Start by marking “The Dialogue Thesaurus: A Fiction Writer's Sourcebook of Dialogue Tags and Phrases” as Want to Read:

The Book Every Aspiring Fiction Writer Needs On Their Bookshelf!

Sometimes the word 'said' just doesn't cut it. Sometimes a writer needs something with a little more expressive power; a word or phrase that helps the reader visualize the tonal quality or mood of the character doing the talking.

For many years, writers have been eagerly awaiting the publication of a resource
Published October 27th 2015 by Satin Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Dialogue Thesaurus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dialogue Thesaurus

Start your review of The Dialogue Thesaurus: A Fiction Writer's Sourcebook of Dialogue Tags and Phrases
 ★ gwiz ★
Great reference book for writing dialogue. A wealth of entries for both standard and deep point of view. If using deep POV know which ones not to use.
Peggy Miller
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Words for the writers soul!

This a treasure for all writers. There is so much good information here i,m "overwhelmed " got that from the book. Thank you so much!
Takara Takara James
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Reference

This is much needed. As a writer who tries to be unique in my own language, using this book will help me carry out dialogue in a more creative way.
Roger Alderman
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book always remains close by as I work on my own fiction titles.
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Useful Useful Useful

This little book provides useful phrases that definitely will be handy. A perfect little springboard to help the writing dive.
Maggie
Aug 25, 2019 rated it liked it
helpful. helpful. helpful.
Michelle Courtney
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love this Thesaurus. Every phrase in a YA book all in one book! Thank you Dahlia!
Jennie
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Writers, Authors
I find this Thesaurus really useful. Just reading through the different emotions and feelings, inspired me. It has so many different words and phrases, I assume took a while to collect and write. I love the layout of the book, it was easy to find what I was looking for. In my opinion this is a Great book for fiction writers.
Dianna Sandora Sandora
Book is worth it for the body language, Don't use anything other than "said"

This book is worth it for the body language section otherwise, use said. No offense to Ms. Evans, but there are a lot of great authors who suggest this rule.
JoyfullyDazed
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Must Have For Writers.

I initially downloaded the sample because the reviews were so mixed, but within a few seconds of opening the book, I purchased it. Very, very helpful and easy to navigate .....a must have for every writer's reference library. Definitely worth $2.99!
Dom Del Prete
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a highly useful reference tool that anyone writing a novel should consider for his or her library.

With this book, the author has successfully simplified the process for novelists who require assistance in selecting the appropriate descriptive words.
Cayla
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent work!
Hibburt Glenn
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
It was pretty awful. There were some incredibly helpful bits, but there were more incredibly unhelpful bits chocka full of bad advice.
Joe
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Imagine

I would never have known any of this. It beats the heck out He said/She said. Unbelievable detail...a learning resource!!
Jacqueline Ballard
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Awesome resource for any writer!

Just a gem of a little book and well organized, to boot! If you struggle finding verbs as tags, you will be glad you found it.
Jazz Feylynn
Kayla Krantz
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: random
The first part of this book I use every day! Though I don't necessarily agree with part two, I found parts three and four to be useful as well.
Brandi Declue
Anne
May 19, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Expression
  • Strong Verbs for Fiction Writers (Indie Author Resources Book 2)
  • Character Reactions from Head to Toe
  • The Emotional Wound Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Psychological Trauma
  • Emotional Beats: How to Easily Convert your Writing into Palpable Feelings (Author Tools Book 1)
  • The Short Story Romance Handbook: How I Make Over $1,000 a Month Writing Short Story Romance (and it only took me 3 months)
  • The Urban Setting Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to City Spaces
  • How to Write a Murder Mystery - Seven Steps to Success
  • The Negative Trait Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Flaws
  • Understanding Conflict: (And What It Really Means) (Skill Builders Series Book 2)
  • Southern Spells (Sweet Tea Witch Mysteries, #2)
  • The Path of Flames (Chronicles of the Black Gate #1)
  • The City of Lost Fortunes (Crescent City #1)
  • Thesaurus of the Senses
  • Southern Myths (Sweet Tea Witch Mysteries #3)
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Southern Sorcery (Sweet Tea Witch Mysteries #4)
  • Curves at the Reunion (Curves From the Past #3)
“she studied him with bright, curious eyes” 0 likes