Start by marking “Rufe den Donner (Star Trek: Vanguard, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rufe den Donner (Star Trek: Vanguard, #2)

Rufe den Donner

(Star Trek: Vanguard #2)

Am Rande des Krieges … Commodore Reyes kommandiert die Raumstation Vanguard. Die Spannungen zwischen dem Tholianischen und dem Klingonischen Reich nehmen zu: Schiffe der Großmächte werden von einem ominösen Feind angegriffen, sodass beide Fraktionen eine Verschwörung des anderen vermuten. Oder steckt gar die Föderation dahinter ... Kann die Vanguard-Crew verhindern, dass d ...more
Published April 11th 2008 by Cross Cult (first published July 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Rufe den Donner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rufe den Donner

Terence
May 15, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Original ST fans
Recommended to Terence by: Book 1 in the series
Shelves: sf-fantasy, star-trek
C.T. Phipps
SUMMON THE THUNDER is okay. I enjoyed it but I can't say I quite got the meal I was looking for out of this volume. Weirdly, I think it may have to do with the fact I was eager to get back into the character journeys of the vividly realized cast from HARBINGER but instead got a focus on the plot. The characters, however amusing Quinn and Pennington kidnapping a mob accountant may be, didn't seem to progress much in the story.

It says something I was more interested in the relationship of a Romul
Alex
Dayton Ward does his best David Mack impression and the results are entertaining and enjoyable. The humour and variety don't quite hit the spot quite as well but we get plenty of setup here and the Vanguard series wheels keep spinning along quite nicely. I'm continuing to enjoy the vast range of characters, the overt liberalness that tinges this particular Star Trek, the classic warmongering (and the Romulans make their entrance in a sneaky fashion this time around) and the pure - albeit generic ...more
Aron
Jan 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asap, st-vanguard
Even though it took me over a month to read it, it wasn't due lack if quality, I just couldn't find the time. But I thought it was a great follow to Harbinger, not as good as Harbinger but still a solid entry. The Shedai scenes & the character building was great. l think the overall Vanguard story is awsome, it's a little unpredictable as it seems the traditional Star Trek rules don't apply, people die regardless of rank or status,...fixin to jump right into Reap the Whirlwind! Loving this V ...more
G. K. Hunter
What Ward and Dayton do best is move an intricate plot forward with continuous interpersonal conflicts in an unfolding mystery about a newly discovered alien race. Its what I like most about Star Trek; the discovery of new life forms and civilizations. But I have a problem with this story. I don't care enough about any of the characters that Mack (in the first book) and Ward (in this book) have crafted to feel much of anything when they die or lose someone they care about. The authors hop around ...more
Tony
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This is the second book in the Vanguard series. The series is set in the Taurus Reach, with the Federation trying to examine clues to a discovered meta genome, while also navigating Tholian and Klingon activity, which happens to border this region of space.

It does a good job moving the story along. To me, this book felt it could have been a solid stand-alone Star Trek episode. Compared to the first entry, this one could feel a little slow at times. I think it was down to the writing style of th
Gustavo
While continuing the main story and doing good development on it. I think this books centers too much on overexposition and lessens the mistery.

It also has some deep incursions into repetitive instances of inner thoughts, and while the repetition works to a certain extent, it could have been done with far less instances with the same or greater effect.

It also leaves suggested but unresolved what is perhaps one of the perhaps more pivotal points in star trek. This might be the place where the k
Éric Kasprak
I guess slow burn would be the best way to descripbe this book (series). The writing is good, you don't really feel the change of author and the multiple story arcs are evolving nicely. I'm still having problem with the lack of action in the series (so far), but I think Star Trek as always been mre about human drama then action. The multiple strories are all interesting and the main mystery is well presented and preserve. When I'm in the right mood to read a slow moving novel, I go to this serie ...more
John R. Goyer
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second volume is as enjoyable and well written as the first. I'm enjoying the journey of this story very much, I'm just hoping that by the end, the secret of Taurus Reach will be worthy. Great characters and storyline so far.
M.R. Bowers
Jul 22, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Rough.
Richard Harrison
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took me a bit of time to get into this one after a very large gap since reading Harbinger but really got caught up in it towards the end. Hope I can get around to book three a lot quicker.
David King
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Summon The Thunder” by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore is the 2nd novel in the Star Trek: Vanguard series and follows on directly from its predecessor novel, “Harbinger”. With the main characters already established, the two authors have been able to write a story which concentrates on trying to unlock some of the mysteries of the Taurus Reach alongside further development of the characters.

Basically, following the destruction of a colony and starship the federation has uncovered another alien
Victor
Apr 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Star Trek book penned by Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore that I have read, and if I finish out this series it won't be the last. Since this is the second in a seven book series, it would be misguided to expect any large conclusions. The mystery, intrigue, and military maneuvers in the Taurus Reach is merely expanded, rather than explained. As a continuation of the series it succeeds on numerous levels. It is a solid representation of the Star Trek franchise, focusing more on dipl ...more
Jimyanni
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I thoroughly enjoyed the first book of this series; I suppose, to be consistent with what I've done in the past, I ought to dock it one star for not having a major plotline that actually begins and ends in the same book, but rather just being a continuation of all subplots without any real closure. But somehow, in this case, that didn't seem to be a problem; I'm not sure why, but I suppose it's because, while no subplot actually concluded, they were all left at reasonable break points. In any ca ...more
Shannon Appelcline
I found the first book in this series slow, and I was able to excuse that under the theory that it was setting things up. Unfortunately that slowness (and some continued setup, as we get fully introduced to the crew of the Endeavor) continues here. There are a few great action bits, and there are some nice character bits, but overall this book drags -- especially in the chapters dedicated to the various alien races rather than to the Federation & related people that we're actually coming to ...more
Bryan Williams
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second installment in the Vanguard series certainly moves the story along, but the grasp of the "Vanguard universe" is lost of this set of authors. David Mack is the "mack daddy" of Vanguard, having been the author the publisher approached to bring this series to life. He commands the knowledge of the settings and the characters better than anyone else. While it is definitely worth your while to read "Summon the Thunder" to move the story along, don't expect it to be as much of a page-turner ...more
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
It is somewhat difficult to keep up with all the characters..but that variability is also what gives this series part of its strength. You get to see events from the perspectives of all of the major 22nd century Trek powers (Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Tholian, Orion) and the operation of a Starbase from that era not just in a Starfleet capacity but through the eyes of a smuggler, an attorney, a journalist, an ambassadorial staff, and a spy.
Travis
Dec 13, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Lots of good ideas and interesting characters are drowned in sub-plots, story threads and an over arching story that stretches over three books and seems at time to be treated as not as important as all the sub-plots by the writers.

Feel like the book should come with a chart to help you keep track of it all and it stopped being fun or feeling like it was worth the effort and keep reading.

Shame, as the idea of a space station set during the TOS was great, but the execution was too much.
Andrew Maddox
Well I finally got through this. It took me a while for one reason or another and I can't say the series has me hooked just yet. It's a good story don't get me wrong but the characters arnt really gelling with me yet and the books seem a little over long for the story they are telling. I'm going to keep going with the series though despite this and I would recommend the series to the diehard star trek fans out there :)
Steve
3.5 stars. While I enjoyed the continuation of the story line that was set up here, and there was enough action and plot twists to keep me guessing, it didn't really feel as edgy as the first one, and the involvement of the Romulans felt like a sad trope that was trotted out because that's what is always done. There wasn't really a climax or even a resolution, but slightly more questions were answered, so I'm still looking forward to reading the next in the series.
Lee
Jan 28, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This was recommended to me by one or more Star Trek-related fora. It's pretty good, set in the same era as The Original Series, but not involving Kirk, Spock or McCoy as characters at all. The starbase in unclaimed space is a little reminiscient of DS9, but this one is not the same. There is still a mystery to be discovered, and I look forward to reading some more of this series.
Luke Sims-Jenkins
A cool continuation of the Vanguard series, but if you are looking for a novel with a full story then this might not be for you. This is like a TV show in book form. That might not work for some people, but I'm really enjoying this. Well rounded characters, twists, turns and everything that makes Star Trek fun
David Brawley
Sadly not as good as the first book in the series. It felt like there was just a little too much crammed in that just didn’t work. Forced humor, twists to the story line that kinda killed some of the tension...

If I could I'd rate it at 2.5 stars. Hopefully book 3 will be better, because i really think this series could tell some interesting stories.
Andrea
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Lots of different points of view really help to tell the story well. A bonus for me, who's not as up on Star Trek as my husband, is that there are less things that I had to look up online.
Luke
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid Star Trek Expansion

Summon the Thunder continues the solid expansion on the Original Series Star Trek milieu that defines the Vanguard series. Starfleet personnel contend with Klingons, Tholians, even civilians in a new sector of space.
Jack
Sep 29, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as impressive as the first in the series. Much of the book is a slow build to presumably huge events late in the series. Like Harbinger, it's engaging and the characters are strong for original tie-in creations, but it never quite reaches the crescendo you expect.
Tom
Jul 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one had more action and revealed more information. I thought too much time was spent in reviewing the actions of book #1. Several story arcs not all very interesting but may have bearing later on. Will move on to #3 Reap the Whirlwind.
Elijah
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be very well written with an extremely interesting plot- and the authors did an excellent job developing each of the multitude of characters. Overall, a very good read.
Justin
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scif-fi
long book with no climax and anti climatic beginning half way
  • Reap the Whirlwind (Star Trek: Vanguard, #3)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Glass Empires (Star Trek: Mirror Universe, #1)
  • Indistinguishable from Magic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Shards and Shadows (Star Trek: Mirror Universe, #3)
  • Children of the Storm (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)
  • Rough Beasts of Empire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #3)
  • Q & A (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Poisoned Chalice (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • The Sundered (Star Trek: The Lost Era, 2298)
  • Before Dishonor (Star Trek - The Next Generation: The Second Decade #4)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • Belle Terre (Star Trek: New Earth, #2)

Star Trek: Vanguard (9 books)
  • Harbinger (Star Trek: Vanguard, #1)
  • Reap the Whirlwind (Star Trek: Vanguard, #3)
  • Open Secrets (Star Trek: Vanguard, #4)
  • Precipice (Star Trek: Vanguard, #5)
  • Declassified (Star Trek: Vanguard, #6)
  • What Judgments Come (Star Trek: Vanguard, #7)
  • Storming Heaven (Star Trek: Vanguard, #8)
  • In Tempest's Wake (Star Trek: Vanguard, #9)