Start by marking “Between Shadows (Assassins, #1)” as Want to Read:
Between Shadows (Assassins, #1)

Between Shadows

(Assassins #1)

A sexy new thriller about love and revenge from the author of the Capital Confessions and International School series…

X lives by three rules: Show no weakness. Trust no one. Don’t get caught. She lives by the rules they gave her.

The Academy—set in London, shrouded in secrecy—it trains spies, computer experts, and assassins. Their mission? Dispensing justice and altering
Published January 19th 2016

Eliza

Title: Between Shadows
Series: Assassins, #1
Author: Chanel Cleeton
Release date: 19th January, 2016
Cliffhanger: No
HEA: (view spoiler)

Chanel Cleeton brought me one of my favourite series of 2015 with the Capital Confessions. This in turn with her much anticipated Wild Aces series has firmly cemented her as one of my go-to authors.

As a reader who never tends to stray too far from her contemporary romance roots, I easily found myself submerged in this thrilling story of love,
Snow

5 "assassins" stars

It's difficult to summarize the story without giving away the details, it's a mix of everything and very well wrapped into an action/drama/romance little bundle of joy.
It could easily be marked as a hybrid of the JA HUSS's series
Come (Dirty, Dark, and Deadly, #1) by J.A. Huss Coming for You (Dirty, Dark, and Deadly, #3) by J.A. Huss Come Back (Dirty, Dark, and Deadly, #2) by J.A. Huss and the tv serie Dark Angel and yet it has an essence of its own.

The story…
We meet a 19 year old young woman. A professional. A killer. An asset. Finishing her latest mission ordered by the Academy.

Officially the Academy is a privately founded
Cora Tea Party Princess
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 Words: Assassin, family, fight, shadows, love.

This book is amazing.

I wasn't such a fan of the Capital Confessions series - I can only take so much politics, and it's not much - but with this book Chanel Cleeton is back on track.

I loved the pace, how right from the start there was action and intrigue. I loved how there was this secret place where assassins, assets, were trained from childhood in their deadly craft. The way it was written was so believable, it rang true. It could exist.

X was my
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
Unfortunately I couldn't connect with the characters.And I feel bad about this one since I love this author and her other books.Maybe I'll try it again another time.

*An advance reading copy was generously provided to me in exchange for an honest review.*

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
description

‘No one can keep a mask on forever; there are always moments when it slips, moments when the darkness demands its time in the sun.’

This is our first time reading this Author and we thoroughly enjoyed Chanel Cleeton’s writing style. It was reminiscent of the YA romance thrillers we used to read years ago. We knew this was a standalone upon starting and with the beginning starting so strong and fast paced we thought we were in for one hell of a thrilling and suspenseful ride. We were absolutely lo
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
Book – Between Shadows
Author – Chanel Cleeton
Publication Date – January 19, 2016
Genre – Romantic Suspense
Type – Stand Alone…but I want more
Cliffhanger – ??
Rating – 4.25 out of 5 Stars

Complimentary Copy generously provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Loved these characters and so much action jammed in a story!

Full review to come closer to publication date!!

Reason for Reading – Author Request
Story Rating – 4.5 out of 5 Stars
Steam Rating – 4 out of 5 Stars
Angst Rating
Michelle
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review

photo c06095079706e8ce0137bf0db61079_zpsdvmcoobh.gif

photo b08451d27adc8c3cfcc945f5454dff_zpsb3lsxwgj.gif“My success depends on my ability to blend into the shadows. I am the best. I am a ghost. ”

Chanel Cleeton continues to amaze me as she tackles a sexy fast-paced romantic suspense thriller that will set hearts racing!!! In Between Shadows, Ms. Cleeton writes a smart story that perfectly weaves and balances action, suspense, secrets, betrayals and love.

#BetweenShadows

Right off the opening pages, readers are immersed and doused with the raw magnetic pull
Gitte TotallyBookedBlog
Mar 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016

Julie

description

When the author asked me to review this one, I jumped on it. I'd read another book by Cleeton (Playing with Trouble) and I absolutely adored it. I just knew that I needed to get my hands on this one as well and I couldn't start it quick enough.

I've read a couple of books about teen spies and this one was, by far, the best of the lot. I was hooked from the very first page ... the action and intrigue were both amazing and I couldn't get enough. I also enjoyed the characters but I'll get into that
Zakirrah BookBlogger
3.5 Stars!!

This is the first book I have read by Chanel Cleeton and I am pleasantly surprised. After not reading for what seems like ages but I''m sure it was only a day or two but it felt like a long time anyways this was great. I loved how action packed it was but not over the top or too much. It's been a while since I read anything consisting of adventure/ action in it and this really worked.

The characters were likable, even though X did annoy me at times.I loved how Luke and X had great che
Carlene Inspired
ARC recieved via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
You can find more of my reviews at Carlene Inspired.

X has been preparing for this moment since she entered The Academy, she must complete one final task before she is released into the world as an assassin. Except she's a bit different than the others, her kills stick in her mind, she has nightmares of the past, and she's always curious about the truth. Is justice the only purpose they serve? When everything starts turning upside down,
Irene

Between Shadows was such an entertaining read, I really enjoyed it.
The storyline captured my interest from the first page, I couldn't put it down.
Both X and Luke were great characters, they had a strong connection that you could clearly see from the first moment Luke walks back into X's life.

description

Between Shadows was a nail biting thrilling action packed story and I highly recommend it. A great start to the Assassins series.

*ARC provided by NetGalley for an honest review*
Caitlin L
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
So great! Review to come!
Ralou by Collector Of Book Boyfriends
 photo ARC REVIEW_zps2snz3i0j.jpg

Link: http://collectorofbookboyfriends.com/...

Book Review: 5+ Assassins Stars!

I have to say that I’m feeling thoroughly story-satisfied right now. Everything inside my body have reached the absolute level of satisfaction. And how could they not when they come face-to-face with the incredible book that’s called Between Shadows?

Although, this is my first interaction with Chanel Cleeton, I can say for sure that she just became one of my favorites and most-anticipated authors. I was completely blow
Michelle
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I hadn't heard of Between Shadows until I was contacted by the author. I read an excerpt which gave us the first few pages of the book, and it definitely piqued my interest, so I accepted a copy for review. I began reading Between shadows, eager to find out who X really is, and what this academy is all about. Who isn't curious about a school full of spies and assassins. To the outside world,the Academy is an orphanage and school, but in reality it's a training school, where you learn skills for ...more
Amy
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 exciting stars!!

“No one can keep a mask on forever; there are always moments when it slips, moments when the darkness demands its time in the sun.”

What a thrilling, exciting ride!! I have to tell you, when I first heard about this book, I was pumped. I could not wait to read it. The synopsis sounded so exciting, I just knew I had to get my hands on this story. And I have to tell you, as soon as I picked up this book, I could not put it down. I was immediately sucked into X’s world. I wanted
Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
Indefinitely paused at 55%

No rating, no full review. I think this was more of being in the right mood for a book like this and I just don't seem to be. I love Chanel's writing and I loved the premise of the story. The slow build and mix of Romantic Suspense with New Adult just didn't quite captivate me. I'm an overly picky reader when it comes to RS, so that may be why.

As much as I wanted to love this, when I hit the halfway point and still felt no connection to the H or h, I had to put it on h
Monique
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received a copy of this book through NetGalley

Probably closer to 3.5 stars.

I can't deny that I was hooked on this book because I started it on the train and had to continue reading it when I got home. I feel like there is something for everyone in this book and the characters are really interesting. Also, so much action - it was brilliant! The only downfall for me was that some parts dragged however as a whole, this is worth the read and I will most definitely be continuing on.
Aliaa El-Nashar
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've read two series by Cleeton, but this one is by far the most intriguing book. There's such a huge contrast between the books, and I absolutely fell in love with the intricate world she wove here. I had so much fun getting to know the characters, their psychological states and their rich backgrounds. I can't wait for more by her, this was such an incredible read!
Kimberly (Kimmy Loves to Read)
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 4-stars
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Chanel's Capital Confessions series was one of the best I read last year. I was intrigued when I read this synopsis because it was so different from that series. The last book had a little bit of action and intrigue and I really enjoyed that, so I was looking forward to reading Between Shadows.
My name is X. My favorite color is black. I’ve killed more men than I’d like to count.
Alright then. You have my attention.

X is an assass
Chel (The Procrastinator's Corner)
This review is also posted on The Procrastinator's Corner

"It’s the banner I’ll carry when I annihilate them."
“Maybe I’ll see if I can play with you later.” I laugh, the sound harsh in the cold London night. You don’t play with a vial of smallpox.

Can we talk about how badass our protagonist, X, is? Because damn, that girl says the most kickass lines ever and she's not just all talk! There's tons of action here too. In fact, we get to see X's fierceness at the start of the book right off the bat.

X
Chu
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
She was known as X, and she was the best in The Academy. She didn’t remember anything before coming into The Academy. Her life before then was a constant blur and she wasn’t sure if they were all nightmares or memories.

All her life she had lived by their rules. She lost all her emotions the moment they gave her very first assignment. Her life was never the same again. All she cared about now was her sister and finishing each assignment that was assigned to her. Her mission with The Academy was
Lustful Literature
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it

Beth's Review

I first fell in love with Chanel Cleeton’s writing when I picked up her Capital Confession’s series. Between the Shadows is a romantic suspenseful mystery type of read and I must say, this is not the type of story I normally read, but loving the author’s writing so much, when I saw that she had a new book coming out, I knew I had to read it.

X and her younger sister have been at the Academy for the past 9 years since their parent’s death. This is the life they have known and have bee
Lacey (Booklovers For Life)
Originally posted at Booklovers For Life

What a thrilling, heart-pounding read! I love books that take me to the edge of my seat, and Between Shadows did exactly that. It’s suspenseful, fast-paced, and filled with action. There’s also a swoon-worthy romance with a dreamy hero, so what’s not to love about this book?

X is an assassin for the Academy – she’s been trained since a young age to be a deadly weapon. The most important thing in her life is her sister Grace, but even her love for Grace can’
Jen
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read the full review on Bookaholics Not-So-Anonymous.

Note: This ARC was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

X and Luke used to be a couple...that is, until she killed him. At least, she thought she had killed him. And that's just the beginning of the deception that goes on in the story. Luke is now an asset but he's learned certain things while in the field, things that cause doubts to surface. And then there's X who is every bit the trained assassin that she was meant to be,
Tehteh
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Between Shadows is the first book in a new, edgier series by Chanel Cleeton. It is set in London, much like her debut, but that's all they have in common.
Our main character and narrator is a girl. You don't necessarily get her right away, but you find out pretty quickly that she is a teenager assasin, trained by an elite organization called the Academy. All you get about her is that she is called X, is an orphan, has a sister she desperately wants to protect and she has a hell of a lot of demons
Silvana [The Book Voyagers]
You can find my review here as well: http://thebookvoyagers.blogspot.com/2...

As always Chanel Cleeton makes me enjoy books a lot. I love the ideas, plots, surrounding her books. And Between Shadows is definitely a good one. It's about spies, computer hackers and assassins if you're into that (who isn't tho). It has action and a really hot romance in between. It is about the past and the present and definitely the future of one X who is the main character of the novel. She is the perfect assassin
Mel
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I discovered this author last year when a book buddy of mine recommended her Capital Confessions series, a series of three romantic and intriguing tales about three daughters of a political dynasty and their complicated love lives set amidst the backdrop of Washington D.C. I was hooked. I inhaled that series and quickly moved onto her International School series, a new adult series set primarily in London.

Having finished this, her latest, I can honestly say this: Chanel Cleeton can write ANYTHI
Chanel Cleeton
Oct 30, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: thrillers

For information on new releases you can sign up for my newsletter here
BethyMac
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
ARC received in exchange for honest review... full review can be found at

• Zel (Deviants & Saints, #1)
  • Instigation (Clandestine Affairs, #1)
  • Salvation (Defiance, #3)
  • Seaside Seduction
  • The Lost Souls (The Holy Trinity, #2.5)
  • Soul of Smoke (Dragonsworn, #1)
  • Risking It All (Hellfire Riders MC, #5)
  • Fighting Grief (Knockout, #1)
  • Sin (Devil's Den, #3)
  • His Bold Heart (Death Lords MC, #7)
  • Heat It Up
  • A Ride or Die Kind of Love
  • Blamed (Blood Money #1)
  • Blushing (The Brightside, #2)
  • Oil and Leather (Sons of Mayhem, #1.1)
  • Slow Ride (Bedlam Butchers MC, #6)
  • Selling Out (The Lost Girls, #2)
  • Denying Mr. Parks (Parks #1)
Sign up for Chanel's monthly newsletter to receive exclusive news and updates about her next book- http://bit.ly/1tglPgi.

Chanel Cleeton is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of Reese Witherspoon Book Club pick Next Year in Havana and When We Left Cuba. Originally from Florida, Chanel grew up on stories of her family's exodus from Cuba following the events of the Cuban Revolution.