Jump to ratings and reviews

Paper Planes Back Home

Librarian Note: this is an alternate cover edition for ASIN: B00SZQ9WFK.

When Gianna wakes up on a cloud, she is disoriented yet fascinated. She thinks she's only dreaming until she gets a storm of paper planes—"They're thoughts of people who remember," a man on another cloud tells her—each pleading for her not to leave. The man tells her these planes are the key to get out of there, and while she thinks it's hard to believe, she decides everything is worth trying if it meant finding her way back home.

147 pages, Kindle Edition

First published February 20, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Tara Frejas

15 books50 followers
Tara Frejas is a cloud-walker who needs caffeine to fuel her travels. By day, she works in project management and events, and she writes down her daydreams at night. She began publishing fiction for public consumption in 2004, posting her pieces on various online channels like fan forums and Blogspot, eventually exploring other avenues like Livejournal, Soomp!, Tumblr, and most recently, Wattpad.

Aside from her obvious love affair with words and persistent muses, Tara is very passionate about being caffeinated, musical theatre, certain genres of music, dancing, dogs, good food, and romancing Norae, her ukelele. She owns a 6-month-old male bunny named Max who sometimes tries to nibble on her writing notes.

Fun fact: She's a Piscean. Go figure.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (1%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 23 of 23 reviews
Profile Image for Paula M.
546 reviews643 followers
November 11, 2015

I can't seem to find the words that describes my feelings towards Paper Planes Back Home. All I know is my jaw dropped, my heart is full of FEELS and everything is just beautiful!

Just like I usually do, I went into reading PPBH without knowing anything about it. And that is not the way to go folks! I was really lost and for the first two chapters, I was confused. I think it was also because the book was not the kind that only focuses in two main characters. You might think that its a bad thing (Just like what I thought at first) but noooooo. Far from it. Tara Frejas did everything meticulously. The characterization was done very well. Its amazing how she can make the readers feel the depth of her characters and how she can make her character's emotions roll off through the pages easily.

The whole plot of the book is not something I've encountered before. It was really unique and one of a kind. And that's why I love the book even more. It was new and refreshing and the whole story will make you realize some things that will affect how you run your life.

The characters are all great. Nothing cliché and all were concrete characters that you will definitely be fond of. The realness is there and the genuineness of each one can be felt. It was a short book... but the impact was huge.

Paper Planes Back Home is the book that I've been waiting for from a Filipino author. It makes me proud and inspired. The book was full of emotions and it was poignant. I highly recommend Paper Planes Back Home for readers who are looking for a book that will touch every part of their hearts. It's romantic, hopeful and not a book I'll be forgetting soon. A must read!!b
Profile Image for Hazel (Stay Bookish).
635 reviews1,621 followers
January 11, 2018
I'm so impressed by how imaginative and unique this story is! It's really sweet and really touching too. This could totally be adapted into a film or a koreanovela.
Profile Image for Kim at Divergent Gryffindor.
470 reviews132 followers
May 4, 2018
This book is so simple, yet so sweet. I thought the story might be weird because of the synopsis, but it's actually whimsical and creative. Obviously, this would not happen in real life, but it tells such a great story nonetheless.

I was confused with the story at first, since it tells both past and present, as well as the ones in the hospital and the ones in the cloud. After a while though, I got the hang of it and really started to enjoy and get invested into the story.

I really connected with all of the characters in Paper Planes Back Home, and can I just say, I really love the title. I just can't really explain with words how much I enjoyed this, but I really did. It was heartfelt, and it made me feel a roller coaster of emotions. Overall, I just really enjoyed everything about this novel.
Profile Image for Tina.
444 reviews456 followers
December 22, 2015
Gianna wakes up on a cloud, and she's confused. What was she doing there? Then she meets Skylar, a soldier on another cloud, who tells her that the paper planes that were landing on their clouds were thoughts and messages of people who remember. It turns out they were in some kind of limbo, and the paper planes were their way back home.

I wasn't really sure what to make of Paper Planes Back Home when I first read its synopsis, because it didn't seem like the usual romance novel for me. But then again, it wasn't really just a simple romance novel. Tara Frejas' debut had love in almost all of its forms - romance, family, and friendship, and this is what makes this book the kind I think people will read regardless of the genre they usually try.

There's something heartwarming with how Tara wrote this book, and you can see that there's already a lot of heart in it. I loved the four main characters - Gianna, Skylar, Aaron, and Anna. They had very distinct voices, and they all had different goals and motivations in the story that tied up nicely when you get to the end. In a way, you can kind of see what's going to happen after all the situations were laid out, but even if it was predictable in that way, you won't really mind because you just want to have a good ending for all these people. They deserve it, after all that they've gone through.

And the world-building in this was on point, too. No one really knows what limbo, or after life is about, but reading this book would make you want to believe that what Tara wrote was real. It was easy to see that the world was lovingly created by the author, and I admit that I always liked it when the book was back on those clouds. There was also an element of fear there, but more of fear for the characters and what could happen to them there.

This book left me with a smile on my face, and some tears, too. It's not sad, although the premise seems like it. But trust me, warm, fuzzy feelings and happy tears will be around when you reach the end of this. :) And if you happen to be in the same shoes as Aaron in this book, Paper Planes Back Home   will give you hope that will make you send more thoughts and prayers, hoping that these will be strong enough to bring the person you love home.
The stronger the love, the stronger the plane.
Profile Image for Shai.
29 reviews
March 15, 2017
Too much feels, Tara Frejas did it once again. My heart is going to burst in different emotions. Aaaahh, def a must-read!!!
Profile Image for Jay Tria.
Author 15 books98 followers
October 25, 2015
Full review posted at www.jayetria.com as part of Bookies Diaries Book Tour.

I started reading Paper Planes Back Home days after I read the author's StrangeLit story called The Forget You Brew. So I already knew I was going to get another imaginative story that would make several attempts at making me cry. Spoiler alert: the book succeeded in both points.

Paper Planes Back Home starts out on a cloud, where Gianna wakes up and meets Skylar, who patiently explains that they are in a form of limbo, and they need paper planes--manifestations of the thoughts of people who love them--to get them back home. As I flipped through each page, I grew more fascinated by the depth of Frejas' imagination, from the creation of this world between worlds, to the rules of the game, to the twists and turns of the intertwining stories. The characterizations were rich, and although the story introduced quite a bevy of characters, the author did not fail to keep my attentions on Gianna, Skylar, Aaron and Anna. The development of each of their stories got me hooked at each turn, and I rooted for them all until the end. At times I could predict where the story was taking me, but most times I was pleasantly surprised, and I consumed each word with my heart fervently hoping for a happy ending for them all.
Profile Image for N.G. Peltier.
Author 3 books214 followers
February 22, 2018
omg this book is so beautiful and i'm legit crying because it was so lovely and the story was just perfectly executed.

When i started reading i was a bit confused but then as the story unfolded I was :O because the author weaves this so beautifully, this story of these people, some who know each other, some who don't initially but whose paths cross and connect and man i'm feeling all the feels right now.

Also what a beautiful and unique look at the afterlife. I was pleasantly surprised by this one :)
Profile Image for k.
161 reviews12 followers
April 13, 2017
THIS BOOK IS SO BEAUTIFUL, I'M CRYING *lots of crying emojis*

I bought this book because it was $0.99 and the blurb made me curious. It is a very original idea, after all, but I still didn't know what to expect. But then I started reading it and... it has been an amazing experience. It's been a while since I've had this "I can't stop reading itttt!!!" feeling towards a book, I kinda thought that feeling was gone for me, but nope! Here it is!

I love stories with more than one main character and more than one POV. And the four characters here are each their own person with their own experiences and feelings... I know it sounds like "well duh" but sometimes this isn't well done; falling into stereotypes or one-dimensional characters. That's not the case in this book, the characterization is well done and I liked these four people.

Do I wish this book was longer? Of course! I would love to know more about Anna and Chase. Or about Gianna's parents reaction and how's the business gonna be now. Or about Jeannie's life while Skylar was gone But does it need to be longer? Nope. The length is just right. The story is told in a precise way, not rushed, not too slow.

What Tara Frejas writes here, about the clouds and the paper planes... I kinda wish it was really like that. "Kinda" because it's sad if things don't go the right way, like Skylar not getting any planes or the little boy falling asleep so quickly. This is a limbo while in coma, though. I wonder how Tara Frejas imagines things would be once you die. I hope the whole "paper planes when someone remembers you" thing happens there too!
1 review
January 16, 2017
Reading this book makes me want to say that you are a female version of Mitch Albom :)
Profile Image for M.
231 reviews48 followers
October 10, 2017
I’ve been asking myself why it took me so long to read this book. I absolutely love Tara Frejas’ work and Paper Planes Back Home is no exception. It’s heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time. Yes as difficult that is to fathom, it’s what I felt while reading the book. I absolutely utterly love it.
Profile Image for Ysa Arcangel.
Author 14 books138 followers
October 31, 2015
Paper Planes Back Home follows the interconnected lives of Gianna, Aaron, Skylar and Anna that deals with life and death.

Gianna wakes up on a cloud, in a seemingly enchanted place. She met the soldier Skylar, whose been on the limbo clouds since how long he could remember. Both of their bodies are in coma and their souls were trapped in a sort of endless void instead of wandering wherever they will. I found it fascinating and refresing because so often, we read about a person hovering over their body or watching to see what happens afterward. In their case, we were able to follow along with them while they build their paper planes back home. They can’t fall asleep or else it'll be the end of them.

The paper planes are physical manifestation of their loved ones’ thoughts. The thoughts of those who remembers and who cares. The stronger the love, the stronger the paper plane.

A boy named, Jesse came and my heart sank when the boy fell asleep. Gianna was brave enough to jump to his cloud and wake him up. Phew!

The book is filled with parallels. On the other side, Aaron, Gianna's boyfriend and Anna, the kind-hearted nurse who tirelessly look after these two who believe that even when it feels like all is lost, there is always something there to hold on to, to come back to.

The book is filled with laughter and tears, happiness and sorrow. Being a registered nurse (who did not pursue her profession), I was specially affected by the subject matter and found myself completely engrossed in the plot line right from the very beginning. I found myself eventually sneaking the book under my desk at work.

It has a likeable characters - characters that are your usual cookie cut-outs contemporary fic heroines but are more diverse, convincing and real.

I was having movie moments while reading this book. The author used 3rd person omniscient POV, multiple scenes weaved in one chapter from different characters point of view. She pulled it off quite well but the only thing I would have adjusted is the head hopping. I just wanted to stay with atleast two characters in one scene instead of bouncing into various POVs through a chapter.

A scene where Gianna was back in Korea talking to his brother could have been more believable written in their native language. Like Spanish, I do believe Koreans speak their native tongue at home.

There are info that came from nowhere like when Aaron lights his cigarettes-his first in three years. Wait, was he a smoker? Since when?

However, the technical writing aspects are compensated by the heart and soul of this novel.

This was a promising debut novel. I found it truly inspiring and heartwarming.
Profile Image for Julie.
275 reviews53 followers
October 30, 2015
*I received a free ecopy of this book for the blog tour in exchange for my honest opinion.*

Paper Planes Back Home is a touching story of love, life, second chances, and how our thoughts make a difference. Tara Frejas delivers a remarkable debut novel.

Gianna wakes up on a cloud, which she later realizes as some sort of a limbo. She meets Skylar, another cloud-dweller, who helps her get her bearings and explains to her that the paper planes that she receives are thoughts of the people who remember her. These paper planes are her ticket back home – back to her life and to the man she loves.

The concept of the paper planes as physical manifestations of the thoughts of people around us is very unique and creative. I’ve never read anything like this before and I find it refreshing and different. The story generally has a somber tone but there are also parts that are heartwarming, especially towards the end. And the writing is beautiful! The words have a lyrical quality that feels like both a punch in the gut and a dull, slow ache in the chest.

The characters are interesting enough and I like how they all have their own stories. It’s as much as Anna’s story as it is Gianna’s or Skylar’s or Aaron’s. These four characters all get their moments and it is amazing how the author weaves all their stories together. And I love how the characters feel so real and human. It’s so easy to sympathize with them and a lot of times I found myself wanting to pull them out of my ebook reader and squish them all together in a big hug.

Paper Planes Back Home made me tear up more than a couple of times. I love the story, I love that it made me cry, I love the sad and happy moments, and I love how it ended. The only word I could think of to describe the ending is serendipity. You have to read the book to know why. Highly recommended!
Profile Image for Imogene Dacanay.
138 reviews67 followers
January 15, 2016
**Thank you so much Tara Frejas for providing me a copy of your amazing book!**

This one is another preternatural, but phenomenal read. Unlike The “Forget You” Brew, this book made me feel roller coaster of emotions. I can still feel my head spinning after having a roller coaster ride.

Gianna, a teacher who’s having an argument with her boyfriend, when a car accident happened. While in a coma, he met Skylar in a place that seemed like heaven. Skylar is a young soldier who had a trouble in the field. He rarely gets/receives Paper Planes- thoughts of people who care, who remember. While unconscious, Anna, takes care of him. Also there is Aaron, the ever sanguine, optimistic secret boyfriend of Gianna. Sole reason why she has a reason to go home, and the reason why she has strong paper planes. Strong paper planes can help her fly back home.

I loved how Tara brought back the memories, included flashbacks, and important happenings in the protagonists’ lives. In that way, readers will not be asking themselves how things happened, and why it happened. Furthermore, the characters’ reasons to hold on.

Reading the book, I admit that i felt mostly sad, melancholic. I started hurting for every character, I’m felt pain for them. I became truly envious of Gianna, Skylar, Aaron and Anna. Each of them, their determination, their positive mindset, their high hopes, full spirits, and them fighting, not wanting to give up.

It’s not the interest neither the curiosity that made me want to finish reading this book. It was hope. Hope that they will get what they deserve and end up being happy. That it will never be too late.

Though this book is short, it didn’t fail to leave a mark on my heart. The story presented a message that you’ll forever want to treasure.

Paper Planes Back Home, is one that you should never miss! I really am proud of you Tara! Another entrancingly written book that I’ve read of yours!
Profile Image for C. Erani Kole.
1,646 reviews46 followers
February 19, 2016
OH MY GOD.

This story was so beautifully executed with the most touching story of the in-between that I can think of, filled with so much imagination that made me think of pastel colors and this one amazing artist, Qing Han. It was just so mystical and touched every single button in me when it comes to heart and fantasy.

Many POVs are told from seemingly unrelated characters (but we all know they're related somehow) and although I stumbled in the beginning to get a hang of the change in scene, eventually, as each twist and turn revealed itself, the story became even more enticing. I can't believe how beautiful this was, it was just so... wow. WOW. WOOOOOOOW. The characters all had their dramas and faults but Gianna and Sky were the most enjoyable, mostly because they felt so pure even when they still had their negative thoughts and turmoil. I couldn't hate anyone, but I was very angry with G's parents and 'other' for making it harder on her and- UGH! They're the only ones to bring up my ire, especially because I couldn't fault them for being the way they were. T_T

This is such a hard recommend for me. The story just kept me turning the page, falling for all the stories and seeing them stitched together. I shed more than a few tears, and this left me in such a good mood. I can't find myself to think that anyone would NOT like this.
Profile Image for The Book Moo   .
196 reviews13 followers
October 19, 2015
This book is beautiful. I love that it is a representation of the limbo or in between that most families will have to be involved with at some point in their lives. On one hand we have a soldier and on the other we have a girl stuck in a business deal marriage. Two opposing characters who work to pull through. I loved this book and cannot wait to buy myself a physical copy!
Profile Image for Georgia Payne.
Author 4 books21 followers
January 1, 2016
Beautifully written book and certainly thinks outside of the box. The author takes something we're all interested in, the concept of life after death, and what happens when we're no longer in the physical world, and manifests it so well into the story. The ending actually brought tears to my eyes.
Profile Image for J.V. Mariano.
24 reviews4 followers
June 24, 2016
This was such an uplifting read. =)

(Finished reading the book minutes ago. Will try to gather thoughts and write a better review next time. Hehe. Warm and fuzzy feels all over.)
Profile Image for jess.
15 reviews
December 17, 2020
this might be too real for a fantasy. :)

you may think you have seen or read too many hospital griefs but this is different. the story explores grief and hope in the perspective of those who wait and whom is waited.
Profile Image for Jeanne.
122 reviews1 follower
March 13, 2018
Great read.

I really love the story. An emotional and fast read. I was crying a lot or the whole time with a hint of smile near the end.
Displaying 1 - 23 of 23 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.