Start by marking “Iron (The Warding, #1)” as Want to Read:
Iron (The Warding, #1)

Iron

(The Warding #1)

Not every fairy-tale needs a Prince Charming.

When a troll no one else can see attacks her outside the bar on her 30th birthday, Caitlin Moore thinks someone spiked her drink. It isn’t until a team of faeries rescues her and reveals that she has a special Gift that she realizes it’s something worse: she’s just become the star of her own twisted fairy-tale.

Her newly awakened
Published September 21st 2015 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Iron, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iron

Kickarse Reviews
Feb 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, paranormal
Caitlin Moore works a dead end job, lives alone and spends weekends drinking it up at the local watering hole where her bestie serves as a bar maid. Yeah, life couldn't be more boring for the brand new 30 year old. So when she gains new magical powers and bumps into an ugly troll outside the bar, she freaks out and nearly gets her head smashed in, only to be rescued by a bunch of fairies. Well, Fae, if they hear you call them fairies they will probably rip your arms off.

Tossed into a world of m
Nathan Wall
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received the book as part of my Holiday Give Back Book Blast preview review special. However, I began liking it so much that I decided to read the whole thing, at which point it no longer qualified for my "preview review" but a full on review.

So, allow me to trudge on as spoiler free as I can make it and tell you what I thought about the book in order to persuade you to buy it. Or I can just say go buy the book, or at the very least download it for 2.99 on Kindle. Seriously, it's a pittance c
Jason Crawford
Today, I am reviewing the Paranormal/Urban Fantasy story Iron by Robin L. Cole. The first novel in the exciting The Warding series, we’re introduced to a world where fae folk (don’t call them “faeries;” it pisses them off) walk between the worlds. Some of them, however, have run afoul of the increasingly mad High King, and have been exiled to Earth, searching for some way to return.

Unfortunately for Caitlin, a regular woman who’s rapidly approaching her 30th birthday (and feeling every minute o
Ln Winchester
Overall good, but unlikable heroine

I liked the storyline of Iron but, as indicated, I found the heroine unlikable. Being in Caitlin's head almost caused me to give up on this book several times.

First of all, is 30 the new 18? This is a trend I'm seeing in UF books lately; an adult female lead acting very immature. In this story, Caitlin at least is aware she's being petty, childish, overdramatic, petulant, selfish, sulking and so on. But in a way that's worse. If you know you're being a childish
Heather Russell
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
On her 30th birthday Caitlin makes a wish to “Please let me figure out who I am.” Well she should have known better than to tempt fate! As she’s leaving the bar she sees a troll that no one else can see. When it attacks her she is saved by a man who is really a faerie who has been exiled along with some of his friends. While being rescued she hits her head and is knocked out. When she wakes she is told that she has a newly awakened gift called The Warding. Her gift makes her immune to fae magic ...more
Mandy Wultsch
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Caitlin turns 30 and is beaten up by a troll on the same night. A mysterious group of fae (not faries) helps her fight off the nasty troll and the story is off and running. She has an innate power that lets her not be affected by fae magic that blossoms on her thirtieth birthday. She does not fall immediately in love with the leader of the group, thankfully. That is a cliche that was avoided and it is a better story because of it.

The action is non-stop and made me have trouble putting it down s
Cynthia Cisneros
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Annabelle Morehouse
I paid 2.99 for this book and felt like this was a .99 book instead. If I had paid another price I might not be so let down. The positives in this book was that it was fantasy and the plot line was good. The negatives were that it was so close to the FaeFever books I didn't want to continue reading but the thing that made me wish I had just given up was the main female character. It's hard to remember when I disliked a character so much. She had major emotion changes that made the character so h ...more
Monteangelo
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Caitlin is my new hero! Blunt, honest, and a quick sense of humor sprinkled generously with sarcasm. She is the poster child for everyone who has ever looked at their life and wondered where the time has gone, and how the heck they ended up this far without any clear direction or focus. Her character immediately speaks to that part of you that daydreams over your coffee break of being something more, doing something meaningful, and yearns for the excitement of a flash of steel or tight fae abs; ...more
Charry
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was a good book with a strong female lead. The main character is not one that I love, but I think the author specifically tried to show her as flawed. She finds out she is suddenly part of a much bigger world and tries to figure out how to balance her new truth with her old truth. In some cases the lessons are pretty harsh. However I found myself thinking that the changes and growth are perhaps part of the origin development that leads to the wisdom that I see in some of my more mature heroes ...more
India Kells
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Turning 30 has never felt more exciting!
It's the first time I've read read a novel by Robin L. Cole and it's been a thrilling ride.
The story is great, but what really got me hooked were the characters, and especially, the dialogues.
Caitlin is full of funny replies and "blurted out" gems. She can whine a bit at times, but it's part of her charm and unique personality.
The more I read, the more the characters appeared layered, defined, with agendas of their own.
Some other characters, I grew attache
Shane
Jun 01, 2016 rated it liked it
I thought this was a good book, and I will be reading the next one. The protagonist was a bit of an internalizing, whiny ass baby. But she did learn, and try to move past it. Frustrating part was she just kept falling back into the whiny ass routine and mentally beat herself out of it. Too much of that gets repetitive and boring to the reader. The reader expects the protagonist to learn and grow without too much repeating the same lesson.

All the internal monologue was annoying.

The story itself
Michelle
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book, and am already anxiously awaiting the sequel. The author writes with such confidence that you get a feel for her heroine in the first few pages. Caitlin might be the definition of a reluctant hero, but that makes her story even more compelling. Cat's story shows what happens when everything you thought you knew is completely turned upside down. She finds strength she didn't know she has, as well as a dark side of things she could never fathom. A great book, and an incredibly i ...more
Jason
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story

This is a good story about a woman finding her place in the world as a heroine. A normal woman who overcomes many obstacles to help others.

Looking forward to finding out more about her family and I hope that jenni and her can become closer again
Laura Sausville
Ok

I enjoyed the story line, but found my self wanting to skip past some repetition in how the character was building herself into a warrior or bemoaning her existence and found it unnecessary. I don't think I will read the next one...
Kathryn Ryan
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It is is a saturated genre, but one I love. Cat is a great lead character. She is fun to learn about, as are the other characters. I think she might have done at least one the differently, at least going into the second book, but overall o enjoyed it and recommend it with glee.
Amanda
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
a must read

A definite must read. Very interesting, enjoyable and quick read. Can't wait to see what is next from this auther
Crystal
Decent start of series. not without a few flaws but nothing major.
Damien Hinck
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Awesome! I read it in a day, my daughter picked it up and read it in a day, my wife did the same! Can't wait for book 2!!!
Cass
Oct 06, 2015
Katie Knudsen
Jan 17, 2016
Carol Nemeth
Apr 11, 2016
Mander
rated it did not like it
Jan 05, 2018
Devaeriel
Nov 30, 2015
Apr 27, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Wolf's Heir (The Wild Rites Saga #3)
  • Destiny (Experimental Heart Book #1)
  • The Encounter (Boreal and John Grey, #1)
  • A Cross to Bear (Gabriella Cross, #1)
  • The McClane Apocalypse, Book 1
  • No Light (The Dems Trilogy #1)
  • Savior (The Inteli #1)
  • Small Treasures
  • Olivia
  • Fragile Brilliance (Shifters & Seers, #1)
  • Dark Promise (Promises, #1)
  • Bite
  • Dead Shifter Walking (The Succubus Executioner #1)
  • Hellsbane (Hellsbane #1)
  • The Tears of Elios (Elgean Chronicles, #1)
  • Blood Double (God Wars, #1)
  • GRINGA - In the Clutches of a Ruthless Drug-Lord (#4)
  • Derrick (Circe's Recruits, #3)
Robin L. Cole is a quirky New Jersey based indie urban fantasy author who likes to game, cook, and play with makeup when she is not writing. She is guilty of posting visual proof of all three of those hobbies far too frequently on Instagram.

Robin writes the dark and snarky, emotionally-driven urban fantasy series The Warding. "Iron" was her first full-length publication, and its sequel, "Faster,"

The Warding (3 books)
  • Faster (The Warding, #2)
  • First Hunt (The Warding, #1,5)