Start by marking “Finding Jade (Daughters of Light, #1)” as Want to Read:
Finding Jade (Daughters of Light, #1)

Finding Jade

(Daughters of Light #1)

The year is 2030, and climate change is making life on Earth more challenging. Fourteen-year-old Jasmine Guzman is struggling to come to terms with the abduction of her twin sister, Jade, and her mother’s illness. Things go from bad to worse when a series of bizarre occurrences make Jasmine wonder if she’s losing her mind. But, with help from Raphael, a boy at her new scho ...more
Published December 17th 2016 by Dundurn

To ask other readers questions about Finding Jade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Jade

Start your review of Finding Jade (Daughters of Light, #1)
James Tivendale
Oct 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, netgalley
Hello, Goodreads friends. I received this story in advance of release from Netgalley for an honest review. I would like the thank Mary Jennifer Payne and dundurnpress for this opportunity.
#Daughtersoflight x.

My good friend, Mrs. M J Payne throws us- as lovely readers into Toronto 2030. Dystopian. Very similar to our existence but climate change has made a difference so characters have to wear masks so they do not find themselves deceased as has happened to many individuals since our
Carrie
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
In the year 2030 the Earth has undergone many changes due to the changes in the climate, a lot of the world has become uninhabitable and there is much debate on what to do with the refugees. Fourteen year old Jasmine Guzman lives in an habitable area but she is still trying to cope with the abduction of her twin sister when the girls were ten.

Along with the loss of her sister Jasmine's mother is battling Lupus so Jasmine has had to grow up rather quickly. When sent to a new school Jasmine's who
Sheila Goicea
See my FULL review of this book on my blog along with others at: shesgoingbookcrazy.com

I received a copy of this book from the publisher, Dun Durn, in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

Jasmine has always been different from most kids her age--she was born a twin. She grew up close to her sister until a few years ago when Jade was abducted. Jasmine and her mother have never recovered from the incident, understandably. With no body, or trace of evidence, there was no closure for them.

Life in 2030 was hot, no matte/>I
Nadja (fit-and-beautiful-heart-reads)
I requested this book a while ago via Netgalley but never really found the time to read it, although I kept looking into it constantly reading a couple of pages.

So I guess I have to double thank Dundurn here and apologize for my delayed reviews to all my readers and goodreads followers who have seen this on my shelf for at least 3 months now.

So finding Jade is for me difficult to place in a genre, it has a bit of distopian elements but also fantasy, yet again certai
Jenn
This one was...well...different. Like one of those where I think I liked it, but I'm not really sure.

Finding Jade takes place in the not so distant future. The world as we know it has succumbed to major climate change making most of the world unlivable. Jasmine and her mother live in Toronto, one of the only major cities to be habitable. But aside from the ever changing climate, Jasmine is also still coming to terms with her twin sisters disappearance. Then Jasmine starts a new school, one where she knows no onsure.
Finding
Rochelle
Dec 07, 2016 rated it liked it
I was given an ARC through NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

It’s difficult to write a review for this book, because the book itself doesn’t seem to know what it wants to be. Is it dystopian? Yes. Set in the near future (2030) where climate change has adversely affected the world. Is it paranormal? Yes. Seer twins attending a magical school. Is it supernatural? Yes. Angels, Demons, and Limbo. Is it time travel? Yes. London during WWII and the Black Death. The book references
Jaclyn
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun YA fantasy about twins with powers called Seers. It's a short book so some things resolve pretty quickly/conveniently. (e.g. Jasmine doesn't know she's a Seer, is sent to fight demons without any prior training, and somehow is able to defeat one at the first try. Because powers.) The mythology around Seers/Protectors/demons is kept pretty simple, which I liked. I'm not super clear on exactly what the demons want and I'm a bit muddled on the powers Seers have (e.g. Raphael says they're strong ...more
Stephanie
Dec 09, 2016 added it
Shelves: 2016
Alycia Canfield
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Although I got this book for a review I loved it. It brings you to the year 2030. Things are pretty like they are now. however they wear a mask because of the weather change or climate. Lots of kids die in this book because the weather. Shes goes to some kind of magical school. Although this is a YA book Adults can enjoy this well written book too!
Rachel
CR
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This little story was very fast paced. I do wished that the snarkyness of the title was a little less than what it was but it was still a great story. The writing itself was fairly simple and the story was pretty straight forward. This dystopian story with elements of science fiction and fantasy was one combo I won't soon forget. The characters were all wonderful and I am so glad that I have the other two books!
Aurora Batty
Dec 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young adult dystopian lovers
Shelves: fantasy, action-adv
In short if was good but it wasn't without its issues. You might find yourself hating the main character but loving the storyline itself, that's how I felt more than half the time I was reading this.
You can find a full review on my blog here:

Alain
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked the story and also I felt like a mix of some other books: Neverwhere, Twilight, Divergent, The time machine and others!
Lily
Sep 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book (personally) was very confusing and her other books are much better
Melissa Menten
I wanted to like this story-the idea of a lost twin and a sister bent on finding her is interesting and so is the idea that climate change might have such a dire effect on the world. The plot was just so-so (certain female twins have magic/psychic power to fight demons, who for some reason are finding ways to break into our world), and the climate change element was a little heavy-handed. Jasmine and her missing twin possess special power because they are descendants of Lilith, the "other" wife ...more
Karen Whittard
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley, Dundurn publishing and author Mary Jennifer Payne for the opportunity to read this book for an honest review

The year is 2030. Climate change has changed the world to be a very challenging place to live. Many people have not survived these changes and those that have, have to wear masks in order to survive.

Our main character Jasmine goes to school one day like normal but is refuse entry. Jasmine cannot work out why. But is sent to a new school. A school for seers people
Fatinamudz
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jacinta Carter
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Finding Jade has the potential to be a great YA novel, but it's trying to do the work of a whole series in under 300 pages. It combines thriller elements with the supernatural with the mythology of angels and demons with teen angst with political commentary with futuristic dystopia. Unfortunately, trying to fit all of this into one book leaves too many underdeveloped plot lines. The most important part of the novel (a teenage girl discovering she has supernatural abilities that can help her find ...more
Lavinyaa Pash
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: `
I might've skim-read most of the book, but that made the reading experience much better. It's my first and currently book read in one sitting.
Yes, it was unpredictable despite using tropes. Twins. Instalove. Typical mean girl. A zero becomes a hero. I did it to save my [insert special person here]. Et cetera. Et cetera. Et cetera. To her credit, the author combined all those tropes into an action-packed, fluid, fast read full of twists and unpredictable courses of events.
Thanks, Netg
Chelsey
Dec 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I was given this book through a Goodreads Giveaway, and I read it because I felt I needed to, and owed a review to the author. I found it really hard to get through. I really liked the concept of the book, but the way it was written, I don't know really. It just dragged on.
And I feel that you find things out way too quickly, there is no build up. I mean, yeah there are plot twists, but totally obvious ones.
It wasn't a BAD book, but it also wasn't my favorite.
Kathleen Gray
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I suspect the YA audience will enjoy this more than I did. It's well written and plotted but a bit disjointed for me. I was also distracted by the fact that it takes place in 2030, which is not that far from now. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.
Margaret Bryant
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Not your average dystopia!
Jessica Draewell
rated it did not like it
Jan 06, 2017
Jan 02, 2018
Kirsten
Mar 25, 2018

• Finding Grace
  • A Cast of Falcons (Birder Murder Mystery #3)
  • Under the Dusty Moon
  • Flee, Fly, Flown
  • Wildings
  • Salvage
  • Invisible North: The Search For Answers on a Troubled Reserve
  • Go Home Lake
  • 44 Hours or Strike!
  • The Moscow Code (A Foreign Affairs Mystery #2)
  • Wait For It: The Legen-dary Story of How I Met Your Mother
  • The Miracles of Ordinary Men
  • Project Superhero
  • Stuck in Downward Dog
  • Fire in the Stars (An Amanda Doucette Mystery #1)
  • Shallow End (Stonechild and Rouleau, #4)
  • Kalyana
  • Interference
Mary Jennifer Payne's writing has been published in journals, anthologies, and magazines both in Canada and abroad, and she is the author of several YA graphic novels. Since You've Been Gone is her first YA novel. She teaches with the Toronto District School Board and lives in Toronto.

Daughters of Light (3 books)
  • Solomon's Ring (Daughters of Light #2)
  • Darkness Rising (Daughters of Light, #3)