Start by marking “Phantom Embrace (Immortal Guardians, #5.5)” as Want to Read:
Phantom Embrace (Immortal Guardians, #5.5)

Phantom Embrace

(Immortal Guardians #5.5)

Across dimensions . . .

A gifted one, Yuri Sokolov was born with the ability to see spirits, but he knows better than to make contact with them. Yet he’s never seen one as lovely as Cat Seddon, the woman who haunts his home and his dreams. But amid their star-crossed love, a new danger may have Yuri facing a different kind of eternity.

Previously published
Published June 28th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Phantom Embrace, please sign up.

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
I'm gonna be honest and say I could have did without this book. Don't get me wrong I liked getting to know that Yuri got his HEA in a way since he was killed. I also liked that it took an edge off my sadness of him getting killing in the last book, but a lot of it was repeat from the last book. It got boring at points and I found myself wanting to skip ahead.
Dali
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Phantom Embrace, Dianne Duvall gives us the bittersweet story of Immortal Guardian Yuri Sokolov and Catherine Seddon. Don’t misunderstand, it’s a great story told like only Dianne can and it does have a happy ending. It’s just that loving a ghost has its drawbacks. But I’m getting ahead of myself.

Yuri’s immortal existence can be summed up in three words: “hunt, sleep, repeat.” For centuries he’s had his kindred and duties as a guardian. He’s also felt a deep loneliness. But since he was transferred frommyself.
AJ
Dec 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 stars!

I read this novella as part of the On The Hunt collection, and loved it!

Book 5.5 of the Immortal Guardians series, this short gives us the story of Immortal Guardian Yuri. Time-wise, it takes place during the events of Night Unbound, Zach and Lisette’s story, which is a hugely intense time for the Immortal Guardians. They are facing down an enemy unlike any they have seen before, and the warriors are under threat and gearing up for an epic battle.

But while it’s all going down, Yuri is falling
Emalie
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pre-order Phantom Embrace for just 1.99$ at the moment.

Note: I already read Phantom Embrace, when it got out in On The Hunt. Here is what I wrote for it.

I already knew how this one would end, since I read the other books in the Immortal Guardians series, but this novella makes the end of Night Unbound so much more bearable. The relationship between Yuri and Cat was cute and heartbreaking and I kind of hope to hear from those two again in a later Immortal Guardians book, but I'm not sure if it
Steph
Waaaaaah :( I didn't realize I'd read this short as a part of the On the Hunt anthology in 2015. So, the wait continues for the next full installment, Untitled.

Review: Duvall's short was the perfect salve for the wound left by the events of Night Unbound. The short picks up in the midst of/toward the latter half of the story told in that full installment.

Yuri Sokolov has always been able to see spirits however he's learned that to acknowledge them isn't always the best course of action. Yet, when he notices a myste/>
Trish R.
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Paranormal lovers
Recommended to Trish by: My daughter
Phantom Embrace (Novella 5.5 of the Immortal Guardians series.)

First read October 25, 2015.

As to this novella, it shows it’s the 5.5 novella on the list of Audible books of the Immortal Guardians series but, believe me, that’s wrong. In book 5, Night Unbound, Ami had her baby but in this novella about Yuri she hasn’t had the baby yet. So it was kind of weird reading about Ami’s big belly when I had just finished the book where she was born.

Anyway, it was good that Yuri only had a novell
*Flora*
2018 Review
You can read my full review on my WordPress blog, Flora's Musings...

So, what did I like about it?
I am a fan of Dianne Duvall’s writing style and find her books very easy to read; she writes intelligent, engaging stories with a collection of well written characters within an imaginative world that mixes fantasy and reality, creating a world that I can believe in. The pace of her stories is usually fast and full of action without being disorienting and I like that she combines a couple of plot lines to/>So,
Megan Riverina Romantics/Meggerfly
Rating: ❤❤❤❤.5
Heat Rating: 🔥🔥🔥
Malinda
4.5-5 stars

***Warning...spoilers are present in the review of this story****

Yuri is an Immortal Guardian and has spent the past 500 years hunting vampires and protecting humanity. TBH, I was really surprised to see that he got his own story because (as you'll know if you're current on the Immortal Guardians series) he dies at the end of book #5, Night Unbound. The majority of this story takes place during the time frame of Night Unbound, explaining how Yuri (who has a gift that enables h
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Originally read in the anthology On the Hunt which I rec'd from NetGalley

Immortal Guardian Yuri Sokolov can see spirits and he’s been obsessed with one he keeps seeing around. Cat Seddon has been a spirit for a very long time, but there’s something about Yuri that draws her. An immortal and a spirit, what kind of relationship are they going to have? Only one way to find out.

I love, love, love the Immortal Guardian series and this short story (#5.5) is a wonderful and unique
Priscilla
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my god! I love the Immortal Guardians soooo much! This short story is about Yuri and Cat. The thing about Cat is, she's dead. I'm really not a big fan of ghost romance stories, because the happy endings are still sad. Somehow though, I feel in love with this story maybe cause I already loved Yuri from the other stories or because this story told about Cat, the unfortunate sister to Bastien, I'm not sure. Dianne Duvall is all about the Happy Ending and I really cried at the end of this, I'm ac ...more
Cheesecake
I just read this as part of the Anthology, "On the Hunt". This was my favourite tale in the collection. A bitter sweet romance of star crossed lovers. There are a lot of spoilers in this one so I wouldn't read it until you have read 'Night Unbound' first. I have really enjoyed this series, but somehow this short story was so much more poignant than the other full length novels. I hope the author can somehow bring Yuri and Cat back into future stories.
I did not know anything about the story
Suzi (Obsessive Reading Disorder)
Forgot I read this in an anthology. Still good! Touching HEA for Yuri.
Crystal ♥ RBtWBC
3.5 Stars

With a story time-line parallel to Night Unbound in the Immortal Guardians series, Phantom Shadows explores the insurmountable love between the living and the dead.

Yuri Sokolov can see the dead, but he learned early on to never interact with them. Until he sees the deceased sister of a fellow Immortal Guardian. She wonders the halls of David's home and the streets of North Carolina. She enchants Yuri with her endless curiosity, and mystifies him with her melancholy. Cat Seddon fills her endless, lonely d
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
This is a short story that packed one heck of a wallop. Can a ghost who hasn’t passed on and an lonely, ancient Immortal find love? Heck yes! I loved every page.
(view spoiler)
CC
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
It is repetitive to Night Unbound, but I was so happy for Yuri. I am not a fan of stories with ghosts, but this one was good.
Debrac2014
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Good story, a tear jerker! We see the end of Night Unbound thru Yuri and Cat's eyes!
kookyquinn
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
FREAKING LOVED THIS NOVELLA!
Ingrid Thomas
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Can a love between two people in different realms exist? Can it find a way to surpass the odds and the difficulties and still bloom??

Those are the questions that Yuri and Cat need the answers to, and Dianne Duvall definitely delivers in this beautiful and bittersweet story!!!

‘So, ” Marcus spoke after a pause, “have you found it yet?“
“Found what?” Yuri asked absently, his mind a maelstrom.
“The catch, the downside to speaking to her” Yuri responded with a slow nod. “What is it?” Marcus asked curiously.

Tania
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dianne-duvall
NOTE: I already read this novella in the anthology "On the Hunt" by Alexandra Ivy, Rebecca Zanetti, Dianne Duvall and Hannah Jayne. This was my review of Ms. Duvall's story.

"Phantom Embrace" by Dianne Duvall. Book 5.5 in the Immortal Guardians series.

If I could give this story more than 5 stars, I would! You can read this novella as a stand alone BUT it is much more enjoyed if you have read the series. This story takes place during the same timeline as the previous book "Night Unb
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
Apr 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
I want to ask Dianne Duvall WHY!! did she charge $1.99 for a story her fans of the Immortal Guardians have already read? There is nothing new added to the IG storyline no new characters added. Everything in this story readers of the series have already read from the prior books in the series!! So Why? The only marginal difference is that we know Yuri who was killed in a prior book has been in love with Cat Saddon. Cat is the dead sister of the Immortal Guardian Bastian who though he was a vampir ...more
Jujubee
Dianne Duvall's heroes and world of immortals had me at book one with Roland Warbrook *swoon* Phantom Embrace was intriguing simply because it centers around two secondary characters, which in previous books did not seem to me they would ever need their own story.
So why did Yuri and Cat (Bastien's sister) find each other?
How did the author craft their romance? The author did them a solid on taking time to share their story with her readers. I won't give away anything away. And you do
♡ Jeri's Book Attic ♡ the Romance Bibiliophile ♡
Read as a part of "on the Hunt" and reviewed there ...

Angela Lover  of all Books No Matter How Horrid They Are ❤❂☠
I listened to this novella in On the Hunt (The Sentinels, #2.5; Immortal Guardians, #5.5; Underworld Detection Agency, #6.5; The Scorpius Syndrome #0.5) by Alexandra Ivy . Yuri or was a secondary character who is stoic and quiet. When he talks it is always important but he does not do a necessary ...more
Adriana
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While it was lovely to read about Yuri and Cat, their tale was the only one so far that was somewhat predictable. True, I had read Lisette's story first, so I had a preview of what would happen, still... A gifted one, Yuri Sokolov was born with the ability to see spirits, but life had taught him to never make the spirits aware of him. Yet when he sees Sebastian's dead sister around Seth's home, he can't help but think that she is the prettiest girl he's ever seen. In time, Yuri becomes so enthra ...more
Amyiw
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In "On the Hunt" Anthology which is Audible Escape

Really liked this one though some of the ending was a little heartbreaking. I read it right before Awaken the Darkness which is really needed since they were best friends.

(view spoiler)
Angela
**Contains Spoilers**

I loved this book. I kinda understand why Yuri's was a novella but I also kinda wanted more. I knew that Yuri died in the 5th book but when it got to that scene I cried as if it never happened before. I'm kinda hoping Marcus lets Bastain know about his sister's happily ever after. The very end made me cry even more. How happy they were running out in the sun. I just hope that find Stanoslov. I'm hoping he's not really dead that's why Yuri couldn't find him after
Sandy
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, romance
Sweet novella. It is another great change from other couples in the series which are immortals and humans, apart from Zach. I enjoy the different dynamic of the couple. There are less actions since Cat could not really kick anyone ass.

I'm happy to learn more about Yuri and Stan. I wish there are scenes which Yuri says goodbye to Seth or Marcus. Maybe in other books?
K
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A wonderful filling-in of the Immortal Guardians characters with a HEA I sincerely appreciated. Thank you Ms. Duvall! And the narrator - Kirsten Potter - for an impeccable performance which is consistent between books which I find extremely delightful. Now how does SETH get his HEA, if there is such for the most powerful IG on the planet?
Maria
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Intro into Yuri's life, is what the book is about. Almost bypassed reading this one as it felt like it was in the wrong order. Till now, I'm not sure where it fits in sequence. It relays Yuri's life with inclusions from previous books. Must say though, it felt like an abrupt ending. Interested to see where Yuri's role may/may not be in following books.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Dianne Duvall's I...: Yuri and Cat 11 18 May 03, 2018 06:01AM

• Predatory (The Sentinels, #0.5, Immortal Guardians, #3.5)
  • Eternal Flame Bundle (Night Watch, #1-3)
  • Mates: True and Eternal
  • Possessed by a Wolf (Horsemen, #3)
  • His Last (Unlikely Mates, #2)
  • Destiny United (Shadows of Destiny, #2)
  • Seduced by Blood (Sweetblood, #4)
  • Knead to Know (The Knead to Know Series Book 1)
  • Scarlet Heat (Born to Darkness, #2; Scarlet Heat, #0)
  • Taken by the Vampire King (Vampire Warrior Kings, #3)
  • Spider's Lullaby (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #1.5)
  • Josie's Miracle (White River Wolves, #1)
  • Savior (Keepers of Hell, #1)
  • Scorpius Rising (The Scorpius Syndrome #0.5)
  • Baby's Got Bite (Take It Like a Vamp, #2)
  • Dark Desires (Pure/ Dark Ones #3)
  • To Hell and Back (League of Guardians, #1.5)
  • Goddess Of The Grove (Druid, #2)

Dianne Duvall is the New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author of the Immortal Guardians and The Gifted Ones series. Reviewers have called Dianne's books "fast-paced and humorous" (Publishers Weekly), "utterly addictive" (RT Book Reviews), "extraordinary" (Long and Short Reviews), and "wonderfully imaginative" (The Romance Reviews). Her books have twice been nominated for RT Reviewers' Choice Awards and are routinely deemed Top Pic(RT(Publishers

Immortal Guardians (9 books)
  • Darkness Dawns (Immortal Guardians, #1)
  • Night Reigns (Immortal Guardians, #2)
  • Phantom Shadows (Immortal Guardians, #3)
  • Darkness Rises (Immortal Guardians, #4)
  • Night Unbound (Immortal Guardians, #5)
  • Shadows Strike (Immortal Guardians, #6)
  • Blade of Darkness (Immortal Guardians, #7)
  • Awaken the Darkness (Immortal Guardians #8)
  • Death of Darkness  (Immortal Guardians, #9)