooks Benjamin
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I was given an ARC of The Peculiar Incident on Shady Street I was actually in the mood for a creepy MG ghost story so my expectations were high. I'm so glad to say that this book met every single on of them and still had more to offer! Tessa is such an incredible character and her friends, their teamwork, the city, its rich history, and even the ghost were all just as spectacular. I can't recommend this book enough!
Amber K.
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fans of Mary Downing Hahn are going to eat this up! This book had just the right amount of spookiness to it for middle grade readers. I was on the edge of my seat without being too scared and I think my 9 year old readers (and up) will feel the same way. This would make an amazing read aloud ins the fall and I'm definitely adding it to our Mock Newbery collection.
Marci Curtis
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to snag an early copy of this book and HOLY CATS, people, this story has All the Things:

Friendship.
Humor.
Suspense.
Feels.
Family.
Heart.
Fright. (Yup. You read that correctly--FRIGHT. This story is like the Swiss army knife of books...it does it all.)

Beautifully written and expertly crafted. One of my fave MGs of all time.
Wholeheartedly recommend.
Trina (aNovelReader)
It seems marketing took precedence over proofreading. This might have been a great story if not for all of the editing errors. By page 15, I had to call it quits.
Kyleigh
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: awesome-reads
This book was great! I think Tessa is such a great character, and she showed so much bravery in the story, and in the end, she wasn't scared of the ghost anymore. She had overcome her fear and solved the mystery of Inez Briggs. I loved when Andrew, Nina, and Tessa came together and solved the mystery. Each character had something offer; like how Nina had knowledge of the paranormal and spirituality. Lindsay Currie did a great job explaining how Tessa felt, and how her friendship with Andrew and ...more
Alyson Kent
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Creepy and atmospheric. Loved it!
Melodie Winawer
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure: My almost 10 year old daughter read this book in 1 day. (I haven't read it). She says:

"I love this book! I savored it until independent reading time, instead of just reading it immediately, like I usually do with books. I didn't want it to end!! Is it a series? Thank you for writing this book because it's the most mysterious suspenseful book I've ever read."
Julie Kirchner
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A scary ghost story that will be a favorite of Mary Downing Hahn fans. Gave me nightmares, but also had wonderful themes of friendship and showed how hard it can be for kids to move from their home and start life with people at a new school, especially middle grade kids. Luckily for Tessa, a restless ghost brought new friends to her life!
Marian
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-s-reads
Loved the references to Chicago’s LP and GC neighborhoods
Niki (nikilovestoread)
This book was so much fun! It's creepy and wonderful. The main character, Tessa, moves with her family from Florida to Chicago for her father's new job. She's worried and sad about leaving her home and friends. As the family settles into their new home, disturbing things start happening in their house. Tessa comes to the conclusion that her house is haunted. While trying to figure what is going on, she makes some new friends who prove invaluable to solving the mystery as well as helping her ...more
Kate ☀️ Olson
Spooky and filled with an incredibly dark and creepy sense of foreboding, Currie has perfectly filled the middle grade desire for a healthy dose of fear.

Thanks to the author, Net Galley and Kid Lit Exchange for the digital review copy of this book ~ all opinions are my own.

Let me start by saying that I do NOT read ghost stories or creepy stories or scary stories of ANY kind in the adult genre. However, as a middle grade kid, all I read was Christopher Pike and RL Stine, so I definitely have
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
E-ARC provided by Edelweiss
This middle grade ghost story is a perfect match for readers who want suspense/scary without being overly creepy. Very hard to put down once I started!
Brenda
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Log Cabin Library

Tessa's dad just got a new job in Chicago with the symphony, so their family packs up and leaves sunny Florida. For Tessa, this also means leaving her best friend Rachel behind and moving into a creepy house built in the late 1800's. A house that as soon as she steps into sets her skin crawling. Shortly after moving in Tessa's younger brother Jonah begins to have nightmares, and strange occurrences start to happen like lights flickering on and off, rooms
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Mustaches for Maddie
  • The Losers Club
  • One for Sorrow
  • Insignificant Events in the Life of a Cactus
  • Greetings from Witness Protection!
  • The Secret Sheriff of Sixth Grade
  • Maybe He Just Likes You
  • EngiNerds
  • Hideout
  • My Jasper June
Chicago is my city. Halloween is my fave. Writing is my love. Family is my heart.

THE PECULIAR INCIDENT ON SHADY STREET, out now from Simon & Schuster/Aladdin. Coming soon, WHISPERS FROM THE DARK, Sourcebooks 2020!