Start by marking “Room 46” as Want to Read:

Room 46

At first glance there is nothing special about Room 46. Yet once people step across the threshold, unexpected things start to happen.

Grace has been hiding in a cocoon, convinced that the life she once imagined for herself is now unattainable. But from the first time she reluctantly knocks on the door and enters Room 46, her days of retreating from the world are numbered.

Published November 21st 2015 by Helen McKenna

To ask other readers questions about Room 46, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Room 46

Start your review of Room 46
Sharon
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-2016
E-book gifted by the author for review

Room 46 is a lot of things to a lot of different people. For Edith, it is her place now, after a tragic accident that left her unable to look after herself this is where she ended up. Even though it is bright and colourful and the people are friendly and helpful, to her it is a place she would rather not be.

For Grace, it is a place she dreads going to, she is afraid, afraid because her life had not turned out the way she had imagined. So much promise and
MarciaB - Book Muster Down Under
For more of my reviews, go to http://bookmusterdownunder.blogspot.c...

I was somewhat intrigued by the description of this book when I received it in the mail a few weeks ago and I couldn’t wait for it to reach the top of my pile.

Needless to say, on finishing it, I was thoroughly satisfied.

I first came across Helen McKenna a few years back when she published her novel, The Beach House (my review here http://bookmusterdownunder.blogspot.c...) which I enjoyed immensely and was blown away by how
Simone
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aww-2015
A nursing home may seem like an unusual setting for a novel, but author Helen McKenna has cleverly used it as an anchor for a story that contains many threads and several key characters.

Twenty year old Grace is a reluctant volunteer at Rosehill Gardens. She's only there to fulfil the new criteria for her welfare payments. Self conscious and uneasy her hope is to slip in and out each week without any fanfare. Volunteer co-ordinator Sylvia has other plans though and pairs Grace up with much loved
Olivia
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have been looking out for this author's next book and was not disappointed with Room 46.

Grace and Edith have been brought together by chance via a reading program at Rosehill Gardens. Edith is bedridden and has to rely on others for her every need. Grace suffers from anxiety and has withdrawn from the world to try and keep some element of control on her life. She is required to volunteer due to Centrelink rules and plans to get in and out as fast as she can. Fate has other things in store,
Georgie
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In a nursing home called Rosehill Gardens, two people are brought together under unusual circumstances. The first is Edith, a woman whose happy life was destroyed after an accident. She is no longer able to look after herself and is a patient in the home.
The other, Grace, is a troubled girl deemed unfit for work. She is haunted by feelings of guilt and experiences panic attacks.
As part of a new government initiative, Grace is sent to Rosehill Gardens as a volunteer, and asked to spend time with
Norma
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An unexpected surprise.

This isn't my usual reading fare, but I really enjoyed the book. The characters came alive through the writing, and I got caught up in their lives.
Susan Swiderski
The premise for this book is a delight, and the characters who populate it are well-developed and memorable. Edith, a former teacher, is stuck in a nursing home at an unusually young age, but with the help of staff and friends, she is trying to make the most of it in a most unusual way. Enter Grace, a troubled young girl who suffers anxiety attacks, and is assigned to do volunteer work at the nursing home. Somehow, it's easier to talk to Edith, probably because Edith can't talk, so Grace slowly ...more
Kylie
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Grace, a young woman with a troubled past, volunteers in a nursing home where she is asked to read to a patient - Edith, entirely dependent on those around her. It's not a choice Grace has made for herself, but part of a government incentive to continue social welfare payments.

The story drew me in right from the beginning - many a twist that I didn't see coming. My favourite 'story within a story' was Sarah's, the wedding photographer.

The mystery of Grace was the most compelling for me, how she
Barbara L. Rose
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very different type of story

Normally I read mystery or thriller stories, but this caught my attention. This is a series of connected stories that make you really look at your own life a lot more closely. The characters are very well developed. The author draws you in slowly and keeps you thinking even after the end. A refreshing change for me. I don't summarise my reviews by explaining the story in detail. I truly dislike reviewers that do this. It ruins the book for me. Give this one a try
Wendy
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
After reading Helen McKenna's first novel, The Beach House, I was so looking forward to Room 46.

Again Helen has brought her characters to life in such a way that I feel like I've met them in person and know them. I love that she has featured ordinary everyday people who appear very real.

It is a different kind of format for a novel but if you persevere it all comes together at the end. So, I'd recommend you give it a go.
Eunice Korczak
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Room 46

Room 46 is a very well-crafted book that presents the stories of several interesting individuals without confusion or feeling of crowding. In fact, the reader may approach the end of the book before realizing just how many people you have come to know.
Trudie
Excellent book!
Kitty
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very different sort of book... sort of like "stories within stories". It's one of those books that makes you really think about life. The theme seems to be "things aren't always what they seem", and "you can't control everything that happens to you, but you CAN control how you react to it".
Debbie
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
People watching in extreme

This story puts a whole new twist to people watching. All the stories with in a story lead to a highly satisfying read. Getting to know the stories behind all the people involved. Kinda like trying to imagine the stories behind the strangers you pass everyday or have small conversations with but never really get to know.
Chris
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hooked

This book is a collection of well told short stories, glued together by a larger story that hooked me and would t let go. I was hesitant to start it but once I did, I couldn't put it down.
Carrie Junot
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Makes you think

Great read and very enjoyable. Makes you think about how each story can end differently than you think. Definitely grab this book and read it.
Sharyn
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Before i started i was not sure what to expect but once i started I was so intrigued with the short stories throughout the book as part of the larger story - it was so well written and i found it hard to put it down. Looking forward to reading more from the author. I would highly recommend this book to others. I received the book for free through Goodreads Giveaways.
Gray
Apr 27, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Humble & Kind
  • Easy Keto Desserts: 60+ Low-Carb, High-Fat Desserts for Any Occasion
  • A Wolf's Song: a Lion Shifters novel (Paranormal Africa: The Lion Shifters Book 5)
  • The Sand Pebbles
  • Many Ways to Say I Love You: Wisdom for Parents and Children from Mister Rogers
  • The Bone Feud
  • The United States Camel Corps: The History of the U.S. Army’s Use of Camels in the Southwest during the 19th Century
  • Diabetic Living Diabetes Meals by the Plate: 90 Low-Carb Meals to Mix  Match
  • Easy Keto Dinners: Flavorful Low-Carb Meals for Any Night of the Week
  • Scouting the Divine: My Search for God in Wine, Wool, and Wild Honey
  • Behind You
  • If You Come Softly
  • Talk Sweetly to Me (Brothers Sinister, #4.5)
  • A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe (The Salvagers, #1)
  • Songbird Season (Melinda Foster, #5)
  • Unraveling the Pieces (Ormond Beach, #3)
  • Choice of Weapon
  • Honor Among Thieves (The Honors, #1)
Helen McKenna grew up in Queensland, Australia. An avid reader from childhood, she always dreamed of writing her own book one day.

Helen completed a B.A. degree at the University of Queensland and has worked in many fields – banking, local government, in learning support, as a swimming instructor and as a biographer. Her love of the beach and Queenslander houses inspired her to write The Beach